Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old July 9th, 2009, 5:53 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I did see After the Catch, which was great. Tearing up over Edgar proposing to his wife again. Tux, red rose, ring.
I know! That was SO cute! I love Edgar. I also loved seeing the bit where Andy skydived.

Man, Sig was so grouchy again on this episode. Maybe not quite as bad as when he tried to quit smoking, but it was still pretty funny. He is such a hardnose. I wondered what he thought when his wife said that she wears the pants. And on After the Catch I also thought it was an interesting idea that Phil and Sig had about trading Jakes. I think that would do both Jakes a world of good. Jake Harris is way too smug. He's a hard worker, but he thinks he can give his dad and brother all kinds of grief and get away with it, like he thinks it's funny. I'd love to see him work for Sig. And the other Jake has been giving way too much attitude to Edgar this season. It would probably be good for him to work on a new boat, as well.

Man, Phil was irate about the way Keith set his pots. "I'd rather slit my wrists than be friends with him again." But they seemed okay with each other on After the Catch.

Close calls--It was seriously scary when Keith's greenhorn almost got washed off the boat. That was a HUGE wave! It swept him off his feet and he was pinned under the pot launcher. But later said he could have been washed out of the "drain" where they toss back the non-keepers. Another scary moment on the Cornelia Marie--Freddie almost lost his hand or his life! That rope got caught around his hand and he was hanging halfway over the side! Then he totally blew it off like it was nothing.

The preview for next week looks sad! It looks like something bad happened to NorthwesternJake's family back home. I saw Nick shed a tear when Jake called his mom to say that they were going to get him back home as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2009, 4:13 am
Registered Animagus

Whew, just finished watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I know! That was SO cute! I love Edgar. I also loved seeing the bit where Andy skydived.
Yeah, big, tough Norwegian fisherman gets all sappy over his wife. I loved it.

Andy skydiving was definitely cool. I wish you had seen the episode where he was training the horses.

Quote:
Man, Sig was so grouchy again on this episode. Maybe not quite as bad as when he tried to quit smoking, but it was still pretty funny. He is such a hardnose. I wondered what he thought when his wife said that she wears the pants.
Typical Sig. He doesn't care how tired they are, and then he's the one that usually ends up pooping out. I'll bet his wife does wear the pants. He's gone so much, she has to be the Mom and Dad.

Quote:
And on After the Catch I also thought it was an interesting idea that Phil and Sig had about trading Jakes. I think that would do both Jakes a world of good. Jake Harris is way too smug. He's a hard worker, but he thinks he can give his dad and brother all kinds of grief and get away with it, like he thinks it's funny. I'd love to see him work for Sig. And the other Jake has been giving way too much attitude to Edgar this season. It would probably be good for him to work on a new boat, as well.
I thought it was a good idea, too. If Jake and Josh don't kill each other, Phil will kill both of them.

Quote:
Man, Phil was irate about the way Keith set his pots. "I'd rather slit my wrists than be friends with him again." But they seemed okay with each other on After the Catch.
Since Keith is such a jerk, I'm sure the whole thing was his fault.

Quote:
Close calls--It was seriously scary when Keith's greenhorn almost got washed off the boat. That was a HUGE wave! It swept him off his feet and he was pinned under the pot launcher. But later said he could have been washed out of the "drain" where they toss back the non-keepers. Another scary moment on the Cornelia Marie--Freddie almost lost his hand or his life! That rope got caught around his hand and he was hanging halfway over the side! Then he totally blew it off like it was nothing.
I couldn't believe that wave. It was definitely lucky no one got swept overboard. I thought for sure they were going to lose someone, but I think if that happened, they wouldn't show the film like that. The Wizard seems to be suffering from wave-jinx.

Quote:
The preview for next week looks sad! It looks like something bad happened to NorthwesternJake's family back home. I saw Nick shed a tear when Jake called his mom to say that they were going to get him back home as soon as possible.
I wasn't sure about that. I thought maybe he was hurt pretty bad and they were trying to get him back home. But I think you're right. Something happened to his family.

Looks like a good one coming up next week, too.

I was flipping through the channels and caught Sig and Edgar in the Cash Cab. They won $3,700 for Seattle Children's Hospital. Norman was sitting way in the back seat being very quiet. He looks just like Edgar.

Old July 10th, 2009, 6:11 am

Quote:
I wish you had seen the episode where he was training the horses.
Me too! I would have liked to see that. But Andy was on The Tonight Show last night. It was kinda weird seeing him completely away from the world of crabbing, sitting on a couch talking to Conan.
Quote:
Since Keith is such a jerk, I'm sure the whole thing was his fault
You're probably right, there.
Quote:
I wasn't sure about that. I thought maybe he was hurt pretty bad and they were trying to get him back home. But I think you're right. Something happened to his family.
Yeah, the comment that Edgar made about getting phone calls from home made me think something bad happened to someone back home. Edgar said something like getting a phone call from home when you're out in the Bering Sea is never a good thing.
Quote:
I was flipping through the channels and caught Sig and Edgar in the Cash Cab. They won $3,700 for Seattle Children's Hospital. Norman was sitting way in the back seat being very quiet. He looks just like Edgar.
I saw part of that episode, too. The Hillstrands and Josh Harris were on the first part of that show and ended up winning a nice amount for their charity (although not at much as the Hansens).

Norman never says anything! It is very rare to even see him on the show, and even more rare to hear him speak. But he did say that Sig would never make it when Sig was trying to quit smoking. I think Edgar looks kinda like a cross between Norman and Sig. Egdar has similar features to Norman, but a thinner face like Sig.

Old July 10th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Me too! I would have liked to see that. But Andy was on The Tonight Show last night. It was kinda weird seeing him completely away from the world of crabbing, sitting on a couch talking to Conan.
Jonathan wasn't there? It's like those two are joined at the hip. I'm sorry I missed it.

Quote:
Norman never says anything! It is very rare to even see him on the show, and even more rare to hear him speak. But he did say that Sig would never make it when Sig was trying to quit smoking. I think Edgar looks kinda like a cross between Norman and Sig. Egdar has similar features to Norman, but a thinner face like Sig.
I still can't believe that Sig couldn't quit for more than 3-1/2 hours. He would have done better without the patch.

I have to say Phil's crab farts trump Keith's walrus pod any day.

Old July 11th, 2009, 5:27 am

Quote:
I have to say Phil's crab farts trump Keith's walrus pod any day
Yes, the crab fart theory at least seems to be based on something other than dumb blind luck.

I saw a commercial today for the next episode. It said that NorthwesternJake did have a death in his family. And Sig said something like, "We're all the way out here in the Bering Sea. No other boats around. He needs to be with his family!" He had tears in his eyes and looked really upset that they couldn't get Jake back faster (since it takes days to get to port). But you know how Sig just acts angry when he is upset, either that or just says he has nothing to say about the matter.

Old July 11th, 2009, 2:30 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I saw a commercial today for the next episode. It said that NorthwesternJake did have a death in his family. And Sig said something like, "We're all the way out here in the Bering Sea. No other boats around. He needs to be with his family!" He had tears in his eyes and looked really upset that they couldn't get Jake back faster (since it takes days to get to port). But you know how Sig just acts angry when he is upset, either that or just says he has nothing to say about the matter.
Sig has no trouble blowing up at the crew, but when it comes to real emotion, he just pushes it down inside.

I'm going to have my Kleenex handy next week.

Old July 12th, 2009, 5:18 am

Quote:
Sig has no trouble blowing up at the crew, but when it comes to real emotion, he just pushes it down inside.
Exactly! He has a heart but refuses to show it.

Quote:
I'm going to have my Kleenex handy next week.
Me too!

Old July 15th, 2009, 7:23 am

It was Jake's sister! Poor kid. The crew was so supportive. Even Sig showed a heart. I was amazed when he spoke to Jake all fatherly about how it is going to hurt and about how much it hurt when his own dad died and still does. Of course Sig's next advice was keep it together--be a tough guy. But still. That was a huge gesture for Sig. And I didn't realize that Jake and Nick were so close. Imagine being Nick and having to break that news.

After that, I almost don't even remember the rest of the episode. A few things stood out, though. Jake in the skiff, just adrift there. It almost looked like that other boat wasn't gonna pick him up! And did you hear what he said about that on After the Catch? Only the captain knew why he was really there; the crew just thought he was a loser who was quitting during the season, and they were taunting him for it. Why didn't he just tell them the truth?

Jake Harris is a huuuuge jerk! "That's not a full-share breakfast you're cooking." I can't believe the trash he talks! He's always running his mouth and taking things out on his brother. What is his problem? I just don't get why he is so angry that Josh gets a full share now.

I thought Keith was going to lose it for a minute when his greenhorn came in and told him he would be leaving the boat on the next trip because his brother was going to Iraq. Of course, that would be a completely understandable thing to do, but something in the way he said that just did not ring true to me at all. It felt like an excuse you make up because you're afraid to say you just don't want to do something. He may have been telling the truth, but it just didn't feel like that to me.

Old July 15th, 2009, 3:14 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
It was Jake's sister! Poor kid. The crew was so supportive. Even Sig showed a heart. I was amazed when he spoke to Jake all fatherly about how it is going to hurt and about how much it hurt when his own dad died and still does. Of course Sig's next advice was keep it together--be a tough guy. But still. That was a huge gesture for Sig. And I didn't realize that Jake and Nick were so close. Imagine being Nick and having to break that news.
That was a really tough thing to watch, let alone go through. I think Jake held up really well considering he and his sister were so close. I loved what he said to his Mom about her being so beautiful now and nobody ever making fun of her again. He must be a real comfort to his family.

Quote:
After that, I almost don't even remember the rest of the episode. A few things stood out, though. Jake in the skiff, just adrift there. It almost looked like that other boat wasn't gonna pick him up! And did you hear what he said about that on After the Catch? Only the captain knew why he was really there; the crew just thought he was a loser who was quitting during the season, and they were taunting him for it. Why didn't he just tell them the truth?
It scared me when they set him adrift in the skiff with no motor. Oars, maybe? He said in After the Catch that Edgar's way of saying he loved him was to shout, "Hope somebody picks you up." I agree, the captain should have told the crew. I'm sure Jake just didn't want to talk about it.

Quote:
Jake Harris is a huuuuge jerk! "That's not a full-share breakfast you're cooking." I can't believe the trash he talks! He's always running his mouth and taking things out on his brother. What is his problem? I just don't get why he is so angry that Josh gets a full share now.
Yeah, c'mon. A full share breakfast? The kid has no class at all. Jake's probably going to end up with the boat anyway, because Josh was saying he wants to settle down and have a family at some point. He doesn't want to be stuck on a boat most of the year. Although I wouldn't put it past Phil to turn the boat over to someone else if Jake doesn't straighten out.

On the other hand, Phil said later when they were talking about Mike, that a lot of them quit when they get married, but then they have to come back. I was really surprised when Scott Hillstrand came back, but I guess crabbing gets in your blood, not to mention the money.

Quote:
I thought Keith was going to lose it for a minute when his greenhorn came in and told him he would be leaving the boat on the next trip because his brother was going to Iraq. Of course, that would be a completely understandable thing to do, but something in the way he said that just did not ring true to me at all. It felt like an excuse you make up because you're afraid to say you just don't want to do something. He may have been telling the truth, but it just didn't feel like that to me.
I agree. That kid doesn't belong on a crab boat. Keith seems to have a hard time with his greenhorns, doesn't he.

I missed the last half of After the Catch. Really tired last night, so I went to bed early.

I'm off to see HBP in about 45 minutes.

Old July 15th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Yeah, c'mon. A full share breakfast? The kid has no class at all. Jake's probably going to end up with the boat anyway, because Josh was saying he wants to settle down and have a family at some point. He doesn't want to be stuck on a boat most of the year. Although I wouldn't put it past Phil to turn the boat over to someone else if Jake doesn't straighten out.
I'd really like to see Jake go work for Sig and get taken down a peg or two. I think it's unfortunate that Josh is not interested in being a career fisherman because I think he'd make a good captain. He is level-headed and really cares about the guys on the boat--he would take it seriously unlike Jake who would lord it over Josh.
Quote:
On the other hand, Phil said later when they were talking about Mike, that a lot of them quit when they get married, but then they have to come back. I was really surprised when Scott Hillstrand came back, but I guess crabbing gets in your blood, not to mention the money.
Yeah, I'm sure it's pretty difficult for them to find any other job where you can make that kind of money. But it would be really hard to be married to a crabber and have him gone half the year. Especially with kids.
Quote:
I'm off to see HBP in about 45 minutes
Congrats! I won't get to see it til next week.

Old July 16th, 2009, 2:36 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I'd really like to see Jake go work for Sig and get taken down a peg or two. I think it's unfortunate that Josh is not interested in being a career fisherman because I think he'd make a good captain. He is level-headed and really cares about the guys on the boat--he would take it seriously unlike Jake who would lord it over Josh.
I saw a guy in WalMart today that looked a lot like Josh. I thought of you.

Quote:
Congrats! I won't get to see it til next week.
You'll love it. The best movie yet. They really caught the essence of the book. Gambon finally got Dumbledore right.

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Quote:
I saw a guy in WalMart today that looked a lot like Josh. I thought of you.
Me and my crazy Josh crush.

Quote:
Gambon finally got Dumbledore right.
That's great news! That's the one thing I was apprehensive about. Great to hear he doesn't ruin it!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 3:22 am
Registered Animagus

Kinda knew Russell would be leaving the Time Bandit. I'm glad they kept Mike. I'm really glad Keith took Russell on board.

Can't believe that Josh Greenhorn had the nerve to ask Keith if he could come back for King Crab season. What an idiot.

Was Edgar throwing firecrackers at the crew? That was so funny. I love the flaming hook at the end of opie season, but isn't Edgar the one that usually throws that last hook?

Didn't see much of the Cornelia Marie.

My daughter called in the last 15 minutes of the show, so I really missed the end. It looked liked Keith was pushing the limits again; playing chicken with that storm. Was the Wizard the boat that was in trouble?

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:04 pm
Second Year

I watch it sometimes. My dad records it on DVR, so if he happens to have it on when I'm around, I'll usually watch it. I think it's amazing what those guys do, and I can never see myself getting on a boat like that and endure all the terrible weather that they sometimes do and fish like that.

I certainly give them A LOT of credit.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:38 am

Quote:
Kinda knew Russell would be leaving the Time Bandit. I'm glad they kept Mike. I'm really glad Keith took Russell on board.
Yeah, Jonathan made it pretty clear last week that Russel wouldn't be staying on for king crab. Keith seemed really glad to get him, though, and I can't blame him after the horrible string of greenhorns he's endured over the past two seasons. Remember Moi?

Quote:
Was Edgar throwing firecrackers at the crew? That was so funny. I love the flaming hook at the end of opie season, but isn't Edgar the one that usually throws that last hook?
I love Edgar. Yeah, he usually throws the flaming hook, but I think I have seen Matt do it before. Maybe they're branching out with the hook like they have been with the herring head--only Edgar used to do that when the show first aired.
Quote:
Didn't see much of the Cornelia Marie.
I know! I missed Josh . . .
Quote:
Was the Wizard the boat that was in trouble?
You really couldn't tell which boat was in trouble. It looked like our captains were just listening to all the distress calls, though. I don't think any of our boats are in trouble. But it did give the hint that perhaps a Coast Guard helicopter gets in trouble trying to rescue someone in those winds.

Can't believe next week is the last episode of the season! This show is so addicting! What will I do until next year?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 9:25 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Can't believe next week is the last episode of the season! This show is so addicting! What will I do until next year?
JUst watch the reruns or try watching Dirty Jobs/Survivor/Amazing Race etc..

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:45 pm. Reason: I goofed
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
JUst watch the reruns
I do. Obsessively! But they don't show them much when the regular season isn't airing.

Quote:
Dirty Jobs
That show makes me gag sometimes . . .
Quote:
Greatest Race
What is this show? Is it like The Amazing Race? If so, that show raises my blood pressure because I get so nervous about them making their flights, etc. Just exactly how I feel when I travel myself.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:44 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26
Greatest Race

What is this show? Is it like The Amazing Race? If so, that show raises my blood pressure because I get so nervous about them making their flights, etc. Just exactly how I feel when I travel myself.
Oops my bad I got the name wrong it is the Amazing race . I'll go change my post and correct it.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Yeah, Jonathan made it pretty clear last week that Russel wouldn't be staying on for king crab. Keith seemed really glad to get him, though, and I can't blame him after the horrible string of greenhorns he's endured over the past two seasons. Remember Moi?
How could I forget Moi? What a whiner. I'm glad Keith has someone he can count on (since he doesn't have a sauna ). I wonder how long it will take him to start yelling at Russel?

Quote:
You really couldn't tell which boat was in trouble. It looked like our captains were just listening to all the distress calls, though. I don't think any of our boats are in trouble. But it did give the hint that perhaps a Coast Guard helicopter gets in trouble trying to rescue someone in those winds.
I don't remember seeing Keith listening to the distress calls, and he was taking chances again. If anything happened to one of our boats, I don't think they'd show it. Maybe announce it and do a tribute.

Quote:
No, say it isn't so.

Okay, Project Runway coming up, DWTS, and another season of SYTYCD. That'll keep me going. What I haven't seen in a while is Meerkat Manor. I miss that one, too.

Old July 24th, 2009, 4:18 am

Quote:
I don't remember seeing Keith listening to the distress calls, and he was taking chances again. If anything happened to one of our boats, I don't think they'd show it. Maybe announce it and do a tribute.
The boat they showed in distress looked tiny. I thought perhaps it was the Lisa Marie that was part of the show during king crab season; it was definitely not the Wizard. Plus, don't forget that we've seen tons of episodes of After the Catch, which were filmed after the season was completely over, and everyone was fine. So even if there is a problem on one of our boats, the boat and people come out of it fine. But I don't think there is.
Quote:
Project Runway coming up
I look forward to this one. Airs in August, I believe.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television