Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old January 29th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Third Year

Re: Do you prefer the books or the films?

I prefer the books, they give more information to the reader than one of the movies.
And when you read the books you can create in your mind an own image on how you personally think the characters look like...

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2007, 6:14 am
Second Year

The books!!! There would be no movies without the books...and nothing can replace the books.

Old January 30th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Fourth Year

The books. You get a more in depth story with the books than you can with the movies. If a movie tried to do this, you'd be stuck in a theatre for hours and hours....which would make it uncomfertable.

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Third Year

As much as I love the movies and enjoy watching them, the books are by far my favorite. With the books there is so much more left up to the imagination whereas with the movies you are left with what the film makers imagined a certain piece to be. I honestly feel sorry for young people, like my nephew, who love Harry Potter but are not yet old enough to read the books. They will take what the film makers imagined as their imagination for certain parts of the books. This is not necessarily a bad thing but I do think that children who are not able to imagine things for themselves will lose their imaginations quicker than what people my age did.

"Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself."
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
"You don't know what life is all about until you glide across the ice"

I make signatures send me an owl if you want one.

Forum Rules | Signature Content Poicy | Search Engine Tutorial | Search
Old January 31st, 2007, 1:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear02 View Post
As much as I love the movies and enjoy watching them, the books are by far my favorite. With the books there is so much more left up to the imagination whereas with the movies you are left with what the film makers imagined a certain piece to be. I honestly feel sorry for young people, like my nephew, who love Harry Potter but are not yet old enough to read the books. They will take what the film makers imagined as their imagination for certain parts of the books. This is not necessarily a bad thing but I do think that children who are not able to imagine things for themselves will lose their imaginations quicker than what people my age did.
This is exactly the reason why I prefer the books to the films! My sister at one point said that she didn't have to read the book because she had seen the film, and as much as I tried to tell her the books are far better than the films, she wouldn't listen to me. Eventually I managed to get her to read Goblet of Fire (before the film came out), and now she's just as obsessed with the books as I am. I personally prefer to imagine all of the scenes and the way people look in my head rather than having a film maker tell me how they look.

I ship RL/SB and I'm proud of it!
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:10 pm
Second Year

I loved the books, and in the movie the fight scenes are awesome and so is the underwater scene. However, I think that the books are a hundred times better, because they take out to much from the movies. And I think if J.K Rowling would have wantedto have that taken out then she wouldn't have put in the book in the first place. But the movies were highly entertaining

Old February 2nd, 2007, 3:17 am
First Year

The books definitely. While there are some scenes that are really cool to see on the big screen, the movies just leave out so much.

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, I am a Slytherin after all...
Old February 2nd, 2007, 3:31 am
First Year

The books are most definitely better. I like seeing the great special effects in the movies, though (the Marauder's map was one of my favorites). I like most of the actors in the movies - I actually picture them as I read or listen to the audiobooks.

The Inner Eye....was fixed upon matters well outside the mundane rrrrealms of whooping voices.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 3:37 am
Third Year

The Books are better i think because its more interesting and fun to read and they let your imagination take over!...thats one of the reasons i became such a big fan of the HP books because theirs just notting else like them!...But it is really awesome to see the movies and watch your favorite moments come to life!

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 6:37 am
Curse Breaker

The books, definitely...although as I read, I see a movie in my head anyway!

I'm glad the movies are being made as well, but if I had to choose only one, it would be books, hands down.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old February 2nd, 2007, 6:40 am
Second Year

The books becuase that's really the movie in your head. I love the movies as well, but the books give more information and imagination to your reading.

The Forum Rules
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:51 pm
Third Year

Books. Definatly the books. The movies are just to see the books come alive.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 7:57 pm
Second Year

The books! They give so much more insight into Harry's world.

Best part is.... No left out scenes!

<3
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:46 pm
First Year

The books. I do love the films but they do annoy me because they always seem to leave out or change my favourite parts! Even though POA is my favourite from the films it's nothing compared to the book. I do appreciate the films though because they've given faces to all of the characters. I must say though, I am mucho looking forward to OOTP.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:50 pm
Second Year

The books! Absolutely no question about it - the movies are fairly good, but they could never, ever compare to the books in my mind.

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:36 am
Third Year

As much as I love the films they don't even come close to comparing to the books. The movies are a hollow shell by comparison. Still love the films though, but the books take you to another world like nothing else.

Old February 4th, 2007, 9:58 am
Fifth Year

Yes to the books. The movies are good, but so much is left out of them. I showed my mum Azkaban, and as she had never read to books, (she has now) asked me, how Black knew how to find Wormtail at Hogwarts when that information was simply deleted.
The books rule, but I'll be sad when I've finished DH, as there won't be any more!

Old February 4th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Third Year

In my heart, the movies will always pale in comparison to the superiority of the books.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

If you spoil, the badgerpuffs will get you and then proceed to take over the world
Old February 4th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Member of the Order

I don't recall a single film I ever thought was better than the book, although Lord of the Rings came pretty close. The Harry Potter films are entertaining stuff, but the books are infinitely better - no contest!

Old February 4th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I don't recall a single film I ever thought was better than the book, although Lord of the Rings came pretty close. The Harry Potter films are entertaining stuff, but the books are infinitely better - no contest!
Very right...and it is because the Movies can't provide as much details as the books can...the movies have to fill in as many plots as they can in the time slot of 2-3 hrs whereas the books have hundreds of pages to build upon them...so there can't be a fair comparison between the two. Therefore it is going to be the books that dominate rather than Movies...although Movies can serve as fuel for making the books popular.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies