Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

College and Universities

Old October 9th, 2011, 3:35 pm
Fourth Year

Re: College and Universities

very pretty!

I live near the University of York which was built in the 1960's.......

It's not as pretty as Hull, though...

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2011, 3:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
very pretty!

I live near the University of York which was built in the 1960's.......

It's not as pretty as Hull, though...
Ooh I've been to York uni; it's nice. I think my sister's thinking of going there.

Pottermore:
RookFlight56
Slytherin
12 ˝ inches, Dragon heartstring, Hazel, Slightly springy
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:49 pm
First Year

I'm a second year law student at UWL. Uni of West London [earling]

Old January 6th, 2012, 10:13 pm
First Year

Not in uni yet but I think i want to do classics

Old January 7th, 2012, 7:44 pm
First Year

I'm not applying until next year, but I'm torn between maths and physics. I like maths more, but I worry about getting stuck in the dead-end, mind-numbing office job. I loath the idea of 9 to 5 in a cubicle. I'm leaning towards physics because of that. Physics is maths-dense and mentally stimulating.

"You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid - we know we're called Gred and Forge."
Old January 7th, 2012, 8:20 pm
First Year

I graduated from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA (USA). Majored in music therapy and minored in psychology.

Old April 11th, 2012, 2:36 am
First Year

I'm graduating from the University of Connecticut in May with a degree in ecology and evolutionary biology, and in the fall I start my master's in biology at Villanova University.

I suppose I would
-Dispatch
Old April 11th, 2012, 3:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Why do all high school students have to go to college right after graduating from H.S.? Wouldn't it be better if they took some time off to either work or travel? Then they could go to college when they were a little older?

Old April 12th, 2012, 2:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Why do all high school students have to go to college right after graduating from H.S.? Wouldn't it be better if they took some time off to either work or travel? Then they could go to college when they were a little older?
When I was graduating high school I was extremely excited to go away to college, as were all of my friends. If I wanted to wait a little before going to college that would have meant continuing to work in the coffee shop that I worked in throughout my high school years and continuing to live with my parents full time, neither of which seemed even remotely appealing. I definitely didn't have enough money to go traveling.

Plus, I loved biology and studying the environment (that statement is a huge understatement). I couldn't wait to get to college and start studying my life passion, and start it as soon as possible. Not to mention, with a major in the sciences it was really helpful for me to be fresh out of high school where I still remembered the math, chemistry, and physics classes that I took in high school since I had to take them all again in college. I've talked to other science majors that took a couple of years off after high school and they all told me they seriously struggled in those classes when they went back to school.

I think for some people that don't know yet what they want to do, taking a year or two off before going to college is helpful to "find yourself" and figure out what you want to do. However, there's still always that looming problem of how difficult it is to make yourself go back to school after you've stopped.

I suppose I would
-Dispatch
Old May 4th, 2012, 5:16 am
First Year

I graduated from James Madison University with a degree in health sciences; and then from Old Dominion University with a degree in public health?

Old May 8th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Second Year

I'm enrolled at the University of Applied Sciences Vienna, I'm going for a Corporate Communications bachelor's degree - 2nd semester now.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old May 22nd, 2012, 7:27 pm
Third Year

I'm applying to University in October for English Literature BA, I will applying to these:

1. Oxford
2. Durham
3. Exeter
4. York
5. Leeds (fingers crossed for one of the top 3, but I'd be glad with any)

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:09 am
First Year

So, last time I posted in this forum (a year ago) I thought I had everything planned out, but funny what can change in a year!

I'm attending California State University in my hometown in the Fall and my major is Communications (back to what I had planned in high school) with an emphasis in PR.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Old July 21st, 2012, 8:29 pm
First Year

I'm currently enrolled at Emporia State University, my major being Ecology and Biodiversity. I'm also going to minor in Spanish language.

I know they don't seem like they relate at all, but there's a specific reason I'm minor in Spanish. xD

Old July 25th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprdgecko View Post
I'm majoring in Secondary Education - Math. I'm a sophomore now and I can't wait to graduate.
A lot has changed since I posted this!

I decided that teaching isn't for me during my second semester of sophomore year. I think I always knew that deep down, but I stayed with it because I didn't know what else I would do.

I'm a shy person, not assertive, so an office job would fit me well. I'm now majoring in Accounting. It still deals with numbers, which is good because I've always enjoyed math. It's also a very in-demand profession and pays well, which isn't bad either.

My senior year starts in about a month! I'm very excited to be done. I may go to grad school at some point in time if I want to get my CPA, but right now I'm getting burned out with studying and homework. Plus, to even take the CPA exam I'd need at least a year of work experience, and some employers pay for you to take it the first time. So, I'm better off waiting, I think, especially since I'm not 100% sure I'd want to become a CPA anyway.

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Old July 26th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Agree with what deepprpl21 said but would put a lot of emphasis on the fact that as an 18 year old you're not likely to have a whole lot of money to go traveling with, I know I didn't. I went on a study abroad in college and that was the entire reason I had to take out student loans; I could have paid for tuition from a college fund from my grandparents and working like mad over the summers and break but I was bound and determined to do this study abroad program that cost me about $7,000 extra that term.

Also, knowing what I know now about how much travel costs, even cheap hostel-staying, grocery-store-eating kind of traveling. Plane tickets, train tickets, hostels/hotels, food, admission costs to sights you want to see, rental cars for places off the beaten track, bike rentals, souveniers, plus all the unforseen costs if something goes wrong... Traveling is expensive. My last vacation, minus the cost of airfare, was 16 days long and cost me in the area of $3,000 - and I was only paying for the hostels and the excursions, my sister was covering food and travel.

There was no way I was depleating my college fund to take a year off and travel if I knew I'd have to come home, take out four years of tuition loans and be charged interest on those loans. No way.

Also, as deepprpl21 said, once you're out of the habit of going to school it's very hard to get back in the swing of things. It takes a lot of focus and motivation to go from willy-nilly "let's head off to Zurich today!" to "biology at 8am, world history at 10 then an hour break but then it's writing composition at noon, then I can go to the library and do the reading for world history before geography at 4pm..."

It also depends on your major; I had a really intense major that required me being on campus virtually every day of the week for four years. I didn't want to put it off, I wanted to dive in and start tackling the mountain of work I had to do.

Old July 26th, 2012, 9:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepprpl21 View Post
I think for some people that don't know yet what they want to do, taking a year or two off before going to college is helpful to "find yourself" and figure out what you want to do. However, there's still always that looming problem of how difficult it is to make yourself go back to school after you've stopped.
I agree, I have taken a year off since graduating high school. Part of the reason was to decide on what I want to major in, and to find the right school. Where I went to, did not have a school with the major I wanted. I felt pressured to find a college while I was in my senior year because everyone else had a school picked out. I realized if I just settled for a college, I wouldn't be happy and it would be a waste of money and time. I have moved and will be starting college next month. I have a feeling it will be hard for to get into the swing of getting back into a specific schedule.

Last edited by 1BellaLestrange; July 26th, 2012 at 9:34 pm.
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:25 am
First Year

I graduated high school six years ago, and in that time I've spent most of it as a "Bachelor of Arts" student at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in BC, Canada. For the vast majority of my BA career, I was a history major, but I also dabbled in English, math, creative writing and psychology.

In just over a month from now I'll be starting a new degree in engineering at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Quite the change and move, I know, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Old August 8th, 2012, 9:10 pm
First Year

I'm currently studying history at the University of Glasgow in Scotland.

I admit, part of the reason I wanted to study there was because the main building looked a bit like Hogwarts

I really like it there, I'm in my second year, having started there straight after high school when I was 17.

Glasgow's always been one of my favourite cities. I only live about 20 miles away so I can still live at home with my mum and dad and travel in, and save up to move into my own place once I've finished my course.

"I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books.

But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

J.K. Rowling

Old August 9th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenMuggle View Post
I admit, part of the reason I wanted to study there was because the main building looked a bit like Hogwarts
I'm only at the University of Leeds because when I was flicking through the prospectus, there was a picture of the library that looks like Hogwarts. Now I'm there, I don't even use that library, but we do have a Great Hall I've only been in there once, though, and that was at an Open Day.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall