Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

How I met your mother

Old April 11th, 2011, 5:26 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Is that really good news though? It may come a time when viewers will just stop being interested in who the mother is if it's too drawn out.
The mother is a MacGuffin; who she is (even if she is never introduced) is irrelevant.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:35 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
The mother is a MacGuffin; who she is (even if she is never introduced) is irrelevant.
It's not, in my view. I lost interest two seasons ago because they couldn't keep up the suspense. I never really cared about Ted but I was interested in character growth. Only things aren't going anywhere for all the characters. When Barney and Robin broke up, Barney pretty much regressed and became a parody of himself and Ted, well, the only interesting thing about him was his ambition to find The One. And without the suspense it's just meh.

Old April 11th, 2011, 1:38 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

I was never a regular watcher but the whole premise struck me as like who killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks. While the investigation of the murder was the ostensible plot of the series it was just a device, likewise the identity of the mother is a way into the lives of the characters and the stories of their relationships with each other.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 12th, 2011, 1:45 am
Second Year

I love the F.R.I.E.N.D.S.-esque version of Central Perk at the bar. It reminds me a lot of my friends and I grabbing a beer and watching the baseball games after work.

Also the fact that jokes from seasons before come back when least expected.

And the "major hottie" etc. jokes!

Old April 14th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Knower of things

I am coming around more and more to Robin and Barney being back together sooner rather than later. I was very "meh" about it for awhile but I think it's going to happen. While I still enjoy the show greatly when I start pulling it apart, it doesn't really stand up. Ted is getting really irritating, as are Lily and Marshal. Robin is a character I never liked and Barney is getting a bit flat, although I did enjoy the episode where he met his father.

Old April 16th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I did enjoy the episode where he met his father.
I agree, this episode really saved it for me. I thought it was sweet, and kind of a throw back to after school specials. I hope it picks up soon. Perhaps a rekindling of Robin/Barney's relationship is just the ticket!

Old May 4th, 2011, 4:44 am
First Year

Honestly, I think the show keeps better. Actually in the last few episodes, I've been a bit bored, but this season has been one of my favorites as a whole. I did really like the episode where Barney met his dad. At the end when he gave Ted the Basketball hoop, I thought that was so sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
It's not, in my view. I lost interest two seasons ago because they couldn't keep up the suspense. I never really cared about Ted but I was interested in character growth. Only things aren't going anywhere for all the characters. When Barney and Robin broke up, Barney pretty much regressed and became a parody of himself and Ted, well, the only interesting thing about him was his ambition to find The One. And without the suspense it's just meh.
I disagree, I think they've been able to keep the suspense up rather well. You say you haven't watched in two seasons, but they've done a bit of jumping through time (which according to the producers they are going to continue to do that) to the exact moment when Ted meets her and that's really helped build the suspense back up, I think.

Overall, I think the show is hilarious regardless of how they keep dragging on to when he'll finally meet her. I don't think it's all that important at this point. I love Alyson Hannigan and Jason Segal, I think the two of them are fabulous together! Also the relationship that Robin and Barney are trying to avoid adds a little bit of bickering and tension between them which is great. I can't stand Zoey and I would really Ted to get rid of her. The episode a little while ago comparing Ted and Zoey's relationship to Lily and Marshall's was great. So was the Barney-Marshall/Lily-Robin storyline in last night's episode.

In Omnia Paratus
Old May 5th, 2011, 4:34 am
First Year

I don't know, I don't think I've laughed since Robin dated that guy that was a dog. That's the last joke I can remember.

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:39 pm
First Year

Well this season is definitely better than the previous season

Old May 28th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Third Year

I finally got around to watching the season finale! Good episode and
Spoiler: show
my prediction that it was Barney's wedding!
was proved true. Now I'm just wondering about Robin...

Hufflepuff Pride
Old May 29th, 2011, 9:12 am
Knower of things

I enjoyed the finale - I still manage to laugh quite a bit. I've come to the conclusion though my favourite character is Marshell though.

Barney's wedding - I'm still convinced it's going to be to Robin by the by.

Old May 31st, 2011, 4:50 pm
Second Year

Even after he saw Nora and started to make up with her? I'm pretty sure it's to Nora, though it wouldn't be the first time a TV show got me.

Old June 20th, 2011, 12:38 am
Third Year

Ted is hands down the WORST character, which is pretty funny considering this series is based around his journey to find his wife. Ted never grows up and I'm finding it will be less plausible later on that he flips a switch when he meets "the one."

I really only watch this show for NPH and Cobie Smulders now.

Old June 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetopadfoot View Post
Ted is hands down the WORST character, which is pretty funny considering this series is based around his journey to find his wife. Ted never grows up and I'm finding it will be less plausible later on that he flips a switch when he meets "the one."
I agree with you. He used to be better defined in the early seasons, but now I can't seem to find a character in there at all. He looks more like a cartoon.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 1:10 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetopadfoot View Post

I really only watch this show for NPH and Cobie Smulders now.
Maybe not the worst character but he's losing redeeming features very quickly. I think they're drawing the plot out a little too much, Ted needs to meet the one and let us chew on that for awhile. This disaster after disaster after disaster is getting old.

Old June 26th, 2011, 12:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Maybe not the worst character but he's losing redeeming features very quickly. I think they're drawing the plot out a little too much, Ted needs to meet the one and let us chew on that for awhile. This disaster after disaster after disaster is getting old.
Trufax. Ted was really focused and I thought committed to not rushing into another failed situation after Stella, but I didn't think this "not rushing" thing extended into randomly dating Zoey for a few months even when he knew it was a terrible idea and not at all being serious about looking for someone. Awhile ago, Ted learned you have to let things happen as opposed to trying too hard (remember the hanging chad costume episode... I think it was called "slutty pumpkin"?) but he's told his kids that after Stella was becoming the man he had to be to meet their mother and I haven't seen much character grow or maturity since. Le sad.

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:08 am
First Year

Hey guys! So I recently became a fan of this show...like last month. At first, I didn't want to watch it because I heard it talked about sex a lot, which gets kind of boring when most shows these days revolve around sex (Grey's Anatomy, Secret Life of the American Teenager, etc.) then I watched an episode and realized that most of the sex-talk came from Barney lol. Now I can't stop watching and right now I'm on Season 6 Episode 4.

So have you guys already talked about who your favorite characters are and why?

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:39 am
Second Year

How I Met Your Mother

Sorry if this show is already in this section, I did search it but nothing came up.
Anyway does anyone watch this awesome Muggle show, I reckon it's the best show muggles have ever come up with. My favorite characters are Marshall and Barney!
Specially Barney with his "Legendary quotes" his "suit up quotes" and with his "bro code"
So guys give me your opinions on the show, do you like it? hate it?

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old July 17th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Third Year

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
Sorry if this show is already in this section, I did search it but nothing came up.
Anyway does anyone watch this awesome Muggle show, I reckon it's the best show muggles have ever come up with. My favorite characters are Marshall and Barney!
Specially Barney with his "Legendary quotes" his "suit up quotes" and with his "bro code"
So guys give me your opinions on the show, do you like it? hate it?

There's already a thread on this. Here's the spot it's at. I"m sure one of the mods will close this one later.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old July 18th, 2011, 7:00 pm
First Year

I'm a big fan of HIMYM! I'm watching Season 6 and it's awesome. It's so freaking funny!
I love them all, Marshall,Lily,Robin,Barney and Ted. I secretely hope Robin and Ted will get back together because I think they're well matched but I already know it's basically impossible. What a pity!
I'm dying to know who Ted's wife is!

I've read somewhere that
Spoiler: show
he adopted his kids!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television