Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old September 14th, 2007, 11:21 pm
First Year

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Has any older readers been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !

Last edited by MollyWheezes; September 16th, 2007 at 8:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:38 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter ?

Yup!

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:41 am
Fourth Year

No one is too old for Harry Potter.

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:42 am
Rex's Mummy

I'm not even over 16, and I've been told I'm too old for HP!!! I've been told that it's just a kids book, and is so predictable, and that it's not really all that complex, and that before each book comes out, Jo has to re-build her fanbase, because most of the people who liked it grew up and moved on. However, all of this was said to me by someone who didn't know what a fan I really am, and it took everything I had not to go into full blown fan mode on them. But I completely agree. I don't think there is an age limit on these books, and anyone who says there is probably hasn't actually read them.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:42 am
Secret Keeper

So isn't, but I'm only twelve, who cares, and besides, there are two swear words in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so, not really a childrens book.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:43 am
Animaga terpsichore

Of course I have, but I just tell them, "Read the book for yourself and you will understand why I like it so much." I got one of my best friends to read the books. She used to say that Harry Potter was childish. She's now on book 5 and she loves them.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyWheezes View Post
Has anyone over the age of 16 been told that they are too old to read Harry Potter ? I am 36 and and have read everything about harry and co about 10 times. Most of my friends think i need to get a life, but i cant help it, i am obsessed . I think HP has no age limit . To me it is escapisam and also these books are the only ones my kids have actually been eager to read. They are so well written any age can enjoy them. If they get people reading instead of watching television,that is not a bad thing ? Dont you agree !
"Get a life"? What does that even mean? It's like a stock phrase that's applied to anyone others see as inferior. Because reading is so wrong...
In any case, no one has told me I'm too old for Harry Potter. Considering I have already read stuff like The Iliad and The Prince I think I can make an informed decision about what I like. And these books are not for children. Torture, bigotry, tyranny, murder and spiritual perversion. A right old bedtime story if ever I heard one.
"Get a life"? They say that to you? Not only ignorant but deeply hurtful. You need to set them straight.

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:47 am
Second Year

I have been told that also and simply reply, "So I'm a child at heart, but I've you read the books I'm sure you'll change your mind, I'll let you borrow my books if you'd like"
I'm 56

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:51 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
And these books are not for children. Torture, bigotry, tyranny, murder and spiritual perversion. A right old bedtime story if ever I heard one.
Alright lets not get carried away now. You're making it sound a lot worse than it is..

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:58 am
Second Year

Um...no, I'm not. It really is that bad.

Old September 15th, 2007, 1:01 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Um...no, I'm not. It really is that bad.
It is getting a bit carried away. No one would be reading the books if that was all it is about.

Old September 15th, 2007, 1:06 am
First Year

I'm 23 and don't really discuss harry potter to anyone unless I know they are a fellow fan. Most people where I'm from would call you names for reading the books.

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:11 am
First Year

No one would be too old to read HP. Actually I always think that people at different ages will draw different conclusions, and have different understandings on it.
But no matter how old we are, we all enjoy it

"Albus Severus...you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:13 am
Second Year

ive started reading when i was 6 and now im 13 it took me 7 yrs and in those 7yrs no one said it was a kids book to me though some teachers did and said we should read stuff our grade level but never our age and yeah i agree with u frances0122

"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing doesn't it?"
send a owl and be my friend!!
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJkeep View Post
It is getting a bit carried away. No one would be reading the books if that was all it is about.
I never said the books were all about that. But people judge the target audience of a book based on its content do they not? And in the Deathly Hallows, the first chapter no less, Voldemort kills a character and then invites his pet snake to devour the corpse. There are show trials based on blood purity. Fenrir Greyback makes some rather lurid comments.
No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book. And thus, the argument that any of us could be "too old" to enjoy reading the series is groundless, offensive, narrow-minded and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.

Old September 15th, 2007, 1:15 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

Well, I'll be 48 next month and I think they're wonderful. I have several friends (ages 41, 43, 61) and my little sister (age 42) who love the books and read them avidly. In almost all cases we got these books (and our obsession) from our children bringing them home. Two of the people mentioned are published writers who know well written when they read it.

Who says an old dog can't learn young tricks for the youngsters!

If someone really is that interested in what I read and wishes to judge it without reading the books themselves, perhaps it is not "I" who needs a life.

One of the perks of being of the "older" set is most of us just don't care what the other people think anymore and have learned to be true to our own opinions and judgements.

For those young people who have been captured by Harry Potter...Yay! ...and for those who handed me a copy, the deepest thanks

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:17 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I never said the books were all about that. But people judge the target audience of a book based on its content do they not? And in the Deathly Hallows, the first chapter no less, Voldemort kills a character and then invites his pet snake to devour the corpse. There are show trials based on blood purity. Fenrir Greyback makes some rather lurid comments.
No, this is not all the books have to offer but my point is simply that with such grim themes and violence (Shown or implied) it cannot be considered a childrens book. And thus, the argument that any of us could be "too old" to enjoy reading the series is groundless, offensive, narrow-minded and clearly designed to provoke a reaction.
Fair play, but Jo writes it all in a way that does not make it stand out so plainly..

Old September 15th, 2007, 1:22 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

The books have grown in maturity along with the characters within. That being said, I have two 11 yr old twins that I read book 7 to and they understood it just fine. Like any book and children, parents should help determine what books are right for each child....even in children's books.

There are most certainly books they would not be given to read yet by me, but Deathly Hallows would not be one of them. Provocative? Yes...not necessarily a bad thing as long as there is guidance and discussion ...especially if parents are getting involved in that. It can be a very healthy thing.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:26 am
Fifth Year

No, I've never been told I'm too old. I know many adults (aunts and uncles, bosses, teachers) who also read HP; and it's nice to discuss it with them.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old September 15th, 2007, 1:35 am
Second Year

It's been hinted at... but I've been reading HP since I was 13; I grew up with the series! I wasn't going to just stop reading now was I?!?!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak