Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old January 24th, 2011, 9:48 pm
First Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

i LOVED the chess scene - for me it was brilliant.
I also liked the detail at the Quidditch World Cup, and how the Irish and the Bulgarians did their little routines to introduce themselves Like the Irish making a Leprechaun in the sky out of sparks, and Bulgarians crashing through it and doing tricks on their brooms ;D

I also liked the Buckbeak scene - even though I kind of cringed when Harry went "WOOOO!" over and over while gliding over the water... LOL its just because his voice kind of broke and went too high and I was like "OMG shhhh!"

I liked the Boggart class scene with Lupin - was really exciting!

Also in PoA, the part where Ron shows Harry and Hermione where Sirius is standing behind the door, looking really ragged and... well, murderish, then I could really connect with the character more than with the books. I do like the books as they are incredibly detailed, but watching the whole story unfolding and coming to life right on your own telly screen is amazing

LOL I loved in HBP when it's like..

Hagrid *drunk* - Poof!
Slughorn *drunk* - Poof!
Harry *not wanting to be left out* ......Poof?

Lily loves James
Harry loves Ginny
Fred loves Angelina
Hermione loves Ron

and now,
Draco loves Pheobe.
Check out my story, coming soon! <3
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Third Year

I liked the obliviate scene in the begining of DH1. It was just so much better then just hearing about it from her. It wouldn't have worked out in the book, but it was a great way to do it in the movie. A great, emotional scene

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:21 pm
First Year

The books will always be better but I think some of the added scenes and the actors/actresses bringing the books to life is also great. How many of your favorite books get turned into movies?

I think in the movies some scenes that I like better are the fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort in OotP and like others have said, I like when Voldemort posseses Harry because its more emotional and I love the line that Voldemort say's at the end, "You're a fool, Harry Potter, and you will lose... everything." I just love that line! One of my favorites.

I also like the scene in HBP when Hagrid is drunk and he, Slughorn, and Harry all say, "Poof." That was funny. One last scene I like in the new DH1 movie is the dance between Harry and Hermione, I don't know why but I just love that, I think it was beautiful yet rightly akward at the same time.

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
— Thomas Jefferson

Proud Ravenclaw!
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I like how Harry is surprised when he walked into the tent and said " I love magic" and I also loved when he first walked into the Burrow. I guess he might have been expecting a bigger place because there was a large number of Weasleys, but when he saw the magical clock and the dishes washing themselves and the knitting needles going, he realised that you don't really need a big place.

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:27 pm
First Year

One that really sticks out in my mind from Deathly Hallows isn't necessarily a scene, but a detail. When Hermione is tortured, the carving of Mudblood into her arm. It's so...cruel, and yet fits in perfectly well with Bellatrix as a character.

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

that scene bothered me. I know Bellatrix was crazy, but I didn't think she would stoop that low.

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
that scene bothered me. I know Bellatrix was crazy, but I didn't think she would stoop that low.
To me, it's very low. But that just shows the prejudice that the world has with Voldemort taking over (and Bellatrix directly shows that prejudice when she carves that into Hermione's arm). It's ties in well with the "Magic is Might" statue at the ministry smushing the muggles. It's all equally disturbing and gets the point across IMO at least.

Old January 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Bella was perfectly happy to torture Ginny, in OotP, when Harry and the DA contingent were caught by the DEs. She was practically champing at the bit to do so. So I don't find that piece of movie sadism the least bit OOC for Bella; she tortured Hermione into unconsciousness in the book, after all. She's not only crazy, she's cruel.

Anyway, things I like more in the films -- this is easy. I prefer Julie Walters' Molly to the Molly of the books. Julie is a wonderful actress, whose career goes back decades, and I find her Molly warmer and less annoying than Canon Molly.

Old January 28th, 2011, 7:27 am
Second Year

I enjoyed the first and third tasks in the GoF movies more so than I did in the books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Bella was perfectly happy to torture Ginny, in OotP, when Harry and the DA contingent were caught by the DEs. She was practically champing at the bit to do so. So I don't find that piece of movie sadism the least bit OOC for Bella; she tortured Hermione into unconsciousness in the book, after all. She's not only crazy, she's cruel.
Bellatrix subjects Neville to the Cruciatus Curse in OotP (pp 800-801), not Ginny.

Old January 29th, 2011, 12:58 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Anyway, things I like more in the films -- this is easy. I prefer Julie Walters' Molly to the Molly of the books. Julie is a wonderful actress, whose career goes back decades, and I find her Molly warmer and less annoying than Canon Molly.
Yes. Movie Molly is just so awesome. I love the way she says stuff. "BIG BOX for Ron." its so cute! Her whole face smiles when she does.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old January 29th, 2011, 1:37 am
Banned

I like that Sirius calls Harry "James" right before he dies...it's sad, though.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 9:34 am
Second Year

Parts that were better in the movies than in the books.

Basilisk scene in the Chamber-COS

The scene in the books is pretty great also, but i liked how it felt like more of a chase with harry hiding in part of the chamber then returning to the main part and having the Basilisk pop up out of the water. Very cool scene.

Dumbledore vs Voldemort-OOTP. This is probably due to me seeing it happen instead of just reading it. both are amung my favorite parts of each series.

Locket scene in DH- it was much bigger than i imagined. I thought the projections of Harry and Hermione would look like the genie did in Aladdin with a full upper body but as you went lower the body would look like it was coming from the locket. nothing more than that. but this was much bigger and seemed to take up the whole area, it felt much grander watching it on screen. Much better than how I imagined it.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:26 am
First Year

Re: Parts that were better in the movies than in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post

Locket scene in DH- it was much bigger than i imagined. I thought the projections of Harry and Hermione would look like the genie did in Aladdin with a full upper body but as you went lower the body would look like it was coming from the locket. nothing more than that. but this was much bigger and seemed to take up the whole area, it felt much grander watching it on screen. Much better than how I imagined it.
Totally. They really seemed to build on the books description and make it even more horrifying and threatening. The spiders crawling towards Ron was a very nice addition. That is one of the best scenes in the entire movie series, IMO.

Old April 6th, 2011, 7:48 am
First Year

My preferences lean in most cases towards the books. What I enjoyed about the films were the moments that Harry's perspective either could not have seen or would not have deemed important. It makes it "extra-canonical" without contradicting book canon. For example, Harry concentrating on properly approaching Buckbeak could not have seen or noticed anyone behind him, such as Hermione grasping Ron in an awkward moment in PoA. Or the hug... no wait... just a handshake in CoS. Or Ron misinterpreting Hermione's suggestion to move closer. I like these little film moments that are subtle, but highly suggestive of what's going on outside of the book's limited perspective.

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:09 pm
Second Year

In no particular order, these are some parts I can think of.
  • I really love the scene between Dumbledore and Harry at the end of the first movie. Maybe this is because I adored Richard Harris in that role and any screen time with him is magic, but I thought it perfectly defined their relationship. "Alas, earwax."
  • After seeing the first and most recent films, I can appreciate the Diagon Alley scene in PS a lot more because it shows the stark constrast between normalcy and Voldemort's return. It's also our first proper glimpse into the wizarding world so I think they did that really well.
  • In the first film, when Dumbledore yells, "SILENCE!" It's just a perfect portrayal of someone with power, as he doesn't run around screaming, (like Michael Gambon... grrr.)
  • I agree with you all, the Dementors are pretty good. I think they should have made them a little taller but as a whole, it's one of the best things they did with the movies. Especially in Part 1 when they are all swirling above Umbridge's patronus, that's pretty creepy.
  • In my opinion, they portrayed Cedric's death and Voldemorts re-birth brilliantly. I think it's one of the most powerful parts in the Harry Potter film franchise. They don't normally do the death's justice but when his Dad starts crying over him, it's heart breaking.
  • They captured the Atrium perfectly.
  • I know a lot of people say they didn't get her right but to me, Umbridge was brilliant. She was spot on, with her little 'hm hm' and her poddling walk. The fifth is one of my favourite HP movies, mostly because of her and the DA scenes, which are also pretty good.
  • I adore how they portray Filch. He adds humour to the story, because you just have to laugh at him.
  • "You dare use my own spells against me? Yes, I'm the Half-Blood Prince." - Putting aside that Alan Rickman's voice is heaven, this was incredibly powerful. Especially as before I read the end of Deathly Hallows, I always watched it with a shocked expression because it was the point where we thought... yes! Snape IS bad.
  • I'm one of the people who actually quite liked the dance scene between Harry and Hermione. I didn't think it was sexual at all, more awkward because of the stress going on in their lives. A real show of their friendship. Obviously I would have preferred if they'd put the Dursley leaving scene in instead but what can you do?
  • The battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort in the Ministry of Magic in the fifth film is one of my favourite parts of the franchise. It's so so so powerful when the glass shatters, they did that really well in my opinion. Although I don't like it when Harry gets possessed, that's a bit cheesy.
  • I like in the fourth movie when the boys are all having a laugh with those sweets that make them turn into animals, etc... It shows the normalcy in Harry's life, which we don't get to see that often.
  • The fight between Ron and Harry in the tent was heart-breaking. I'm putting this down to Rupert Grints acting.
  • The dance scene between Ron and McGonagall is probably my favourite added-in scene, it's hilarious. "Where?!"
  • I enjoyed the Boggart scene with Lupin because of the music they added to that scene, it seemed pretty fun. Although I don't get why he jumped in front of Harry AFTER seeing it was a Dementor and saying it was because he thought it would assume the shape of Lord Voldemort.
  • I prefer film Molly to book Molly, but I do love Julie Walters.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Old April 6th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Third Year

I really love the dance scene, because it showed harry actually acting on being a best friend, as opposed to going "ewww crying girls are icky!" like in the book.
it made harry more human. and to me too didn't seem sexual at all

also the added scene of ron following harry when he's trying to sneak out to hunt the horcruxes by himself. it added to Ron's character and i love it.

also all the ron/hermione moments (the piano scene, the leg in poa, the skipping stones)
because we always see things through harry's pov in regard to ron/hermione (aka bickering) it was good that ron/hermione got fleshed out more in their relationship with each other.

Old April 6th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Second Year

I really like the scene in Malfoy Manor in the movie more than the book. The part between Bellatrix and Hermione really tugged at my heart. I think it was so moving and terrifying at the same time and I LOVED Emma Watson throughout that scene. She actually brought tears to my eyes. I do love this scene in the book too, it is so clever and exciting.
I always understood the pain of calling someone a Mudblood but could never grasp it outside of Harry's point of view. However, that scene really showed me a muggleborn point of view. I loved and hated the carving of the word Mudblood in Hermione's arm; it was very true to Bella's character, it was excruciating and because I was expecting to hear crucio at some point it was so much more shocking when you actually see Hermione lying there. Her eyes are amazing, she, to me, expresses so much pain. Can't wait for part 2

Old April 8th, 2011, 7:37 pm
First Year

One of the scenes which I preferred in the movie was Hedwig's death.

In the book she just seemed helpless in her cage, but in the film she comes back to save Harry, and tragically gets caught in the crossfire.

Old April 8th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter_118 View Post
One of the scenes which I preferred in the movie was Hedwig's death.

In the book she just seemed helpless in her cage, but in the film she comes back to save Harry, and tragically gets caught in the crossfire.
I'd agree with that. Not that I liked Hedwig dying, of course but I liked the manner of her death better in the movie.

Old April 8th, 2011, 9:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_forever View Post
One that really sticks out in my mind from Deathly Hallows isn't necessarily a scene, but a detail. When Hermione is tortured, the carving of Mudblood into her arm. It's so...cruel, and yet fits in perfectly well with Bellatrix as a character.

Its also the placement on the inner left forearm that made it even more chilling for me. Having seen the number tattooed on former concentration camp inmates whom I've met in the same place brought another connection to Nazi regime JKR has likened Voldermort's pureblood supremacy to so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhisperer6 View Post
I like that Sirius calls Harry "James" right before he dies...it's sad, though.
Something I didn't catch until recently is that young!Sirius, in SWM, says the same thing (Nice one James!) to young!James when he curses young!Snape, so its a repeat of the line, further indicating the blur of Sirius seeing Harry as his Godson/Friend/James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudleycanons View Post
Hedwigs death was definitely better portrayed in film than book. It was much better seeing her go out protecting Harry, but still very sad...
So true....even when I reread or relisten to the audiobooks, I picture Hedwig dieing as she did in DH1, not as JKR wrote it. It was just such a more meaningful, powerful death.

Other things I like from the movies....
Neville's involvement in GoF, task #2- its put out there so often in the books how his favorite subject is herbology, so it just fit better with how the movie protrayed it to me, even if he got help from BCjr!Moody

Neville finding the RoR in OoTP- to me it helped develop his character better and fits more with him being the one understand the room so much better by the time of book DH

I know both take away from Dobby, but I always felt in the books Neville needed a little more push in development/importance then he got.

My all time favorite movie line that switched character saying has to be the Dumbledore has style...it never made sense to me to have Phineas Nigellus Black portrait say it in the book, but it was so natural for Kingsley to say, with an under current of being a member of the Order right under Fudge's nose. Plus his calm, deep voice, both the actor & cannon character just make the line so much more powerful.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies