Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Host

Old September 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: The Host

I'm just not too sure how much i want her to write a sequel to the Host though. Yes, i like it more than the Twilight series, but i'm afraid she'll turn it into a really "swoon he's gorgeous" like drusilla said . I love how real the characters are and how much easier it is to understand and like the characters.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2008, 9:33 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I'm just not too sure how much i want her to write a sequel to the Host though. Yes, i like it more than the Twilight series, but i'm afraid she'll turn it into a really "swoon he's gorgeous" like drusilla said . I love how real the characters are and how much easier it is to understand and like the characters.
I didn't mean a sequel to the Host. (I think you were referring to my post) I actually like it left where it is. I meant more books in general not related to Twilight.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old September 6th, 2008, 3:02 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1976 View Post
It's my favorite from her.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
I didn't mean a sequel to the Host. (I think you were referring to my post) I actually like it left where it is. I meant more books in general not related to Twilight.
I have read that she does plan to write at least one sequel to The Host. I hope she doesn't mess it up.

Old September 6th, 2008, 3:06 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I was . The Host has made me more optimistic about Stephenie's writing , that and Midnight Sun

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 9th, 2008, 3:26 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Me too!

I have read that she does plan to write at least one sequel to The Host. I hope she doesn't mess it up.
Me too.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 9th, 2008, 3:29 am
Secret Keeper

i'm not getting my hopes up....she tends to write bad sequels but maybe she'll learn from her mistakes this time.

My Deviantart Account

Old November 9th, 2008, 3:29 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
I finished! I liked the ending alot!

Spoiler: show
I kept thinking to myself that Wanderer can't just be buried in the ground. I definitely would not have liked the ending if that were the case. I knew there had to be a way that she would stay on Earth. She blongs there. She knew it and so did the rest of them.

I also liked finding out that they weren't the only rebel colony. And that she wasn't the only soul living harmoniously with humans. It really gives hope for those humans. But I am glad that it went no further than that. I like that you can be left to think that the whole soul community lives harmoniously with souls at some point, or you can believe that the rebels eventually die out. I like just having that hint of what could happen, not what actually does.
Spoiler: show
This really took me by surprise too. I wasn't at all expecting to see another colony, not just that, but that they also had their own "Wanda" too. What was also surprising was that the souls had a human for a child. It really hit me hard for some reason, that even though they had struggled so much to take over the human race, there was at least one couple that had accepted a human.

Quote:
i'm not getting my hopes up....she tends to write bad sequels but maybe she'll learn from her mistakes this time.
Yes, it wouldn't be surprising if she did.

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 9th, 2008, 7:14 am
First Year

I liked this book too, it was a great idea executed rather well and in an enjoyable way. I did think that she spent a bit too much time on the romance when I wanted to see more of the action but she's apparently finished writing a sequal and is planning a 3rd one so Twilight will have a bit of competition.

Old November 9th, 2008, 4:57 pm
Secret Keeper

I saw the romance as like taking medicine, not enjoyable but kind of necessary because it was what helped Melanie not fade away, what brought her back, what changed Wanda. I still didn't like reading about kissing or whatever, but still, i think it was ok.

My Deviantart Account

Old November 10th, 2008, 6:13 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh_ann View Post
she's apparently finished writing a sequal and is planning a 3rd one
Oh, I hadn't heard this. Cool. Any word on when it might be released?

Old November 10th, 2008, 3:30 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
she's apparently finished writing a sequal and is planning a 3rd one
Do you have a source from Stephenie saying that? The last I had heard was that she has thoughts about the sequels, but she was going to do other things first.

Old November 10th, 2008, 7:38 pm
First Year

Here you go.

http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?p=645

Apparently they'll be called The Soul and The Seeker.

Old November 10th, 2008, 8:39 pm
Secret Keeper

Sounds pretty cool already. I just hope she adds in less romance. I can get the first book, it was a good part of the plot, but too much might be too bad.

My Deviantart Account

Old November 10th, 2008, 9:33 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Here you go.

http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?p=645

Apparently they'll be called The Soul and The Seeker.
Interesting, but why is there a Twilight Leixcon??!?

Old December 17th, 2008, 5:16 am
Banned

The Host

The Host is by Stephenie Meyer and it is the best book she has ever written. What did you all think about the Host? Did you like it better than the Twilight saga? Discuss!

I loved it! Some of the science fiction parts of it were lame, but it was still cool. She could have been a bit more imaginative than that, but still pretty good. The only species that were really cool were the Souls. The other life forms like the Flowers and the Bears were just strange not very creative. Someone said on a Twilight site that she was just trying to show the strengths and the amazingness of the human race or something like that. I don't know. I guess she was. I don't believe in aliens, but still Meyer could have been a lot more creative than that. Overall though, it was brilliant. The romance, the relationships, the conflict. Oh my gosh! Two people (or should I say an alien and a human) living in one body! I thought that was cool. I hope that Meyer starts a book series out of this. It would be great if she did. She could too. There's plenty more she could right and it really doesn't have to be about Melanie or Wanderer. She could right about other souls or about other humans. There are loads of possibilities.

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Secret Keeper

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=115169

The only reason why I liked it was the science fiction. I really haven't thought of it too much lately but anyways.I only liked the romance part because it was really part of the plot, not the plot itself. If it had been the entire plot like in Twilight, I would've returned it to the bookstore immediately. I absolutely loved the Melissa (oh oops, I mean Melannie, you see what I mean by I haven't read it in ages) and Wanda conflict, that was just amazing. I really think she improved since Twilight. She realized that she didn't need to make everything so warm and fluffy like in Twilight and although her characters were still pretty flat, it was a drastic improvement from Twilight for me. I mean really, the characters actually got happy and got angry, unlike the one sided characters in Twilight. I actually hope she doesn't start a book series out of this. Judging from the past, she'll just go on and on on basically nothing. And I really don't want to see a pretty good book to be ruined like Twilight was. Twilight was actually ok, but she just went too far with it. I think that a sequel could be ok for the Host, but not too much.

My Deviantart Account

Old December 18th, 2008, 12:48 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=115169

The only reason why I liked it was the science fiction. I really haven't thought of it too much lately but anyways.I only liked the romance part because it was really part of the plot, not the plot itself. If it had been the entire plot like in Twilight, I would've returned it to the bookstore immediately. I absolutely loved the Melissa (oh oops, I mean Melannie, you see what I mean by I haven't read it in ages) and Wanda conflict, that was just amazing. I really think she improved since Twilight. She realized that she didn't need to make everything so warm and fluffy like in Twilight and although her characters were still pretty flat, it was a drastic improvement from Twilight for me. I mean really, the characters actually got happy and got angry, unlike the one sided characters in Twilight. I actually hope she doesn't start a book series out of this. Judging from the past, she'll just go on and on on basically nothing. And I really don't want to see a pretty good book to be ruined like Twilight was. Twilight was actually ok, but she just went too far with it. I think that a sequel could be ok for the Host, but not too much.

How right you are. I kind of wish she would just leave it at the Host, not to fussed about there being a sequel.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 2:33 am
First Year

I wrote this review one year ago. Time to bring it back. :P These are similar problems I have with every Stephenie Meyer book written. I am not saying anything against the author, just her writing.

The Host: generally good, overall a disappointment

To be honest, this book was not half bad, to read without thinking. It had the same writing style as Meyer usually has, and the main character, Wanderer, was another Bella, though without even enough personality to whine about things.

Melanie was probably my favorite female, but once again, sexism ruined the entire book. Misogyny and sexism seem to be two big things continuously added to each and every one of these books. The men are always the powerful hunters, the protectors, the caretakers. The women are spineless jellyfish, too weak to do anything but hunt for their man.

Melanie forces Wanderer (the alien in her body) to walk out into the middle of the desert in search of Melanie's long lost love, Jared, and her little brother, Jamie, who I liked quite a bit, though he acted much too young for his age.
Wanderer and Melanie nearly die in the dessert, and all for a man who has given up hope of Melanie surviving.

When they get there, Wanderer and Melanie fawn over Jared in their single mind: "OMGZ! He's a hottie! He's so hot! When he touches me it's like I'm on fire!" (Yes, more vanity. All focused on physical aspects rather than Jared's personality, which barely touches base.)

Ian is much sweeter, though his plotline is similar to that of Edward's (wanting to kill the girl in the first place, then slowly falling in love with her because she's so kind and self-sacrificing).

If you skipped all that, this is the biggest problem with Meyer's sexist portrayal:
Wanderer: "This body did not belong to me or to Melanie, but to Jared."

WHAT?!

No, honey, that body does *not* belong to the man you're with, or that you love. He may hit you and bruise your face repeatedly. He may punch you. He may starve you. He may force you to sleep in a tiny space that twists your muscles. He may hold death above your head.

BUT HE DOES NOT OWN YOU!

I just had to get that out. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Amivera; June 22nd, 2009 at 2:39 am.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 3:57 am
Secret Keeper

well the difference between the Host and Twilight is that there are the starts of caring about a personality in the Host. For example, Wanda likes Iam because he's nicer to her and the Jared crush was more because of Melanie. I still have absolutely no idea what made Bella really fall for Edward .

However, i'm still not sure why Melanie liked Jared besides the fact that she thought he was the last human but ah well, all hope is not lost for Meyer

I think Meyer needs to think a bit about how 16 year olds (I think tha'ts how old Jaimie is right?) are supposed to act haha

My Deviantart Account

Old June 22nd, 2009, 3:40 pm
Sixth Year

Sorry, Amivera, but I could not disagree with you more. Loved the Host and crave it whenever I think about it, and had no problem with how the genders played out. It's natural, not sexist, in my opinion. But I respect your opinion.