Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old December 29th, 2010, 7:19 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

I've been reading them every once in a while when I feel like it...but i have read cos, ss, and gof and hbp, more than i can remember... I enjoy reading them...and i'm 18 and never been told i'm too old..my mom is 40/41 and she loves the movies...my best friend ever, like me is OBSESSED with harry potter books and movies like me!

Old December 29th, 2010, 8:27 pm
First Year

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm currently writing a paper on Harry Potter and HP fandom that I will be presenting at a conference for the English department at my university. I've also arranged to do an independent study next semester on Harry Potter with my 40 year old professor who is completely obsessed with Harry Potter. You could even say that she's an HP scholar because she's written numerous scholarly essays on it and presented them at academic conferences. So no! We are most certainly not too old! You can always learn something new from Harry Potter!

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:01 pm
Second Year

HTML Code:
No one is too old for any book. But I do think that if a person gets into their twenties and believes that HP is the greatest books ever, they need to read more (or get out more).
Goodness me! I'm 67, so I guess I must be wonderfully crazy! (and who cares? Not I!) I read as much as I am able, but Harry Potter books are right on top of my list!

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:25 pm
First Year

haha no,... i think i wrote on this thread a while ago...
school started and whenever i feel stressed out i go to harry potter, because its escapism...

i can't really see myself stop reading it in the future, either. very timeless story.

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:01 pm
First Year

I stood in line 2 hours early for the midnight release of Deathly Hallows in 2007. I had never done this before and expected more young people to be at such an event. Actually, most people were adults and many were dressed in costume. I ran into my boss, a middle age single woman with no kids. She was surprised more people from work weren't there, and considered it their loss.

Most HP fans I know "in real life" are adults, and not necessarily young enough to have grown up with the series either.

Old January 18th, 2011, 12:48 am
First Year

I think the more interesting question is why...

Old January 20th, 2011, 2:40 am
Fourth Year

"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."
— C.S. Lewis

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old April 23rd, 2011, 5:57 am
First Year

Harry Potter is a classic "good vs evil" tale.
If you admire heroes, if you value the loyalty of your closest friends, if you are willing to sacrifice for what you believe, how can you not love the Harry Potter series. You're never to old to enjoy a good story.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 1:44 pm
Second Year

I remember being at a mall sometime between 2005-2007 and the local book shop had organized an event with the local Harry Potter fan club for the release of one of the films in DVD. These kids were 13-20 and all dressed up in robes, drinking pumpkin juice and playing a quiz game. As I watched from afar I sighed and thought: "if only I was 10 years younger..." I was in my late 20's and I wanted to walked dress up and join them! It was the first time I realized I might be too old for Harry Potter.

I kept on reading the books, watching the films and with every new release I feel younger. My friends and family know now I'm a fan and they have to live with it. My sister once got me a pre-premiere ticket for one of the films and for my last birthday I took some friends (over 40) to see DH part 1. With the gift certificate they gave me I bought all the other movies in DVD.

A couple of months ago I found out that another mom from school "got infected by the HP virus" as her son started reading the books. The great thing about having someone my age to share this passion is that she loved the idea of a muggle quidditch game in the park with the kids, for example!
One is never too old to have fun and cetainly never too old to read a good book.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old April 23rd, 2011, 2:00 pm
First Year

No, we are not too old for Harry. Yes, the first two books are a bit childish, but Harry was 11/12, what else could we expect. As he gets older, the books become more and more serious. I think that each Harry Potter book has important lessons in it, lessons for those of 7 and those of 57.
People think that the books are for younger audience because of the magic, like magic is something for the kids to believe in. Magic will only leave our hearts when we are no longer loyal to it

Do you need me, like I need you?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 3:49 pm
First Year

I don't think I'll ever be to old for harry potter! It's like being to old for christmas, it just can't happen.
In fact, I'm currently trying to convince my husband to let me buy a wooden wand and a robe pattern/fabric to make a costume for the last movie, but he isn't to keen on the idea can't imagine why...

Old April 23rd, 2011, 4:43 pm
Second Year

No, I don't think so. I'm not just speaking for myself, but my mother as well. She's a fan.

My sister is the same age I was when I began reading Harry Potter, and we're loving getting her into it.

Actually, I just began the series again, and am finding things I forgot I enjoyed because they were pure magic, not because I was eleven years old.

At the same time, I watched Deathly Hallows with a friend yesterday, and realized how much it is "not a kid's movie."

Old April 24th, 2011, 2:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I started reading them in my 50s when a teenager I knew lent me his copies of the first three on the grounds that I needed to know what he was talking about. I was hooked and got all the others as they were published. A few other friends my age read them although most don't.

My 4 year old grandson has become an enthusiast since I've been letting him see extracts from the films. He especially likes the dragon & underwater tasks from GoF and is looking forward to being old enough to see the basilisk scene in CoS which I don't think appropriate just yet. (He's trying to talk me into it - "I won't be scared Grandma, you can go out of the room if you find it too scary". Not working!) However he likes me to read him extracts from the books and considering there are no pictures I think that says a lot for the excellence of JKR's writing. Books which can be shared by 4 year olds and 65 year olds have got to be something special.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old April 24th, 2011, 2:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think we will ever be too old for HP. the books are classics even though they aren't that old.

Old April 24th, 2011, 4:19 am
First Year

How can we be old for Harry Potter? There is no such thing as being old for any book I believe - if you love a book, you love it and age or experience does not have to or should make you not like these books.

Harry Potter is not just a story about Harry and his journey to destroy "He Who Must Not Be Named" but as members have stated before, is a story that has woven in many, many subplots and ultimately, lessons.

Peer pressure.
Bullying.
Others views on you (Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon are clear victims of this thought)
Courage.
Love.
Friendship.
Honesty.
Struggle.
Good/Bad.
Learning.
Living life.
Moving on.
How past affects present.

There are so many more themes that can be listed.

And if a book can include so many, so many themes, that of course people of EVERY AGE are going to love this book.

J.K. Rowling did not become lucky. She worked hard for these books. She is a skilled writer. No book can ever be adored to bits without a reason.

Anyway, the point of this, is no matter what age 8 or 100, everyone can love a book and never, ever, ever become too old for it.

Old April 28th, 2011, 5:10 pm
First Year

Never too old!

Old April 28th, 2011, 6:27 pm
Second Year

There is no such thing as too old when it comes to the realms of imagination. I am 22 years old and am still very much so in love with all things Disney, for instance. My first trip to Disney was when I was 9 months old..been there 28 times since. Harry Potter lets people believe in the sense of being able to believe and imagine. Much do cartoons, fairytales, etc. If we are told we are too old to believe in things unknown, unseen, or completely imaginitive, then where in the world is there need for dreams, creativity, escape, and the desire to believe at all in anything?

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:34 pm
First Year

I just seen the title and withh no further ado...

You are never to old for Harry Potter.

Old April 29th, 2011, 4:07 am
Second Year

I am only 14 so by all means I am not too old to enjoy HP nor do I believe anybody is too old to enjoy any book.

YewSpirit36 is waiting for Pottermore
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:09 pm
First Year

Brings up anouther question... are people to young for Harry Potter. My cousen is 6 likes Harry Potter though never understands it or can get glued to it. xD

Call me Jade ;; Signature by me
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak