Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Defender of Dogs

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

A ninety year-old lady who thinks Dumby's "hot"? Now that's something I've never heard of before.

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I hadn't known that, that Jo didn't write it as "kiddie lit" books. I did find the series, especially from GoF on, not at all for younger children (though they do seem to enjoy it). And it was a friend past 60 who put me up to reading them, not the one I mention above, someone else. Up to then, I had dismissed HP as children's books and didn't bother. I didn't know what I was missing!

What irks me is that newspapers like the NY Times still won't put those books on the mainstream best-seller list, though they did review it. Not on the best-seller list when it outsold anything in sight and broke all the all-time records!
Actually, the history of "children's" tales, or as they of course became known later, "fairy tales", were never the kind, fluffy stories we find on book shelves today. I mean, just read the classic children's tales in any culture, they're fairly scary and brutal, and often deal with loss, cruelty and death. I agree there may be an age too young for some of those tales, including HP, but I find that most children are sophisticated beings who would have no problem with any of them.

And yes, the NY Times and those other papers irk me as well. Kind of uppity of them, isn't it?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Banned

Oh please... I'm sure the creators of this sites, Aurors, Unspeakables, etc. are all older than 16. I'm more than twice that. There are members here who are over (gasp) 50 years old. All those people have read the books, or they wouldn't be here. They certainly didn't feel they were too old.

Plus, after GoF, this was really not a children's books series any more. I learned recently that JKR never meant it to be, it was the publishers of the first book's decision.

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
Plus, after GoF, this was really not a children's books series any more. I learned recently that JKR never meant it to be, it was the publishers of the first book's decision.
I absolutely agree. The Harry Potter books are so, so, far from children's books.

Old September 15th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyWheezes View Post
Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !
I am 38 and no-one has ever called me a nutter for reading and liking the Harry Potter books.
Yeah, well, you collect plugs, don't you? Birds of a feather...
Sorry about that. Sometimes the cat gets at the keyboard when I have my back turned. Please ignore her.

I was first turned onto the books by my wife and my then 5-year-old cousin (who thought my wife was the slammin'est thing since velcro sneaker fasteners when he found out she knew all about Quidditch and Hagrid and the Sorting Hat). The first movie was on the TV the next day after that encounter - I was so impressed I started in on the books.

We then turned my mother onto the books. She hasn't gotten all the way through the series yet. She got a little bogged down when we bought her the Irish translation of Philosopher's Stone. Her Gaelic's a little rusty, but she's working through it side-by-side with an American print.

Old September 16th, 2007, 3:47 am
Third Year

I'm too old for a lot of things, but sitting in my rocking chair reading Harry Potter is something I find quite easy.

Not too many of my contemporaries are eager to discuss Harry Potter theories at length, unfortunately, but thank goodness I have all the wonderful minds of all ages here to share my obsession.

Old September 16th, 2007, 5:15 am
Fifth Year

There is no such thing as being to old to read any book really.

Sometime when I have some spare time I will open up a book I read as a small kid.

You are also never to old to be a big fan of anything! I am 21 and a proud HP fan!

Check out my podcast: www.myspace.com/threewisemenshow
or go to itunes and search for "three wise men"
Old September 16th, 2007, 9:51 am
Fifth Year

I'm 59, am I too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:21 am

If you ever cared about what someone thought, you deserve your own self-doubt

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:42 am
First Year

no because children dont tend to read books the size of bricks do they.
i thought dh was a bit gruesome in my 1st reading of it and im 18

Old September 16th, 2007, 11:44 am
Beauxbatons Champion

I don't think so.

I'm positively delighted when I see or speak to adults reading Harry Potter. It makes me realise just how wonderful JKR is and how great her books are. They've reached to children as young as 5 and adults as old as 99. It's just extraordinary

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 16th, 2007, 6:53 pm
Sixth Year

I'm only 15 and i don't think i am too old for it (though i have been told by several people how childish i was for stilll liking them. I've grown up with HP for 9 years, and still am not tired of it

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old September 16th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Second Year

My parents think I'm very sad to read and re-read the HP books and many people in my year say that it's sad (but they know rather alot about the books. hmmmm) but I don't care. I think that anyone can read and enjoy the books.

Slytherin and Spectacular
'I'm very brave generally, only today I happen to have a headache' - Lewis Carroll

Old September 16th, 2007, 7:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrewtmaster View Post
My parents think I'm very sad to read and re-read the HP books and many people in my year say that it's sad (but they know rather alot about the books. hmmmm) but I don't care. I think that anyone can read and enjoy the books.
I dont think your parents think you are sad , if you asked them to read one or two of the books, then maybe they will understand what good reading they are. And as for your fellow students maybe they ,like most people in the world LOVE HARRY POTTER !(just in secret)

Old September 16th, 2007, 8:40 pm
First Year

Noone is too old!! People tell my momma that she is too old for Harry Potter and she is only 36, and people tell me I'm too old and I just turned 16 yesterday!!! My grandmother especially!! Of course she doesn't like HP........

Old September 17th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyWheezes View Post
Has any older readers been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !
No. Why should teens and kids have the monopoly on fun and imagination? From time to time I get a little tired of the oversexed tripe that passes for entertainment these days (gratuitous sex does not equal plot, tyvm), and HP is a nice break. My friends don't want to talk about it or don't read the books, so I come here. If it makes you happy, who cares?

I think we had a thread for older readers before DH- not sure where that went, but it was nice. You're in good company.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old September 17th, 2007, 8:41 pm
Ultimate Dog Lover

You know, it's true. I've read a few "adult" books lately and was sadly disappointed in them. Give this middle-aged girl Harry Potter any day.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old September 17th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Eldest Gruff

Pretty obviously people of all age read and enjoy Harry Potter - and people with the most different background.

I don't think people are ever 'too old' for anything.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 17th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
No. Why should teens and kids have the monopoly on fun and imagination? From time to time I get a little tired of the oversexed tripe that passes for entertainment these days (gratuitous sex does not equal plot, tyvm), and HP is a nice break. My friends don't want to talk about it or don't read the books, so I come here. If it makes you happy, who cares?

I think we had a thread for older readers before DH- not sure where that went, but it was nice. You're in good company.
Actually, there are some so-called adult (I mean mainstream) books that I do enjoy (no sex scenes, just good plots, good premises). But I agree Harry Potter is a nice break from the nitty-gritty. Not that there isn't realism and dark spots in HP but you know that it's an imaginary world, compared to, say, Richard North Patterson's passionate pleas on very adult themes like the death penalty (which doesn't seem to keep Voldemort from his sleep, if he does sleep, at least he has no qualms about it) or the Right to Choose and other such themes.

Yes I do remember a thread about "older readers" too. I haven't seen it lately, but there's been so much going around, I haven't really been looking for it. I hadn't even really looked at it when it was around, though it seemed interesting. Unfortunately we all have limited time for this, considering we all have careers to pursue, families to take care of, social obligations, etc.

I do love coming home from a hard day in the "outside world" and plunging back in HP, in book or dvd form. And I'm way past (do I dare say it?) 50!!!

Conclusion: No, definitely, nobody's too old for Harry Potter. Somebody set the limit at Nicholas Flamel's age (600+) Looks OK to me.

Old September 18th, 2007, 3:57 am
Second Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

I think anyone who thinks someone is too old to read the HP books are Muggles and have either forgotten or never knew about the magic of the imagination. Look at all the "old" people who went to see Star Wars and grew up on Star Trek.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak