Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Hunger Games

Old June 8th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Finally finished Mockingjay tonight. I have to say I'm disappointed in the way it ended. I thought it was cruel how Collins put the blame on Gale for Prim's death, and then to have him leave and be gone just like that. Katniss never forgiving him...
I think a lot of people were unhappy with the ending because they're used to the all tied up with a nice little bow endings of series. Like HP - All was well.

But I think that's what I admire about Collins. The whole time you're reading Mockingjay you're hoping for that happy ending. You're thinking how is she going to get this to work? How are the love birds going to live happily ever after.

But we all forget she's writing about war. Katniss was used and abused by everyone. Gale was just as power hungry as Snow or Coin and he was just as creative as the Gamemakers.

I think it's up to each person to judge if he was right or wrong in developing the weapons he did. He didn't intend for them to be used on Prim, but he did intend them to be used on other innocent people - he just didn't anticipate that Coin would put Prim on the front lines.

What I love about the series is that Collins shows throughout every chapter of every book how her characters are manipulating and being manipulated and how little free will there is in the world of Panem. You think Katniss is surviving then someone puts up a roadblock like a wall of fire in the area, an electrified fence in Catching Fire or a hijacked Peeta. You get to the end and you're like 'yay Katniss and Gale have almost made it' but they're still AT WAR and we forget that until poor Prim shows up.

The books needed that to have the final consequence that it did, otherwise, we'd have in Coin what we had in Snow.

For me it was very brave of her not to have an 'all is well' ending. Because if you could imagine living in that world - nothing would be well. It would take years and years of healing for things to be set right again. So Katniss couldn't say goodbye to Gale and Gale wouldn't have expected her to. And for all the very good he did for her, he got caught up in the 'games' himself, which was his downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
I specifically didn't read Mockingjay because of all the negative reviews I read. I knew this series didn't really have a chance of ending completely happily ever after, but man, did it have to be so depressing?? So, now that I see, once again, that Gale of all people was made into some sort of villian does not fly with me. I fell in love with Gale when I read Hunger Games because of how much he cared and looked out for Katniss. For him to leave...I don't know.
Well, if you read Mockingjay you may find that Collins didn't paint him as a villain. He just turned out to be just as manipulated as Katniss was. He thought he was in control of what he was doing and while he was fighting for the greater good, he was also not seeing clearly who was leading him.

I thought Mockingjay was really good. It was unconventional for sure. Depressing? A bit, but at the very, very end she leaves us with healing and that is all you can hope for in a war-like situation.

Old June 8th, 2011, 8:50 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I'm not all for a happy endings in books, in fact, that's kind of what this ending felt like. Katniss ended up with Peeta, like lovingbooks said, because he was there. This way it's like Katniss didn't have to choose between the two and it wouldn't be hurting the other. It's like she used her grief for Prim so she wouldn't have to bother with Gale, because she couldn't bare to look at him. I'd have preferred it if she'd ended up with neither, but she ended up with Peeta and children, which she doubted she wouldn't be able to do before.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 9th, 2011, 4:45 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315
I'd have preferred it if she'd ended up with neither, but she ended up with Peeta and children, which she doubted she wouldn't be able to do before.
I think she doubted it before mostly because of Snow being the one who'd arranged everything for them, so that she wouldn't be able to have a say in anything, not even whether she really likes Peeta or not. I think she hated the decision because she didn't know how she felt about it, because she couldn't judge for herself, if she was going to make the same decision on her own or if she'd have chosen differently.

I think her grief over Prim was very understandable. She went twice through the Games because she loved her and wanted to protect her from the same fate hundreds of other children had to face, only to have her killed by her best friend.

I also don't think Collins 'used' Katniss' grief to put Gale out of the way, . It's been shown throughout Mockingjay that Katniss disapproved of Gale's strategies and voiced her objections. He didn't seem to share her feelings towards the people trapped inside that mountain in District 2, he wanted them all dead - he didn't give much thought if they were innocent or not. What I mean to say that is that the 'disagreement' went back much earlier than Prim's death.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old June 13th, 2011, 8:34 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Finally finished Mockingjay tonight. I have to say I'm disappointed in the way it ended. I thought it was cruel how Collins put the blame on Gale for Prim's death, and then to have him leave and be gone just like that. Katniss never forgiving him...

Sorry for my random jumping in here.

I had a tough time with mockingjay initially as well. It took me months to get thru whereas hunger games and catching fire I finished in a few days. I thought the pacing was uneven and there were a lot of parts where katniss is essentially just wandering around in a daze. I remember waiting for the pace to pick up like it was in the prior 2 books, and finally feeling somwhat gratified when I got to the last 100 pages and the flight thru the capitol.

Unfortunately,the climax initally left me incredibly disappointed and sad on so many levels.

1. I actually expected Katniss to make it to the mansion and kill snow. The fact that she didn't make it and ended up getting burned instead made the whole mission and all those deaths seem so futile. Finnick, etc. may have been alive if they turned back right after Boggs died.

2. I hated the way Finnick's death was treated like an afterthought. I was so shocked at how quick and callous that death was described in the book. Rue's death had so much more emotional impact. I understand that Suzanne was trying to illustrate how quick and meaningless death can be during war, but this was just gut wrenching in how casual it seemed.

3. As many have discussed, I felt the resolution of the love triangle was sorely lacking. I really expected a better reunion between Peeta and Katniss with some actual dialogue. I was surprised that it seemed like Katniss ended up with Peeta by default (since Gale never came back and knew they could never get past what happened to Prim.) I guess I was hoping for something more emotionally satisifying rather than the lackluster few sentences we got at the end of the book especially since their scenes in the prior 2 books were written so beautifully.

4. It was tough to be in Katniss' psyche by the end of the book. She seemed so broken and an empty shell of her former self. She didn't seem to care abou t anything, and that may be why the love triangle was such an afterthought. I think she was left so numb by all the pain she endured and the loss of Prim, that she didn't have much left emotionally to try and restore her friendship with Gale or to really give her love over to Peeta.

However, now that it has been some time since I read it and I have had time to process it, I am not quite as disappointed as I was initially. I understand that Collins was aiming for a more realistic ending and tried to demonstrate how truly damaging war is. It was just so depressing. I just didn't expect that from a YA series. I remember thinking if I wanted to read about the horrors of war and post-traumatic stress disorder I would have just picked up an adult war novel. I literally had to reread the hunger games again just to remind myself why I enjoyed this series to begin with.

I definitely preferred the way the HP series ended. Harry had gone thru a war as well and experienced so much death and loss, but he was still able to survive, persevere, and find joy in life with his friends and his new family. With Katniss, it was almost like she was emotionally dead by the end of the series and barely hanging onto her sanity.

Old June 14th, 2011, 1:51 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post

I definitely preferred the way the HP series ended. Harry had gone thru a war as well and experienced so much death and loss, but he was still able to survive, persevere, and find joy in life with his friends and his new family. With Katniss, it was almost like she was emotionally dead by the end of the series and barely hanging onto her sanity.
I preferred this ending in the long run. I may have not appreciated as I read it, but once the story settled with me I found myself more appreciating the end. It was more realistic to the impacts of war. I thought Collins handled this really well.

Old June 14th, 2011, 7:31 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks1177 View Post
I preferred this ending in the long run. I may have not appreciated as I read it, but once the story settled with me I found myself more appreciating the end. It was more realistic to the impacts of war. I thought Collins handled this really well.
I liked both endings, myself. I think the term of war differed in HP and the Hunger Games. That's why the outcome was different in both cases. The war in HP was not as destructive as in HG. Perhaps more people died in HP, but no cities were destructed or brought down on their people. In HP it was a certain group of people who were targeted, in HG whole cities were destructed because of the actions of a little number of people.
It's true Harry had lost many people he loved dearly, and I'm sure he had a difficult time overcoming their deaths. In Katniss' case however, she lost everything she could call home; her family, her district, her best friend, everybody she knew as a child with the exception of the few people who happened to be out of D12 when it was bombed. I think Katniss had a great deal to cope up with, it wasn't just a matter of the death of people she loved, but everything that counted as comfort for her.

Old June 16th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Registered Animagus

http://www.hypable.com/hunger-games/...-film-release/

Quote:
With this in mind, Scholastic will be publishing a movie tie-in version of The Hunger Games, a Collector’s Edition, and two entirely new books that sound VERY interesting!

Here’s a breakdown:
- The Hunger Games Collector’s Edition will be released in November and include a slipcase that features new mockingjay art. It will be priced at $29.99.
- The Hunger Games Movie Tie-In will be just the original book but the cover will be replaced by a poster for the film. It will cost $12.99.
- The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion will sell for $18.99 and we’re guessing it will follow closely the idea of The Twilight Saga Official Illustrated Movie Guides. You can see one of them here to get an idea of what The Hunger Games companion may be like. It will be released in February.
- The World of The Hunger Games is the second new book and at this time there are no details (other than price: $17.99), but this sounds like a sort of encyclopedia to us. It too will be released in February.
More on the link.

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
I find them hard to compare. In HP Harry has no life before Hogwarts. He's lonely and not quite happy, with no real family or friends. He's nice and good and obeys the Dursleys, but there is no real sense of 'when I'm out of here, I'm going to...' there is no looking towards the future.

With HG you have a main character who is proactive and inventive and helping her family survive. She loves her family, has a very close friend and aside from the whole starvation thing, she is fairly content with life.

So when Katniss gets pulled into a warlike situation against her will, she's merely surviving to the best of her ability.

When Harry jumps into the fray, he's doing it whole-heartedly. He wants to fight, he wants to make change, he wants to save the wizarding world.

Katniss - she's being manipulated to fit everyone else's plan.

This is why Katniss ends up being a shell of a person, while Harry is happy - fully happy - for once. Meaning to say that Katniss starts moderately happy and ends moderately happy, while Harry starts out lonely and ends up surrounded by love. Different struggles, different outcomes.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 7:10 pm
First Year

I really enjoyed this series. I find Katniss a likeable protagonist, I didn't like Johanna at first but she grew on me in the third book. They are really the types of books that make you read them fast, like a few days. I just hope they do a good job with the film, Jennifer Lawrence looks the part of Katniss, but I'm not sure about the guys who play Gale and Peeta.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:46 am
Second Year

Yeah, I can see that. However, if you look up interviews of Josh Hutcherson (Peeta), you can see why they picked him for the part. He's mesmerizing. When he talks, you want to listen - and that's Peeta's talent. I don't think he exactly looks the part, but I think he's a very subtle actor and he will do well.

Liam (Gale), on the other hand.. Does not look the part and I don't get the Gale feel around him, although I have to admit that I haven't seen him act. I believe he had a fairly big role in a Miley Cyrus movie, but I haven't seen that.

Some pictures came out last week, among then a picture of Peeta standing, covered in flour, before the bakery, holding burnt bread. Ooooh that moment <3

I hope they'll do a midnight showing of this movie - I'd be there!

Old August 6th, 2011, 5:04 pm
First Year

I love the first book. The third book was disappointing.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 2:01 am
First Year

I was referred to this series last summer but was not able to start it until last fall. The series is set in a post-apocolyptic world where the Capitol sends people (ages 12-18) from the districts to fight to the death I began reading the books at the store and had to wait a couple of weeks each to buy them or finish them. I was able to buy the Hunger Games and Mockingjay but had to read Catching Fire at the store over three weeks. My favorite book had to be Catching Fire. All of the plot twists in that kicked everything up a notch. If you haven't read this series I suggest you that you do read this series. Some things to note are that the writing style is in 1st person I believe. The first page was jarring but by the end of the chapter I was hooked. Most of the characters are extremely likable but don't get too attached to them. Katniss the main protagonist is a good heroine. Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, Cinna, President Snow, Rue are all awesome and those are only some of the characters from the first book. This series is heavy on the plot twists and making things worse. So pretty much you think things are bad now, you haven't seen anything yet

Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:18 am
Sixth Year

I finally read this series this summer.

I loved the first book. The second I enjoyed. The third was overwhelmingly disappointing

To start off positive - Collins had a great idea. She had a unique setting, interesting characters and character dynamics, and most of all - an intriguing idea. I was hooked within a few pages. I wanted to know more about the Districts. What was this Reaping? And are the Hunger Games what it sounds like? All in all, Collins had something that could've been great.

However, I had several problems with the series. I don't want to come off as if I'm bashing the series - I'm not and that's not my intention. I really did enjoy the series as a whole, but if I am to be truly honest, then I should also post my thoughts about a few other things.

One big thing is Collins' writing style. The writing feels lazy most of the time. Not just her prose, but writing method. A lot of things in the books felt rushed, as if Collins' was too lazy to expound on her ideas. Not to mention that it feels like Collins' tells more than she shows. She doesn't really let the reader "experience" many events. Some examples are the Victory Tour and Harvest Festival. Both events felt like they had been built up - I felt anticipation as Collins builds up these events (and this goes for other events too), then disapointment when Collins' summarizes these events in just a few paragraphs

Spoiler: show
Just like the sub-plot of the mysterious District 13. Collins' builds it up, then it feels like she says "oh yeah, guess what, it's actually real. Let's go visit it." Then that's it.

And what about the backdrop of the other 12 Districts? The possibilities were endless with the setting alone. Another thing that I felt Collins' could of expanded on.

The plot is great at first, but fails to follow through.

Another thing was the character development of a few characters - namely Prim and Rue. I felt underwhelmed when Prim's name is drawn. I also felt like I was supposed to be surprised, but I hardly knew a lot about Prim, so the moment wasn't as dramatic as I felt it was supposed to be.

The same goes for Rue. I only knew her for a few chapters, then she was given an extremely emotional death. I honestly didn't feel much for her character when she died. I was sad because I liked her character. But then she's killed off before I can really get to know her, and then it feels like we're supposed to react to her death too. But Collins didn't give Rue enough page time for me to have the reaction that Collins' expected.

Many aspects of the books had the potential to be so much more, but I felt like Collins' was too lazy to expand them or too lazy to take her book elements to the next level.

As for the climax and ending...? Finnick's death is casual. It was almost like it was mentioned in passing.

What about Prim's senseless death, then Gale being blamed for it?

Then the epilogue felt like it was tacked on: "And Peeta and Katniss got married and had 2 kids. Oh, and Katniss is still having some emotional problems. The end."

In short, I felt like the last book doesn't live up to the expectation that Collins sets after book 1. She set up a great idea, but just didn't follow through, IMHO. These are just a few of the major problems I had with the series.

A disappointing ending to a series that had A LOT more potential.

I will say that I am looking forward to the first movie, since that was my favorite book.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:23 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might
Both events felt like they had been built up - I felt anticipation as Collins builds up these events (and this goes for other events too), then disapointment when Collins' summarizes these events in just a few paragraphs
Summerising most of the events was probably the main reason I didn't like Mocking Jay like the other two. As someone had mentioned on the review thread, Katniss seemed to faint at all the exciting moments, and then we get a short account of what had happened, . Collins can write good action scenes, I wonder why she went for that fainting thing in the last book.

Mockingjay is probably my least favourite, too, (for quite different reasons, though, I'm okay with everything you put in your last spoiler, ), with Catching Fire being my most favourite.

Quote:
Just like the sub-plot of the mysterious District 13. Collins' builds it up, then it feels like she says "oh yeah, guess what, it's actually real. Let's go visit it." Then that's it.
Now that you mention it, I think it's actually the way Collins casually introduces the idea about District 13 still being out there, that made me over look that possibility, that it might actually exist and will be the setting for the whole following book!

Quote:
The same goes for Rue. I only knew her for a few chapters, then she was given an extremely emotional death. I honestly didn't feel much for her character when she died. I was sad because I liked her character. But then she's killed off before I can really get to know her, and then it feels like we're supposed to react to her death too. But Collins didn't give Rue enough page time for me to have the reaction that Collins' expected.
I'm afraid I have to disagree here. I don't think the reader (as I see it) has to react to Rue's death as a person, (or Prim's being chosen for the Games as a character). It's the concept we're supposed to react to. There's an eleven-years-old girl, who is taken away from her family, and sent to fight until her death, in other words she is sent in order to be killed, she has no chance, and if she does, that chance means having her kill several children of her age. By putting through Rue's death, Collins isn't casually showing the death of a character, but subtly showing what has been going on for seventy five years. It makes the reader think how many families have had their children killed, and in what gruesome ways, and that it is time to say enough! Which is what happens in the following books.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
Some pictures came out last week, among then a picture of Peeta standing, covered in flour, before the bakery, holding burnt bread. Ooooh that moment <3

I hope they'll do a midnight showing of this movie - I'd be there!
Come chat with us in the Hunger Games 2012 (movie) thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
One big thing is Collins' writing style. The writing feels lazy most of the time. Not just her prose, but writing method. A lot of things in the books felt rushed, as if Collins' was too lazy to expound on her ideas. Not to mention that it feels like Collins' tells more than she shows. She doesn't really let the reader "experience" many events. Some examples are the Victory Tour and Harvest Festival. Both events felt like they had been built up - I felt anticipation as Collins builds up these events (and this goes for other events too), then disapointment when Collins' summarizes these events in just a few paragraphs
I think using the First Person writing style did get her into problems as the story went on. If Katniss couldn't see it, we didn't experience it. I think Collins had a good idea using First Person so that we could see the war and the Games first hand. But as the story grew more complicated, she had to schlep Katniss here and there just so we could learn what was going on.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:11 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I think using the First Person writing style did get her into problems as the story went on. If Katniss couldn't see it, we didn't experience it. I think Collins had a good idea using First Person so that we could see the war and the Games first hand. But as the story grew more complicated, she had to schlep Katniss here and there just so we could learn what was going on.
Definitely this. I love the idea of 1st person because it's fun to read the experience as if we're experiencing it first hand, but it definitely became a bit of a problem by limiting Collins' on how she wrote certain scenes.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Last edited by magic_is_might; August 23rd, 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:44 pm
First Year

My mom actually introduced me to this series. I picked it up at the beginning of the year but didn't get past the first chapter. She was explaining things to me, about the concept and the battle scenes, and it seemed interesting but I just put it down one day and forgot about it. I picked it up again a few months later and I literally read all 3 books back to back within like 2 weeks. I really enjoyed it and I'm really excited about the movie. It's gonna be like a family day for my mom and I when it htis theatre's next year lol! Anyway, I loved the detailing, and the katniss-peeta-gale love triangle as well as the connection between katniss and rue. I loved rue's death scene; I definetly think that was a pivotal moment in the book, especially for the rebels. I also found it interesting how peeta would sometimes inadvertently put katniss on the spot; it's kinda like she always found a way to challenge snow even if she wasn't the one pulling any strings. Kinda like Harry Potter in a sense because Harry always found what he needed in order to defeat voldermort even if he wasn't pulling any strings. But I did think it was sad, at one point, that katniss used peeta and the whole 'we're a couple' thing during the games. Yeah, they have to fight to the death, but peeta was actually quite serious about it which put them both in an awkward position, especially katniss since she kinda knew at times that he was being real. The surprise twist with her sister prim being killed was good, but I didn't like the surprise twist when peeta announced that katniss was pregnant. I felt like it didn't go anywhere. There was nothing leading up to it, and the effect it had was gone as soon as you finished reading it. Like, the scene with prim being blown up, katniss and her companions were actually in this major climactic battle scene. So it worked out fine. But sometimes, the katniss vs. snow conflict, the katniss-peeta relationship and the whole mockingjay ordeal was just thrown at you just to make the story progress. I felt Collins could've done better with that at certain parts of the book.

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Second Year

Am I the only person in the world who didn't like it?

I've only read the 1st one so far, and I was shocked at how predictable it turned out to be. From the many ecstatic reviews that I read beforehand, I was hoping for, and frankly expecting, some sort of thrilling climax. Okay, so the 100 or so pages of frantic survival were gripping. But I feel like Collins sidestepped the thing that could've made the book's end really epic- Katniss having to kill Peeta and win the games... or else.

Speaking of Peeta, he seemed quite thick and useless. I hated the whole 'fake romance' thing- too confusing, and it made them both look like idiots.

A final word on the subject: I can understand the comparisions to Harry Potter in the sense of popularity and good reviews. But Harry Potter has something that The Hunger Games lacks, at least from what I've read so far. It has an underlying theme that's strongly proven- loves conquers all. What was the theme in Games? 'Let's not let this happen to us in the future, because it's gross'? And honestly, where was Katniss' heart in all this? Okay, she's a jerk. So's Harry, at times. But the thing is, no matter how grouchy Harry can be, he'd sacrifice himself for his friends without even thinking of it. He was willing to walk to his death surely and calmly, wasn't he? Because it meant saving the people he loved, and even some people he didn't love. I did not get that sense from either Peeta or Katniss.

Anyhow, I'll still read the 2nd and 3rd books, in hopes that they'll... I don't know, stun me with their surprising twists?

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old September 12th, 2011, 7:34 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Speaking of Peeta, he seemed quite thick and useless. I hated the whole 'fake romance' thing- too confusing, and it made them both look like idiots.
But it wasn't fake, at least not from Peeta's point of view.

I'd recommend reading the other two books. For me, it's the series of all 3 that makes the Hunger Games interesting as a whole. I thought the first book was exciting to read, of course it's not the greatest story every told--but it has a hook and it is fairly fast pace which made it a winner for me. I blew threw all three books in four days, that's how curious I was to see how the whole thing resolved.

Old September 12th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
I loved this series, and I hated Peeta. I mean I guess I can buy the fact that in a very down trodden community you wouldn't necessarily express your feelings to another person in any direct way. I just felt like he was just such a dud at times. Then again, the fact that Katniss had to compromise her own survival skills to take care of another person was interesting. She is pretty ruthless (which I loved about her) and it wasn't because she loved him that she went and saved him, it was so much about saving face.

Quote:
A final word on the subject: I can understand the comparisions to Harry Potter in the sense of popularity and good reviews. But Harry Potter has something that The Hunger Games lacks, at least from what I've read so far. It has an underlying theme that's strongly proven- loves conquers all. What was the theme in Games? 'Let's not let this happen to us in the future, because it's gross'?
The Hunger Games is definitely no Harry Potter. I will say that over and over again. But I love books about dysfunctional societies, so this was right up my alley. Also because after someone touted Twilight as the next HP (which it was the anti-HP if you ask me) I thought that Hunger Games was finally something worthy of talking about and promoting.

I'm also the kind of person who wonders what kind of people want to be on reality TV shows - they voluntarily go on shows where they suffer in many ways, are humiliated, are made to act in ways they normally wouldn't.

THG sort of plays on that where the Capitol loves watching, but they don't see the other side of it - that kids are forced to be their entertainment.

I was watching "Dance Moms" and "Toddlers and Tiaras" the other day. It made me sick the way the moms are trying to generate - who knows what - fame??? money??? through their kids. And I'm sitting here watching it! The whole thing is so perverse, and I think that is one thing THG is trying to highlight in our current society.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction