Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 9th, 2011, 1:24 am
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post
I guess the later books are a lot more complex, and sometimes confusing, than the first few books are. I don't think I would have understood all of book 6 and 7 if I had read them when I was a kid. But maybe it isn't necessary for a 10 year old to make sense of it all. As long as they can understand enough, they might still enjoy the books and just read them again later.
I agree, I started reading them when I was still in grade school. Granted, only the first, maybe the second, book(s) were out. Even still, going back and reading them now I find things I didn't completely understand before, but I loved them then and love them now - just in slightly different ways.

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

Sparkswing90 -- Acacia and Dragon, Eleven and a Half inches, Brittle -- Pottermore! -- CoS
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:11 am
First Year

No, no, NO! I'm not too old to read the Harry Potter books. I read them all as an adult (four times), and I think that being an adult actually helps me appreciate the books more.

Sorted into RAVENCLAW on CoS by only one vote over SLYTHERIN.

Found the Magical Quill on 8/3/11
Pottermore welcome email on 9/23/11
Username: AccioFlight
House: Slytherin
Wand: Aspen, Phoenix feather, 12 1/4 inches, Slightly Springy
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:20 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraTrilling View Post
No, no, NO! I'm not too old to read the Harry Potter books. I read them all as an adult (four times), and I think that being an adult actually helps me appreciate the books more.
Another thing too, I have probably read them 8+ times. and almost every time I come away with something new!

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:39 am
First Year

As with most other literary works, children will have different ideas and impressions about the books than some of the older audiences. And that's the great thing about the series; they're multi-layered. Every time you read one of the books you'll get something out of it, a lot of the time due to the new experiences we go through in our lives every day. For example, the first time I read the books I was rather young, so I only saw them as an exciting story I really liked. About a decade later and now I understand them on a deeper level. As I grow older, I begin to relate to more and more characters and the challenges they face. An eleven-year-old will go on the journey with Harry and his classmates, but his father will understand Sirius' longing to spend time with and care for his godson. Someone who sees how fleeting life is may, at times, even sympathise with Voldemort in his hunt for the Philosopher's Stone and someone who is constantly picked on his quest for power.

So not only is Harry Potter suitable for every age (which is quite an achievement) but it is also suitable for every type of person.

"We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid.
For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks.”
- Phineas Nigellus

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:26 pm
First Year

Technically, Harry is older than me and I'm nearly 30, so no! Not too old! Although I must give credit to my little cousin for getting me into the series -- now I'm a bigger fan than anyone I know personally!

Pottermore UN: QuillWitch113
House: Slytherin
Wand: Fir, 10 3/4 inches, Unicorn Hair, Unyielding

CountingDown Messageboard Vet - CoS, PoA Luna241 Jade Those were the days!
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:16 pm
First Year

Never!
Like the other posters have said, I think the older you are, the easier it is to understand the plot (eg sarcasm comes up pretty frequently towards DH, which might be a bit confusing to the young 'uns).

Proud to be in Hufflepuff
Old September 12th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Fourth Year

No! Never! I read them in my 40's and will still be reading them in my 80's!

Old September 13th, 2011, 8:13 pm
First Year

You're never too young or too old to learn from something.

Old September 17th, 2011, 1:06 pm
First Year

Never too old for Harry Potter.

In the words of what internet people have pretended was Alan Rickman, “When I'm 80 years old, I'll be reading Harry Potter. My family will say, 'After all this time?' and I will say 'Always.'”

Old September 18th, 2011, 2:06 am
First Year

I agree that Harry Potter is for everyone. I started them in elementary school and I'm now a college graduate working a "real world" job who still loves the series. I think that as long as we aren't "creepy" about our interest--I think this happens mostly in the realm of fans who are really into the movie actors, and were also into them while they were underage--then it's always appropriate to love HP!

Cedar wand, 10 3/4", phoenix feather core, reasonably supple.
Old September 19th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Suteki da ne

I can't understand why some people would think that anyone is too old for Harry Potter. I started reading the books when I was fifteen, and I'm 26 in less than a fortnight, so I've been reading the books for over ten years. I've probably read each of them at least twelve times.

I remember being in an English lesson when I was in year nine, not long after I'd started to read the books. Some of us had finished the work, and we were told we could read. A lad I was sat near took Chamber of Secrets out of his bag, found his page and began to read. Some of his friends started to laugh at him, but he carried on. Thing is, this lad was considered one of the "cool" lot...so not long after that, the Potter books began to appear in the bags of the people who had laughed at him. The teacher who was taking our class- she was on supply- started a quiet discussion with a few of us, asking us what we thought was going to happen in Goblet of Fire, which was to be released in a few weeks. She told me to go to the English store cupboard along the corridor and grab a couple of copies of each of the three books. I went, but there was a teacher in the cupboard. He was drinking a cup of coffee, eating a chocolate digestive and reading Prisoner of Azkaban. He looked quite guilty about me walking in, but he began to laugh when I picked up the books I'd been sent for. This guy was the head of English...and he was totally absorbed in the book until I'd walked in. And yes, he was the head of English, but that doesn't mean that he'd automatically pick up one of the books for pleasure. Bearing in mind that he was about 65 at the time, I'd say that he's an example of Harry Potter being not just for kids- he was an adult with quite a high position, and he was reading the books, and enjoying them. So don't feel like you're too old for Harry Potter. I held my head up high and openly read Order of the Phoenix when it was first released in the school library, and I'm quite happy to read them on the bus, in the pub, at work, because they are books that I enjoy. And there's nothing wrong with that.

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletDraconis View Post
I agree that Harry Potter is for everyone. I started them in elementary school and I'm now a college graduate working a "real world" job who still loves the series. I think that as long as we aren't "creepy" about our interest--I think this happens mostly in the realm of fans who are really into the movie actors, and were also into them while they were underage--then it's always appropriate to love HP!
Aww, man. Does that make this creepy?

On topic, I think that actually, people born late enough should really read HP three times during their lives. Once when they're around 11-13, once when they're in their late teens, and once when they're adults (doesn't matter if they're in their 20s or 60s). My reasoning is that all three times, the experience will be fully different, and at each age you'll perceive the characters differently. Me, I'm 28 and didn't get my first chance to read through the books until I was in my 20s.

Last edited by APolaris; September 19th, 2011 at 10:25 pm.
Old September 20th, 2011, 1:10 am
First Year

No one is ever too old for the things that they love. I saw this saying carved into a cement wall last summer: "You don't stop smiling because you get old, you get old because you stop smiling." So if Harry Potter makes you smile, you will never get old!

There are entire university courses offered on Harry Potter, taught by professors in their 60s and aimed at students in their late teens/early 20s. At my high school, we have a Quidditch club. The faculty sponser is in her late 50s. If people out grew Potter, than these would not exist.

The current young children (5-13) are not nearly has Harry Potter obsessed as my generation was. Most of them were born after the first book was pblished. Because of that, I do not think that the series will remain as a children's phenomenon. It will move age groups with its original fans. IMO, the reason that Harry Potter has not taken over the "adult" world yet on the same scale as it had with the world of children is because the Potter generation has not fully matured yet. The people who grew up right alongside Harry and his friends are going to bring Harry with them to all stages of life.
It went from being the books that 5 year olds learned to read on to being the topic of semester long college classes, and will continue to manifest itself in ways that are hard to predict in the years to come. Only time will tell, but if anything is certain, it is that you can never be too old for Harry.

FireboltSpell68
wand: hazel with unicorn core, ten inches, surprisingly swishy

Seeds of Greatness

made by GryffSoldier
Old September 20th, 2011, 2:17 am
First Year

Us too old? Nah, I don't believe we are.
It's not a crime to enjoy something, even if people classify the book is a "kids book". If it's something you truly enjoy, go ahead and enjoy it! No one should really have a say in what you like.

I know I'm going to continue to read the books no matter what. Even if I know the story, I never can put the books down. They're fantastic.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:28 am
First Year

The Harry Potter series is considered a classic and it's arguably the best book/series of our time. Classics, as implied by their name, never goes out of fashion no matter what century or what age you are in. Besides, “Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home” (J.K. Rowling).

Pottermore: HazelSilver
Wand: hornbeam and dragon heartstring, thirteen and three-quarter inches, solid
House: Slytherin and proud.

adfoot:
Old September 20th, 2011, 8:15 pm
First Year

No, I'm not too old!

I would also add... the older you get, the more you understand about this world, how the characters interact etc... You seem them differently. I wonder how I'll consider the books in 10 years actually

Chamber of Secrets and Pottermore
Sig by NikkyNik. Nice n' Spicy since 1991.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons -
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:10 pm
First Year

No one is ever too old for Harry Potter! They're all but classics! Hell, after christmas I'm doing a unit at university on Harry Potter! Makes a change from writing endless essays on the Brontes, Hardy, Austen, Dickens etc

It's going to be weird writing an exam on the Harry Potter books, but I think it will be quite easy

Pottermore:
RookFlight56
Slytherin
12 ½ inches, Dragon heartstring, Hazel, Slightly springy
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:18 am
First Year

Deffinitely not! Ive been a fan since I was 6 and now I'm 17 and still a huge fan! And will always be. And as the series progresses, the books and movies get MUCH darker and way more adult. Not to mention complex. I wouldn't be able to comprehend everything that went on in the last couple books if I was a young kid who read it. I still don't understand everything that happened. It kind of makes me mad how some people call it a children's series. Sure, the first book may be aimed at younger kids. But that's just because the main characters are very young. But as a whole I would deffinitely not say its a children's series. Instead, its meant for a general audience. Thats part of the reason why its so popular. It has such a huge diversity of fans! Its unlike any series. Now I don't mean to put down any series, but i will state facts. Twilight's fan base is almost all girls and mainly between the ages of 13 to 25. A Series of Unfortunate (I LOVE that series) is geared at both genders but mainly at a younger audience because the plot is simple (though interesting), written in a way that is understandable to younger audiences and the font is relatively big. I was a huge fan when I was about 10. Then there's star wars. I never saw any of the movies (except for one) so Im sorry if I get some facts wrong, i'm just going by what I know. Ya both genders like it but I would say more males do, by far. And there's Lord of the Rings. Again, I don't know much about this series. But from what I see, the majority of fans are guys and I have yet to see a really young kid who is crazy about these books. So all in all, HP is deff. NOT a kids series... it just has a huge audience. Little kids are huge fans as well as grandparents. This is what makes it most successful. Just because little kids read it, does it make it automatically a "kids" series? No. Little kids watch The Simpsons but I wouldn't consider it a childrens cartoon.

Old September 30th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Second Year

I am creeping closer to 68 everytime I come on this thread! Still loving Harry Potter and will read it forever

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:36 pm
First Year

Sometimes if I tell people I'm reading the books or I'm waiting to get on Pottermore, they give me this look like I'm crazy. Like I'm supposed to be 'over it' because I'm in my 20's. I think HP is timeless. It appeals to people across generations and that's what is so wonderful. It will stand the test of time.