Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

View Poll Results: Snape's main feeling for James would be...
Loathing 25 15.53%
Contempt 16 9.94%
Envy 27 16.77%
Hatred 17 10.56%
Jealousy 59 36.65%
Regret 0 0%
You're evil for restricting the options and not even putting up my favourite. 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27th, 2008, 4:05 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
Here is the complete quote:
OotP: The lost Prophecy"Ther is a room in the Departtment of Mysteries," interupted Dumbledore, "that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible thatn death, than human intelligence, than the fforces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects ffor study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all. That power took you to save Sirius tonight. That power also saved ytou from possesion by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."

Dumbledore is spelling it out - the power that Harry has that Voldemort hasn't is love. The intense grief he felt at Sirius's death was because he loved Sirius so much and it was this grief - this love that made it unbearable for Voldemort to possess him.

Exactly! I can't remember where exactly but there was some point when Harry though" So I can love. Big Deal!"

So the way I see it Harry had no special magic powers - what set him apart was his ability to love

If we contrast this with Snape who was able to love but not as fully as Harry we see a man who loves, but in a way resents the vulnerability that comes with love. And again if we contrast Harry with Voldemort we see a man who does not want to love at all; who sees love as weak and foolish, and fails to recognise the power of love and is ignorant of how love can influence magic as it did with Lily's sacrifice and later with Hary's sacrifice.
I respect your view. Imo, many people in canon had the ability to love; but none of them could do things Harry could do with his inner "Force". For example, Ginny had the ability to love, but Voldemort was able to touch her, whereas he was not able to similarly touch Harry in that situation, nor could Quirrell touch him in PS/SS while sharing a soul with Voldemort (although Voldemort had originally touched Quirrell); nor could Voldemort remain in Harry's body in OOTP but was ejected by Harry's inner Force, which I agree could be interpreted as being based in love as it appears to be associated with one's heart (love, courage and all things good) - but, imo, it is something more than the ordinary emotion of love that many in canon had; I call it special powers, but Dumbledore called it a Force of Power. Again, I think JKR moved away from the Force chatter due to the comparisons with Star Wars. But it makes no sense, imo, for Dumbledore to speak of it the way he did in the quote you provided if it were mere ordinary love because he could have just said, it was "love" and the DOM was studying "love", but he did not - the word love is never mentioned at all.

As related to Snape, I agree he did not have the ability to love as fully as Harry -but in addition, Snape did not recognize Harry's unique gift, this extreme amount of "Force" (love) that was within him - at least not consciously, imo. This Force in Harry manifested itself before Snape's eyes, but he still saw Harry as only a mediocre wizard with no chance of beating Voldemort (based on his words in canon in HBP and DH). Imo, Snape was blind to this, not because he could not love as fully as Harry (or many other people in canon), but because he loathed Harry and refused to acknowledge that he just might be extraordinary after all in some way.

This is how I interpret Dumbledore's words and Harry's extraordinary feats as well as Snape's view of both. I respect your view, but we would likely have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; May 27th, 2008 at 6:12 am.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:23 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

But love IS a force. Anyone who sees love as just an emotion has never loved, or else given love much thought, in my opinion. We see the effects of love throughout all seven books. It definitely isn't presented as simply an emotion in the HP world. It drives people, gives people strength, motivates them, makes them endure things, provides comfort and hope, etc. Voldemort couldn't touch Harry because the act that protected him was a powerful act of love, and we all know Voldemort was allergic to that. End of off topic and sorry about it.

Old May 27th, 2008, 1:52 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
But love IS a force. Anyone who sees love as just an emotion has never loved, or else given love much thought, in my opinion. We see the effects of love throughout all seven books. It definitely isn't presented as simply an emotion in the HP world. It drives people, gives people strength, motivates them, makes them endure things, provides comfort and hope, etc. Voldemort couldn't touch Harry because the act that protected him was a powerful act of love, and we all know Voldemort was allergic to that. End of off topic and sorry about it.
Exactly! Thanks Yoanna!

ETA: This is confirmed in HBP:
HBP: HorcruxesIt will take uncommon skill and power to kill a wizard like Voldemort, even without his Horcruxes."
"But I haven't got uncommon skill and power," said Harry, before he could stop himself.
"Yes you have," said Dumbledore firmly. "You have a power that Voldemort has never had. You can -"
"I know!" said Harry impatiently. "I can love!" It was only with difficulty that he stopped himself adding, "Big Deal!"
So, when the prophecy says that I'll have "power the Dark Lord knows not", it just means - love?" asked Harry, feeling a little let down.
"Yes - just love," said Dumbledore.

I know this is rather off topic but I think it is an important point where Snape is concerned. Love and the power of love is the central theme of the books. Harry defeats Voldemort not because he is a more skilled wizard but because he can love - and love fully. This theme is continued in both Snape's and Dumbledore's story arcs as they both struggled to love and failed to love completely. This lead them both to regret and in Snape's case that regret was extreme - so extreme that his life did a complete U-turn in direction. Harry doesn't have regrets because he has loved fully.

So to get back to the point - I think Snape IS a very powerful wizard - I think after Dumbledore and Voldemort he is the most powerful in the series. Harry is powerful, and is exceptionally good at DADA and duelling but overall I don't think he is in the same league as Voldemort and Dumbledore or even Snape. What sets Harry apart is his purity of heart. Both Dumbledore and Snape were tempted and gave way to temptation; Harry was also tempted and at times did falter (like when he uses unforgiveables) but ultimately he stays pure and true to what is right. This is why he gives Voldemort a chance to feel remorse and forgives Snape - these things come out of Harry's ability to love.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!

Last edited by CathyWeasley; May 27th, 2008 at 2:26 pm.
Old May 27th, 2008, 2:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Voldemort couldn't touch Harry because the act that protected him was a powerful act of love, and we all know Voldemort was allergic to that. End of off topic and sorry about it.

Allergic to love? *imagines Voldie breaking out in hives on being faced with pink hearts*- no, wait, that's what actually happened, wasn't it? Minus the pink hearts bit..

Back to the topic of Snape, I agree with both Cathy and WWB- Snape didn't seem to like the idea of vulnerability, and this is clear on quite a few occasions in canon. I suppose it might have been this aversion to openness that led him to see Harry's ability to love as a weakness and nothing else (and the way I read it in DH and all the other books, he also didn't want to admit to himself that Harry had any redeeming points at all). He built up his entire life on (mostly) remaining stoic, we rarely see emotion out of him unless he's angry at someone (Harry in PoA, Dumbledore in DH flashback). I think his dying moments were probably the only time he showed the fact that he had a ofter side, really..

Old May 27th, 2008, 2:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
So to get back to the point - I think Snape IS a very powerful wizard - I think after Dumbledore and Voldemort he is the most powerful in the series.
I think that's a reasonable thing to deduce from the canon. I certainly see Snape, based on what I read of his powers, as being among the most powerful wizards we see in the canon.

Although it seems that Molly Weasley at least could give Severus a run for his money.

Quote:
Harry is powerful, and is exceptionally good at DADA and duelling but overall I don't think he is in the same league as Voldemort and Dumbledore or even Snape. What sets Harry apart is his purity of heart. Both Dumbledore and Snape were tempted and gave way to temptation; Harry was also tempted and at times did falter (like when he uses unforgiveables) but ultimately he stays pure and true to what is right. This is why he gives Voldemort a chance to feel remorse and forgives Snape - these things come out of Harry's ability to love.
One for the Harry thread, I guess, rather than here but I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I think his dying moments were probably the only time he showed the fact that he had a ofter side, really..
I agree with this as well.

Old May 27th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Although it seems that Molly Weasley at least could give Severus a run for his money.
Yes Molly is one feisty woman!
If Arthur had been killed by the snake instead of Sev I like to think that perhaps he might have gone for the older redhead. (Can you imagine the looks on Ron's face) Sorry I'm wandering off topic again!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

Old May 27th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
(Can you imagine the looks on Ron's face) Sorry I'm wandering off topic again!
Yes, but that was hilarious.

I don't think I have ever seen Molly/Sev suggested before.

Can't see it myself, but the idea makes me laff!

Old May 27th, 2008, 2:54 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
I suppose it might have been this aversion to openness that led him to see Harry's ability to love as a weakness and nothing else
I don't see where this is in the books, actually.
Snape does say that wearing one's heart on their sleeve is a sign of weakness, but I don't think that's Snape admitting that he thinks love is a weakness so much as showing it is. He obviously still loves Lily, and I don't think he really wanted to not love her. His admission to Dumbledore that he has "always" loved her did not seem to come from him grudgingly or angrily, IMO, which are the emotions Snape shows when he is experiencing a softer feeling.
On the other hand, opening up is something anyone in Snape's situation would have trouble with. He was constantly bullied as a teenager and then has to go into espionage. He can't open up, whether it's due to his spy duties or to his own personal problems.
So I think that passage had more to do with showing one's feelings, rather than experiencing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl
I have.
CURSE YOU, INTERNETS!!!!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old May 27th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I agree, but I believe the books went further than this. When Harry ejected Voldemort, it was not explained with the blood sacrifice; he was not at the Dursley's and Dumbledore told him it was because of his own love. Yet Ginny had love and she could not similarly eject Voldemort. So unless Voldemort was on allergy pills when he possessed her, , then there has to be more to it, imo. That is where Dumbledore's "Force" chatter comes in - in relation to Harry, imo. It was based in love, imo, because it emanated from the heart, but it was not simple love, imo, because Ginny had that too.

(And note Hatred, Anger and Fear are also 'Forces' that emanate from the heart - but I assume Dumbledore was referring to love as the basis of this power as it is more commiserate with Harry in the series.)

Imo, Snape didn't see either the blood sacrifice or the "Force" Dumbledore spoke of as more powerful than magic. Imo, his point of view was that Harry had to become a top-notch wizard in order to beat Voldemort. For Snape, I believe that when he found out Harry had to die, he was finally able to fully accept Dumbledore's plan as viable because it encompassed something he felt Harry was capable of (dying).

Quote:
Back to the topic of Snape, I agree with both Cathy and WWB- Snape didn't seem to like the idea of vulnerability, and this is clear on quite a few occasions in canon. I suppose it might have been this aversion to openness that led him to see Harry's ability to love as a weakness and nothing else (and the way I read it in DH and all the other books, he also didn't want to admit to himself that Harry had any redeeming points at all). He built up his entire life on (mostly) remaining stoic, we rarely see emotion out of him unless he's angry at someone (Harry in PoA, Dumbledore in DH flashback). I think his dying moments were probably the only time he showed the fact that he had a ofter side, really..
I agree with you about Snape's view of Harry, however I don't believe that Snape showed a softer side of himself at his death (he grabbed Harry by the robes and demanded he look at him, imo, in order to see Lily's eyes - imo, an analogy with ripping the picture in half at #12G - he used Harry to see Lily's eyes, separating the boy from his mother). But I do believe that he felt showing love was a weakness. I agree with Ignisia in that I don't think Snape felt his emotions for Lily (which he kept hidden) were a weakness, but rather gave him strength. Unfortunately, imo, Snape was misusing Lily in this regard because she did not pertain to him in any way, shape or form and his emotions for her were extremely self-centered in fortifying his strength and happiness. Imo, if Snape had attempted to control those emotions, had behaved in a manner that would be pleasing to Lily (an act of selflessness that would have benefitted Snape also, imo) in addition to using them to garner strength to do brave acts, then I would find his unrequited love to have merit. However, imo, Snape made a mockery of those emotions, by using them selfishly and they not only inhibited his personal progress as a human being (character, personality, behavior, attitude), imo, but served as the basis for his causing harm to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
On the other hand, opening up is something anyone in Snape's situation would have trouble with. He was constantly bullied as a teenager and then has to go into espionage. He can't open up, whether it's due to his spy duties or to his own personal problems.
So I think that passage had more to do with showing one's feelings, rather than experiencing them.
I respect your view, but I believe that in HP universe it was shown that people who were in situations even worse than Snape's could open up. We were given the example of Sirius, bullied at home, at school and later for 12 years in Azkaban through his adulthood - and he was still able to open up as an individual. Harry was also bullied as a child, at Hogwarts and was able to open up. Imo, Snape's character entailed his behaving in a bullying manner from a small child (with Petunia) throughout adulthood (at Hogwarts with his peers and later with his students/peers - then as a DE) - in addition to being on the receiving end, but only at Hogwarts. I believe that is why Snape had a difficult time opening up as I'll explain.

Snape's personality was a closed one, imo, and instead of allowing himself to get close to others through kindness, compassion, joyful behavior and understanding, Snape kept himself distant and he fostered that distance by behaving in a bullying, spiteful, vindictive, and sometimes cruel manner in order to drive people away. However, I do feel these things left Snape feeling bitter and cold inside and that might have been something he felt he deserved for having played a role in Lily's death - although imo, it is more likely that he had simply grown used to feeling that way because while he likely felt that way in his youth, he likely fully embraced these attributes as a Death Eater. Imo, Snape, Regulus, and many other Death Eaters had to pull a cold veneer over their emotions and distance themselves from them in order to behave with the negative characteristics I named against people they did not know (random Muggles and Muggleborns) and some they did know (Order members, etc.). Thus, imo, Snape's behavior was a product of his entire background, but quite heavily impacted by his time as a DE.

ETA: Another aspect of Snape's character that was affected by the above, imo, was that his behavior made him fairly anti-social overall. In POA, Snape was speaking with the Minister of Magic whose attitude was initially favorable to Snape (he'd spoken of awarding him the Order of Merlin). But Snape's manner and method were socially inappropriate and the Minister naysayed him during their conversation - later Snape lost control of his social consciouness altogether and the Minister questioned his sanity. If you contrast Snape with Lucius Malfoy here, it may clarify; Lucius ends were likely far worse than Snape's had been in POA at times when he was speaking with the Minister. And yet, Lucius managed to remain on the Minister's good side, even guide him in some decisions and garner himself authority within the Ministry. Imo, Lucius "got it" socially, whereas Snape was for the most part, clueless in this regard. So, imo, Snape's behavior was affected in an overall sense based on the factors I discussed above and extended to his approach, attitude, behavior and personality in all social situations, perhaps at times unconsciously or with the mistaken notion that he was behaving in a socially appropriate and pleasing manner.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; May 27th, 2008 at 5:13 pm.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:46 pm
First Year

I couldn't sleep last night and began to think about eyes and how much they tell us about a person. A persons' eyes are considered to be a reflection of the soul, at least in my country. The first time Harry and Snape met, they looked into each others eyes and the books end that way too. It is a very poetic actually and I find it very beautiful introduction and an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, pg. 102 BEd
His eyes were black like Hagrid's, but they had none of Hagrid's warmth. They were cold and empty and made you think of dark tunnels
Snape's eyes are like dark tunnels and I think that's how we can look at Snape's life, at least from Harry's perspective. Each book we get to know a little bit more about Snape until we get the whole truth, we see Snape and get out of the tunnels.

And I really think it is very special how Snape is the one who actually tells him how to defeat Voldemort. In CoS Snape teaches them Expelliarmus and in DH he passes his own, private memories so Harry can understand everything, see the big picture...

Oh well... I was just... wondering...

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." -Albus Dumbledore

Old May 27th, 2008, 11:10 pm
Seventh Year

Those are great observations irpa. Snape literally died at the end of a long dark tunnel- from the Willow to the Shack as well.

Old May 28th, 2008, 1:53 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpa View Post
Snape's eyes are like dark tunnels and I think that's how we can look at Snape's life, at least from Harry's perspective. Each book we get to know a little bit more about Snape until we get the whole truth, we see Snape and get out of the tunnels.
I thought his eyes were a reflection of his life, how depressing both were. I don't think Snape ever got of those tunnels. It not like his lfe got any better. To me, it got progressively worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia
I have.
CURSE YOU, INTERNETS!!!!
This is so off-topic, but if you think Molly/Snape is crazy, you got nothing on me. I've been to the deepest, darkest part of the HP fandom.

Old May 28th, 2008, 1:55 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia View Post
I thought his eyes were a reflection of his life, how depressing both were. I don't think Snape ever got of those tunnels. It not like his lfe got any better. To me, it got progressively worse.
Personally I always imagined that Snape's eyes were compared to dark tunnels just to show how cruel and coldhearted he was, but that's an interesting idea too. I would be very interested to hear what JKR intended by giving Snape those coal black tunnel-like eyes.

Old May 28th, 2008, 2:00 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

All this talk of tunnels reminds me of the phrase "light at the end of the tunnel", which makes me imagine Severus in a dark tunnel following the light he sees ahead. And that is reminiscent of how the silver doe leads Harry through the woods to his goal (the sword). In a way, Lily was like a guiding light for both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia
This is so off-topic, but if you think Molly/Snape is crazy, you got nothing on me. I've been to the deepest, darkest part of the HP fandom.
Oh, I dunno, I've seen some pretty freaky stuff. I've heard Snape/Hedwig is gaining popularity.
BTW, love your sig!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old May 28th, 2008, 3:11 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Personally I always imagined that Snape's eyes were compared to dark tunnels just to show how cruel and coldhearted he was, but that's an interesting idea too. I would be very interested to hear what JKR intended by giving Snape those coal black tunnel-like eyes.
I also think that too. His eyes represented his sad life and his personalilty. I do think there is a meaning to his eyes. JK Rowling seems uses the sigificance of eyes a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
All this talk of tunnels reminds me of the phrase "light at the end of the tunnel", which makes me imagine Severus in a dark tunnel following the light he sees ahead. And that is reminiscent of how the silver doe leads Harry through the woods to his goal (the sword). In a way, Lily was like a guiding light for both of them.
When was Lily at the end a of tunnel?

Quote:
Oh, I dunno, I've seen some pretty freaky stuff. I've heard Snape/Hedwig is gaining popularity.
BTW, love your sig!
Snape/Hedwig? That's nothing. I was there when that was created. That was an interesting discussion. Snape/Hedwig is very tongue in cheek. The really freaky stuff takes itself seriously.

Last edited by PerfectDystopia; May 28th, 2008 at 3:39 am.
Old May 28th, 2008, 4:25 am
Lycanthrope

Imo, Snape served as his own guide and in reality Lily had nothing to do with it. I believe Snape's emotions for Lily consisted of an image he created of her that suited Snape. His idea of not making her sacrifice in vain was far different from what the real Lily would agree with, imo. Imo, that is why everything Snape did, from changing sides to his efforts while serving the cause were deeply flawed.

Imo, Snape's purpose for changing sides was inappropriate, (DH-TPT) and his efforts for the cause imo, included his behaving in a negative manner to all of those that he was working with, imo, hampering the cause as much as he helped due to the consequent burden he was placing on others. In addition, he acted at times in a willful and vindictive manner which reduced the value of his participation (POA with the Minister and revealing Lupin; HBP with Harry in Flight of the Prince; OOTP washing his hands of the Occlumency lessons, etc.). Imo, the relatively few hours that Snape spent in the presence of Voldemort spying was his only unflawed effort - although, granted, we have very little canon regarding those meetings.

In these things, Snape served as his own guide in the end, imo.

Old May 28th, 2008, 9:37 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Personally I always imagined that Snape's eyes were compared to dark tunnels just to show how cruel and coldhearted he was, but that's an interesting idea too.
This always struck me as a heavy-handed, indeed cliched, literary description, if I am being perfectly honest.

Snape was a bitter man, to be sure, who could be vindictive ... but he is far less cruel and coldhearted than other characters in the canon, e.g. Bellatrix or Umbridge. Umbridge far exceeds Snape's behaviour -- we never see him physically torturing students, as Umbridge did Harry, and I don't believe he ever would have done. His bad Death Eater days were a long way behind him.

JMO.

Quote:
I would be very interested to hear what JKR intended by giving Snape those coal black tunnel-like eyes.
To throw readers off the scent.

Old May 28th, 2008, 11:34 am
Mad Hatter

I am away for a day and you all start discussing bad fanfic pairings

Alright then to catch up...

The eyes: I love the description of his eyes. Why? I think they show how desolate he was. Snape gave up his whole life because he felt he needed to give himself over to Lily and her son. He wanted to redeem himself somehow. Therefore, I think the representation of his eyes show how he has nothing left for himself. There is no hope, no returned love, no life of his own. He is an instrument of the war, nothing more and so, I feel the eyes show how empty he really is and that he is only living for one purpose, protecting Lily's son.

WWB: I do not think that Snape's purpose was inappropriate. I must disagree there. The reason behind all his actions was his love for Lily and love is the crux of the whole book. I agree that the love was imperfect and onesided but his feelings were still true and guided him to dedicate his life to the good side and the protection of Lily's son. Did he make mistakes, yes he did. Snape is far from perfect but I am sure this was hard for him... he stopped teaching Harry after he snooped and found out a very private memory. I wouldn't want to continue either. The fights with Lupin and the animosity there are carry overs from their time together at school and though it isn't perfect I can understand why he isn't fast friends with Lupin. All in all, I do not think Snape's so called flaws lessen his impact on the war or his bravery in fighting it. He puts his life on the line constantly for the cause and I don't see how some bad reactions can damage that.

Pearl_Took
: I so agree with you there. No matter how bad Snape seems, Umbridge completely takes the cake on this one. She is far worse with the students as she even goes so far as to torture them physically. Snape is definitely far from the worst we have seen.

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I always saw Snape's eyes as a reflection of the emotional place where he was. Cold, dark and alone; and I have to admit that that description of his eyes made me thing "This is a man with a history - and one day we will know that history". To me the description of his eyes was always an indication of his loneliness and the bleakness of his life - a man marking time as it were to complete his work and then depart. There seemed to be no hope in him.

Old May 28th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Zonko's Employee

Tonks, yes, absolutely. Umbridge is FAR worse!

Quote:
I always saw Snape's eyes as a reflection of the emotional place where he was. Cold, dark and alone; and I have to admit that that description of his eyes made me think "This is a man with a history - and one day we will know that history".
Exactly.

I did not interpret Snape's cold, black eyes to mean: 'Dear Readers, I'm Flagging Up A Two-Dimensional Villain.'

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References