Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 15th, 2007, 1:44 am
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxman View Post
I'm 23 and don't really discuss harry potter to anyone unless I know they are a fellow fan. Most people where I'm from would call you names for reading the books.
Yes. I'm 20 now. Most of my family members and friends don't read HP and worse, they always tend to misjudge it. But how can you know what it's like when you never read a chapter? That's prejudice.

"Albus Severus...you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:47 am
First Year

I started reading the books in college, and got completely hooked. The only people who give me that look that says "I can't believe you like Harry Potter" are people who haven't read them. I've personally never met anyone who has read the books and not liked them. I know a lot of people my age (24) who love them, and I don't really think of them as childrens' books, not since the 4th or 5th one. There's a lot of mature subject matter and ideas found in the books, and I don't mean that in a risque' sort of way, just that there are things adults can gleam from the books that children can't comprehend yet.

And why shouldn't adults love Harry Potter? It's (unfortunately) rare that a book series comes along that has an amazingly-detailed plot spanning 7 books, interesting characters, an original world, and great story-telling.

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?
Only innocent lives, Peter."
~Sirius Black
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:52 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Heck no... I started to read it when I was in my teens and I just got done reading the last one in my 20's... to me age is nothing more than a state of mind .

I love to read books that are escapism... it helps to fuel my own imagination .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:55 am
Third Year

Harry Potter has no age limit, even though plenty of people think so. Unfortunately, in the US, it has been labeled as a 'children's book'. But it by no means is limitted to children.
I mean, look at the books in the UK...they come out with two editions of it: the 'childrens' edition and the 'adult' edition (which is the same exact book, just with a different cover to make it look more adult-like). Several countries do this, so that alone shows that it isn't just a kids reading it.

I'm 21 and I love Harry Potter and am not ashamed of it.
My mom reads it, my 28-year old cousin reads it, plenty of my mom's co-workers read it, my 30-something year old aunt reads it...
In fact, last year at my school, there was a Harry Potter night where they played movies 1-4. And I'm in college! So, HP is fairly popular on college campuses...

The way I see it, HP go labeled as a children's book because when it first came out, it was a book about an 11 year-old kid. The recommended reading age was 9-12. Well, those 9-12 year olds who started reading HP when it first came out are 19-22 year olds now. So it cannot hardly be considered as only a kid's book anymore. So those people who claim we're too old clearly have never read the books before and just do not know what they're missing.

Old September 15th, 2007, 2:28 am
Third Year

The day I grow too old for Harry Potter is the day Elvis Presley goes public to announce that he didn't die, he jus' went home...

Old September 15th, 2007, 2:40 am
First Year

I'm 28 (or will be in 2 weeks) and I just finished reading the entire series over again, and had planned on reading GoF again. I also have the first three PC games, which I've been playing quite a bit lately. My Dad (who will be 63 in October) is reading OotP, and my sister who is 11 years older than me also plays my PC games, so I don't think anyone is too old to read/watch/play Harry Potter.

Old September 15th, 2007, 3:27 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyWheezes View Post
Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !
I'm....er....older.... than you are, and have read all the books several times (I also read books 1-6 just before book 7 came out, so that I'd remember more details! Most of my friends wouldn't understand that, to be sure).

I don't think there's any age limit to HP, the story has universal archetypal themes. If memory serves, I believe that JKR didn't write it as a children's book, it was the publisher who suggested Book 1 be marketed as a children's book.

I'll always be grateful to my nephew (he's 16 now), who was so enthusiastic in telling me about the series when I bought GoF for him -- I hadn't read any HP books at that point. I wanted to be able to discuss it with him, so I started reading....and was immediately pulled in by the characters, story, incredible detail, creativity, wit and cleverness --- a remarkable series, a genius storyteller in JKR.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 15th, 2007, 3:58 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

Ohh...for the record, my hubby is an even bigger HP fan than I am. He had to get his own copy of all 7 books and insisted on buying the CD sets so he can listen on his way to work in the car---he's 52

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old September 15th, 2007, 4:08 am
Third Year

I'll be damned before I am told I am too old for all this fun.

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.
Old September 15th, 2007, 4:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyWheezes View Post
Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !
I totally agree, HP has no age limit. Actually, I think one can be too young for the latter HP books - they are dark and have reality hit the heroes hard (death of loved ones, betrayals, etc.) - but you're never too old. I actually think 16 is borderline for some of the stuff in HP, but I guess it is an age when it's good to learn about the dark side of life and people.

A good friend of mine wrote a magazine article titled "Thoughts of a middle-aged HP fan" (his editor wanted him to title it "Confessions of a middle-aged HP fan" but he refused, saying it was not a disease or anything to be ashamed of, thank you very much) that is very amusing and makes some very valid points on the universality of the HP world.

My husband (whom I got hooked) and I are well past forty, and we still read HP avidly. So go on, enjoy, never mind what your friends say. There IS a life outside of HP, we all live it. Why not take a break and immerse yourself in a world of fantasy?

Sorry if these thoughts have been expressed before. As usual I only read the first couple of posts before responding.

Old September 15th, 2007, 4:44 am
First Year

I am only 16, but both my parents, and my english tacher enjoy HP and i quite frequently get into conversations about it with them. Before the seventh book came out we'd discuss who we thought was gonna die and general plot points. I don't htink you can ever be too old for Harry Potter becasue there are people of all different ages in the Harry Potter books. I mean look at Nicholas Flamel, he was 665. So i think the age that one should be deemed too old for Harry Potter should be set at 665.

I LOVE Tom Felton, Oliver and James Phelps, and Rupert Grint

Ghost are transperant?
Old September 15th, 2007, 4:45 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
If memory serves, I believe that JKR didn't write it as a children's book, it was the publisher who suggested Book 1 be marketed as a children's book.
I hadn't known that, that Jo didn't write it as "kiddie lit" books. I did find the series, especially from GoF on, not at all for younger children (though they do seem to enjoy it). And it was a friend past 60 who put me up to reading them, not the one I mention above, someone else. Up to then, I had dismissed HP as children's books and didn't bother. I didn't know what I was missing!

What irks me is that newspapers like the NY Times still won't put those books on the mainstream best-seller list, though they did review it. Not on the best-seller list when it outsold anything in sight and broke all the all-time records!

Old September 15th, 2007, 4:46 am
First Year

Also, what many people don't realize is that if someone started reading the books the year the first one came out, then they would be a decade older now. I mean i have spent over half my life reading Harry Potter.

I LOVE Tom Felton, Oliver and James Phelps, and Rupert Grint

Ghost are transperant?
Old September 15th, 2007, 4:49 am
Second Year

im 23 and thankfully no one has told me yet that im too old for HP books (mostly because most of my friends are so into HP books too)...

but hey, i think no one is too old for those chaps who appreciates a well written book right?!

are proud to present
The Marauders Map

The Prisoner and The Professor, A Partnership Cut Short, Auburn Pride and a Chaser's PersuationJust Friends-J/L 6th year, A History of Magic
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders
Old September 15th, 2007, 5:39 am
Lycanthrope

I started reading them when I was young and DH came out when I was in law school...so I didn't expect many of my friends there to be into it. Imagine my surprise when I went to the midnight booksale and met up with three of my law school buddies there. We were all laughing because we had all been thinking the same thing, that no one in our law program would be reading them. But that only lasted about three minutes. We spent the rest of the time (about an hour and a half) discussing the series - it got pretty interesting when we started accusing and defending the characters actions with legal theories, lol.

They had all read from a young age too - I mean how can you stop reading in the middle of a series? I love fantasy/magical fiction though, I doubt I'll ever stop reading it as long as I live - especially any with werewolf/wolf lore in it.

Old September 15th, 2007, 8:04 am
Third Year

Like others have said, I don't think anyone is to old for Hp! Although you can be to young to read the last few books.

When I was linig up for book 7 I thought I'd be about the only person over about the age 15 (I'm 20) but infact the majority of the crowd were older. Yesterday I saw a guy in who must have been in his 30's or 40's reading OOTP. He must have been enjoying because he didn't want to put it down to even open the door. I read somewhere about the time DH came out that they think a huge reason why the books have remained so popular is because of the older fans.

We create positive lives.
So if there's somethin' that you want,
You know you gotta get it.
Don't ever forget it, Cos someday you will regret it.
Old September 15th, 2007, 9:32 am
First Year

No one is too old for HP. And sometimes, I just don't care if people tell me I've been too addicted to it.

Old September 15th, 2007, 10:11 am
Sixth Year

I've sometimes been asked: Do you really like Harry Potter? It's a children's book! My answer is always the same: And? What's the matter? It's funny, I like it and it helps me with my English. Actually, people get usually more shocked about my reading it English (I'm not English-Speaker) than about my reading it at all. And there are more adult fans than you'd believe. Just yesterday, I saw a boy at college with the Deathly HAllows just before we got in for an exam.

Anyway, you read what you like and because you like it. If the rest of people don't like... Well, the worst for them. Personally, since I'm an adult, I've never let others to tell me what I can or can't read.

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I've sometimes been asked: Do you really like Harry Potter? It's a children's book! My answer is always the same: And? What's the matter? It's funny, I like it and it helps me with my English. Actually, people get usually more shocked about my reading it English (I'm not English-Speaker) than about my reading it at all. And there are more adult fans than you'd believe. Just yesterday, I saw a boy at college with the Deathly HAllows just before we got in for an exam.

Anyway, you read what you like and because you like it. If the rest of people don't like... Well, the worst for them. Personally, since I'm an adult, I've never let others to tell me what I can or can't read.
Hi! I'm not an English-speaker either. I read the first 4 books in my native language when I was 14. And this year I read the later 3 ones in English version. Although I was still having some ?? occasionally but overall, I enjoyed it very much. I frequently recommend the original English version to my friends. The series is one of the few things in the world that help you improve your language while letting you have great fun at the meantime.

"Albus Severus...you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:19 pm
Second Year

As an adult reader of Harry Potter, when I want to talk about the story I do this with my friends who are also reader of the books.

We don't feel that they are only childrens' books or that we are too old for them. Especially as the series progress, they are aimed at an older audience.

Maybe because I am a teacher, half the people I work with are adult readers of the series. And of course I also know plenty of child readers!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak