Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old July 10th, 2010, 3:01 pm
First Year

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

I think OOTP was ruined by the bouncy music as Umbridge skipped around the castle. HBP was pretty good and darker, but a little too comedic at times. I'm all for comic relief but not at the expense of important scenes, like the battle. Also annoyed that the waitress/diner scene replaced Dumdbledore's trip to the Dursley's..
I'd say GOF was darkest: with the filming, babymort becoming "human" and Harry sobbing over Cedric's dead body. Not to mention Krum being possesed, Wormtail cutting Harry (and his own hand), Barty Crouch Jr. as Moody.. I don't know who directed that one, but I think he did a great job.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2010, 3:33 pm
Second Year

Goblet of Fire

Old July 10th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Second Year

Definitely OotP, everything in that movie is dark (well, mostly). And besides a very select few points, I felt very nervous watching it - very suspenseful.

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old July 10th, 2010, 4:01 pm
First Year

Hi, my answer is:
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

Thanks

Old July 10th, 2010, 4:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Hi, my answer is:
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows
You haven't seen it yet though...
Do you mean from the previews and trailers?

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old July 10th, 2010, 4:27 pm
First Year

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie and serious Harry Potter fan, so I decided to indulge and try to forget that fact that I'm a 38-year old mother of 2 teenage girls (who both love Harry Potter also).

The darkest of the films, IMHO, was the OoTP. I also thought POA was a little dark. HBP wasn't that dark to me

Old July 10th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefroggy View Post
I think OOTP was ruined by the bouncy music as Umbridge skipped around the castle. HBP was pretty good and darker, but a little too comedic at times. I'm all for comic relief but not at the expense of important scenes, like the battle. Also annoyed that the waitress/diner scene replaced Dumdbledore's trip to the Dursley's..
I'd say GOF was darkest: with the filming, babymort becoming "human" and Harry sobbing over Cedric's dead body. Not to mention Krum being possesed, Wormtail cutting Harry (and his own hand), Barty Crouch Jr. as Moody.. I don't know who directed that one, but I think he did a great job.
Yeah I agree, GoF was pretty dark. That graveyard scene with Pettigrew, Voldemort, and Harry always gave me the chills. Mike Newell was the director of that. I agree, he did a good job.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:25 am
First Year

The first three are not dark.
GOF is not dark in the first half and really dark in the second half (the graveyard scene is the most horrifying of the series so far IMO).
OOTF never gets incredibly dark, but it keeps the same level of fear throughout the movie.
I think HBP is the most dark of the six. There's a feeling of gloominess in every scene, even in the most funny ones.

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:59 am
First Year

I feel the Half-blood Prince to be the darkest, with all the build up for the DH and what was to come. Very dark indeed.

The movies really show the evolution of the series well though, and the maturity growth of all the characters.

Until the very end.
"Soon, we must all choose between what is Right, and what is Easy."
"It's our choices that show us who we are."
Old July 11th, 2010, 1:46 am
Third Year

The closest any of these films get to dark is POA. There is some real tension throughout and the Shrieking Shack is some heavy stuff thanks to the adult actors.

Old July 11th, 2010, 5:29 am
Second Year

^Yeah the Shrieking Shack does inflict a little bit of darkness to the movie as do the dementors (which are really scary looking).

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old July 11th, 2010, 6:16 am
Second Year

Perhaps Goblet of Fire. But I think that the one that will have the prize of the "Darkest HP film" will be Deathly Hallows.
By what you already know after reading the book and watching DH trailer it makes you realize how everything is on its final point and by consequence ... its darkest one.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old July 11th, 2010, 6:23 am
Second Year

I think its a tie between the 4th one and the 6th. In the 4th, Voldemort came back, and Harry was dealing with a lot with the triwizard tournament and for a little bit not talking with Ron. Also, later on when he witnessed Diggory dieing, it was certainly dark. Not only with what Harry directly went through but also with the Death Eaters at the Quiddich World Cup and even the very beginning with Frank Bryce. The graveyard scene was very creepy, especially when Voldemort first came up and you see his profile with his spine sticking out. Then it really got scary when the cauldron turned into his robes and his eyes roll back..*shudders*. Then when he picks up his wand and summons the Death Eaters, it really was dark, showing that Harry's problems had just begun. Then, when Harry and Voldemort duel, you really get scared and start to think "What's going to happen?!" if you haven't read the books. When Harry and diggory's body come back that was very heart wrenching showing true emotion and grief.

In the 6th one, Harry was just getting over Sirius' death, making it hard for him to deal with. Also there was the whole situation with the war, and how it wasn't going very well. Then there was the conflict between Ron and Hermione which wasn't as serious, but still affected Harry. With all the flashbacks to Voldy's past life, it gave me the chills. Next, when Harry and Dumbledore are searching for the Horcruxes, especially at the lake scene it got really dark. Then it progressed into Dumbledore's death, and the "duel" between Snape and Harry. Also, the sequences with the bridge breaking and the death eaters especially Greyback showed that this one showed what evil could do. Elaborating on that was when the Burrow was set on fire(which never happened in the books, making me angry but i won't go into that =p).

July 15,2011
<33333333333

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure

Last edited by CROOKshanks1919; July 11th, 2010 at 6:27 am.
Old July 12th, 2010, 4:50 am
Third Year

GOF is a good shout. The last 30 minutes is on par with POA, but I think the feel of the rest of the film keeps it from reaching the level of POA.

HBP never reaches the preceding three films on the darkness meter. It has dark, serious moments, but the overall film is far too melodramatic to compare.

Old July 12th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Seventh Year

I honestly don't see how the Goblet of Fire movie was dark and that's honestly what bothers me the most about it. Twenty minutes of Harry Potter flying, twenty minutes of Harry Potter swimming, twenty minutes of dancing, twenty minutes of walking through an empty maze, and five minutes of watching Cedric dying / Voldemort come back to life / worrying that Harry was going to die. As far as I noticed, the only think that is dark about the movie is that the maze and the last five minutes of the movie take place when it is dark outside.

I honestly think Prisoner of Azkaban was darker than any of the other movies. Sure Harry is happy in the end, but it sets a very grim mood (pun intended).

Old July 27th, 2010, 4:54 am
Second Year

Of the existing movies, I'd have to say it's a tie between PoA and OotP.
PoA is extremely dark, with the audience (and Harry) constantly being reminded of death.
OotP has an overall atmosphere of despair, what with Umbridge ruling the school and torturing the kids at every opportunity, and the possession scene at the end.
Having said that, though, Deathly Hallows will most likely end up being the darkest of the films.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."

Last edited by TheScribbler; July 28th, 2010 at 3:57 pm.
Old July 27th, 2010, 5:13 am
First Year

Even though it hasn't even been relased yet, I think the Deathly Hallows will be the darkest...I mean COME ON!!! You read the book...riiiggghhhttt?

I would say, the Goblet of Fire and HBP are the darkest.

1. HBP has the most emotional moment in the entire series...
Spoiler: show
Dumbledore's death.

2. The final battle in Goblet of Fire was pretty intense. And...
Spoiler: show
The death of Cedric was really dark.

Last edited by Stupefy150; July 27th, 2010 at 5:16 am.
Old July 27th, 2010, 9:20 am
Second Year

I'm going to go with HBP as a overall movie. you had the aftermath of the 5th movie. Plus stuff like the Horcrux's Dumbledore dying and the lake scene.

GOF did get pretty dark at the end though.

Old July 28th, 2010, 7:21 am
Second Year

I'm going to go with the OotP for being the most psychologically dark (the mention of Harry talking in his sleep about Cedric's death, his unsettling neck twists, Voldemort invading his mind, the possession scene).

Old July 28th, 2010, 7:31 am
Ordo Lebes

Probably GoF.

I haven't seen 4 and 5 in a while, but from memory GoF was the darkest. There was the Death Eater march at the Quidditch World Cup, with the creepy masks and the chanting. That was unsettling. Then the obvious, the ending. I felt Voldemort's rebirth was done extremely well, which means it was very creepy. It was the only film to be PG13, was it not?

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies