Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2013, 1:36 am
Second Year

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

I've been a member since 2007, after I lurked in 2006. It saddens me that it comes to this, but I understand Morgoth's decision.
It was a real pleasure to visit this forum. My threads didn't have a lot of replies (even though the topics were interesting), but I forgive you, folks.

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2013, 1:57 am
Unspeakable

I'm so sorry to see this site go, but I understand. I have been a member since I was in high school (It will have bee ten years about the time it closes ), and now I'm in grad school, am working and married. Even though I haven't been very active I have so many memories of this site. It was a huge part of a my Harry Potter experience and, for a while, was a fairly significant part of my life. I learned a lot during my time here, grew up a lot, 'met' some very good and interesting people and of course I had a lot of fun. This is still my favorite Harry Potter website of all time! Thank you for everything you've done over the years and for allowing me to be a part of it.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; March 31st, 2013 at 2:04 am.
Old March 31st, 2013, 2:22 am
Squee-worthy

Like others have said, I'm terribly sad to see the site go. While I've stopped coming so much lately (and even then only to the political forums) this site has been a huge part of my life and made the Harry Potter experience something so much more than reading a book.

I made so many friends here throughout the years and the site has influenced me in ways I can't even count and for that I am deeply and truly thankful. I opened my account here when I was starting high school and I'll soon graduate college. It was as much of my upbringing as Harry Potter itself was. I never thought when I joined here that it would be more than a place to talk about Harry Potter but it became so much more.

For anyone that pops in the thread that I'm not already connected with elsewhere and would like to stay in touch, please just send me an owl. I'd love to keep the friendships I have developed.

Old March 31st, 2013, 3:30 am
Fourth Year

It's really sad to find out that the forum will close, despite the fact that I understand the reasons. I have to say to everyone that really worked so hard during all this years on the forum a huge THANK YOU!!

Cos was really an important part of my life because I've made so many great friends here, some of them friends now for 8 years and some that I was fortunate to meet in real life as well. The great thing about Cos is that despite the fact that many of us came here because of Harry Potter we end up talking about everything in an amazing and friendly way. There's no forum as CoS anywhere, so is very sad to know that it will close.

I will always treasure the CoS experience, the friends that I made, the fun that I had in the shack, with the contests, with the amazing fanfictions that I was fortunate to read here, the friendly and respectful debates and finally with the help that I got it so often here in many subjects (from cooking recipes to software tutorials and even lessons on baseball and football rules).

I wish you all the best and I can't thank you enough!

Old March 31st, 2013, 3:38 am
Gryffindor's Smiley Champion

Even though I haven't been on much the last couple of years, I was always comforted by the knowledge that I could come back if I ever found time. So many good friends on here.

Thank you, Morgoth, for providing a wonderful place to gain friends and to all the people who helped run/moderate the site. It was always family friendly and a fun place to come. The games and contests were great fun and a chance to learn new skills and stretch ourselves. Thank you all for being much more than HP friends!

Someone earlier asked about a COS group on Facebook. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1925...group_activity

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has manyŚnot on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.ŚCharles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.
Davy Crockett learned a valuable lesson our current congress should learn.

Old March 31st, 2013, 4:41 am
Member of the Order

Just a quick post and run...The Leakey Lounge Forums seems to have been redone. It's...well, I guess it's a refuge of a sort.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old March 31st, 2013, 4:55 am
First Year

I am so sorry to see the forums close. I always enjoyed checking them and communicating with others who loved Harry Potter as much as I did. Matt (or Morgoth) I thank you so much for creating what you have, and I am so sorry that it just didn't work. I'd like to thank all the other staff members too.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649
Old March 31st, 2013, 5:21 am
Seventh Year

Are you sure there are not any free forums that this site could be transferred to?

ALso this may seems like a odd request but how big is the forum and is it possible you could turn the forum into one big download for anyone wishing to keep all the information in the forum after it has gone offline?

Old March 31st, 2013, 6:09 am
Member of the Order

Hmmm...Open Hogsmeade? Give everyone a chance to go arcade crazy.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old March 31st, 2013, 6:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Wow... This is really sad news. Thankyou sooooo much for these past years. I met some wonderful people in here , people who really came to be dear , very dear friends. I had some of the best discussions ever, and its sad it has to close but I totally understand. For what it is worth, I am grateful for this site , it offered everything a Potterfan like myself needed .Thank you so much. I did not visit often anymore cause it was not good for my real life, I got easily hooked, but I know some of my friends still did. So if any of them reads this, guys it was a pleasure sharing the Potter experience with you.Thankyou for allowing me to share it with you . Thank you MOrgoth and thank you , thank you COS.
Wow, this is like closing book seven for the fist time. its heart breaking...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old March 31st, 2013, 7:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Just a quick post and run...The Leakey Lounge Forums seems to have been redone. It's...well, I guess it's a refuge of a sort.
Yeah but look through the threads... tons and tons of spam

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old March 31st, 2013, 7:34 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Definitely not the same.

Old March 31st, 2013, 11:20 am
She Who Walks Behind

Nothing can replace CoS.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 31st, 2013, 2:05 pm
Third Year

I haven't been on this site for a couple of years, but I read saw the LJ notification about the forum closing down. I'm sorry to hear you've decided to close down, but with decreased traffic and how much running a forum costs, I completely understand.

Thank you Morgoth and all the other mods/ staff who've dedicated time and money over the last ten years to making this forum such a wonderful place for Harry Potter fans. I made some wonderful friends here, and had some great times.

I'll miss you. <3

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old March 31st, 2013, 3:19 pm
First Year

I'm so sad that the site has to go. I had abandoned Leaky because I thought that this was just an overall better site, and I was still hoping to make a few friends who understand my HP love, even after all these years. (My Muggle friends just don't understand lol). I'm still kind of a newcomer to the Potter fandom, trying to make up for the days of book releases and pre-publication theorizing that I missed out on. Maybe that's why this site has meant so much to be. I guess now that I know my time is limited I'll spend more time here.

Where do you guys plan to go from here? Like I said, Leaky doesn't seem to be doing much right now, but if there's another site that many of you are gravitating towards, I will probably follow.

That said, I understand why CoS has to go. It's not fair that one person should have to continue paying for all this, though, when it's not worth it. Thank you for all the hard work and money you've invested in CoS. It's meant to much to many of us.

Old March 31st, 2013, 5:07 pm
Third Year

It's been some time since I've been on but I came back because I heard it was officially closing. I wanted to take this time to say thank you for the good times, the friends I made here were fantastic people. I wish you all the best of luck.

Old March 31st, 2013, 8:11 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese ToupeÚ & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Hmmm...Open Hogsmeade? Give everyone a chance to go arcade crazy.
Second this. It would be a nice way to thank those who supported the forums over the years.

Just had an idea, I'm on a forum that's being run by a public social media company called, Crowdgather. They pretty much bought up the forum and let it continue to run as it always has.

It's far from perfect, but from the looks of things, the forums are still running ok.

Some information about it

Disclaimer: from crowdgather.com

Not sure if this could even be an option, but I thought it might be something that could be thrown out there.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; March 31st, 2013 at 8:54 pm.
Old March 31st, 2013, 8:12 pm
Member of the Order

Matt,

I just heard about this on facebook and I wanted to thank you for all the good memories and wonderful friendships I made here. It was an amazing gift and I deeply appreciate it. Live long and prosper.

Old March 31st, 2013, 9:12 pm
Seventh Year

Matt, team and contributers,

It has been a fantastic run. I'm sad to see this go. But I completely understand the reasons. My best to everyone.

Old March 31st, 2013, 9:22 pm
Second Year

Hi Matt, I hope this ending brings a new and wonderful beginning for you. Those of us who love Harry Potter, (me, I'm a Snapeaholic) will always hold the books in our hearts.Good literature never dies.