Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The "F" word- are you offended by it?

Old April 10th, 2006, 8:31 am
Seventh Year

Re: M-13 - The "F" word- are you offended by it?

I wonder, would teens curse as much as they do now if their parents didn't mind, or if it wasn't considered THAT bad...?

Old April 10th, 2006, 6:23 pm
First Year

Thats ok Zina_x0 I will forgive you.

When the next one comes out
I will pout
for there will be no tommorow

poety lives in my soul its my lifeline forever and ever
Old April 10th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerissa
offensive or not itz a powerful word. The most powerful word in english anyway.

The words love, hate and audit used to hold that distinction. Well maybe not love and hate

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old April 10th, 2006, 6:44 pm
Second Year

It all depends on the context and how someone says it. When a comedian is saying it, it's very differet to someone intentionally abusing you using it.

"There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor."

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminky
Thats ok Zina_x0 I will forgive you.
Thanks!

I definitely think there's a time and place for swearing, as Slytherngoddess said. I do swear on occasion, but I don't want my younger siblings or cousins to hear it, so its not a part of my vocabulary normally, that way it won't slip. I have teachers who swear and they're fine with it, as long as we're not cussing them out. I mean, I guess I could say "F--- you " to my history teacher as a joke and he would laugh it off, but if I said it to say, my biology teacher, I would be suspended. Not that I would though, I like them .

Old April 10th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Fourth Year

Hmmm....well, I'd have to say I'm pretty immune to the 'f' word, I hear it almost all the time, but I still think it can be very offensive if used in a way to hurt someone. Though it hasn't ever really been directed at me in such a serious manner, I can imagine that it would hurt to hear it, especially if it was coming from someone I cared about or was good friends with. I guess it really depends on the situation I'm in. I do not agree with young children saying it though, as others have mentioned previously. I find that to be very offensive and think parents should do something to stop their children from saying it.

Dumbledore's Man Through and Through

Old April 12th, 2006, 5:23 pm
Second Year

Personally I don't get that offended by the "f" word. Probably mainly because I tend to use it quite a lot myself. For example I'll say something like "Oh my gods, that movie was funny as f***!" However if someone was trying to insult me and called me a "f***ing b****" for example, then yea, I think I'd be offended.

In general I don't get offended by most "swear" words. Apart from maybe the "c" word that is one word that I really do hate.

Click Here
MySpazz Me, Baby!

Winky: *up on table in kitchen* I'm--hic!--a little peatot....stort and...shout....*collapses*
Dobby: Winky is drunk again...*drags her off again*"
Thanks to Shadow_Thestral! ^_^
Seriously Funny Pants! Sorry, thread.
Old April 12th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Second Year

I have no problem with it myself, as long as it is not in front of young children. That's disrespectful.

I say it all the time when alone, it can be a great release! It sounds strange perhaps, but when I'm stressed, I get a greater release from shouting the f word to myself than from shouting a less offensive word. I'm not sure why, maybe because its just more taboo.

However, I would only ever use it when insulting someone if they had done something really offensive. Having said that, it's a pretty poor word to use when insulting someone, as it doesn't exactly show intelligent wit on your behalf!

I agree with lady a, the c word angers me too, because it has so many nasty connotations. I think the connotations of the f word are less harsh. That's just what I think. What do others think?

Last edited by LilMissVoldie; April 12th, 2006 at 9:20 pm.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:57 pm
Fifth Year

I'm generally not offended by the 'F' word. However, as LilMissVoldie said, it is a problem when said in front of young children. That always bothers me. Although I don't really care if others around me use it I don't tend to use it myself. I don't really know why that is! I suppose it is just so...unnecessary.

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:06 am
Second Year

Yea, I agree with that.....I wouldn't say it in front of young kids....I don't agree with swearing in general around young children, because they pick it up and probably wouldn't understand that some people are offended by it.

Click Here
MySpazz Me, Baby!

Winky: *up on table in kitchen* I'm--hic!--a little peatot....stort and...shout....*collapses*
Dobby: Winky is drunk again...*drags her off again*"
Thanks to Shadow_Thestral! ^_^
Seriously Funny Pants! Sorry, thread.
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Second Year

Not much "offended" by it as I find annoying

Old April 18th, 2006, 5:12 am
Third Year

My 11 year old grandson recently asked about the word. Apparently some of his piers are using it. He thought God would object but I told him it wasn't to do with God, or religion or morals. Some words are "pretty" words because of the way they sound or roll off the tongue. Others aren't but get used because people either have a small vocabulary or just want to say something shocking to others or they hear it so much it becomes just a bad habit. I'm not really offended by it but it lowers my respect for the person using it.

If the Government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have.
Old April 18th, 2006, 5:22 am
Fourth Year

As long as it isn't used, like, in a way just to seem cool, then I actually have no problem with it.
Like, the way some people use it in my school is, like, "What the *f* are you talking about?", but not in an angry tone. They just use it to..."enhance"...their sentence.
I find it rather annoying.

Fersure bomb
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Fifth Year

I don't really have a problem with swear words, like many here. It's usually used to emphasise a point or similiar. But if it's used as an insult, then it's a horse of a different colour. Then again, in saying that, I rarely if ever use it, except when on my own and get annoyed at the computer
I'll, however, always have a problem with the "f" word, coz I was taught as a small kid that it was a sinful word, and God gets offended by it. And you know what little kids are like-inherently obedient and look up to their parents/parental figures

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old April 18th, 2006, 10:54 pm
First Year

i dont generally have a problem with the "f" word or other swears for that matter as i do it alot myself - really bad habbit. but what really annoys me is when someone is saying it as every second word. so its f... this and f... that. that is really annoying and gets on my nerves. aswell as people who swear openly infront of young children and dont appoligise and try to stop after the first time! that is my rant over with..... *sigh*

Old April 24th, 2006, 5:20 am
Second Year

I dont have a problem with other people using it but I never use it myself (I say fudge instead. lol.)

~QuiBbl3~
Old April 24th, 2006, 2:57 pm
First Year

the f-word is just another word and it only has offensive or vulgar meaning because we as a society gave it that. there really is no power behind it except what we give it. on the switch side, we could decide not to be offended by it anymore, but then we loose a word that is meant to express anger and shock or anger the other person.

personally it does depend on the context. most of the time when it is said even when someone says f-you, it's in a playful tone. but i do get upset when someone says it like they mean it, not because of the word but the feeling and emotion behind it. my mom always told me growing up that it's not what you say, but how you say it. listening to people who use it just about every word, i see those people as ignorant. one of my friends was told not to use the f-word because she says it dumbs down society, makes you sound unintelligent, and is only used by people because they don't know a better one to use. i usually catch myself using it only when i'm around other people who use it, though i'm told i swear a lot. but that's just because i don't consider sh!t, cr@p, b!tch, or even d@mn swearing. i use sh!t a lot.

Old April 24th, 2006, 4:24 pm
First Year

hello everybody!
about the "F" word i don't think i'm effected by it at all because i just here it so often that it really doesn't matter. i keep hearing it at school , in my bus ,in songs espeacially those by eminem.and it has become such a common word .

Old April 24th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Third Year

Yes, I do.
For a while as an older teen I worked as a hospital domestic for a sumer job, the language I heard was awful, but the one thing I did notice was that the people had who used swearing as part of every sentence had very little vocabulary, and the more foul language they used, the less able they were to describe things with different adjectives.It was always the same terminology.

Old April 24th, 2006, 11:41 pm
First Year

I'm not really offended by it at all. It's not a word a use very often infact I never use it around my parents or little kids or authority figures. I only say it around my friends and usually, I am just joking with them when I say it.

Then I, said well that's the one thing we've got

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives