Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Pottermore v.12

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:54 pm
The Potions Master

Re: Pottermore v.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcipher View Post
Thanks for clarifying!

And phooey! Yet another failed attempt at to Polyjuice Potion, it said I didn't keep the temperature within range, but I'm positive I did. -.- I had 1 second left for heating, and the thermometer was green! Ugh. Here goes another hour of waiting for it to brew -.-
The second part of PP has to brew for 18 hours. Not kidding.

Quote:
Any tips on how to keep the temperature right on low? It's very difficult. I turn the cauldron from Off to Medium, Off to Medium, to keep it on low, but not too low or not too high. But I still manage to mess up somehow.
It is harder. I set up a rythm of turning it on (medium) and off very, very quickly, and can only look at the thermometer half to 3/4's of the time. I never directly look at the timer but just wait for it to disappear from my peripheral vision. I try not to blink either. Ah, potions!

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Last edited by mirrormere; September 24th, 2012 at 1:36 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2012, 1:13 am
Fourth Year

Okay so I finally finished the new Pottermore chapters:

Spoiler: show
The deathday party art was amazing. The music gave it this eerie feel that I really liked.

Loved that we got to see Binns in art form.

Random thought, why did we need to pick up a sponge?

I found the new info about purebloods interesting.

Old September 24th, 2012, 9:05 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Finally managed to 'conquer' Flying to Hogwarts! Now if I can just crash into the Whomping Willow . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 24th, 2012, 6:05 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Well, now that I've had a chance to look at Pottermore on the new computer, I'd say they definitely designed the artwork & hidden things in the scenes to be seen/accessed on a newer computer with a 16:9 widescreen, rather than the old traditional monitors with the 4:3 aspect ratio like TVs used to have before the advent of flat screens.

Old September 24th, 2012, 6:33 pm
Third Year

They've added a personal status and I earned a fourth badge... Some new interesting stuff going on...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old September 24th, 2012, 6:49 pm
The Potions Master

If anyone friended me on Pottermore and wanted me to send them a Swelling Solution, you will need to owl me with your full Pottermore username. Since I duel, quite frequently I will get friend requests from those I challenge and have no way to discern between those requests and those who need potions. Thx.

Old September 24th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
The funny thing is that I haven't had any problem with swelling solution, but I have failed at making potions that I have made hundreds of times. Herbicide failed because of a glitch that is similar to yours, it said I did something wrong when I didn't do it. Antidote to Common Poisons failed because I stirred too many times. The counter was slow measuring the turns. And I had trouble stirring the Wideye potion and the timer ran out. Is anyone else having trouble with stirring?

I've decided not to make too many potions until Pottermore has fixed some of these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Quite a few people are having this problem and it seems to occur on older systems. Report it to Pottermore, be specific about the pro.blem and give them your computer stats-type, OS, browser, versions, etc.

You may want to read through the end of v.11 of this thread for more info. If you can get someone to gift you a swelling solution it will open Snape's private stores and allow you to continue. I have several available, brewed for this purpose, but am limited to computer access today. To transfer a portion you will need to friend me on Pottermore (see my signature below). You'll need to owl me your Pottermore username so I know who to send it to.

Thanks guys.
Tried again this morning and it just wouldn't work. I emailed them with my problems, but I don't think it should be my laptop - I only got it in July and everything's new/updated. Hmmm.

Old September 24th, 2012, 7:31 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Have just gone back through Book 1/PS with the new computer -- looks like they've added audiobook narrations to some of the moments there since the last time I looked.

Old September 24th, 2012, 7:55 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
Thanks guys.
Tried again this morning and it just wouldn't work. I emailed them with my problems, but I don't think it should be my laptop - I only got it in July and everything's new/updated. Hmmm.
What about your network connection? A slower (older) router or service might also be the culprit.

Old September 24th, 2012, 8:54 pm
Second Year

After 24 hours of brewing ... I have to start all over again!
I realized what is ingredient that I dislike: lacewing flies! Every time I read on the instructions that I have to add 1 or more scoop of lacewings is a shock!

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
What about your network connection? A slower (older) router or service might also be the culprit.
Ohh that could be it.
I've just moved into halls at University... Maybe it is the internet. It works fine, but it just might not be good enough. I don't know xD I can duel though! I need to try more potions maybe.

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:19 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
Ohh that could be it.
I've just moved into halls at University... Maybe it is the internet. It works fine, but it just might not be good enough. I don't know xD I can duel though! I need to try more potions maybe.
It could be the connection is overloaded as well. There might be a place on your campus that you can connect that would work better - you may want to check with your IT department for suggestions.

Old September 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm
Second Year

Problem. Can no longer brew Swelling Solution or Polyjuice Potion. It doesn't say brew this potion next to either of them and instead of the "buy" button on a couple of the ingredients it just has a weird little symbol. Anybody else got this?

Old September 25th, 2012, 9:05 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz View Post
Problem. Can no longer brew Swelling Solution or Polyjuice Potion. It doesn't say brew this potion next to either of them and instead of the "buy" button on a couple of the ingredients it just has a weird little symbol. Anybody else got this?
I think the weird little symbol is a search icon--which means you can find the ingredients in the book chapters and replenish your supplies. Once you do that, the brew buttons will reappear.

Here are the links for findable ingredients for those two potions (I bookmark them):

Bat Spleens
Dried Nettles
Fluxweed (5th level)
Knotgrass
Leeches (3rd level after cleaning the mirror)
Horn of Bicorn, Skin of Boomslang (3rd level, in Snape’s private stores)
Slytherin Student Hair

Last edited by mirrormere; September 25th, 2012 at 9:17 pm.
Old September 26th, 2012, 1:31 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Quote:
Any tips on how to keep the temperature right on low? It's very difficult. I turn the cauldron from Off to Medium, Off to Medium, to keep it on low, but not too low or not too high. But I still manage to mess up somehow.
It is harder. I set up a rythm of turning it on (medium) and off very, very quickly, and can only look at the thermometer half to 3/4's of the time. I never directly look at the timer but just wait for it to disappear from my peripheral vision. I try not to blink either. Ah, potions!
This worked great. My eyes usually start to blur trying to look at the thermometer and the buttons, back and forth while toggling on and off. But I just concentrated on the buttons, turning them off and on rapidly, with the thermometer in the corner of my vision. I looked up a few times to see how much time was left. But I didn't overheat the two potions that I did this with.

Now if I could just get those lacewings to drop slowly. I've also had trouble with mistletoe berries, something I haven't had a problem with before.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old September 26th, 2012, 1:41 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Now if I could just get those lacewings to drop slowly.
I have trouble with the lacewing flies too. The second half of PPP1, putting them in the mortar, works fine and they come out one at a time. Though I do have to decant from the left side of the bowl--maybe that makes a difference?

Someone said a few people had luck dumping some on the table and picking them up with the mouse, but in PPP1 they just evaporate. I haven't tried it in PPP2, which seems much more sensitive. I might try decanting the lacewings from the left of the cauldron next time.

Quote:
I've also had trouble with mistletoe berries, something I haven't had a problem with before.
I have trouble now too--just come out too fast, after like kind of getting stuck. I have to tilt it much more to get something to come out and then it comes out too fast. I used to love swinging that jar around in the old lab--not any more.

Old September 26th, 2012, 2:35 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

FINALLY! I brewed the Swelling Solution successfully and raided Snape's private stores.

I was basically having trouble stirring the Potion without a graphics pen. (My cats hid it somewhere in the house apparently). So I bought a new graphics pen and finally got the Potion to count my stirs. I did manage the 30-seconds on low correctly the first time. It was just getting past the stirring that was killing me.

So... I guess I can try Polyjuice now.

ETA:

ElmBlade (Blog of a Pottermore Beta) has some interesting instructions for how to handle lacewing flies. Check it out:

http://elmgoestohogwarts.com/2012/09...f-two-potions/

You have to scroll down the page to get to the instructions for Part 2. But Elm suggests not pouring the flies directly into the cauldron.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; September 26th, 2012 at 2:53 am.
Old September 26th, 2012, 3:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
FINALLY! I brewed the Swelling Solution successfully and raided Snape's private stores.

I was basically having trouble stirring the Potion without a graphics pen. (My cats hid it somewhere in the house apparently). So I bought a new graphics pen and finally got the Potion to count my stirs. I did manage the 30-seconds on low correctly the first time. It was just getting past the stirring that was killing me.

So... I guess I can try Polyjuice now.

ETA:

ElmBlade (Blog of a Pottermore Beta) has some interesting instructions for how to handle lacewing flies. Check it out:

http://elmgoestohogwarts.com/2012/09...f-two-potions/

You have to scroll down the page to get to the instructions for Part 2. But Elm suggests not pouring the flies directly into the cauldron.
Geez, it's like the Half-Blood Prince four books too early.

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Old September 26th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Third Year

I think it's awesome! Having someone come along and say "crush it, don't cut!"

I am waiting till this weekend to tackle this potion so I have more time. Work keeps cutting into the time requirements for these potions...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old September 26th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
I think it's awesome! Having someone come along and say "crush it, don't cut!"

I am waiting till this weekend to tackle this potion so I have more time. Work keeps cutting into the time requirements for these potions...

Because of the long brewing times for the final part of the polyjuice potion, 18 hours with a copper cauldron, 20 with bronze and 24 with pewter, the making of this has to be carefully planned out if you have any hopes of working on this over the weekend. I failed it the first time when i dropped two lacewings instead of one. I am trying it again and it will be ready for my second attempt tonight. So far this has been a three day process because I can only work on the second part at night.

Has anyone here had any success with pouring out the lacewings and picking them up when they are making part 2 of polyjuice? I hate to try it unless I know that it really works.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak