Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Pottermore v.12

Old September 29th, 2012, 12:38 am
The Potions Master

Re: Pottermore v.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I was able to pick up the wand and move it for great lightening effects with the Forgetfulness Potion.

Did Pottermore reset all its potions? I thought I had a polyjuice part two brewing and now it is gone.
I've lost brewing potions before when they reset the dueling--which they did since last night because my list was empty tonight when I went to duel. I also lost one when they put the new chapters up.

Stinks that you lost a PPP2, though. If they are going to do that, they should just add the deleted potion to our inventory, imo.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Last edited by mirrormere; September 29th, 2012 at 12:43 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Well, I finished Polyjuice Potion. It was a bit messier at the end than I expected, but I succeeded.

I tried tipping the bottle over on its side and then had trouble picking up a fly. So finally I put the bottle to the edge of the cauldron (a no-no, I know!) and managed to tip just a single fly in. I stirred half a stir clockwise but quickly righted myself and stirred counter-clockwise, and got away with it.

The Slytherin hair and the foolish wand-waving did not cause nearly as much drama.

Anyway, I finished it. Now I can say that I have successfully brewed Polyjuice Potion.

With that accomplishment, maybe I'm ready for a copper cauldron. (I blew up my first copper cauldron early in the Beta and have been adamantly using pewter ever since).

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 29th, 2012, 4:59 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Well, I finished Polyjuice Potion. It was a bit messier at the end than I expected, but I succeeded.

I tried tipping the bottle over on its side and then had trouble picking up a fly. So finally I put the bottle to the edge of the cauldron (a no-no, I know!) and managed to tip just a single fly in. I stirred half a stir clockwise but quickly righted myself and stirred counter-clockwise, and got away with it.

The Slytherin hair and the foolish wand-waving did not cause nearly as much drama.

Anyway, I finished it. Now I can say that I have successfully brewed Polyjuice Potion.

With that accomplishment, maybe I'm ready for a copper cauldron. (I blew up my first copper cauldron early in the Beta and have been adamantly using pewter ever since).
Congratulations! That's a fair bit of drama, both with the Lacewing Flies and the stirring. Having to wait 24 hours for a potion to mature certainly increases the anxiety when going to finish it off.

I use copper almost exclusively, but occasionally make a potion in a brass cauldron simply because the artwork is so beautiful. The pewter cauldron has become more important with the PP because of timing issues. From what I understand, potions during the beta period were so buggy, cauldrons were blowing up left and right without any reason. That would have definitely put me off copper - too expensive. I've done about 50 potions in the new lab and I've only lost one brass cauldron - went half a stir too far and blamo!

Old September 29th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Congratulations! That's a fair bit of drama, both with the Lacewing Flies and the stirring. Having to wait 24 hours for a potion to mature certainly increases the anxiety when going to finish it off.
Yeah, it was pretty dramatic! Just glad it let me get away with that half stir in the wrong direction. And then with a couple of stirs in the right direction that didn't "take."

Quote:
I use copper almost exclusively, but occasionally make a potion in a brass cauldron simply because the artwork is so beautiful. The pewter cauldron has become more important with the PP because of timing issues. From what I understand, potions during the beta period were so buggy, cauldrons were blowing up left and right without any reason. That would have definitely put me off copper - too expensive. I've done about 50 potions in the new lab and I've only lost one brass cauldron - went half a stir too far and blamo!
My brass cauldron was gifted to me after I blew up my copper cauldron - on my first potion, no less! I have never used it though. Maybe I'll use it today.

Anyway, I did buy the copper and just finished my first potion in it. I did Cure for Boils because it's a potion I know pretty well. I figured that I should break in a new cauldron with a potion that I don't have to worry too much about.

I think I'll probably practice the other potions in pewter first, and then work on them in copper. I got out of potioning when dueling opened up again during the Beta. I have not potioned much since and am out of practice.

Brewing Polyjuice Potion (and Swelling Solution) has restored a bit of confidence though.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 29th, 2012, 9:00 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Yeah, it was pretty dramatic! Just glad it let me get away with that half stir in the wrong direction. And then with a couple of stirs in the right direction that didn't "take."
You were very lucky there! Way to keep your head about you!

I've had problems with the new stirring. For some reason, starting with the spoon on the other side of the cauldron got me all confused and I would go in the wrong direction. I also find I have to make much wider circles, in the new lab, to get the stir to register.

Quote:
I think I'll probably practice the other potions in pewter first, and then work on them in copper. I got out of potioning when dueling opened up again during the Beta. I have not potioned much since and am out of practice.
I quickly blew up 5 cauldrons trying to make Forgetfulness Potion when I first started. It was the Lethe River Water. I would count 2 drops and then continue--but didn't realize that the counter had to show 2 "drops." They have fixed that in the new lab--my counted drops match what the counter shows now.

That got me into dueling (from shame) which I didn't think I would like. But it's quite fun and I find it relaxing. And, of course, garners many more points than potions. Go Slytherin House!

Quote:
Brewing Polyjuice Potion (and Swelling Solution) has restored a bit of confidence though.
As it should! Those are the most difficult as far as I can tell. But I am looking forward to new potions as new chapters and books are added. I would especially like to try An Elixir to Induce Euphoria. Or Felix Felicis.

Old September 29th, 2012, 9:26 pm
Second Year

How many points you will get with duels?

Old September 29th, 2012, 9:55 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
How many points you will get with duels?
If you win it's 5 points for about 20 seconds worth of work (I should actually time that). If you lose, you've only lost the time. House points aren't deducted. But it does take some practice before you can win on a consistent basis. The total body bind (Petrificus Totalus) gives the highest spell score and so everyone tends to use that spell. You can earn up to a145 score with PT - if your opponent makes less, you win the 5 points for your house.

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Second Year

Only 20 seconds is wonderful! Especially considering 45 minutes (at the very least) for potions... I wish was so fast even for them!

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Quote:
If you win it's 5 points for about 20 seconds worth of work (I should actually time that). If you lose, you've only lost the time. House points aren't deducted. But it does take some practice before you can win on a consistent basis. The total body bind (Petrificus Totalus) gives the highest spell score and so everyone tends to use that spell. You can earn up to a145 score with PT - if your opponent makes less, you win the 5 points for your house.
About the only way to win with something other than Body Bind is to arrange some non-Body Bind duels with a friend - both casting the same spell. That's actually quite fun.

I am disappointed that so far we do not have Expelliarmus. I'm hoping we get it before the finale of CoS, when it gets cast on Lockhart.

At least the new Potions make up for not yet having the spell.

I'm hoping we get Wolfsbane Potion in PoA. And definitely hoping for Felix Felicis in HBP.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:22 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Only 20 seconds is wonderful! Especially considering 45 minutes (at the very least) for potions... I wish was so fast even for them!
In a good session I can make 200-300 points in about half an hour (I brew an Antidote in the mean time). But that is constant work for the whole 30 minutes. I'm also to the point where I'm averaging about 143.7 on my PT. And sometimes you can play when really good players are online and it's harder to win. Or you can get lucky and stumble upon a pride of newbie Gryffindors (they tend not to practice before entering the field of battle, probably hoping courage will rule the day) and just rack up the points.

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I'm hoping we get Wolfsbane Potion in PoA. And definitely hoping for Felix Felicis in HBP.
Maybe felix felicis will be the reward you will get for a potion: Draught of Living Death?

Quote:
In a good session I can make 200-300 points

Wow! In a session you've earned more points than I have earned in a month!

Quote:
Or you can get lucky and stumble upon a pride of newbie Gryffindors (they tend not to practice before entering the field of battle, probably hoping courage will rule the day) and just rack up the points.
Er Im gryffindor

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:33 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
About the only way to win with something other than Body Bind is to arrange some non-Body Bind duels with a friend - both casting the same spell. That's actually quite fun.
Oh, that's a good idea!

Quote:
I am disappointed that so far we do not have Expelliarmus. I'm hoping we get it before the finale of CoS, when it gets cast on Lockhart.
The spell is in the book, it's just not available to use. I thought for sure it would be unlocked for the dueling club chapter, but no.

Quote:
At least the new Potions make up for not yet having the spell.
Yes, that has been nice, if somewhat frustrating.

Quote:
Forgot about Wolfsbane! Love to try that one to!

Quote:
Maybe felix felicis will be the reward you will get for a potion: Draught of Living Death?
That would be cool!

Quote:
Wow! In a session you've earned more points than I have earned in a month!
One of the attractions of dueling.

Quote:
Er… I’m gryffindor
You don't say.

Sorry - have to practice my Slytherin sneer occasionally. There's nothing (really) wrong with being a Gryffindor, I've two in my own family (and, yes, they are insufferably smug about it), and we get along quite well.

Kidding aside, there do seem to be some shared house traits and I've seen more Gryffs dueling unprepared than any other house. Just use the practice button and work on getting a consistent, decent score before playing for real. Or you can always challenge me!
I love easy points!

I've given away about 8 Swelling Solutions to those having problems brewing it, and about half of those were to Gryffindors. So I'm not prejudiced. Not really.

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:47 am
Second Year

Quote:

Or you can always challenge me!
I love easy points!
Yes, very easy!

Quote:
I've given away about 8 Swelling Solutions to those having problems brewing it, and about half of those were to Gryffindors. So I'm not prejudiced. Not really.
I know, no offence taken.

And about the swelling solution, for those who still need it, I have 3 extra potions.

Last edited by Verena; September 30th, 2012 at 11:01 am.
Old September 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
I know, no offence taken.
Good sport!

Quote:
And about the swelling solution, for those who still need it, I have 3 extra potions.
Sounds like you've become pretty good at potions! I think you'd like dueling too - give it a try!

Old September 30th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I think you'd like dueling too - give it a try!
Yes it’s a good idea. I like potions, but it takes too long.

---------------------------------------------------------

It’s too funny! There’s a Hufflepuff who has slaughtered me (we did a lot of duels), he/she has won always and in the end he/she asked me friendship!

Last edited by Verena; September 30th, 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Well, now that I feel like a full-fledged potioner... I attempted Forgetfulness Potion - in my new copper cauldron - and succeeded! My Head of House would be so proud.

Quote:
Sorry - have to practice my Slytherin sneer occasionally. There's nothing (really) wrong with being a Gryffindor, I've two in my own family (and, yes, they are insufferably smug about it), and we get along quite well.

Kidding aside, there do seem to be some shared house traits and I've seen more Gryffs dueling unprepared than any other house. Just use the practice button and work on getting a consistent, decent score before playing for real. Or you can always challenge me!
I love easy points!
LOL. I don't have anything against Gryffindor either, and there are some great Gryffindor duelers. But like mirrormere, I see more unprepared duelers from Gryffindor than from other Houses. I think it's the "boldness" thing - rushing in where angels fear to tread, etc. - which is just so adorably Gryffindor. And you know, as a Slytherin, I'm more than happy to take advantage of their boldness.

However, I do have a chivalrous streak. I do not challenge obvious newbies after beating them. But I will answer their challenges. And that's another thing about Gryffindor... more Gryff newbies will challenge after losing badly - and then challenge again and again and again - when they actually should go back to the practice room and work on Body Bind with other Gryffindors before challenging experienced duelers from other Houses.

It's kind of endearing in a way... not because I'm getting points but because that's exactly the sort of behavior I would expect from Gryffindor. The Sorting Hat does seem to have nailed it.

Personally, I find dueling Gryffindor to be great fun. I think Gryffs are the most likely to friend the people they duel. I have a lot of Gryffindor friends - but no Gryff family members. My husband is a Ravenclaw, and my sister is a Hufflepuff.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Registered Animagus

Can we brew Polyjuice Potion yet? I have the ingredients needed for it, and can't find the recipe.

Old October 1st, 2012, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Can we brew Polyjuice Potion yet? I have the ingredients needed for it, and can't find the recipe.
Yes, we can brew it.

If you go to your Potions, you will see two Potions books at the top. Click on Moste Potente Potions. That's where you will find the recipe. It's in two parts.

You can also find brewing commentary in this thread and on the Web.

Good luck!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:19 am
Third Year

I didn't see anything, but I'm assuming that statuses have to follow the same guidelines as posts in the commonrooms? I would guess that links are out of the question, then?

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
I didn't see anything, but I'm assuming that statuses have to follow the same guidelines as posts in the commonrooms? I would guess that links are out of the question, then?
The neat thing about statuses (and maybe posts) is that they now cross off any words that don't pass the filter and then they let you edit based on the cross-offs. And yes, numbers do get crossed off so I'm guessing that it's all the same rules.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak