Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 15th, 2007, 2:01 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Well I have to say that I am part of the "older" crowd that has or is reading the Potter series. I have a few close friends who have read the series and always extolled the virtues of the books.

While I have seen all the movies up to this point and have them in my collection, I did not get into the books until recently which is rather odd as I am a voracious reader! I enjoy the escape the stories afford the reader. After dealing with all that comes along with an "adult" life, it is refreshing and a release to allow yourself to be absorbed into the world of Harry Potter. Nightly as I read the books I find myself wondering what is around the next corner (page).

I guess that now even I am "obsessed" with the story. It is hard to put them down for the evening and tell myself that I need to go to bed. I plan on doing a re-read once I get through DH as I am sure I've missed a few of the finer points of the ongoing plot.

Take care everyone............

Morbius

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 2:43 pm
First Year

I'm 24 and I love the books. So do many of my friends and my mother. So I'm not embarrassed about reading them.

I wouldn't call the books escapist though. I think thats a bit degrading. There is so much more to them than that. The key to well written fantasy literature, which I think HP is, is that it deals with sensitive and significant issues in a setting removed from the 'real' world, thus allowing readers to be less offended by the content. For example fantasy novels often deal very well with racism, genocide, etc. I think Jo is able to touch on serious issues in HP without getting people up in arms about them. Which makes the books so much more than escapism to me.

Old September 15th, 2007, 2:52 pm
First Year

Well, I am 15 and have never been told that I am too old to read them, as most of my friends have and some of my older relatives.
I think it depends really. No-one in my family cares if I read books from the 8-12 section because I also read loads of adult books. Anyway, the great thing of the Harry Potter books is that they seem to have no age limit. I now read them on higher levels though than I did when I was seven.

Old September 15th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley_cat View Post
Well, I am 15 and have never been told that I am too old to read them, as most of my friends have and some of my older relatives.
You definately don't need to worry about being to old and I doubt anyone will ever say it. When the books first came out you probably would nearly have been too young to read them.

Old September 15th, 2007, 3:18 pm
First Year

i don't think anyone is too old for harry potter

vintage+me= an amazing girl
Old September 15th, 2007, 3:51 pm
Fifth Year

I'm not quite 16 yet (less than a week - yay!), but even among teenagers it's seen as "un-cool" to like HP. A friend of mine claims to have "out-grown" the books, which I think is bollocks. Some people don't like them and others do. I think it's very sad for people to think that you can't enjoy "children's" books when they get older, and I think it makes people seem insecure if they have to convince themselves that they are more mature. Anyway it's their loss and HP as a series isn't exclusively for children. Only the first and maybe second book in my opinion can be dubbed "children's books". If you're older - hell, read away!

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old September 15th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Student

I just turned 17 in July about 2 days before Deathly Hallows and no one's ever told me I'm too old to read them at school or anywhere else. 3 or 4 of my friends who are my age also read the books and my mom, aunt and uncle and cousins all read the books as well. Even my Theatre Arts teacher and my English teacher both read the books and they're in their late 20's. I don't think you can ever be too old to read HP. My theatre teacher and I even discussed what we thought of book 7 after school started.

Old September 15th, 2007, 5:20 pm
Second Year

I am 55 and enjoy them immensely. You are never too old to enjoy a well written and imaginative story.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goats of Aberforth
Old September 15th, 2007, 5:23 pm
Defender of Dogs

There's no such thing as too old for Harry. I disagree very strongly with the New York Times' desicion to make a children's bestseller list. it's so ridiculous when more than half the fans here are adults that they're still considered "children's books.

Old September 15th, 2007, 5:37 pm
First Year

Heck no I'm not too old for Harry Potter. I started reading the series when I was 10 years old (I'm 15 now). I've read each book numerous times and I'll probably still be re-reading this epic series when I'm 50.

Old September 15th, 2007, 5:50 pm
First Year

I'm 23 and have been constantly asked, "Don't you think you're too old to be reading Harry Potter?". Which is a stupid question anyway because if I did think I was too old for them, I wouldn't have read them.
Of course not everyone is going to like the books, but I don't see why some people have to be rude about the fact a lot of people do like the books. It's not harming anyone and it's brought a lot of people together for chat and fun like on this site.
Besides, why shouldn't older people like some children's things? Heck, if I fancy going outside and playing hop-scotch by myself, who am I hurting?
I'd prefer to enjoy life as much as I can rather than simply sticking to doing what's currently cool.

Old September 15th, 2007, 5:58 pm
Fourth Year

I have been told that I am too old. I'm currently 26 and I started reading the series shortly before OOTP was released but I don't care. I enjoy the series.

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old September 15th, 2007, 7:24 pm
Ultimate Dog Lover

OOTP/The Lost Prophecy
"... Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young...and I seem to have forgotten lately..."

I read Harry Potter to remember what is was like to be young and not make the foolish mistakes of the old. Magic can be rekindled in an old heart and remind us what it took to bring us to this spot. Should more old men and women remember and rekindle, what better place might this world be?

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old September 15th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Sixth Year

Too old for Harry Potter?

I guess I must too old for Alice in Wonderland...a book that get a re-read every year because it was the first book I fell in love with at a young age.

But I think it's naive to believe that an older reader isn't going to experience the story differently due to their longer life and more varied life experience.

Old September 15th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Fourth Year

Any book, if it is written well, intelligently and as masterfully as Jo has written hers, has no age limit. There are "Children's" books my sister and I have read that are aimed at children we really like, because of the reasons stated above.

People tend to think that since HP is in the Children's section of the library/bookstore that it is specifically meant for children and is only on a child's mentality.

The Harry Potter books to me are very complex things; they are written so that a child can read and understand them (although if I had children younger than 11-12 I wouldn't let them read the last three just yet...might be too intense...) But so that adults and also appreciate the complexity and the deep emotions and realism throughout the books. I know it sounds silly to say that Harry Potter has "realism"; but besides the fantasy aspects the Characters interactions and emotions and conflicts are extremely true to life.

So to sum up: No, nobody is too old for Harry Potter. And those who say so either hasn't read them, or can't appreciate a good book for what it is.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old September 15th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Seventh Year

I know for a fact that pretty much everyone in my year in school read DH over the summer, so I'd have to say no.

Old September 15th, 2007, 9:46 pm
MODLY CREW

I don't question my addiction to HP.

Old September 15th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Unspeakable

I started reading HP when I was 11 and I decided then I'd finish the series no matter how old I was when it ended. Of course, back then I thought 20 was "old."

No, I've never been told I was too old. Crazy yes, old no.

All of the people I've met who think Harry Potter is just for kids have never read the books.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; September 15th, 2007 at 10:00 pm.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:00 pm
Defender of Dogs

My 70 year-old Grandpa loves Harry Potter. i think that sums it up, no questions asked. If you're under seventy, you can love Harry Potter. If you're over seventy you can STILL like Harry. yay!

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Ultimate Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
My 70 year-old Grandpa loves Harry Potter. i think that sums it up, no questions asked. If you're under seventy, you can love Harry Potter. If you're over seventy you can STILL like Harry. yay!
Hear! Hear! For your Grandpa!!

There was another poster elsewhere on the forum that spoke of her 90 year old grandmother who also reads Harry Potter, and thought Dumbledore was "hot"!

I just love that.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak