Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

never too old for Harry im 23 :-)

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2011, 8:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samee View Post
Am I the only one who always thought the books were a little too over complicated for children? I struggle at times to understand bits of it and I'm 18. I don't understand how a 10 year old is supposed to make sense of it all.
The thing is - I do see Harry Potter, the early books as children's books - fantastic ones though, and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe it's also the way I experienced the novels. I read the first 3 at 9/10. And did not read the 4th one until I was 12. The next three I read from the ages of 13 - 17. I really couldn't have imagined by 10 year old self reading the latter books. If I were to read these books to a child or introduce them - I wouldn't necessarily want them to read the latter books, only because I think that wouldn't get the right experience of them. I was 17 when I was reading the last book and I loved that it felt so fitting being the same as age as Harry as if we were genuinely finishing the story together and I truly had grown up with Harry.

I would prefer the later books to be read by teens(I don't mean late teens either, early teens is perfectly adequate). But I don't think a 10 year old reading DH would get the true significance out all of it and it wouldn't be the same adventure for them as PS or COS. I see it as a series that growing up with it the best experience. Adults can read all 7 in one go and appreciate it, but I wouldn't think a child could in the same way.

I see the series as universal as other said. I think HP series is unique though in that it does grow, and mature - most series don't work like that, I think that is in part what makes it so special.

Old October 1st, 2011, 9:53 am
First Year

I would like to reverse the question. Not when are we too old but when are we too young to read Harry Potter? I mean, if I look back on reading the series myself I can draw a timeline..

PS: 1998 - 11
COS: 1999 - 12
POA: 2000 - 13
GOF: 2000 - 13
OotP: 2003 - 16
HBP: 2005 - 18
DH: 2007 - 20

So I've started with PS when I was 11. Fun fact to see is that I've read the first four books within two years. And so far I think it's appropiate for young teens (say until they are 14). After GOF there's a turning point in which the story envolves and gets darker. To fully understand the last three books you're rather too young than too old imho. I mean, I've read OotP when I was 16, but at that time I really had not figured everything out yet. Sure, I did follow the main storyline. But all the details on the background went past me. Untill I've re-read them later on when I was twenty years old and/or older.

So I reverse it because I do think that for certain subjects who were introduced later on, you better understand when you're older and more mature. Looking back on my reading trackrecord there were things which I did not fully understand at that time. But since the moment I start to reread the series when I was older I finally did. Sure, you can read the whole serie as a kid. You will also understand the main storyline. But just in general, nothing specific. And in order to fully understand the whole package, not just the main storyline you're never too old.

Next to that I do recommend to read the series along side of Harry who grows up. So start when you're 11. Stick to one book a year. And once you're about to finish the story with book 7, you will be 17. It's more fun to enjoy it in that way. But that doesn't mean if you were not able to do so, you're too old. On the contrary, you're rather too young. I mean, to explain one thing.. when reading GOF, I really didn't like how it began and ended. Sure I had my fair share of eeriness by reading for instance a lot of Roald Dahl. But some other authors as well Paul van Loon, known for the Griezelbus. Anyhow, what I wanted to say. The very moment I read the first and last chapter of GOF, it really scared me as 13th years old kid. So, in the end it all depends on if a child can fully understand everything there is been told. And for some parts, certainly the last three books I rather find people too young to read them. Because they cannot fully understand everything. And then being older is an advantage. So all in all, you're never too old to enjoy reading Harry Potter.

Proud member of the Pottermore Battalion and loyal to our commander in chief: Gryff!
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:08 am
First Year

You are never too old. NEVER!!!!! This has probably been said over and over again but with so many replies I'm not going to read through them all....but if a book grabs you then it doesn't matter what age it's aimed for. If YOU think it's a good book then it's a good book for you to read. And who the hell discourages reading?!

I read the PS when I was still 11, going on 12 (I secretly hoped for a "late" invitation to Hogwarts...who didn't?!) and DH was released when I was 21 (it accompanied me during my first week of living alone...and I stilll hoped for that belated Hogwarts letter )
There was no way I could have read the first few books then decided not to continue with the rest because I was "too old".

I think the books progressed with maturity, just like the readers. I don't suppose my 6 year old son will grasp some of the concepts in the later books. I don't think he would understand, at this stage, certain relationships within the series, or why names and places are significant or how certain things are tied together.

Obviously teens and adults can appreciate these things and with certain life expereinces can possibly relate in some way. I think it's just the "theme" of the books which turn people's noses up...(why would you read about a wizard?) without realising there is so much more to it that appeals to both children and adults.

I think it's the mark of an amazing book that it can appeal to both 6 year olds and 60 year olds!

Old October 10th, 2011, 3:47 am
Third Year

Well the books originally started coming out when I was much younger and the first movie came out when I was 17. The main characters were born in 1980 and I'm around their age(1984).

Even so though, I really don't think anyone is too old for Harry Potter. Infact with pretty much any series I don't tend to say someone is to old for it...if you like it you like it, I don't see why it matters what your age is.

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:21 pm
Second Year

No one is ever too old for hp.
The end.

But being too young, on the other hand... I made my brother wait until I thought he was old enough to really understand the books by making him wait a few years book, progressively. I mean, 1-6 were all already out, and he was only nine or ten! He was definitely to young to understand them, especially all the relationship drama.

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Old October 13th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Fourth Year

I agree I wish my parents would have had my little brother wait until he could better understand what they meant. There is a lot in the some young children can't honestly understand. And I have some friends who they let their daughter read the 1st 3 books, but are making her wait until she is older to read 4-7 because really young children don't need to be reading about so much murder and death(IMO).

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorAccio16 View Post
I would like to reverse the question. Not when are we too old but when are we too young to read Harry Potter?

So I reverse it because I do think that for certain subjects who were introduced later on, you better understand when you're older and more mature. Looking back on my reading trackrecord there were things which I did not fully understand at that time. But since the moment I start to reread the series when I was older I finally did. Sure, you can read the whole serie as a kid. You will also understand the main storyline. But just in general, nothing specific. And in order to fully understand the whole package, not just the main storyline you're never too old.
This isn't a book comparison but a movie comparison: I've watched Dirity Dancing since I can remember, I have always loved the movie and I still watch it to this day. It can be argued that I was a little too young to watch it when I was 7 or 8(I honestly can't remember how old I was the first time I saw it I was 2 when it came out) , I didn't understand some of the humor some of the references or some of the themes but in the same measure I followed the story and I enjoyed it. As I grew up and would watch it at age 13, age 17, age 21, age 26 etc. I pick up more and more of what I missed out on as a child because my world view has expanded so much.

I think a similar thing can be said about the HP series. I think 4 years old might be too young but certainly by age 8 or 9 if my child were reading the books I'd be okay with it on the grounds that I know some things will just go right over their heads but that they'd follow the story and their enjoyment would only grow as they aged and reread to books.

How young is too young to watch Bambi? In the first ten minutes of the movie his mother is shot by a hunter. How young is too young to watch Finding Nemo? In the first five minutes Nemo's mother is killed, by minute 15 he's kidnapped by a diver.

As far as too old goes, you're never too old to read. And who cares if it's a children's story or not, it's well written, entertaining, engaging, provacative... as said before, anyone who tells you you're too old is too judgemental, hasn't read the books, is a fuddy-duddy or all of the above. I don't run around telling people they've really outgrown their video games. And what's wrong with staying in touch with your inner child?

Old October 17th, 2011, 11:25 am
First Year

no one is too old for harry potter, no one is even old for school

Old October 18th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotter17 View Post
I agree I wish my parents would have had my little brother wait until he could better understand what they meant. There is a lot in the some young children can't honestly understand. And I have some friends who they let their daughter read the 1st 3 books, but are making her wait until she is older to read 4-7 because really young children don't need to be reading about so much murder and death(IMO).
And I think that's wonderful.
I was more worried about my brother being confused about the relationship stuff, violence never even crossed my mind. It does get pretty intense.

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:53 pm
First Year

I will say, No! No one is too old to read Harry Potter. I have several grandchildren, and enjoyed the books very much.

Of course, I had tried to read them several years ago and felt they were too light and fluffy, but continued watching the movies. Some time before DH1 was released, I decided to read all the way through, which I did.

By the time I read Prisoner of Azkaban, they were becoming more Sirius, and from Goblet of Fire onward the books were anything but light and fluffy. Indeed, the books had developed complex plotlines with complex characters. In fact, some of the later books may be a little too intense for younger readers.

OwlSun126

Old November 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I will say, No! No one is too old to read Harry Potter. I have several grandchildren, and enjoyed the books very much.
Wow that's great! I hope someday I"ll have a grandchild. I'm 67. I got really hooked on the books and the movies too. My favorite character is Snape.

Old November 6th, 2011, 3:44 am
First Year

I don't think anyone is too old for Harry Potter. The series is timeless and anyone at any age, can read the series and enjoy it because it's really well-written and entertaining. Besides, as it has already been mentioned, I would have to say that the later books in the series are much darker and deal with serious themes that perhaps children won't be able to understand as well as adult readers.

Old November 8th, 2011, 4:12 am
First Year

There's no way you can be too old for Harry Potter, but I think someone can be too young for the series. There's definitely some things in this book that smaller children would not understand and shouldn't be exposed to until they're older.

I've been told by people that I'm too old for HP (24), but I've come to realize that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about because they haven't read the books.

Old November 8th, 2011, 6:47 pm
First Year

Never too old! I'm 26; I read book 1 nearly half my lifetime ago and was all grown up by the time the last one came out- and of course the last movie came out just recently. I can't just stop reading and watching something right in the middle just because another calendar year turned over! Besides, HP is timeless!

Old November 8th, 2011, 7:44 pm
First Year

Never ever ever ever will I let anyone tell me I'm too old for Harry Potter. I'm only 14 now but as I get older, he will still be my favorite little boy.

Old November 10th, 2011, 3:51 pm
Third Year

No. If it were so, then we can only be too boring and mundane to even think such!

Old November 10th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Fourth Year

Occasionally I will use a Harry Potter quote at work ( I work in a primary school - kids are age 5-11) - usually to the older children - and they think it's really cool that I have read all the books!

Old November 10th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Second Year

I don't think we are too old. The plot can be hard to understand, I know I had trouble when I was younger. I think when young kids read it, they can understand the basic concept but not complicated plots. And it sure is great that we can discuss everything on this forum! Younger kids couldn't go as deep in discussion.

Lightnox167
12 inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn Hair core, unyielding

Old November 10th, 2011, 9:30 pm
Sixth Year

There is no age limit on fantasy. For someone to tell me I'm too old to read Harry Potter, well that person just does not have any imagination at all then! Now I would totally understand if they told me I'm too old to watch cartoons, but guess what? They still make me laugh, and they still remind me that stress in life can be eased with a little humor, even if it means watching or reading "childrens" things.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak