Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Pottermore v.12

Old September 26th, 2012, 4:46 pm
The Potions Master

Re: Pottermore v.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Because of the long brewing times for the final part of the polyjuice potion, 18 hours with a copper cauldron, 20 with bronze and 24 with pewter, the making of this has to be carefully planned out if you have any hopes of working on this over the weekend. I failed it the first time when i dropped two lacewings instead of one. I am trying it again and it will be ready for my second attempt tonight. So far this has been a three day process because I can only work on the second part at night.

Has anyone here had any success with pouring out the lacewings and picking them up when they are making part 2 of polyjuice? I hate to try it unless I know that it really works.
I just had success on PPP2 after two failures. Yes, it works! Lay the bottle on it's side. The lacewings will drop out and evaporate on the workbench. But then you will see one clinging to the outside of the bottle opening. Click and hold on it and move it to your cauldron.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 7:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
The second part of PP has to brew for 18 hours. Not kidding.

It is harder. I set up a rythm of turning it on (medium) and off very, very quickly, and can only look at the thermometer half to 3/4's of the time. I never directly look at the timer but just wait for it to disappear from my peripheral vision. I try not to blink either. Ah, potions!
I haven't attempted to brew it yet but...18 hours? O_O

That's almost an entire day....

What do you get for brewing it anyway? Is it worth it?

Old September 26th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post

Most people's guess is that the Polyjuice Potion is needed for proceeding through the final chapters once they're posted on Pottermore.

(I sort of hope that's not the case, personally, because brewing both parts sounds like a major pain.)

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:00 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:

No points are awarded! Which is why we expect it to be needed getting past something in the upcoming chapters.

Then there is just the satisfaction of knowing you did it - that being the mark of a true potioneer.

So get brewing, or make friends with someone who really likes potions!

Last edited by mirrormere; September 26th, 2012 at 8:04 pm.
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
I think it's awesome! Having someone come along and say "crush it, don't cut!"

I am waiting till this weekend to tackle this potion so I have more time. Work keeps cutting into the time requirements for these potions...

I had the same problem, so I put the potion to brew at about nine p.m. using the pewter cauldron, so that the potion would be ready after 24 hours in order to be sure to be already returned from work. Luckily, yesterday I finally managed to prepare it!
Snape would be proud of me

Last edited by Verena; September 26th, 2012 at 8:37 pm.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:45 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Most people's guess is that the Polyjuice Potion is needed for proceeding through the final chapters once they're posted on Pottermore.

(I sort of hope that's not the case, personally, because brewing both parts sounds like a major pain.)
Oh man. -_- I honestly feel like if that's the case, there are a number of people who will just give up on Pottermore because although I'm sure a lot of people on the site are dedicated fans....that doesn't mean that everyone actually has the time to deal with an 18+ hour long potion.

Anyway is it just me or is everyone else getting errors when they go to duel right now?

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Oh man. -_- I honestly feel like if that's the case, there are a number of people who will just give up on Pottermore because although I'm sure a lot of people on the site are dedicated fans....that doesn't mean that everyone actually has the time to deal with an 18+ hour long potion.

Anyway is it just me or is everyone else getting errors when they go to duel right now?
Apart from the usual lag, it works for me right now...

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Second Year

I'm really dreading this potion. but I'll try. It took me 7 tries to get Swelling solution right but at the end of the day I did it. I'm guessing it would indeed be significant since it does not award points. I agree with you on that.

Old September 27th, 2012, 12:45 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I did try the swelling solution. I put in some nettles into the mortar, a message popped up saying crush them, and I did, then a message popped up saying I didn't brew the potion long enough and to try again. I didn't put in aything else so of course I didn't brew it properly. Haven't been back since.
O, I had trouble logging in, so I had to change my password. Next thing I know, I have another account. a new user name, new password, welcome e-mail. I don't want another account, I like the one I have.
I am just an easily discouraged person. Snape would give me detention for my lack of trying.

Old September 27th, 2012, 4:05 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I'm so excited! I'm actually brewing Polyjuice Potion!!!

Okay, I know that so far, I've only finished the first half of Part 1, and this could go very wrong when I get to the lacewing flies (or even the low-heat heating).

But...

IT'S POLYJUICE POTION!!!

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:06 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
I'm so excited! I'm actually brewing Polyjuice Potion!!!

Okay, I know that so far, I've only finished the first half of Part 1, and this could go very wrong when I get to the lacewing flies (or even the low-heat heating).

But...

IT'S POLYJUICE POTION!!!
Success?

Old September 27th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Success?
No. I got over-excited with the lacewing flies in the second half of Part 1. I used Elm's suggestion of steadying the bottle on the edge of the cauldron and succeeded in putting 2 flies in the mortar. Then I promptly spilled the bottle due to my excitement and wasted time setting it right - which distracted me from heating the potion properly.

I should be a little calmer in the next go-round later today. I'm hoping to make it to the end of Part 1 today.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 27th, 2012, 1:44 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
No. I got over-excited with the lacewing flies in the second half of Part 1. I used Elm's suggestion of steadying the bottle on the edge of the cauldron and succeeded in putting 2 flies in the mortar. Then I promptly spilled the bottle due to my excitement and wasted time setting it right - which distracted me from heating the potion properly.

I should be a little calmer in the next go-round later today. I'm hoping to make it to the end of Part 1 today.
Ah. Professor Snape no doubt would have something to say about your over-enthusiastic approach to potion making.

I decant my lacewing flies for PPP1 from the left side of the mortar, steadying the bottle on the rim of the mortar itself. That way I don't contaminate the cauldron contents if anything comes out when I'm righting the bottle.

Better luck next round!

Old September 27th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Second Year

OK. Polyjuice part one is officially the most stressful thing EVER.

When I was heating the cauldron for the 30 seconds, I literally felt like I was going to faint. I couldn't breathe nor blink, my heart was going THAT FAST I felt sick. I just kept my eyes on the thermometer and the buttons ... Christ, I'm still shaky now!
Thankfully I did it. Tomorrow I will attempt part two.

Old September 27th, 2012, 9:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
OK. Polyjuice part one is officially the most stressful thing EVER.

When I was heating the cauldron for the 30 seconds, I literally felt like I was going to faint. I couldn't breathe nor blink, my heart was going THAT FAST I felt sick. I just kept my eyes on the thermometer and the buttons ... Christ, I'm still shaky now!
Thankfully I did it. Tomorrow I will attempt part two.
If it's any comfort, part 2 is much less stressful.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old September 27th, 2012, 9:15 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel79 View Post
If it's any comfort, part 2 is much less stressful.
Until you blow adding the lacewing flies after a minimum of 18 hours waiting for it to brew . . .

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Until you blow adding the lacewing flies after a minimum of 18 hours waiting for it to brew . . .
I have failed part 2 once again - three times in all. This morning I stubbornly refused to try the new technique of spilling the lacewing flies on the table and picking one up. Off course that failed when two flies dropped into the cauldron. The same thing has happened three times now.

I think the worst part of it is that I can't brew any other potions while this potion cooks. I was finally having success with the other potions.

Is anyone else having trouble calculating when to brew part 2? For some reason I keep ending up with it being ready at 1am, when I really wanted 7 pm.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:42 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
I have failed part 2 once again - three times in all. This morning I stubbornly refused to try the new technique of spilling the lacewing flies on the table and picking one up. Off course that failed when two flies dropped into the cauldron. The same thing has happened three times now.
I failed two PPP2's by trying to measure from the bottle. I switched to tipping the bottle over and picking one off of the bottle top. I've made two PPP2's that way so far.

Quote:
I think the worst part of it is that I can't brew any other potions while this potion cooks. I was finally having success with the other potions.
I agree. It would be nice to be able to do multiple potions at the same time, especially PP. In the books they brew PP in the bathroom stall, whilst still brewing potions for their class. We should have the same privilege.

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble calculating when to brew part 2? For some reason I keep ending up with it being ready at 1am, when I really wanted 7 pm.
No problems here. I usually use copper and calculate a near correct time and then depend on the overage (which is about 8 hours for copper) to fine tune when I can do the second part. But I needed 24 hours yesterday and so used the pewter--that would probably be easiest to calculate.

Blew up my brass cauldron when I slightly overheated Cure for Boils, for heaven's sake. Oh well. Off to Potage's.

I wonder if they will ever sell a sliver cauldron, like the sign says?

Last edited by mirrormere; September 27th, 2012 at 10:44 pm.
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Second Year

I did it! I brewed Polyhuice Potion! I do agree part 2 is less stressful. The most stressful thing for me is keeping the temperature in range in part 1. If you can do it in the swelling solution you can do it in the poyjuice potion.

Old September 28th, 2012, 3:07 am
Second Year

Quote:

Which cauldron are you using? I was very confused on my first (and thankfully only attempt at Polyjuice part II) because everyone was saying 18 hours to brew - but that's with the copper cauldron. Polyjuice part II takes 24 hours exactly with the pewter cauldron.

And, yeah, part II was a LOT easier than part I - my big problem with part I was putting lacewing flies into the mortar, because the bottle tended to tip while dragging it back and forth. (The heating wasn't fun either, but that was only about 2-3 failed efforts on part I vs. a good 5-6 because of lacewings.) Gripping the lacewing bottle by the middle and tipping very carefully worked for me on that.

BronzeDragon111 on Pottermore
BronzeDragon on COS, HPANA, and tumblr
Wand: Elder with dragon heartstring, 13'', hard
Ravenclaw on both COS and Pottermore!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak