Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Ender's Game and related series

Old October 7th, 2007, 6:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Ender's Game and related series

I think that Ender's Game by Orson Scot Card is one of the best crafted Science Fiction novels that I've ever read. The novel is very well written, has some great characters and plot and a real surprise ending. As for the sequels, I like Speaker for the Dead, but was never really able to get into the subsequent books.

I didn't enjoy Ender's Shadow as much as Ender's Game, though it was a pretty good book as well. I did read all of the sequels, but mostly just of out curiosity for what happened more than because I enjoyed them so much.

Please discuss what you like/don't like about these books

Old October 7th, 2007, 8:52 am
Sixth Year

Re: Ender's Game and related series

I read Ender's Game years ago and I really liked it. I read all the other Ender books, but by the last book of the series it got a bit too sci-fi for me. I also read all the Ender's Shadow ones that followed Bean's story, but I didn't like them as much as Ender's story.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old October 7th, 2007, 9:11 am
Fourth Year

Ender is amazing. I'm actually writing a paper right now for an anthropology class about how Card drew on the push for more math and science in schools and gifted programs during the Cold War for some aspects of his book.

Happy Burger Comic Season 2 [Ep. 6 09/02/08]

HP Sketches [Updated 08/02/08]

...if you want to get a hold of me, you should probably poke me on dA
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:01 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I absolutely adore Ender's Game. I have read all the sequels as well as Ender's Shadow and the subsequent Bean books. I have to say that I did not love the Ender or Bean sequels as much as their original books, but they were still great reading. I am completely attached to the character of Ender and wasn't too interested in all the interwoven stories in the sequels; but no matter how opposed I was to those stories in the beginning, Card always managed to suck me in and I was totally engrossed in the books by the end. Card is a fantastic writer.

Has anyone ever tried reading Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow chapter for chapter? The chapters don't always match up, but once they get to battle school they correlate pretty well; it is very interesting to see the same events play out from two points of view, and a more intense experience than reading first one book entirely and then the other.

Old January 4th, 2008, 1:42 am
Sixth Year

Ender's Game is so AWESOME! It is one of my favorite books! It is amazing! I've read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Ender's Shadow as well, but Ender's Game is BY FAR the best. Battle School is so interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Has anyone ever tried reading Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow chapter for chapter? The chapters don't always match up, but once they get to battle school they correlate pretty well; it is very interesting to see the same events play out from two points of view, and a more intense experience than reading first one book entirely and then the other.
No, I didn't do that, but when I read Ender's Shadow I kept going back to Ender's Game as a reference to see the different points of view at my favorite parts.

I would like to say this: I HATE Children of the Mind. It's just so unfair. . . For those of you who haven't read it, I won't go into further details.

Did any of you know that Orson Scott Card is Mormon? (aka LDS). Or that Card co-wrote a book about the two sides of Snape with a couple of other authors? Or that he wrote the book Abyss, which later became the movie? There's some movie that he was the screenwirter for, too, but I can't put my finger on it . . .

Old January 4th, 2008, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
Did any of you know that Orson Scott Card is Mormon? (aka LDS). Or that Card co-wrote a book about the two sides of Snape with a couple of other authors?
Yes, I read that Snape book. I think it was called The Great Snape Debate (Card was of the opinion that Snape was a good guy). He has written many books, some of which are religious, I believe. I have never read any of his work other than the Ender books. I do have Enchantment on my reading list, though, which seems to be a kind of fantasy/fairy tale type book as far as I can tell.

Old January 4th, 2008, 6:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Yes, I read that Snape book. I think it was called The Great Snape Debate (Card was of the opinion that Snape was a good guy). He has written many books, some of which are religious, I believe. I have never read any of his work other than the Ender books. I do have Enchantment on my reading list, though, which seems to be a kind of fantasy/fairy tale type book as far as I can tell.
Hmm. . . Enchantment sounds good. I should read it! Thanks!

EDIT:
Sarapsys, I absolutely LOVE the sig!!!

Old March 14th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

According to Wikipedia, the screenplay Card wrote/is writing, would be for an upcoming "Ender's Game" movie.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old March 15th, 2008, 1:27 am
Third Year

I've only read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Fantastic books though. As a sci-fi fan and a military tactics fan it becomes very interesting for me. The formations and strategies used in the game are really cool, and the way Bean just figured out every piece of classified info was awesome.

Old March 25th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
According to Wikipedia, the screenplay Card wrote/is writing, would be for an upcoming "Ender's Game" movie.
Yeah, I read about that, too. But it doesn't seem like he's making a whole lot of progress on it . Maybe they decided not to do it.

Old April 4th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
I read that they have been trying to make Ender's Game into a movie for yeeeeeeaaars. At one point they wanted the little kid who played Annakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones for the role of Ender; he's already grown now! I guess the problem is finding enough really good child actors to carry the film since pretty much every main role is that of a child.

Old April 5th, 2008, 5:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I read that they have been trying to make Ender's Game into a movie for yeeeeeeaaars. At one point they wanted the little kid who played Annakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones for the role of Ender; he's already grown now! I guess the problem is finding enough really good child actors to carry the film since pretty much every main role is that of a child.
Yeah, that could be the problem. I wish they could speed the process up a bit, though, I think it'd be a decent film to see. I really enjoyed the book and I'd look forward to the movie. I hope they haven't given up on it.

Old April 5th, 2008, 7:05 pm
First Year

It was such a psychological twister. That's what made me love it. Such an ingenious little kid he was.

Definite recommendation for anyone.

<3, Tigga.

Old July 1st, 2008, 3:26 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
Yeah, that could be the problem. I wish they could speed the process up a bit, though, I think it'd be a decent film to see. I really enjoyed the book and I'd look forward to the movie. I hope they haven't given up on it.
I think a movie would be tough to make because a main part of the story, and IMO the most enjoyable, was all mental. What Ender thought of himself, of Peter, of Valentine, and of the actions of the adults would be hard to convey onto the big screen. There are some nice action scenes in there, but I actually prefer these as books.

I just finished Ender's Game a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely amazing. That scene where he found the Giant's corpse and the whole fantas/mind game thing on the bugger's planet was so creepy! And to think the buggers did it all for him.

Now that I've finished Ender's Game, should I next read Ender's Shadow or Speaker for the Dead?

Old July 1st, 2008, 5:00 am
Seventh Year

I think you make a good point there DeathlyH, I hadn't thought about it before but it's true. Most of the plot lays on what he thinks is going on and how he processes every event. It would be lacking a lot if turned into a movie.

I could never get past the first book. I think I moved on to Speaker of the Dead once I was done with the first and it just didn't feel the same way. Dropped it a few chapters after I had begun and never picked it up again.

Last edited by Puchula; July 2nd, 2008 at 3:02 am.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 2:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I think a movie would be tough to make because a main part of the story, and IMO the most enjoyable, was all mental. What Ender thought of himself, of Peter, of Valentine, and of the actions of the adults would be hard to convey onto the big screen. There are some nice action scenes in there, but I actually prefer these as books.
Good point. I didn't really think of it that way before, but you're right, that's really what makes it such an interesting book.

I'd still like to see a film, though, if possible.
Quote:
I just finished Ender's Game a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely amazing. That scene where he found the Giant's corpse and the whole fantas/mind game thing on the bugger's planet was so creepy! And to think the buggers did it all for him.
I know, it's awesome, isn't it? It's really intense and intreguing; I could't put it down!!

Quote:
Now that I've finished Ender's Game, should I next read Ender's Shadow or Speaker for the Dead?
I read Speaker for he Dead first, but I guess it's really up to you. I agree with Puchula; it was so different...it almost different feel like it was he same series! But I did read it, along with Xenocide and Children of the Mind. Ender's Game was definitely the best out of the four. As for the Shadow series, I've only read Ender's Shadow. I started reading Shadow of the Hegemon, but I lost interest. I did like Ender's Shadow, though, because it's basically Ender's Game in Bean's point of view. I liked those two the best of the series; Battle School is so captivating!

Old July 4th, 2008, 4:22 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I read Speaker for the Dead after I finished Ender's Game. Personally, I thought Speaker for the Dead was the best book in the series. After I finished Children of the Mind, I went back and read Ender's Shadow and the books that follow.

Shadow of the Hegemon and the books that follow it were more politically minded and had a lot of military strategy. I didn't like them as much as I liked the others. It was interesting to see what happened to everyone else after Ender left Earth, but it was as fun to read as Speaker for the Dead.

Last edited by bogart; July 4th, 2008 at 4:24 am.
Old July 15th, 2008, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Shadow of the Hegemon and the books that follow it were more politically minded and had a lot of military strategy. I didn't like them as much as I liked the others. It was interesting to see what happened to everyone else after Ender left Earth, but it was as fun to read as Speaker for the Dead.
I agree. Shadow of the Hegemon was very difficult for me to get through--not too into the political aspect. But the subsequent Shadow books were more interesting to me. They still had the politics, but Card included a more personal quest for Bean, which held my interest more.

Old July 21st, 2008, 5:02 pm
Defender of Dogs

I'm looking forward to reading the last book in the Shadow series, Shadow of the Giant. Just from the title it sounds interesting, because during Ender's Game I always loved reading about the fantasy game with the giant. It was just so creepy, in a cool way!

Old July 21st, 2008, 5:07 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

How did I miss this thread?

Anyways, I liked both tetrads, though the Shadow Series was better I think. I guess I liked the more personal aspect to Bean as opposed to Ender, who wasn't as likable in subsequent books to me as he was in the first.

Don't click on the following until you're done with the Shadow:
Spoiler: show
I almost cried at the end of Shadow of the Giant. So sad!

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy