Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11



View Poll Results: What is Snape's greatest strength?
his ability to love 62 34.83%
his intellect 74 41.57%
his humour 27 15.17%
his ability to quickly adapt to changes 43 24.16%
his single-mindedness 30 16.85%
his bravery 88 49.44%
I don't see Snape having any particular strengths. 13 7.30%
You didn't list my favourite option. You're on Snape's radar now. 23 12.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old April 28th, 2009, 1:39 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I would think he'd be appalled that Petunia would do such a thing, but in hindsight would believe it not too surprising. Despite the fact that his overall views on Muggles changed, I don't think his opinion of Petunia changed one jot.
If so, Snape would be behaving like the biggest hypocrite in town, imo, and I truly don't say that to be mean or anything. But surely some of the things he had done - and would do, like encouraging Draco to set the Snake against him and whipping Harry across the face with that dark curse were equal to, if not worse than Harry sitting in a tree while a dog threatened below.

Where would Snape get off being appalled at someone else's atrocious behavior? I just don't see canon support for big hearted Snape hiding behind a mask of cruelty, because generally it was him we saw enacting it throughout the series toward Harry and other children, imo. In another example, wasn't Harry being threatened that way strikingly similar to Snape threatening Neville with the death of his frog? Snape placed terror in that child's heart the same way, imo - and showed equivalent pleasure although not laughing out loud. It is possible he felt he alone had the right to behave in an abusive manner or be the controlling figure in having others do it for him, but I think that is a more macabre interpretation of Snape, imo, and I don't feel he went that far. Besides "Trees - Petunia - Snape - harm" seems to carry a theme of its own, what with Snape having dropped the branch on Petunia when young... now Petunia carrying on the tradition...


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; April 28th, 2009 at 1:45 am.
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old April 28th, 2009, 1:47 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6144 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
I think it's very likely. The Dursleys have been abusing Harry for years, and it just happens to be this year that the Order does this? Can't be coincidence. While I doubt Severus would suggest the meeting, his information and possible expressions of indignation could have given Dumbledore the idea.
I think the reason no one knew until Occlumency is that Harry has been trained from childhood not to be a complainer. But as he gets older, Harry tried to tell Dumbledore a few times. In GoF, when Hagrid is upset over the Rita Skeeter stories about his family life, Harry says something but Dumbledore turns it into his famous Aberforth Goat Joke. He must believe Harry is just trying to make Hagrid feel better, and doesn't take it seriously at that point.

Really, Hagrid, if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time," said Dumbledore, now peering sternly over his half-moon spectacles. "Not a week has passed since I became headmaster of this school when I haven't had at least one owl complaining about the way I run it. But what should I do? Barricade myself in my study and refuse to talk to anybody?"
"Yeh — yeh're not half-giant!" said Hagrid croakily.
"Hagrid, look what I've got for relatives!" Harry said furiously. "Look at the Dursleys!"
"An excellent point," said Professor Dumbledore. "My own brother, Aberforth, was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat. It was all over the papers, but did Aberforth hide? No, he did not! He held his head high and went about his business as usual Of course, I'm not entirely sure he can read, so that may not have been bravery. .. ."


Also, at the end of OotP, Harry tells Dumbledore that he felt that Petunia never gave a damn about him, which would confirm whatever Snape had said about the memories he saw over and over during Occlumency. Plus Dumbledore mentions that Harry was not as "well-fed" as he had expected when he first came to Hogwarts. That makes sense - he didn't expect Petunia to starve Harry, since she can obviously cook well enough to shovel food into Vernon and Dudders. I think JKR put all that in there to show that it is preying on Dumbledore's mind that the Dursleys had mistreated Harry, but he only discovered that because of Occlumency, in my opinion.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #63  
Old April 28th, 2009, 2:01 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Also, at the end of OotP, Harry tells Dumbledore that he felt that Petunia never gave a damn about him, which would confirm whatever Snape had said about the memories he saw over and over during Occlumency. Plus Dumbledore mentions that Harry was not as "well-fed" as he had expected when he first came to Hogwarts. That makes sense - he didn't expect Petunia to starve Harry, since she can obviously cook well enough to shovel food into Vernon and Dudders. I think JKR put all that in there to show that it is preying on Dumbledore's mind that the Dursleys had mistreated Harry, but he only discovered that because of Occlumency, in my opinion.
I think that is true, that is when Dumbledore found out (although he should have known sooner). The OOTP too which is why they confronted the Dursleys. And I think Snape did reveal what he saw. However, I don't think it was in an accusatory way, merely reporting it.

I mean, what if Petunia sent note to Hogwarts complaining that Snape was mistreating Harry? Wouldn't you feel like she had a lot of nerve doing so? As if to say Harry was her's to abuse? That is how I would feel if Snape was accusatory regarding Petunia - I think that is how Dumbledore would feel too and tell Snape once more, he disgusted him.


__________________
  #64  
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:15 am
Leslie33  Female.gif Leslie33 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5402 days
Location: Ontario Canada
Age: 49
Posts: 650
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

It has just occurred to me (which probably means everyone else got it straight away) that when Snape sees Harry's memories during the occulmency lessons he is already aquainted with Petunia.
So it makes me wonder about his question "To whom did the dog belong?"
Did he perhaps think it was Petunias dog? I'm not 100% sure on that one, I think he knew Petunia wasn't an animal lover, but wanted to get to the bottom of things and get a feel for how severe the situation really was. If the Dog was Petunia's then it would have been an immediate threat to Harry's well being. If the Dog had bitten Harry, Snape knew about the situation, but did nothing, then he's partially responsible. He may not have been able to have removed Harry from the home, but a viscious Dog, yes. Plus, if it had been Petunia's beloved poochy woochy poopsie doggie, then it would have been Snape's way of getting back at her for being abusive to Lily and saying rotten things about him. Taking her little poochy away from her would have been his way at vengeance.
And how did he feel seeing Harry's memories and knowing he was being badly treated by Petunia? Ok, I know this is a stretch, but as much as Snape hated Harry, I don't think he liked seeing him abused. So I think he would have been enraged.
Did he feel some sort of empathy for Harry as Harry did for Snape when he saw SWM? Yes, he probably felt empathy in that he knew how it felt to be abused and knowing nobody cared enough to do something. And is this the reason why that at the end of OotP the Dursleys are challenged by people from the wizarding world regarding their treatment of Harry for the first time? I never thought about that. But now that you mention it, it does make perfect sense. Even though he didn't get the credit, Snape probably was the reason for the OOTP going to the Dursleys to say "We're watching you".
Did Snape relate to Dumbledore everything that he had seen (I personally was sure he had done even before DH)? Yes. Not only as Dumbledore's Spy, but he also had that Professional obligation to report any abuse to his Superiors. Even if he hated Harry and thought he was "just like his Father", he had that duty to do his best to protect a Child under his care. Even if he didn't give a detailed, running documentary of what he saw, Dumbledore does know Occlumency and probably saw glimpses of what he saw, asked Snape questions, etc.
How do you think Snape felt on seeing those memories and did these emotions find expression when he related these scenes to Dumbledore? Rage, hatred, that he had more proof of Petunia being a M*&#lood. When I say this, I don't mean the prejudiced view that most Death Eaters felt. I mean that her attitudes and behavior smears the reputation of Muggles. She represented the worse in humans, therefore, in Snape's eyes really was a M#&*lood. I'm just basing this on what he probably experienced at home from the hands of a Muggle.
As for how he would relay the information to Dumbledore, I can imagine he'd use pretty colourful language and words to describe those pigs and not have any shame at all. They were the ultimate scum of society and he probably had no qualms about saying so.


__________________



I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
  #65  
Old April 28th, 2009, 8:25 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6144 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie
As for how he would relay the information to Dumbledore, I can imagine he'd use pretty colourful language ...
I think he did also, but I've always thought he would back it up by showing Dumbledore his thoughts in the Pensieve. He saw all of Harry's memories over and over, to the point that Harry only had to remind Snape of Dudley standing him in the toilet and he recalled it right away. I think he could just pull out the Occlumency memory and show Dumbledore.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #66  
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:38 am
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5341 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
"To whom did the dog belong?"
Did he perhaps think it was Petunias dog?
Possibly, but I think it was more that he was curious.

Quote:
And how did he feel seeing Harry's memories and knowing he was being badly treated by Petunia?
I think he was more than likely very surprised by what he saw. He probably had no idea before this as to how miserable Harry's home life with the Dursleys was.

Quote:
Did he feel some sort of empathy for Harry as Harry did for Snape when he saw SWM?
As his own childhood home was unhappy, yes, I think he did empathise with Harry at that moment.
Quote:
And is this the reason why that at the end of OotP the Dursleys are challenged by people from the wizarding world regarding their treatment of Harry for the first time?
Yes, I think so. I have thought that this was more than just a coincindence now for a long time. I imagine Severus would have reported back to Dumbledore just exactly what he had seen during the lesson, which resulted in the Dursleys being warned.
Quote:
Did Snape relate to Dumbledore everything that he had seen (I personally was sure he had done even before DH)?
Oh, I am sure he must have as Dumbledore seemed to know all about how the lessons went.



Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I think the reason no one knew until Occlumency is that Harry has been trained from childhood not to be a complainer. But as he gets older, Harry tried to tell Dumbledore a few times.
This is true, Harry doesn't complain. Although, what has always puzzled me is that other people did know about Harry's mistreatment by the Dursley's long before OotP. The Weasleys knew very early in the story, yet nothing was done about it until OotP. I'm rather surprised that Molly didn't go marching off to see Dumbledore about it much earlier.


  #67  
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:22 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6144 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet
This is true, Harry doesn't complain. Although, what has always puzzled me is that other people did know about Harry's mistreatment by the Dursley's long before OotP. The Weasleys knew very early in the story, yet nothing was done about it until OotP. I'm rather surprised that Molly didn't go marching off to see Dumbledore about it much earlier.
It is rather confusing, because Mr. Weasley notices that the Dursleys aren't saying good-bye to Harry at the beginning of GoF, but then again he is sympathetic to them because Dudley gets the ton-tongue toffee, plus he tears up their fireplace using the floo network. I'm guessing Mr. W. just thought that the Dursleys were upset even though the Twins seemed to see Dudley as a bully even then.

The other thing I don't understand is why no one questioned Harry about staying at school over the holidays, although Snape might have thought it was so Harry could still use magic. Plus Ron or Hermione are with him nearly every year. Seems as if Dumbledore should have at least asked him once or twice what the Dursleys got him for Christmas.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; April 28th, 2009 at 11:37 am.
  #68  
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:03 am
guad's Avatar
guad  Undisclosed.gif guad is offline
Mrs Grawp
 
Joined: 5414 days
Location: Rocking with BAS DÖSE
Posts: 3,618
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

A Poll! I love polls!

Elaborating on my choices: I took Intellect because I believe he's very smart but I also took "no particular strenght" because comparing to other characters he is not exceptional in the options listed.
  • Ability to love: uhm no. Lily, Harry, Fleur, Tonks, Remus and probably Molly win in that one over Snape.
  • Intellect: While very intelligent, Albus is certainly smarter than Snape. As is probably Grindelwald.
  • Ability to quickly adapt to changes: Is NOT the same thing IMO than pretending to be someone else. Snape does not quickly adapt to changes, the proof is that he never adapts to the fact that Lily is dead or that her son might not be evil incarnate despite of looking like his long dead enemy. Or the fact that he is unable to adapt to the fact that Neville might not be guilty of the death of Lily.
  • Single-mindeness: I don't understand that. If it was narrow mindeness I would have picked it lol
  • Bravery: Well, he is brave but IMO not braver than Neville, Moody, Albus, Harry, Lily, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Hagrid and many others.

Greatest strenghts I missed in the list: Occlumency. He is without a doubt the most talented wizard in that particular area of the whole series.


__________________

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!


BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
  #69  
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:07 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4566 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
[*]Ability to love: uhm no. Lily, Harry, Fleur, Tonks, Remus and probably Molly win in that one over Snape.
Although the Snarky One is one of my favourite characters ... I would have to agree with that assessment.

Quote:
[*]Intellect: While very intelligent, Albus is certainly smarter than Snape. As is probably Grindelwald.
I'm not getting into this one.

Quote:
[*]Ability to quickly adapt to changes: Is NOT the same thing IMO than pretending to be someone else. Snape does not quickly adapt to changes, the proof is that he never adapts to the fact that Lily is dead or that her son might not be evil incarnate despite of looking like his long dead enemy. Or the fact that he is unable to adapt to the fact that Neville might not be guilty of the death of Lily.
I agree with that to some extent: certainly as far as Snape's emotional limitations go. In his professional capacity as a spy, I do think he was probably very flexible. Dumbledore certainly expected an awful lot of him.

Quote:
[*]Single-mindeness: I don't understand that. If it was narrow mindeness I would have picked it lol
I picked that and will stick with it.

Quote:
Greatest strengths I missed in the list: Occlumency. He is without a doubt the most talented wizard in that particular area of the whole series.


__________________
  #70  
Old April 28th, 2009, 2:13 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 5235 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 37
Posts: 6,435
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

I'm in two minds about it. If you asked him, I'm certain he'd deny it, and he'd be sincere, because I don't think he would ever admit to himself that he may want or need Harry's forgiveness. And maybe he really didn't want it or need it. But I believe he would have been grateful to receive it, because the greatest regret of his life would have had some sort of closure.

What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

Something snarky, I suppose.

Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

I wouldn't touch him. He's great because he was written this way.

What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?

I liek to think he would have been able to live a peaceful life, free of guilt and remorse. Maybe he would have written his memoirs!

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Yes, with most of it, I do, but not all of it. I think statements like "he loathed Harry until his dying breath" may simplify the character. I don't think loathing precludes care, but this statement ahs made many fans disregard the intriguing possibility that Severus cared about Harry, genuinely, and that would be such a rich addition to his complexity.


  #71  
Old April 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Yes, with most of it, I do, but not all of it. I think statements like "he loathed Harry until his dying breath" may simplify the character. I don't think loathing precludes care, but this statement ahs made many fans disregard the intriguing possibility that Severus cared about Harry, genuinely, and that would be such a rich addition to his complexity.
But to cop her a break, every character was a tool for Harry in the end - so while it may have added more complexity for Snape's character for some, it would have taken away from Harry's. Since he was the point of the series, everyone else's feelings, etc., had to bow to Harry's character creation, imo.

In a way, I don't really see it as a factor adding complexity as much as leaving it a mystery would just avail of a different way of looking at things. But one is still left with interesting questions raised by a character who would hate Harry unfairly to his death. A lot of talk has been achieved relative to emotional and mental reasons. But an interesting aspect might be to look at it from a physical aspect. Meaning actions and behavior rather than words and feelings. With Snape, one can do that with respect to his relationship with many other characters from an analysis standpoint.

For example, Snape going to #12 and his interaction with Sirius alone there. Snape walked in with a 'lord of the manor' demeanor and carried on with arrogance and his behavior demeaning - not his words, mind, but his physical behavior as described. Switch to Dark Lord Arising and you have Snape sitting at the DE table with a similar arrogant stance, his behavior again described as demaning, imo. But in the latter case, one is aware that he is playing it careful due to his role as a spy; in the former is he playing it cool to pretend he is? Or is that his normal physical self-image being reflected?


__________________
  #72  
Old April 28th, 2009, 2:56 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5848 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Out of the traits listed in the poll, without comparing Snape to other characters, I'd have to pick intellect as being his greatest strength. He was incredibly talented in Occlumency as guad mentioned, and also, he was an exemplary at potions. Additionally, as shown by his protection of the Stone, Snape was quite apt at logic puzzles. And finally, despite their dark nature, he was able to create a number of new spells as a student.

After intellect, I'd say Snape's second greatest strength was bravery. With his role as a double agent, he certainly faced a great amount of danger constantly. Any act to defy/betray Voldemort qualifies as being very brave in my book, considering what Voldemort would do to anyone he caught defying/betraying him.

Regarding the other traits listed, I do think Snape was single-minded in his ultimate reason for turning against Voldemort (ie to avenge Lily/atone for his hand in her death). But I'd classify this trait as a source of strength for the character, rather than a character strength. Regarding his ability to love (without comparing Snape to other characters), I would not place this as being one of Snape's particular strengths. His ability to love was pretty much confined to one person, and IMO I'm not sure "love" is what I'd call what he felt for her. In his ability to adapt to changes, I'd agree with what guad said about him not being able to adapt very well to Lily's death, Harry's difference from his father, and also his inability to let go of his grudge toward the Marauders. But in terms of adapting quickly to a magical attack, I'm sure he was quite competent. As for his humor, Snape would have been great as an insult comic.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
  #73  
Old April 28th, 2009, 3:18 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6144 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
His ability to love was pretty much confined to one person, and IMO I'm not sure "love" is what I'd call what he felt for her.
In terms of the book and not even thinking about love in the real world or love from any other characters, Harry and Dumbledore seem to accept that Snape's love was his only motivation for doing what he did. It's one of those things that Voldemort didn't understand - the "power he knows not" and the "flaw in the plan." So, in my opinion, and in terms just of the way things are stated at the end of Deathly Hallows, if Snape had felt something besides real love for Lily that whole speech from Harry would lose alot of it's punch and strength, imo. Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #74  
Old April 28th, 2009, 3:35 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4566 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Yes, with most of it, I do, but not all of it. I think statements like "he loathed Harry until his dying breath" may simplify the character. I don't think loathing precludes care, but this statement has made many fans disregard the intriguing possibility that Severus cared about Harry, genuinely, and that would be such a rich addition to his complexity.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
But to cop her a break, every character was a tool for Harry in the end - so while it may have added more complexity for Snape's character for some, it would have taken away from Harry's. Since he was the point of the series, everyone else's feelings, etc., had to bow to Harry's character creation, imo.
I'm not seeing how a more 'sympathetic' Snape, for want of a better term, or even a more 'complex' Snape, would have detracted in any way from either the Harry-centric POV of the series or Harry himself as the central protagonist.

You have pointed out many times, Wick, that you find it hard to understand why Harry would have forgiven Snape and honoured him by calling his second son after him, or why JKR obviously feels that is a satisfactory conclusion to the Harry/Snape storyline.

Surely the depiction of a more 'sympathetic' Snape might have helped to achieve that closure for you, personally, and maybe other readers as well.


__________________
  #75  
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:19 pm
OldMotherCrow's Avatar
OldMotherCrow  Female.gif OldMotherCrow is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4239 days
Location: Here. I'm pretty sure of it.
Posts: 1,297
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

I voted for single-mindedness. I think it was the thing that made Dumbledore trust in his loyalty so much. Once Snape determined on a course, he would stick through it, unless something catastrophically major shook him off of it. It allowed Snape to stay focused. It was also one of his greatest weaknesses, too, in my opinion, since he didn't care much for that without his narrow field of vision, and he clung to old grudges and behaviors well past their time.


  #76  
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:21 pm
CathyWeasley's Avatar
CathyWeasley  Female.gif CathyWeasley is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5373 days
Location: ...erm...
Age: 54
Posts: 2,455
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwb
But to cop her a break, every character was a tool for Harry in the end - so while it may have added more complexity for Snape's character for some, it would have taken away from Harry's. Since he was the point of the series, everyone else's feelings, etc., had to bow to Harry's character creation, imo.
I disagree that a writer has to make all the other characters "tools" for the hero. That may be so in plot-driven stories and to a degree HP is plot driven but I wouldn't say that it was plot driven to the extent that the other characters are merely tools for Harry. Snape is a particularly well-rounded character and IMO is very far from being Harry's tool. Snape behaves in a way that is true to the character Jo Rowling created not in a way that suits the plot or the hero. I would even go so far as to say that Snape is probably the most rounded character after Harry, which is probably why so many people want to discuss him.

I also don't understand what you mean by a "more sympathetic Snape". I happen to beleive that Snape did come to care for Harry subconsciously. That does not make him a more sympathetic character nor does it change his behaviour to Harry throughout the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP
Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.
Well said!


__________________




Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.


Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending


Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!

Last edited by CathyWeasley; April 28th, 2009 at 4:25 pm.
  #77  
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:33 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4566 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
I also don't understand what you mean by a "more sympathetic Snape". I happen to beleive that Snape did come to care for Harry subconsciously. That does not make him a more sympathetic character nor does it change his behaviour to Harry throughout the series.
Actually, "a more sympathetic Snape" was my phrase, Cathy, I don't believe Wicked used the phrase at all ... I was simply responding to something he said and then expanding on it.


__________________
  #78  
Old April 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
I disagree that a writer has to make all the other characters "tools" for the hero. That may be so in plot-driven stories and to a degree HP is plot driven but I wouldn't say that it was plot driven to the extent that the other characters are merely tools for Harry. Snape is a particularly well-rounded character and IMO is very far from being Harry's tool. Snape behaves in a way that is true to the character Jo Rowling created not in a way that suits the plot or the hero. I would even go so far as to say that Snape is probably the most rounded character after Harry, which is probably why so many people want to discuss him.
Well I don't know what you mean by tool. I mean that all of the characters, were created for Harry's story, imo. The fact that Snape continued to hate Harry, according to JKR, is about Snape's feelings about Harry. And confirmation of that fact affirmed that Harry's subsequent forgiveness of Snape was very grandiose, imo. That is all I meant. Otherwise it would not be important what Snape thought of Harry...I mean, what did Moody think of Harry? Who knows - it wouldn't matter to Harry's story so it was not revealed and no one asks....

Quote:
I also don't understand what you mean by a "more sympathetic Snape". I happen to beleive that Snape did come to care for Harry subconsciously. That does not make him a more sympathetic character nor does it change his behaviour to Harry throughout the series.
I am not sure what you are referring to. In any case, I would disagree that Snape came to care for Harry, subconsciously or otherwise, so we'd just have to agree to disagree on that. I mean I don't think Draco even came to consider Harry in those terms, and he was at least civil to Harry, something Snape never was throughout the series, imo. So I feel JKR's contention was backed up by the canon.


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; April 28th, 2009 at 7:05 pm.
  #79  
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:06 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4795 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
In terms of the book and not even thinking about love in the real world or love from any other characters, Harry and Dumbledore seem to accept that Snape's love was his only motivation for doing what he did. It's one of those things that Voldemort didn't understand - the "power he knows not" and the "flaw in the plan." So, in my opinion, and in terms just of the way things are stated at the end of Deathly Hallows, if Snape had felt something besides real love for Lily that whole speech from Harry would lose alot of it's punch and strength, imo. Harry says that Snape loved Lily since they were children and that Voldemort just couldn't understand, which is the way Snape fooled him for years. So for me, yes that is a huge strength and something that kept Snape going when he could have walked away. He didn't stay around for Harry just because of Dumbledore - to me, it had to be because he really cared about Lily. Or why not just go to the Bahamas and let Voldemort have Harry? In my opinion, that's the point of the line about "Lily's boy" in Prince's Tale. He didn't do all that just to see Harry die, but because he wanted Lily's boy to live.


I think Dumbledore meant the love being studied in the Dept. of Mysteries, the kind that makes the world go around was the love that Snape had; something that made him change from inside.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #80  
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:35 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6144 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post


I think Dumbledore meant the love being studied in the Dept. of Mysteries, the kind that makes the world go around was the love that Snape had; something that made him change from inside.
You're right, TGW! I forgot that Dumbledore said it that way!

Here's the quote:

"There is a room in the Department of Mysteries that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all."

Now technically, Dumbledore doesn't say that Snape "possessed love in great quantities." However, in reading the Prince's Tale we learn that the only thing that really changed Snape was his love for Lily that went beyond death.

Then Harry says in DH:

Chapter 36
The Flaw In The Plan

“Severus Snape wasn’t yours,” said Harry. “Snape was Dumbledore’s, Dumbledore’s from the moment you started hunting down my mother. And you never realized it, because of the thing you can’t understand. You never saw Snape cast a Patronus, did you, Riddle?”

Voldemort did not answer. They continued to circle each other like wolves about to tear each other apart.

“Snape’s Patronus was a doe,” said Harry, “the same as my mother’s, because he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time when they were children. You should have realized,” he said as he saw Voldemort’s nostrils flare, “he asked you to spare her life, didn’t he?”

“He desired her, that was all,” sneered Voldemort, “but when she had gone, he agreed that there were other women, and of purer blood, worthier of him ---“

“Of course he told you that,” said Harry, “but he was Dumbledore’s spy from the moment you threatened her, and he’s been working against you ever since! Dumbledore was already dying when Snape finished him!”

So in my opinion, Harry believes that Snape's love wasn't any different than any other true love in the books, and that his motivation was a good one. He is looking at the big picture there - the same Snape that loved Lily also stood up to Voldemort.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; April 29th, 2009 at 5:56 am.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, severus snape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:59 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.