Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old October 30th, 2005, 8:33 pm
Shieldmaiden

I just want to say that I think the new debate threads are a great idea, and I want to thank the mods for setting them up. I understand they can get contentious, but they're important issues, and the climate for debating here is better than on most political forum's Ive checked out (which have basically no modding and everyone insulting each other, which doesn't contribute to logical, organized discussion).

Thanks for giving real debates another chance.

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 8:34 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorEowyn
I just want to say that I think the new debate threads are a great idea, and I want to thank the mods for setting them up. I understand they can get contentious, but they're important issues, and the climate for debating here is better than on most political forum's Ive checked out (which have basically no modding and everyone insulting each other, which doesn't contribute to logical, organized discussion).

No worries. Remember though that these puppies are still in prototype stages of evolution... They need tender loving and care from the members... So be good and play nice ^_^

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old October 30th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel
I hope you are not suggesting that our wonderful staff are like Fudge and Umbridge or that the forum rules are like Ministry decrees!
I would never!

I just thought it would be humorous. I just remember how wierd it was when I first signed up and how intimidating combing through those rules was. The title sticks with the Harry Potter theme and stays true to the general good nature of the forums. It doesn't take the importance out of the rules but allows you to smile while reading them and might help to ease those first day nerves.

Harry Potter Personality Quiz
by Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I always knew I was destined for great things.
Old October 30th, 2005, 10:21 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Thestrals
I would never!

I just thought it would be humorous. I just remember how wierd it was when I first signed up and how intimidating combing through those rules was. The title sticks with the Harry Potter theme and stays true to the general good nature of the forums. It doesn't take the importance out of the rules but allows you to smile while reading them and might help to ease those first day nerves.
That's a really cool idea .

Old October 31st, 2005, 1:28 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorEowyn

I agree totally. The debate openings are great. I keep coming back to debate at the COS forums because of the moderation especially. You guys do a good job of calming everyone down (including me )when needed. Keep up the good work and thanks for opening the debates.

What would the staff think about a new debate thread on gun control?

Old October 31st, 2005, 2:12 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert
What would the staff think about a new debate thread on gun control?
I'm sure we'll get around to it

Old October 31st, 2005, 4:21 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
I'm sure we'll get around to it
Thanks! No rush though, just a thought.

Old October 31st, 2005, 12:58 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505
May I suggest a review of the Daily Prophet Guidelines? They are slightly out of date, and not very informative.

For example; people often post links to sites which sell things, and moderators delete/lock them because it is not allowed. HOWEVER the guidelines do not state this.

People are not clear on each website only being allowed one thread either, many people post new threads if thier thread is not on the first page; more awareness of the seach utility in DP would be brilliant and would save moderators much time I would imagine.
Just wondered if this is being concidered or not

Thanks guys

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:40 am
Genius Loci

Daily Prophet is on my list of things to do in the near future. Nothing dramatic, just a relaunch.

Old November 1st, 2005, 11:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
Daily Prophet is on my list of things to do in the near future. Nothing dramatic, just a relaunch.
Yeipeee!! Thanks Morgoth

Old November 2nd, 2005, 8:23 am
Zonko's Employee

Can we get a poll for the areas of the world where everyone comes from? I know we've got the introductions thread, but a poll would make it easy to see what percentage of members are from where, while still providing them a chance to keep to keep their location secret if they want (we can't see who voted for what).

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 8:42 am
Genius Loci

Okay, I'll see what the other staff say

Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:27 am
oooooh spaaaaarkly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
Can we get a poll for the areas of the world where everyone comes from? I know we've got the introductions thread, but a poll would make it easy to see what percentage of members are from where, while still providing them a chance to keep to keep their location secret if they want (we can't see who voted for what).
Good Idea... I would really like to know if there are any other Greek members here, or am I the only one?

I am the Amazing Pixie Queen! Meet the members of my family and the Royal Court: Brian is my adopted son and Abby my daughter in law.Rell, Hes, Nadia, Heike, Audrey, Mave, Kaz, Donks, Bethany, Maryssa, Lisa and Giulia are my lovely pixie sisters!KitKat and Josh are my pixie brothers.Bill is the King . Matty is my Nephew and Kim8 is my Niece. Celest is my Godmother. Elaina and Evie are the princesses, Chris is the Royal advisor, Poofy is the Court Lawyer, Drew is the Grand Duke, Rusty is the royal fashion advisor & Julie is the Royal Doctor.
Kim (Kimagine) is my Royal Sister the Amazon Queen.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 5:59 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
Morgoth; just had another idea... Well Jessica enspired me lol. Perhaps Daily Prophet should be split up into sections for RP forums, General Forums, Supersites, Small Sites, Webmaster Resource Sites (and other sections that you can think of)?

Rich

Old November 2nd, 2005, 9:02 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505
Morgoth; just had another idea... Well Jessica enspired me lol. Perhaps Daily Prophet should be split up into sections for RP forums, General Forums, Supersites, Small Sites, Webmaster Resource Sites (and other sections that you can think of)?

Rich
As Morgoth said he's going to look at the area when he gets a chance.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 9:04 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
As Morgoth said he's going to look at the area when he gets a chance.
Sorry. Just an idea. Sorry.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 4:27 am
Sixth Year

Sorry if I seem pushy but am I too off the wall with my suggestion? I am speaking complete lunacy or is it something that could be considered?

Harry Potter Personality Quiz
by Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I always knew I was destined for great things.
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:44 pm
oooooh spaaaaarkly...

I dont think that you are pushy, but the staff are so busy, that they probably need a bit more time.
Although I think that your idea is quite good, despite the fact that it evades the issue a bit. They are not decrees, just rules.... But it would be funny.

I am the Amazing Pixie Queen! Meet the members of my family and the Royal Court: Brian is my adopted son and Abby my daughter in law.Rell, Hes, Nadia, Heike, Audrey, Mave, Kaz, Donks, Bethany, Maryssa, Lisa and Giulia are my lovely pixie sisters!KitKat and Josh are my pixie brothers.Bill is the King . Matty is my Nephew and Kim8 is my Niece. Celest is my Godmother. Elaina and Evie are the princesses, Chris is the Royal advisor, Poofy is the Court Lawyer, Drew is the Grand Duke, Rusty is the royal fashion advisor & Julie is the Royal Doctor.
Kim (Kimagine) is my Royal Sister the Amazon Queen.
Old November 5th, 2005, 12:21 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkie
I dont think that you are pushy, but the staff are so busy, that they probably need a bit more time.
Although I think that your idea is quite good, despite the fact that it evades the issue a bit. They are not decrees, just rules.... But it would be funny.
We like the way the rules look now. Not saying your suggestion isnt ok, but we prefer rules to simple and straightforward. Thats all.

Old November 6th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Third Year

Well...here I am, with my suggestion to eat up more of the Mods' valuable time!
I don't really think that the Little Questions thread is working as well as it could be. We gets lots of people asking the same thing (eg. Don't they ever shower????) over and over again, not bothering to read through nearly 4 threads, which is about 5 500 posts - quite understandable. My suggestion would be:
1. A person asks a question, then lets someone answer them.
The next step depends on the nature of the question. If the question asked is a fact question, go straight to #3.
2. The question is discussed by people. When the person posing the question feels they have got a satisfactory answer, they wait for some more time (a day, two?) in case a groundbreaking theory will show up.
3. The person asking will then edit their post with the question and add the full answer that has been come up with (including all theories and unanswered questions).
4. A Mod will from time to time check the LQ thread and move all the Q&A posts into a locked thread in the Reference Books section, to which people asking similar questions can in the future be directed. The smart ones will check it out before asking
5. The discussion will be deleted, thus leaving CoS with lots more server space and freeing members of the need to look through tens of posts.
I understand it means more work for the staff. This is merely a crazy suggestion

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services