Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old May 15th, 2007, 9:58 am
NarcissaWeasley  Female.gif NarcissaWeasley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4708 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 32
Posts: 198
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Prostitution is illegal also because it is dangerous. It can be (and is) abused. Women (and girls) are put at risk. Prostitution is dangerous. Health and safety are coming to my mind right now. While I think prostitution is morally wrong, if legalizing prostitution (as in, our government legalizing it but highly regulating it) could save lives, then maybe we should. It seems Amsterdam (etc.) has been able to juggle this issue and maybe we can, too. Prostitution is still wrong, though. Legalizing it doesn't make it moral. But the morality of it is not an issue, the government's purpose is to protect physical/tangible lives before lofty ideals. Legalizing prostitution might be a step forward, instead of ignoring the issue.
I agree with you that prostitution is dangerous,and for that reason i am unsure about legalising it.On the other hand,paragliding and rock climbing are also dangerous but they're not illegal now,are they?

I disagree however about prostitution being morally wrong.if no-one is being harmed in the process,who's to say what''s right or wrong?You're personal belief system may regard it as immoral but (thankfully) the world is not united under a single religion or moral code so in many cases morality is subjective.


Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old May 15th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Discordia's Avatar
Discordia  Female.gif Discordia is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5864 days
Location: My sanctuary
Age: 32
Posts: 2,092
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I for one don't like how women are viewed in society when it comes to sex. The women are always seen as the whores and the sinners while with men its just "guys will be guys." People say legalizing prostiution will regulate the trade and help women find decent brothels to work in or what not but I do not like the idea of it being ok for prostitution to be an accepted legalized line of work for women. Shouldn't we be asking more of our young women? Don't they deserve more? I feel like legalizing protitution is giving girls some demeaning aspiration of what they chould possibly achieve. If you don't become a doctor, a politician, a businesswoman, or a teacher you can always become a prostitute. Ask any prostitute on the street if she would want to sell her body for a living or earn a decent living doing something that earns her more respect and stability. So why are there protitutes on the street? Because they made bad choices and ran out of options. Where would the moeny come from for such regulation of prostitution? My tax money to give some girls condoms? I don't think legalization is necessarily the solution. I think the solution is finding ways to keep girls safe and off the streets. The US government instead of treating drug addicts tends to just throw them in jail. What they need is better rehabilitation programs. Its like prison inmates stuck in prison doing absolutely nothing but stirring up more trouble. Educate them, put them to work. In Germany they've been getting prostitutes off the streets by using them to care for the elderly.

There are so many issues and grey areas with prostitution that would need to be worked out if it were legalized. There is just so much to deal with. How to handle customers, how the girls would be treated, living conditions, health, money/business, where the girls are coming from, age, human trafficking. I don't think its right to legalize prostitution but tell a woman she doesn't have the right to abortion and vice versa.


__________________

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."
  #123  
Old May 15th, 2007, 4:54 pm
rigdoctorbri's Avatar
rigdoctorbri  Male.gif rigdoctorbri is offline
Purveyor of Prophesy
 
Joined: 5347 days
Location: Arguing with myself
Age: 48
Posts: 2,336
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Of the so called victimless crimes (prostitution, drugs, and gambling) prostitution is the one that is closest to being truly victimless. In illicit protitution often times the only ones who are the victims end up being the protitutes. They are not well cared for, or protected. They get little help or sympathy from society or their pimps. Many fall into drug use/abuse, are regularly beaten up by pimps, other protitutes, or their Johns. Many wind up dead, or diseased. Sad, lonely lives.

By legalizing and regulating the trade all of the above problems will go away.

Furthermore, they provide a service. (Granted it is not the most moral service, but that is a matter of opinion into which I will not delve.) This service is in the form of fulfilling fantasies that one cannot do with one's spouse or significant other, but without the emotional commitment.

This discussion is a bit above the PG-13 rating, but since it is worthy of discussion, I cannot fault it...


__________________
Special thanks to storyteller for the Banner
Thanks to all who voted for me in the Through The Trapdoor: Fourth Challenge!

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.

Last edited by Jessica; May 15th, 2007 at 6:21 pm.
  #124  
Old May 15th, 2007, 6:58 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 5039 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 36
Posts: 2,766
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Of the so called victimless crimes (prostitution, drugs, and gambling) prostitution is the one that is closest to being truly victimless. In illicit protitution often times the only ones who are the victims end up being the protitutes. They are not well cared for, or protected. They get little help or sympathy from society or their pimps. Many fall into drug use/abuse, are regularly beaten up by pimps, other protitutes, or their Johns. Many wind up dead, or diseased. Sad, lonely lives.

By legalizing and regulating the trade all of the above problems will go away.

Furthermore, they provide a service. (Granted it is not the most moral service, but that is a matter of opinion into which I will not delve.) This service is in the form of fulfilling fantasies that one cannot do with one's spouse or significant other, but without the emotional commitment.

This discussion is a bit above the PG-13 rating, but since it is worthy of discussion, I cannot fault it...
How can you be sure legalizing prostitution will eliminate any of those problems? Why is it necessarily true that prostitution is the cause of any of those problems? It seems perfectly plausible to me that women who've been abused, women who have drug problems, and generally women who already feel isolated and helpless are more likely to become prostitutes. Even a woman who has nothing else still has her body.

That is the problem. Making prostitution legal is not going to make it a glamorous job. While I disagree with Kimagine's opinion that it will cause problems beyond the obvious drawbacks to a career in sex, I also don't believe that it's as simple as that.

See, from one perspective someone ought to be trying to help the women who end up in such desperate situations (and not all prostitutes are, it is important to note). But why can't we do that with education, and treatment, and social welfare, maybe even a little bit of maturity as a society. Because like I asked earlier, is changing the status of prostitution going to really affect women who felt their only choice was to sell their bodies? I'm sure it will make things better for a great many, but there are two kinds of demand in that business: Demand for sex, and demand for easy money. I'm not sure how to curb either one of those.

Anyway, those problems are all related to prostitution, but they aren't caused by its being illegal. For example, it is also illegal to assault people, so does that mean prostitutes only get beat up because it's illegal to beat them? I'm with you on the point that people need to see prostitutes as people a little more clearly, but legalizing it will not accomplish that. Being treated with respect is a two-way street. They need the majority to accept then, and they need pride in themselves. Can you give it to them?


  #125  
Old May 15th, 2007, 9:10 pm
SSJ_Jup81's Avatar
SSJ_Jup81  Female.gif SSJ_Jup81 is offline
Secret Chocolate Keeper
 
Joined: 5436 days
Location: 東京
Age: 38
Posts: 6,232
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Morally, prostitution is, well, wrong, but imo, it should be legalized. Prostitutes and pimps should have their income taxed too.


  #126  
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:28 pm
Kirsten's Avatar
Kirsten  Female.gif Kirsten is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5672 days
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 49
Posts: 1,064
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Prostitution is illegal also because it is dangerous. It can be (and is) abused. Women (and girls) are put at risk. Prostitution is dangerous. Health and safety are coming to my mind right now. While I think prostitution is morally wrong, if legalizing prostitution (as in, our government legalizing it but highly regulating it) could save lives, then maybe we should. It seems Amsterdam (etc.) has been able to juggle this issue and maybe we can, too. Prostitution is still wrong, though. Legalizing it doesn't make it moral. But the morality of it is not an issue, the government's purpose is to protect physical/tangible lives before lofty ideals. Legalizing prostitution might be a step forward, instead of ignoring the issue.
Prostitution isn't dangerous. There's nothing inherently dangerous about having sex or being paid and prostitution is just a combination of the two. However, where prostitution is illegal, women work in isolated conditions, they resent a police presence, they're reluctant to report assaults to the police for fear of being charged themselves, it's easier for men to assault them, it's harder to monitor where women are being abused or forced into prostitution, it's harder to monitor and control child prostitution and sex trafficking...

Prostitution is not dangerous in itself, but the criminalisation of it forces the women into working in dangerous situations.


__________________
Member no 4 of AAACCK (Special Protector of MiniEggs) says give blood, carry a donor card
Lots of planets have a North.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea...
Do not post "fug/fog" in the mistakes thread. Fug is not a mistake. It's a real word, and the publishers have confirmed it's the correct word.
  #127  
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:17 pm
rigdoctorbri's Avatar
rigdoctorbri  Male.gif rigdoctorbri is offline
Purveyor of Prophesy
 
Joined: 5347 days
Location: Arguing with myself
Age: 48
Posts: 2,336
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
How can you be sure legalizing prostitution will eliminate any of those problems? Why is it necessarily true that prostitution is the cause of any of those problems? It seems perfectly plausible to me that women who've been abused, women who have drug problems, and generally women who already feel isolated and helpless are more likely to become prostitutes. Even a woman who has nothing else still has her body.
Sure, there are various reasons for abuse, drug use, murder, etc...but quite often the bargain basement street walker is not doing it for a lucrative career. They are at a point where they have no choice but to do it on the street, trying to avoid arrest, and please an unscrupulous pimp. Regulation of the trade, and clean, safe, sterile environments will place more safeguards on the prostitutes, and on the clients.

Quote:
That is the problem. Making prostitution legal is not going to make it a glamorous job. While I disagree with Kimagine's opinion that it will cause problems beyond the obvious drawbacks to a career in sex, I also don't believe that it's as simple as that.
A woman with her body can be one of the most powerful forces in the world. Her use of it to earn a living using sex is really not much different than a runway model earning a living on her looks, and poise. As a man (and not a "hot" one at that), I only wish I could earn a decent living simply with my body as my trade. I think any person who can earn a six figure income doing something they enjoy is someone to be admired, not scorned.

Quote:
See, from one perspective someone ought to be trying to help the women who end up in such desperate situations (and not all prostitutes are, it is important to note). But why can't we do that with education, and treatment, and social welfare, maybe even a little bit of maturity as a society. Because like I asked earlier, is changing the status of prostitution going to really affect women who felt their only choice was to sell their bodies? I'm sure it will make things better for a great many, but there are two kinds of demand in that business: Demand for sex, and demand for easy money. I'm not sure how to curb either one of those.
I think you ought to see the HBO show CATHOUSE. It is a reality documentary of a legal brothel in Nevada. Most of the women there are classy, very intelligent, educated, and making twice the money of your average civil engineer. They are there in a safe, very strictly regulated environment as independent contractors. They work when they want, and some have made enough money to retire, invest in businesses, and enjoy their lives. Moral issues aside, what is wrong with that?

Quote:
Anyway, those problems are all related to prostitution, but they aren't caused by its being illegal. For example, it is also illegal to assault people, so does that mean prostitutes only get beat up because it's illegal to beat them? I'm with you on the point that people need to see prostitutes as people a little more clearly, but legalizing it will not accomplish that. Being treated with respect is a two-way street. They need the majority to accept then, and they need pride in themselves. Can you give it to them?
Yes, much of it is caused by it being illegal. They are working in shady areas, around shady people, who carry who knows what diseases, or violent tendancies. They wind up in jail, beat up, or dead.

I will give you an example of a patient I had.

I was called for a woman who was run over by a car. As it turned out, she was dragged after the John she was trying to pick up, rolled his car window up when he tried to grab her purse. Her arm was locked in, and dragged her over a block, before she slipped free, and was rolled over by the rear tire.

When my partner and I arrived on scene, she had a fractured tibia and fibula, a fractured wrist, and humorous. She also had a laceration requiring 16 stitches on her forhead from a pistol whipping.

Three days later, my partner and I were on shift again. We rolled near the area where we had found our patient. There she was, working the corner again, on crutches, and her arm in a sling. We stopped to ask her how she was, and she said "My man don't care! He just told me to go make the money!"

Legalizing and regulation of the trade may not eliminate this kind of problem, but it would certainly curtail it.


__________________
Special thanks to storyteller for the Banner
Thanks to all who voted for me in the Through The Trapdoor: Fourth Challenge!

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
  #128  
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:21 pm
Altjeringa  Female.gif Altjeringa is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5281 days
Location: Room of Requirement
Age: 33
Posts: 354
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
I for one don't like how women are viewed in society when it comes to sex. The women are always seen as the whores and the sinners while with men its just "guys will be guys."
You know something, I agree (kind of). I don't like the all too common belief some people have that women who work within the sex industry are unworthy. Do you honestly not think that this attitude is thanks in large part due to the fact that prostitution and other sex industrty careers are looked down upon?

Quote:
People say legalizing prostiution will regulate the trade and help women find decent brothels to work in or what not but I do not like the idea of it being ok for prostitution to be an accepted legalized line of work for women.
With all due respect, what makes you think you get to decide what women can and can't do with their own lives and bodies?

Quote:
Shouldn't we be asking more of our young women? Don't they deserve more? I feel like legalizing protitution is giving girls some demeaning aspiration of what they chould possibly achieve. If you don't become a doctor, a politician, a businesswoman, or a teacher you can always become a prostitute. Ask any prostitute on the street if she would want to sell her body for a living or earn a decent living doing something that earns her more respect and stability.
Once again, the implication here is that prostitutes are unworthy of respect. Why is that? Why should their line of work prevent them from being treated with the respect that all decent human beings deserve?

It's interesting that your brought up the fields of politics and business. It is not at all uncommon for politicians and businesspeople to engage in extremely unethical behavior, sometimes to the point of harming others. Yet a prostitute, who harms nobody, is somehow supposed to be less respectable. Why? Because her job involves sex?

Quote:
So why are there protitutes on the street? Because they made bad choices and ran out of options.
Well first of all, not all prostitutes are from the streets. On the contrary, the overwhelming majority of them are not. That seems to be a common misconception in this thread. Streetwalkers only account for about 15% of American prostitutes. The rest of them are mostly call-girls or escorts, and a good portion of them live surprisingly luxurious lifestyles.

Second, the reason there are prostitutes on the street is the same reason why there are people who work in factories, at McDonalds, in sweatshops, etc. I doubt that anybody who works in these places actually "chooses" to do so. Most people don't work because they like it, but rather because of economic necessity. Prostitution is no worse than any of those other jobs that I just mentioned, and the only reason I can think why anyone would think it is is because it involves sex. In fact, I would argue that some of them are worse. Working at McDonalds all day, preparing that disgusting food, coming home smelling like it, dealing with rude customers, wearing that ugly uniform...talk about degrading! A prostitute has the potential to make more than twice the amount of money in one night than a minimum wage worker will make in one week.

Quote:
Where would the moeny come from for such regulation of prostitution? My tax money to give some girls condoms?
Your tax money isn't needed for that. Prostitutes have lower rates of STDs and unplanned pregnancies than the general promiscuous population.

Quote:
I think the solution is finding ways to keep girls safe and off the streets.
Do you think that keeping it illegal is helping to keep streetwalkers safe? I think a part of the solution is for the government to keeps its laws off of individual's bodies.

Quote:
I don't think its right to legalize prostitution but tell a woman she doesn't have the right to abortion and vice versa.
Huh? Who here has said a women doesn't have a right to an abortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Prostitution is illegal also because it is dangerous. It can be (and is) abused. Women (and girls) are put at risk. Prostitution is dangerous.
Police officers. Fire fighters. Enlisting in the military. Stunt people. These are just a few examples of professions that can be dangerous. Even professional athletes risk life-threatening and career-ending injuries every time they go out onto the field. Just the other day one of my cousin's friends was practicing baseball with his father. At one point, the kid's hit accidentally smacked his father square in the face. The father lost his eye and was in a coma for a few days.

Quote:
While I think prostitution is morally wrong,...Prostitution is still wrong, though. Legalizing it doesn't make it moral.
Why is prostitution wrong?

In case anyone can't tell, yes, I am in favor of decriminalizing prostitution.


__________________
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"


"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton
  #129  
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:18 am
Padfoot_Returns  Female.gif Padfoot_Returns is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4730 days
Location: Waiting for July 21!
Age: 26
Posts: 305
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altjeringa View Post
Once again, the implication here is that prostitutes are unworthy of respect. Why is that? Why should their line of work prevent them from being treated with the respect that all decent human beings deserve?
A lot of people think that prostitution is morally wrong and thats why they gain less respect than everyone else.

Quote:
Police officers. Fire fighters. Enlisting in the military. Stunt people. These are just a few examples of professions that can be dangerous. Even professional athletes risk life-threatening and career-ending injuries every time they go out onto the field. Just the other day one of my cousin's friends was practicing baseball with his father. At one point, the kid's hit accidentally smacked his father square in the face. The father lost his eye and was in a coma for a few days.
Yes, all those professions you mentioned above are dangerous, but not immoral. Some of them are to help other people such as fire fighter and police officers.

Quote:
Why is prostitution wrong?
Why is it wrong? Don't you think its wrong for someone to sell their body to someone else?!


__________________

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #130  
Old May 17th, 2007, 1:24 am
Dawa Lhamo  Female.gif Dawa Lhamo is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5519 days
Location: Kansas City
Age: 36
Posts: 447
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot_Returns View Post
Why is it wrong? Don't you think its wrong for someone to sell their body to someone else?!
Oh, you mean like models and athletes and movie stars?


  #131  
Old May 17th, 2007, 1:33 am
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5273 days
Location: United States
Age: 31
Posts: 2,227
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissaWeasley View Post
I agree with you that prostitution is dangerous,and for that reason i am unsure about legalising it.On the other hand,paragliding and rock climbing are also dangerous but they're not illegal now,are they?
[/quote]

Like rigdoctorbri brought up, a lot of the dangers of prostitution are in fact linked with it being illegal. Anyone can be victimized, true, but prostitutes are less likely to be comfortable going to the police. Being assaulted or abused is scary enough as it is for many women. But while a woman who's assaulted by her husbanded or raped by a stranger who attacked her while she was walking home from work in a perfectly legal office has the law and public sympathy on her side, there are people who would be less sympathetic to a prostitute because of her job if she was assaulted by a violent pimp or raped by a john, and she might fear being arrested if she goes to the cops. Also, having prostitution illegal supports an underworld where violent pimps can trap women. If it was legal, it would be easier for customers to give their business to a legit brothel instead. Street prostitutes would still exist and get business, but that field of prostitution would likely become less lucretive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
I for one don't like how women are viewed in society when it comes to sex. The women are always seen as the whores and the sinners while with men its just "guys will be guys."
It's possible for men to be prostitutes, too. There aren't as many, but they do exist. I would think that if the law changed, it would apply to them, too.

Quote:
Shouldn't we be asking more of our young women?
Part of feminism, to me, is letting women choose to do what they want (within reasonable limits), even if their choice isn't popular.


  #132  
Old May 17th, 2007, 2:54 am
Altjeringa  Female.gif Altjeringa is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5281 days
Location: Room of Requirement
Age: 33
Posts: 354
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot_Returns View Post
A lot of people think that prostitution is morally wrong and thats why they gain less respect than everyone else.
Please explain why prostitution is immoral. Please also explain why a prostitutes - who harms nobody - is less worthy of respect than a politician, a lawyer or a businessman, all of whom engage in extremely unethical activities that often harm others.

Quote:
Yes, all those professions you mentioned above are dangerous, but not immoral. Some of them are to help other people such as fire fighter and police officers.
Once again, please explain why prostitution is immoral. Also, I take it you haven't had many experiences with cops if you think that that profession is totally 'moral'.

Quote:
Why is it wrong? Don't you think its wrong for someone to sell their body to someone else?!
Well considering that in every single profession on Earth our bodies perform functions to benefit the boss in exchange for money, no, I don't.

The only difference between prostitution and any other career is that the former involves sex. That's it. As I said, every job involves the exchange of certain services for money, so why should prostitution be viewed any differently?


__________________
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"


"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by Altjeringa; May 17th, 2007 at 3:52 am.
  #133  
Old May 17th, 2007, 3:22 am
NarcissaWeasley  Female.gif NarcissaWeasley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4708 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 32
Posts: 198
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Code:
Like rigdoctorbri brought up, a lot of the dangers of prostitution are in fact linked with it being illegal. Anyone can be victimized, true, but prostitutes are less likely to be comfortable going to the police. Being assaulted or abused is scary enough as it is for many women. But while a woman who's assaulted by her husbanded or raped by a stranger who attacked her while she was walking home from work in a perfectly legal office has the law and public sympathy on her side, there are people who would be less sympathetic to a prostitute because of her job if she was assaulted by a violent pimp or raped by a john, and she might fear being arrested if she goes to the cops. Also, having prostitution illegal supports an underworld where violent pimps can trap women. If it was legal, it would be easier for customers to give their business to a legit brothel instead. Street prostitutes would still exist and get business, but that field of prostitution would likely become less lucretive.
[/quote]

I agree..for the most part.Legalizing prostitution would certainly reduce a lot of the dangers involved,but not all.Whether it's legal or not i think prostitutes will always be more at risk to violence than most other professions(drunk men coming in off the street etc)...but certainly this risk would be reduced by having well run brothels with proper security.
However,there are a lot of infections/illnesses such as UTIs are recently being linked to increased/over average sexual activity-whether or not condoms are used.Correct me if im wrong but i think cervical cancer may be included among those.Prostitutes would certainly be at much greater risk than others in falling victim to these diseases.

All in all though i think the pros of legalising prostitution outweigh the cons-it just needs to be looked into very carefully before any final decision is made.



Last edited by NarcissaWeasley; May 17th, 2007 at 3:24 am.
  #134  
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:24 am
Daemon_in_a_Box  Undisclosed.gif Daemon_in_a_Box is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4739 days
Location: a Box
Posts: 491
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawa Lhamo View Post
Oh, you mean like models and athletes and movie stars?
Excellent point. Sex in itself is not a bad thing, nor is it immoral.

Also, I was hoping that someone would respond to my earlier post, I think it's an interesting point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon_in_a_Box View Post
Does prostitution only involve a direct exchange of money? Just wondering, because a lot of people will sleep with someone if offered expensive gifts (jewelry or a car, for example) or some other type of compensation (influence, social status, etc). In that sense, directly accepting money is simply cutting out the middle man.

If you want to sleep with someone, chances are you have to do something for that person to get you there.


__________________

What the...?

Last edited by Daemon_in_a_Box; May 18th, 2007 at 12:28 am.
  #135  
Old May 18th, 2007, 2:13 am
Dawa Lhamo  Female.gif Dawa Lhamo is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5519 days
Location: Kansas City
Age: 36
Posts: 447
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

lol, I consider trading sex for goods and services as the same as trading sex for money. Except it's easier to tax money. I'm astonished the government hasn't gotten in on this. ^_^

Of course, if that's true, then is it prostitution to trade sexual favors for sexual favors?


  #136  
Old May 18th, 2007, 3:05 am
Weazleby  Female.gif Weazleby is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4707 days
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 298
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Police officers. Fire fighters. Enlisting in the military. Stunt people. These are just a few examples of professions that can be dangerous.
Well, in those professions, one doesn't normally contract potentially fatal sexually transmitted diseases (and then turn around and infect another person, thus creating the potential for a pandemic). Prostitution is dangerous not only because of health reasons, but also because of the people involved (i.e. the criminal element). Drug use, rape, kidnapping, murder; all of those things are by-products of prostitution. And yes, I consider that dangerous.
Quote:
Why is prostitution wrong?
I believe sex to be a very intimate progression of a loving relationship, which prostitution certainly is not. While I don't agree with it, I still believe it necessary to protect women who make the decision to be a prostitute.
Quote:
I disagree however about prostitution being morally wrong.if no-one is being harmed in the process
Well, the point is useless when there are thousands of prostitutes contracting HIV or being sexually and physically abused as a result of their profession. My morals don't exactly correspond with the potential for human risk. Just because someone isn't harmed in the process, does not make it right. Setting this aside, I will repeat that I believe there is a need for regulating prostitution to make is safer.


__________________
[image removed by staff - too many pixels]

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
  #137  
Old May 18th, 2007, 3:24 am
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5273 days
Location: United States
Age: 31
Posts: 2,227
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Well, in those professions, one doesn't normally contract potentially fatal sexually transmitted diseases (and then turn around and infect another person, thus creating the potential for a pandemic). Prostitution is dangerous not only because of health reasons, but also because of the people involved (i.e. the criminal element). Drug use, rape, kidnapping, murder; all of those things are by-products of prostitution. And yes, I consider that dangerous.
If prostitution were legal, the government could mandate that prostitutes be licensed and get regular STD testing. I believe higher end prostitutes already do this, as a rule. While it's certainly risky to have sex, I believe that prostitutes, in many cases, would be more likely to get regular testing and exams than many other people, simply because it's their business and they're hopefully aware of the risks. I think the prostitutes who aren't safe are more likely the ones on the streets who may not have a full choice in their profession or the money/insurance to go to a doctor.


  #138  
Old May 18th, 2007, 7:36 am
Altjeringa  Female.gif Altjeringa is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5281 days
Location: Room of Requirement
Age: 33
Posts: 354
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Well, in those professions, one doesn't normally contract potentially fatal sexually transmitted diseases (and then turn around and infect another person, thus creating the potential for a pandemic). Prostitution is dangerous not only because of health reasons, but also because of the people involved (i.e. the criminal element).
No, police officers, fire fighters and soldiers only risk getting killed in horrible fashions.

Regarding STDs, as I said in that same post, the idea that prostitutes are at a significantly higher risk of contracting one is a media created myth. Prostitutes have lower rates of STDs than the promiscuous population.

Quote:
Drug use, rape, kidnapping, murder; all of those things are by-products of prostitution. And yes, I consider that dangerous.
Yes, these things are dangerous. Once again though, as I said in my previous post, they almost exclusively apply to street walkers, and contrary to popular belief street walkers only account for about 15% of American prostitutes.

Quote:
I believe sex to be a very intimate progression of a loving relationship, which prostitution certainly is not.
The key words here are "I believe". This is a subjective viewpoint that not everyone shares. I for one do not believe there is anything inherently special about sex - it's a biological function performed by all animals above sponges. The person you're doing it with can be special, but the act itself is not.

Quote:
Well, the point is useless when there are thousands of prostitutes contracting HIV or being sexually and physically abused as a result of their profession.
See above.

Quote:
Just because someone isn't harmed in the process, does not make it right.
Would you mind providing an objective reason for this statement?


__________________
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"


"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by Altjeringa; May 18th, 2007 at 7:41 am.
  #139  
Old May 18th, 2007, 7:56 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5876 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Well, in those professions, one doesn't normally contract potentially fatal sexually transmitted diseases (and then turn around and infect another person, thus creating the potential for a pandemic).
Leaving aside the fact that it is literally impossible to have a pandemic of an STD (lest I get spanked for semantic quibbling) health care and emergency workers are at a higher risk than most for contracting blood and fluid borne diseases.

Quote:
Prostitution is dangerous not only because of health reasons, but also because of the people involved (i.e. the criminal element).
The criminal element is involved primarily because it is illegal.

There also seems to be an insistence among some not to recognise posts stating that in most jurisdiction where the sex industry is legal it is regulated meaning regular checking for STD's and character checks on operators to keep out the criminal element.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
  #140  
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:42 am
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 5058 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 37
Posts: 6,435
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altjeringa View Post
Please explain why prostitution is immoral. Please also explain why a prostitutes - who harms nobody - is less worthy of respect than a politician, a lawyer or a businessman, all of whom engage in extremely unethical activities that often harm others.
I don't think prostitution is immoral because it involves sex, because I don't think sex is immoral. But sometimes prostitution can be immoral - like in Thailand, where prostitution is legal, a lot of girls and women enter into it only because this is the only way for them to live and support their families in the rural areas. Some families even sell their daughters to the brothel owners, and because prostitution is legal, it's very hard to say if a girl is into it because of her own free will, or because she was sold. And once she is soled, she has no option, because her family rely on her money. I read a book about it, and I can't wuite remember the details, but it seemed to me that in a country which makes a lot of profit from prostitution it's very hard to spot the consenting women from the victims. And nobody cares to investigate much, because, as it was written in that book, nowadays making a profit is good enough an excuse for taking up any activity, reagrdless of it's morality. (And I do feel using a woman's financial need to make money out of her is immoral.) So people justify brothel owners and such, and they don't mind new brothels opening, because that's just a business. Well, I think this is immoral.

I do think prostitution should be legalised, but I also feel it should not be encouraged, as it appears to be the case in Thailand. I mean, making a huge profit from sex tourism is NOT a justifiable reason for encouraging prostitution. Because selling your body is not exactly a pleasant thing to do, in my opinion, and if you ask prostitutes, I doubt any of them would want their daughters to follow in their footsteps, which speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Most women go into prostitution for the money (whether chased by need or just looking for some easy income), not because it's their ambition or hobby or something they enjoy doing, and this is evident from the test with the "Would you like your daughter to do the same" question.

All in all, I think that prostitution should be legalised, but also that some precautions should be taken so that possible encouragement would be avoided, and setting up big business in prostitution would not become appealing all of a sudden.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:32 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.