Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

You can never be too old for Potter.

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2007, 5:38 am
Third Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8m57w6 View Post
I'm not even over 16, and I've been told I'm too old for HP!!! I've been told that it's just a kids book, and is so predictable, and that it's not really all that complex, and that before each book comes out, Jo has to re-build her fanbase, because most of the people who liked it grew up and moved on. However, all of this was said to me by someone who didn't know what a fan I really am, and it took everything I had not to go into full blown fan mode on them. But I completely agree. I don't think there is an age limit on these books, and anyone who says there is probably hasn't actually read them.

"EAR'EAR'!" You have no idea how many times i've been told to get a life because of my slightly obsessive Harry Potter fandome! HAHA!! I love the books and I don't care what anybody else says. Some parts are somewhat predictable, but I think that you're still on the edge of your seat enough that the predictablaty is fine, and in the Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny things I like that it's predictable!
I also agree with the if they say that they've not read it YET.
I attend an art school, and every person who attends it loves it!!!
my uncles(50+) also read it along with all my cousins (22+)

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old September 18th, 2007, 5:43 am
The Fairy Godmother

I really don't think anyone is 'too old for Harry Potter'. It's a wonderful series that sparks the imagination. Any book that encourages so many people from so many walks of life to come together and share a bit of themselves is fit for most any age.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Old September 18th, 2007, 8:33 am
Fifth Year

I'm 23 and I've sometimes been looked at stupidly because I've read Harry Potter and am quite obsessed! But i've met lots of older people who loves the books as well - there's a woman in the office i'm working in who is on her 4th read of DH!

So, no I don't think you're ever too old for Harry Potter as long as you enjoy the books. So stay true to your love of all things Harry Potter

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:11 pm
First Year

No one is too old for HP, I know I never will be.
I am only twelve, and I already have people telling me to get a life or calling me a baby for reading it.

|MURDERDOF|
Old September 18th, 2007, 1:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by accioluminos View Post
You can never be too old for Potter.
Agreed! I wasn't exactly a child when I started reading the books though! I don't think you can put on age on something like this - if you get enjoyment from reading HP, it doesn't matter how old you are!

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old September 18th, 2007, 4:25 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
Agreed! I wasn't exactly a child when I started reading the books though! I don't think you can put on age on something like this - if you get enjoyment from reading HP, it doesn't matter how old you are!
You couldn't have put it any better! . There can be no limit to enjoy life and to enjoy books like Harry Potter. I love the series more today than I did the first time I read it some ten years ago! I grew up with these books... I will never ever be ashamed to proclaim my love for Sirius!!!!

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old September 18th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Second Year

I'm 26 and I dont' think I'm too old at all.

I have a friend at church who's like in her fifties and she said she had a friend who is a huge fan, she says she read them and like them

and when I was sitting in Panera Bread reading HBP again the other day a lady that looked like she was in her fifties or sixties came up to me and was like Oohhh I love those books, and preceded to ask me had I finished the series and what did I think, so I don't think they have an age limit.

"It's like crack" - Jason Isaacs refering to the addictiveness of Harry Potter

Gryffindor! -be sorted @ nimbo.net
Old September 18th, 2007, 5:47 pm
First Year

i was told by my family a couple of years ago when the 6th book came out that i was getting to old to read it!
i was like..."it's a series of books i can't stop reading now!"
they haven't said it since.
i love them anyway,so i don't really care if anyone thinks i am to old for them.
who says they have to just be for kids?
you can never be to old in my opinion.if you enjoy it you should carry on! age is no barrier!

i even got my aunt into reading them and she is 48!

Sirius: "Be quiet yourself, Remus!"
Snape: "Listen to you two, quarrelling like an old married couple"
Old September 19th, 2007, 5:19 pm
First Year

Your never to old for Harry Potter. My grandpa has read (and likes) all of them and he is 73.

Buttercup: We'll never survive.
Westly: Nonsense your only saying that because nobody ever has.
Old September 19th, 2007, 6:04 pm
First Year

No one is too old to be entertained and that is exactly what the Harry Potter series does!

For the record I'm 39 years old and didn't start reading the books until I was in my late 20's.

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

My favorite thing after the release of DH was noticing all the grown-ups commuting to work on the New York City subway noses deep in their books, or seeing people walking around on the sidewalk while reading. None of these people were kids, and clearly none of them could put the book down.

I think Jo said it best when she said that she writes things that she'd want to read. And as Stephen King said, the Harry books are basically ageless because Harry continues to grow up through the series. If we were constantly reading about an 11 year old, maybe the books would stay books for 11 year olds. But Harry grows and matures and takes on the tasks and responsibilities of an adult.

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:57 pm
First Year

I am a Harry Potter fanatic...my screen saver at work is an image of Harry Potter Trading Cards!!! I love the image and when people ask I proudly tell them it is Harry Potter and I stick out my tongue like a truly grown-up 22 year old when they poke fun at me!

"I'd like you to have something to remember me by, you know,
if you meet some veela when you're off doing whatever you're doing."
"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."
"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him...

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Second Year

I've been told plenty of times that i'm too old to be reading Harry Potter and I'm only seventeen! In back-up for my argument, however, I say "Well if I'm too old for Harry Potter, then that's saying that we're all too old to celebrate Halloween or Christmas but we still do" or I tell them I know plenty of people way older than me (ie: my english teachers) who love Harry Potter.

No one is ever EVER too old for something as long as they love it. The moment you stop loving whatever you are "too old" for, however, then yes, you are too old.

Hi, I'm Dannie. I dance, sing, and act. I love Harry Potter. I like using words like glorious, amazing, phenomenal, gorgeous, and beautiful.
"There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet." Took them long enough...
My Photography
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:59 am
Third Year

Im 42 and could careless what people think, I love the Harry Potter series and I will keep reading them as long as I am breathing.

Old September 21st, 2007, 1:56 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

No one's too old to read Harry Potter as has been proven throughout this thread. I'm 25 and I love good children's literature, because I feel the themes and plots are just better than most of the "adult" literature. I do read stuff for my own age, but I'm not afraid to pick up a good piece of children's literature every now and then. Heck, back in college, I took every children's lit class offered. It was one of those classes that introduced me to Harry Potter!
I'm actually glad HP is classified as children's lit. If not, I think we'd be having the discussion on "Are we too young for Harry Potter" on a more serious level.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 21st, 2007, 4:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
Totally agree with you. I don't think i will EVER be too old for this wonderful books and most of my family started reading because of me. My brothers (28 and 30 yrs old) have read them all and they like the series they're not big fans like me but still they enjoyed them and my dad (57 yrs old) he's still reading DH ( I know right how can he take so long...) and we like it so i guess there really is no age for this awesome book!!!

Old September 21st, 2007, 5:04 am
Ordo Lebes

Pah, there's no age limit for Harry Potter. When I went to Prophecy, a Harry Potter symposium, the majority of attendees were around 20-30 years old, but there were also quite a few 40-50 year olds, or even more. It was really great, actually.

I rewent to see OotP with a few family members at one point this summer, and I was the only person under 40, lol. Everyone had read all seven books (we saw it mid-August) at least once, though my uncle is almost as obsessed as I am, and has read them quite a few times over, too. And he's about 50 by now.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old September 21st, 2007, 5:22 am
First Year

I'm 35 and there is no way I'm too old for HP - being older just means you appreciate the books more.

Old September 21st, 2007, 5:35 am
First Year

I love it when people tell me it's a children's book! I simply say it's one of the best written ones ever....much like LOTR or Chronicles of Narnia. Then I say, just try it, you might like it.

I was turned on to HP rather later than most, only having been reading the books for about 5 years now (I started right before OOTP came out). But, I was instantly hooked and smitten with the glorious story. But, I have to agree with whomever said that the series covers some pretty dark subjects. My oldest daughter is 6 years old and while she's seen all the films (except OOTP), I've only just begun reading the SS with her. I don't want to jump into too much deep stuff just yet.

But, in reality, to those that tell me I'm too old, Oh well! I'm young at heart!
BTW, I more often see adults in waiting rooms, etc. reading the book.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak