Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Ask the Staff v8

Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:23 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Ask the Staff v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioDobby View Post
Oh, thank you!

EDIT
Also, what is the US Political Discussion forum? No-one has ever posted in it and there is a password. What is it?
I don't think anyone has answered your question, so I'll try.

That forum, according to my understanding, is open only on an experimental invitation-only basis. It does not accept requests for membership. Password-required forums do not show post count from outside the forum, which is why you can't see how many posts have been posted in there.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:56 am
First Year

Why do you keep closing the Pottermore thread?? ):

Pottermore Username: ErisedWillow22
Proud to be a part of the Pottermore Battalion!
May the BloodSnitch have mercy on your soul...
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:01 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusXForever View Post
Why do you keep closing the Pottermore thread?? ):
Why do people break the rules?

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Why do you make stupid rules? Why should it matter what we talk about, it all relates back to Pottermore anyway.

Pottermore Username: ErisedWillow22
Proud to be a part of the Pottermore Battalion!
May the BloodSnitch have mercy on your soul...
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:13 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Why do you make stupid rules? Why should it matter what we talk about, it all relates back to Pottermore anyway.
No, it doesn't all relate to Pottermore. That's the problem.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:17 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Advice: If you have to argue with the staff, do it via pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
That forum, according to my understanding, is open only on an experimental invitation-only basis. It does not accept requests for membership. Password-required forums do not show post count from outside the forum, which is why you can't see how many posts have been posted in there.
Can't see posts, nor how many people are in it at any time. Very hush hush...(and in all honesty, you don't want to. It can get embarrassing in there.)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
My question is more this: if the people on the thread are answering any questions that come up and the topic is still pottermore/potter-centric, why close the thread? I mean, any time people had questions, they were answered and pottermore was generally the main topic. That is what confused me.

Probably going to be sorted as a Slyvendoff or maybe a SlyfenClaff...
May the Bloodsnitch have mercy on your souls.
"Adventure will always be given at the Pottermore Battalion to those who seek it"
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvisMist132 View Post
My question is more this: if the people on the thread are answering any questions that come up and the topic is still pottermore/potter-centric, why close the thread? I mean, any time people had questions, they were answered and pottermore was generally the main topic. That is what confused me.
I'm not a moderator, so I can't say for sure, but I believe it's because there's so many spammy posts and chit chat that no one can actually find any solid information. Also, the posts move so fast that it's very difficult to get a question answered and/or for the original asker to see the answer. It was very hectic last night, you must admit. For someone just entering the thread to find info about the time/clue, all those posts would be very overwhelming.

I also apologize to the mods for participating in the spam and chat last night. I knew better, and I completely understand why you closed it.

"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjellify View Post
I'm not a moderator, so I can't say for sure, but I believe it's because there's so many spammy posts and chit chat that no one can actually find any solid information. Also, the posts move so fast that it's very difficult to get a question answered and/or for the original asker to see the answer. It was very hectic last night, you must admit. For someone just entering the thread to find info about the time/clue, all those posts would be very overwhelming.

I also apologize to the mods for participating in the spam and chat last night. I knew better, and I completely understand why you closed it.
Ok, I can see how it was moving too fast... definitely that was true.

Probably going to be sorted as a Slyvendoff or maybe a SlyfenClaff...
May the Bloodsnitch have mercy on your souls.
"Adventure will always be given at the Pottermore Battalion to those who seek it"
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:42 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Right. CoS Forums are discussion forums, not spam forums.

All those posts about how long people stayed awake and 'Hi, I'm back!' do not serve any other purpose than to hinder any discussion about the factual topic.

To put it simple it's not about you, it's about Pottermore.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:53 am
First Year

Just to be clear, the place we should be chatting is the Halftime Chat in the Quidditch Pitch, correct? It's not a problem if that thread becomes overwhelmed with Pottermore/all-nighter talk?

Wait for Pottermore? I DID MY WAITING.
12 YEARS OF IT.
IN AZKABAN.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:03 am

That's the place where chatting is allowed, yes. But if it's used for spamming or other rule breaking we may be forced to close it.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:51 am
First Year

I also have a question about deleted posts...

I posted in this thread http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122510

my post was something along the lines of:
that I was enjoying the fact people were listing ships like draco/harry remus/sirius for a certain reason that i won't discuss, but it just makes me happy!

I didn't actually WRITE the social issue or anything about equality or anything that could be deemed as violating the family atmosphere. In fact I made that short statement and moved onto talk about a different ship.. however the post was deleted.

I just wanted to say that if you're going to delete my post about same-gender ships for being in violation of some ToS, then all posts related to same-gender ships should be deleted.

I'm not trying to nit-pick, but just because I was part of the chit chat yesterday (and have since tried to encourage people NOT to break the rules).. I don't want to have a target on my username while on this forum and "walk on eggshells" with every post. Common sense dictates certain things and when I'm corrected on an error, I comply. However, I was not Owl'd or anything about this.

Once again, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just looking for "across the board" treatment as well as clarification.

Thanks.

Pottermore Battalion: Louisiana division (who needs sleep?)

Sorted on Pottermore as a: SLYTHERIN!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 6:05 am

As I said a few posts above, CoS is a discussion forum, not a chat forum or a silly games forum.

The purpose of that thread is not to compete about who can come up with the most weirdest ship.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:53 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
I just thought I quote that again because you hit our reasons perfectly. And I'd like to point out that the thread was still growing a few pages every minutes yesterday although we deleted chitchat as fast as we could. This was 2/3 of the thread by time, but still people lost oversight in what was left and as such very valid, nice and fun discussion.

We all get your excitement - heck, we share it! It's just that the thread doesn't work when people don't take their time to actually think first before they post.

I totally get that every single one of you thinks 'Why? I just did one little funny remark, it adds to the spirit, that surely must be allowed...?'

Just currently a few hundred people post with the exact same intentions. The thread appears like a contest platform where those who make the most one-liners within two minutes will win.

Alas, they don't. We all lose, if this continues.

This is a privately lead forum with volunteer staff who spends their free time to moderate this board (currently: people who spend their free time to delete posts all day long - that is not half as funny or satisfying as it might look).
Current Pottermore traffic hits the border of what the server can bear a few times a day. That's the moments when we close the thread. That's the moments when we kick out (ban) the members who keep chitchatting although they were asked a few times to stop it.

We're not yet ready shut down the whole board because a few people aren't able to run by the rules, but use CoS as some sort of instant messenger. But we won't look at this for very much longer either.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:23 pm
First Year

hi i'm sorry if this has already been asked or the answer is really obvious and i missed it but how to you progress from first year to second year etc under your user name? is it as simple as being a member for over a year because i'm pretty sure i have been.

Thanks in advanced

'Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am.'
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Potter1991 View Post
hi i'm sorry if this has already been asked or the answer is really obvious and i missed it but how to you progress from first year to second year etc under your user name? is it as simple as being a member for over a year because i'm pretty sure i have been.

Thanks in advanced
It's determined by your post count. Look here for more info: Post / Year List

Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:04 pm
First Year

I don't know if this has been asked before- I've got an owl to join the Ravenclaw's Common Room (after I've got sorted) but I couldn't get in. Why?

Thanks in advance, Staff members

Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by christygirl1993 View Post
I don't know if this has been asked before- I've got an owl to join the Ravenclaw's Common Room (after I've got sorted) but I couldn't get in. Why?

Thanks in advance, Staff members
I'm not a mod, but it may be hard to spot, but if you go to the Ravenclaw room,on the right hand side, on the same line as Social Group, you should see Join Group.

One thing that helps me: right under where it says Chamber Of Secrets at the top of this page, you'll see a little book. If you click on it, you can change the colors on the page. It can make Join Group easier to spot.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; August 2nd, 2011 at 5:20 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:56 pm
First Year

Yes thank you! I finally got in

When you mentioned the word colour, I knew what's going on. I searched for the 'join group' link harder and found it.

Now I can hang out with the ravenclaws. Haha

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services