Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

Old December 4th, 2009, 5:18 pm
First Year

ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

Greetings all.
I am new to Muggle net, and am very glad to be part of this group. As many of you may know ABC Family will be airing Harry Potter films beginning tonight at 7.30pm (EST). I have seen ABC Family's version of the Sorcerer's Stone and I wanted to invite you all to watch it. This version as approx. 30 mins of film not on the DVD. There is a scene of Dudley in his Smelting uniform, Aunt P. cracking open eggs with Harry's letter's in them, Harry and Hagrid on the train to London ect. Many of these additional scenes are important to the movie, and some are just Fun. If you have Time please check it out I would love to talk about the differences in this version to the DVD. The Sorcerer's Stone will air on Saturday @ 12.30pm (EST) as well.

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Second Year

Re: ABC Family's Version Of HP and the SS

It is actually seven minutes of new footage, the full half hour is mostly commercials. I've seen the extended ABC Family cut and it was great, even better than the original. In case you didn't know this Tuesday the "Ultimate Cuts" are being released on DVD/blu-ray and they contain these extended cuts plus loads of extras (for both films 1 and 2).

Old December 4th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Fifth Year

You beat me to it, CrazyMuggle.
I'm looking forward to those Ultimate editions.
Funny thing is, I was just saying how 'tis the season for Harry Potter to be airing on TV again! Good catch. Crappy thing is, I have to work all day Saturday (OT) . Bummer.
I need the christmas money though.

Old December 4th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I too will miss Friday's showing of the Sorcerer's Stone, because I am at school during that time. And, I thought that OoTP will be shown also this weekend.

Old December 4th, 2009, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Oh, I had no idea about this.
New footage not seen even in the deleted scenes coming in the DVDs? Is that the Chris Columbus movie?.

I am very glad about this.

Hopefully they will be doing the same with CoS

Sounds like a mega extended DVDs/ Blue Rays coming in the future.
I don´t know if it exist now. Ultimate Film Collection Editions??

Old December 6th, 2009, 7:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet_Master View Post
Oh, I had no idea about this.
New footage not seen even in the deleted scenes coming in the DVDs? Is that the Chris Columbus movie?.

I am very glad about this.

Hopefully they will be doing the same with CoS

Sounds like a mega extended DVDs/ Blue Rays coming in the future.
I don´t know if it exist now. Ultimate Film Collection Editions??
No, nothing we haven't seen before! Unfortunately since we know there's alot of unused materials (LIKE PEEVES!!!!!!) ...

Old December 7th, 2009, 8:07 pm
Second Year

I watched the 'Harry Potter Weekend' thing that ABC Family was doing.. I ended up watching Sorcerer's Stone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! Haha. It was amazing, though. Does anyone know when they'll be adding Order of the Phoenix to their Harry Potter lineup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
In case you didn't know this Tuesday the "Ultimate Cuts" are being released on DVD/blu-ray and they contain these extended cuts plus loads of extras (for both films 1 and 2).
I saw the commercials for those, they'd play them after they played some sort of footage of interviews with Emma, Rupert, Dan, or Chris Colombus. I'm waiting for the rest of the films to come out to just buy them as a bundle pack or something, but I also noticed at the bottom of the screen it said "years 3-7 coming soon". It made me realize (again) that these movies are going to be done before we know it! Gah, it makes me depressed

Oct. 31 2009
One of the best days of my life.

Can you see? You remind of how I used to be.
Let's say goodbye to our maybes,
incomplete, just a texture of how life really is.
And it seems to feel so real.
Old December 7th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Sixth Year

PoA AND GoF were extended too I think this is the first time they showed the extended edition of GoF. The PoA has been airing for a while. It was nice to see the Snape/Karkaroff carriage scene where it belongs

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old December 7th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Sixth Year

I like it when they add the deleted scenes on tv. The extra scenes really add to the movie. Although, I missed half of GOF on Sunday night and when I tuned in, the were playing an extended scene! I was bummed because I didn't know if I missed any other deleted scenes for GOF!

And are the dvd versions of the Ultimate releases of SS and COS gonna be the same as blu-ray, or is it going to be one of those things where you get a bit more on the blu-ray than you do on the dvd?

Old December 7th, 2009, 8:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, were edited fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; December 7th, 2009 at 9:17 pm.
Old December 7th, 2009, 9:16 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP.
Damn, I wish I would have seen this! Unfortunately we haven't been getting ABC Family on our TV at the moment for some odd reason

Good to hear they left out the extended Weird Sister scene...I HATE that deleted scene. Overall, GoF is actually my least favorite film but perhaps with the other deleted scenes added back in I'll think more highly of it. Wasn't a huge fan of 'em, but the carriage scene is great

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 7th, 2009 at 9:23 pm.
Old December 7th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
And are the dvd versions of the Ultimate releases of SS and COS gonna be the same as blu-ray, or is it going to be one of those things where you get a bit more on the blu-ray than you do on the dvd?
If you're referring to the extended cuts, they will be the same both on DVD and blu-ray. However the blu-ray has a bit more extras (including a film-length video commentary by the director.)

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Yes! They finally extended GOF! (Gof has been running on ABC family since summer 2008 but not extended). I was pleasantly surprised and elated last night when the school suddenly erupted into the Hogwarts song! Every single deleted scene on the DVD except for the extended Yule Ball Weird Sisters rock song/mosh pit scene, were edited fairly seamlessly into the movie proper. The deleted scenes make GOF a better movie, IMO, like the deleted scenes from COS make that movie better! You get a stronger sense that Voldemort is coming back, and it also embellishes Snape's backstory and character a little more which connects nicely to HBP.
I think the most important deleted scene that was added back in was when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking about the death of Crouch. When I first saw the movie, I was like "Why did Harry just prance up to Dumbledore's office and not say a word about Crouch?" Then I realized that you can hear Dumbledore say "a man has died". I could hardly hear it! Having the scene back really helps the movie. You hear Ron specifically mention Crouch is dead, and Hermione says you should go to Dumbledore, so it makes sense why he randomly goes there.

Oh, and yes, I am glad too the extended Yule Ball scene was not put in. It would have made the movie WAY to draggy.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
If you're referring to the extended cuts, they will be the same both on DVD and blu-ray. However the blu-ray has a bit more extras (including a film-length video commentary by the director.)
Okay. Thanks! Have been thinking of going Blu-Ray, but can't quite decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5555 View Post
I think the most important deleted scene that was added back in was when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking about the death of Crouch. When I first saw the movie, I was like "Why did Harry just prance up to Dumbledore's office and not say a word about Crouch?" Then I realized that you can hear Dumbledore say "a man has died". I could hardly hear it! Having the scene back really helps the movie. You hear Ron specifically mention Crouch is dead, and Hermione says you should go to Dumbledore, so it makes sense why he randomly goes there.
I thought the same thing on that scene! It really helped to bridge the other two scenes together!
But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" It just seemed rather odd.

Last edited by katana; December 8th, 2009 at 12:03 am.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:

I thought the same thing on that scene! It really helped to bridge the other two scenes together!
But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" I just seemed rather odd.
Hmmm... didn't notice, I'll check again (DVR FTW!). Hopefully it will be restored in the Ultimate Collector's Edition.

So did anyone notice if in PoA they added back in the scenes when Sirius went to kill Scabbers? I wasn't home when it was on, and I have not seen the extended edition in its entirety.

Old December 8th, 2009, 1:40 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:

But I also noticed that they cut part of the scene when Snape is talking to Harry about slipping Veritaserum into his juice. The cut the part where Snape tells Harry that he knows they're brewing Polyjuice potion and he's gonna find out why. They had Snape slamming the door in Harry's face right after he says "boomslang skin? Lacewing flies?" It just seemed rather odd.
Yes, they did! I noticed that too. It's because the next scene is the deleted scene where Hermione pieces together that Snape thinks they are brewing polyjuice potion. If they kept Snape's last line, it would have been redundant.

I too loved that trio common room scene. I think it's become my favorite of all the deleted scenes for GOF. It feels like the book for some reason...Ron is actually knowledgeable and smart. He mentions how the Ministry will cover it up setting up the ministry plot in OOTP. Hermione says how surviving the tournament isn't the answer anymore, that it's bigger than that and enumerates all the strange events that have been happening which builds up the atosmphere of the return of Voldemort.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old December 8th, 2009, 1:56 am
Sixth Year

Welcome to Mugglenet!

I did enjoy the ABC versions (me and my sister watched all the HP movies they played for all three nights ) - because it included the extra footage which I enjoyed because the movies (especially in SS and CoS) included deleted scenes that did come from the books, and made the first 2 movies feel as if they were best of the films; the first 2 movies stayed true to the first two books IMO - PoA is a close second.

I do have the deleted scenes on my DVD's but I don't watch them because the extra disc in my copies of SS and CoS have so much filler stuff to wade through to get to the bonus stuff, I don't even bother

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 8th, 2009, 4:09 am
Second Year

hey did the poa version shown on abc include the deleted scenes? and if so did they put all of them? including the one were mcgonagall appears in the common room

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstopper View Post
hey did the poa version shown on abc include the deleted scenes? and if so did they put all of them? including the one were mcgonagall appears in the common room
The only two deleted scenes I noticed were an extended sequence with a blue bird (where Hagrid tries to smack it between his hands) and Sir Cadagon not allowing the Gryffindors passage into the Common Room. There was no McGonagall (I don't think they can re-insert that scene without the Sirius/scabbers attack).

Old January 7th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Sixth Year

Harry Potter Weekened on ABC Family THIS Weekend!

Saturday, January 9th 2010:
8:00 pm: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Sunday, January 10th, 2010:
7:30 pm: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

These are both the extended editions, so set your TiVo's and DVR's now.

It is a shame they are not showing the first two. ABC Family also has the rights for OotP, so we should see it in the near future. Other 2007 movies like Spider Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End all debuted in 2009 so we should see it on ABC Family soon.

Last edited by Jack5555; January 8th, 2010 at 4:59 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies