Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Harry Potter Remakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
Great to see it.

And what is/was missing (except Spinners End) it seemed fine to me (except Spinners End)
Thanks

What I'll try to do is find my drafts with my take on Spinner's End. If I remember correctly I was trying to be as vague as possible especially on Snape's behalf, but I'll make sure to post that as soon as I can find it. The reason why I took it out was because I thought, at the time, it gave to much away. After that chapter I knew Snape was up to something and I wanted the ending to come to a surprise in my Screenplay so I just got rid of it. Well here's Diagon Alley to Hogwarts Afterwards I'll explain why I did what I did aswell lol

EXT. DIAGON ALLEY-LATER THAT DAY

Mr. Weasley, Mrs. Weasley, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny walking down the streets of Diagon Alley. It doesn’t look the same however. It was empty, only a few familys where around. You see Ministry of Magic posters all around and black and white photos of Bellatrix Lestrange sneering on them. A lot of the familiar shops were boarded up and a few people were saleing things on the side of the streets. Then the scene fades too…

INT. MADAM MALKIN- SAME DAY

Harry, Ron, and Hermione walk into the shop and pause when they see Draco standing there in a mirror with Madam Milken knelt down threading Draco’s robs.

DRACO
I’m not a child, in case you haven’t noticed, Mother. I am perfectly capable of shopping alone! And watch where you’re sticking that pin, will you!

He looks in the mirror again and notices the trio standing in the doorway and smirks.

DRACO
If you’re wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in.

MADAM MALKIN
I don’t think there’s any need for language like that!
(She looks back and sees Harry and Ron both have their wands drawn)
And I don’t want wands drawn in my shop either!

HERMIONE
(Grabs both there arms)
No, don’t, it’s not worth it.

NARCISSA MALFOY walks from around the corner

NARCISSA
Put those away. If you attack my son I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do.

HARRY
Really? Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?

NARCISSA
I see that being Dumbledore’s favorite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won’t always be there to protect you.

HARRY
(He looks around the shop)
That’s funny…look at that…he’s not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!

DRACO
(He turns around suddenly)
Don’t you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!

NARCISSA
It’s alright Draco. I expect Potter will be reunited with Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius.
(Harry points his wand towards her face)

DRACO
Mother…I don’t think I want these robes anymore

NARCISSA
You’re right, Draco. Now I know the kind of scum that shops here…we’ll do better at Twilfitt and Tatting’s.

MADAM MALIKIN
Well, really!

Narcissa grabs Draco by the arm as he throws the robes in Madam Malkins face and they exit. Hermione, Ron, and Harry all look at each other as the scene cuts to the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry walking down the streets of Diagon Ally.

The camera goes past them to a shop which, compared to the one’s around it, was light and lively. In the window of the shop was a large sign that read “Why Are You Worrying About You-Know-Who? You Should Be Worrying About U-No-Poo- The Constipation Sensation That’s Gripping The Nation!” The camera pans back to them standing in front of the window as Mrs. Weasley grabs her chest.

MRS. WEASLEY
They’ll be murdered in their sleep!

They all walk into the shop and we see an assortment of gadgets and boxes. There are boxes labeled Skiving Snackboxes and Nosebleed Nougat. There are boxes of wans, quills which came in Self Inking and Smart Answer varieties. The camera s then pans to the front of the store where Fred and George are standing

FRED
Welcome

FRED AND GEORGE
To Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes!!

They both walk up and hug their mom and dad. Fred punches Ron on the arm as he walks past him.

HARRY
Nice place guys.

GINNY
(She looks at love potions)
Do these things work?

GEORGE
Certainly they work, for up to twenty-four hours at a time depending on the weight of the boy in question, and the attractiveness of the girl. But we’re not selling them to our sister, not when she’s already got about five boys on the go from what we’ve heard…

GINNY
(Irritably)
Whatever you’ve heard from Ron is a big fat lie.

FRED
Are you or are you not currently going out with a boy called Dean Thomas?

GINNY
Yes I am, what are those?

GEORGE
Pygmy Puffs, Miniature puffskeins, we can’t breed them fast enough. So what about Micheal Corner?

GINNY
I dumped him, he was a bad loser. They’re really cute!

FRED
They’re fairly cuddly, yes. But you’re moving through boyfriends a bit fast, aren’t you?

GINNY
It’s none of your business. And I’ll thank you
(She turns to look at Ron who just turned around the corner)
not to tell tales about me to these two!

RON
WHAT!

As they argue Harry looks out of the window and sees Draco Malfoy hurrying up the street alone. He looks over his shoulders and hurry’s out of view. Harry leans over to Hermione who is holding one of the Pygmy Puffs.

HARRY
Wonder where his mommy is?

EXT. KNOCKTURN ALLEY-MINUTES LATER

The scene cuts to Harry, Ron, and Hermione walking down the street in Harry’s invisibilty cloak. We see Draco take a turn down Knockturn Alley and the trio follows. They pause as Draco walkes in Borgin and Burkes. They walk up closley next to the door. They look in and see Malfoy talking to Mr. Borgin

HERMIONE
If only we could hear what they’re saying!

RON
We can. Hang out.
(He starts searching his pockets.)
Where are those damn things…oh here they are…Extendable Ears.

They put one part of the string in their ears and the camera follows the other ends of the string under the floor and across the floor of the shop and stop close to Malfoy and Borgin.

INT. BORGIN AND BURKES-MINUTES LATER

DRACO
You know how to fix it?

BORGIN
Possibly, I’ll need to see it, though. Why don’t you bring it into the shop?

MALFOY
I can’t. It’s got to stay put. I just need you to tell me how to do it.

BORGIN
Well without seeing it, I must say it will be a very difficult job, perhaps impossible. I couldn’t guarentee anything.

DRACO
No? Perhaps this will make you more confident.
(The camera cuts to Harry with a look of suspicion on his face so we never see what Draco gives him and then cuts back to Draco.)
Tell anyone and there will be retribution. You know Fenrir Greyback? He’s a family friend. He’ll be dropping in from time to time to make sure you’re giving the problem your full attention

BORGIN
There will be no need for…

DRACO
I’ll decide that. Not a word to anyone, Borgin, and that includes my mother, understand?

BORGIN
Naturally, naturally
(He bows and Draco turns around wand walks out of the shop right past them in the Invisibility Cloak)

EXT. DIAGON ALLEY-A FEW MINUTES LATER

The scene cuts to them walking out of Knockturn Alley and slowly back to Fred and George’s shop without the cloak.

HERMIONE
Yes, it was fishy Harry, but there could be a lot of explanations for what Malfoy was talking about.

HARRY
I know it’s just, Malfoy’s fathers in Azkaban. Don’t you think he’d like revenge?

RON
Revenge? What can he do about it?

HARRY
I don’t know! But he’s up to something and I think we should take it seriously. His fathers a Death Eater and….(His stops walking as his eyes widen and Hermione looks at him with a worried look)

HERMIONE
Harry? What’s wrong?

HARRY
He’s a Death Eater. He’s replaced his father as a Death Eater!

RON
(Laughing)
Malfoy? A Death Eater? Harry come on now!

HARRY
You guys don’t have to believe me, but I know somethings up with Malfoy and I’m going to find out what.

There is a sound of a train and

EXT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS-NOON

The scene cuts to a shot of the Hogwarts Express going down the track. The camera goes up and

INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS- NOON

Through the window into the compartment where Harry, Neville, and Luna are sitting.

LUNA
Are we still doing D.A. meetings this year, Harry?

HARRY
No point Luna, we’ve gotten rid of Umbridge.

NEVILLE
I liked the D.A. I learned loads from you!

LUNA
I enjoyed the meetings too. It was like having friends.

A group of girls open the compartment giggling and one steps inside towards Harry

ROMILDA
Hey Harry, I’m Romilda Vance. Why don’t you join us in our compartment? You don’t have to sit with them!

HARRY
Oh I don’t do I? Well they’re friends of mine!

ROMILDA
Why?
(She and her friends laugh)

NEVILLE
It’s ok Harry, you can go…

HARRY
No, these are my friends and I think you should go

ROMILDA
(Surprised)
Are you serious?
(Dissapointently)
Well…Oh, Oh Ok then
(She rushed out and closes the door)

LUNA
People expect you to have cooler friends than us.

HARRY
You are cool, none of them were at the Minsitry. They didn’t fight with me.

Luna and Neville both smile at Harry and he looks out of the window with a look of deep thought on his face.

NEVILLE
Are you alright Harry?

HARRY
Yeah, I’m fine…

LUNA
I don’t think so…maybe a Wrackspurt got you?

HARRY
I may regret asking this, but a what?

LUNA
Wrackspurt…they’re invisible. They float in through your ears and make your brain go fuzzy. I thought I felt one zooming around in here.

Luna starts flapping her hands around in mid air. Neville and Harry look at each other as if they’re trying to hold back a laugh and the compartment door opens and a young third year is standing there with an envelope.)

STUDENT
I’m supposed to deliver these to Neville Longbottom and Harry Potter.
(The students hands it to them and exits.)

NEVILLE
What is it?

HARRY
I dunno
(He opens up the letter and begins to read.)
Harry, I would be delighted if you would join me for a bite of lunch in compartment C. Sincerely, Professor H. E. F. Slughorn.

NEVILLE
Who’s Professor Slughorn?

INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS-SLUGHORNS COMPARTMENT-MOMENTS LATER

The scene cuts to Harry, Neville, Blaise Zabini, Ginny, Cormic MacLaggen and three other students sitting in the compartment. A large shiny head bald man with a silver mustache is also there with a great smile on his face.

SLUGHORN
Well now, this is most pleasant. Welcome you lot, I am Professor Slughorn, I’ve been asked to take up post in a missing spot at Hogwarts! I just called this meeting to get to know you all a little better. Can’t have to many connections eh?
(chuckles)

Harry, Neville, and Ginny all look at each other.

SLUGHORN
Ah Cormac McLaggen, I happen to know your Uncle Tiberius very well.

CORMAC
Do you sir?

SLUGHORN
Oh yes yes, splendid wizard he is. I’m sure no doubt you possess many of his varied talents yourself eh?

CORMAC
Well I must say I….

SLUGHORN
(looks off a notices Harry’s scar)
And you must be Harry Potter
(He grabs his hand and shakes it)
Pleasure it is

HARRY
Pleasure sir.

SLUGHORN
Where to begin with you Harry Potter? They’re calling you ‘The Chosen One’ now boy! Of course there have been rumors for years, I remember when…well after that terrible night…Lily...James…and you surivived and the word was that you must have powers beyond the ordinary…

Zabini gives a little cough and the other Slytherians in the room laugh.

GINNY
Yeah, Zabini, because you’re soooo talented…at posing…

SLUGHORN
Oh dear! You want to careful, Blaise! Saw this young lady perform the most marvelous Bat Bogy Hex as I was passing her carriage! I wouldn’t cross her.
(Chuckles)
Now Harry Harry, you look so much like your father. Except for your eyes, you’ve got…

HARRY
My mother’s eyes, yeah…I’ve heard.

SLUGHORN
Yes well….I taught your parents; yes Lily Evans was an excellent student. One of the brightest I ever taught, charming. I used to tell her that she ought to be in my House!

ZABINI
And what house is that sir?

SLUGHORN
Why Slytherian of course!

Zabini and the other slytherians in the room smile and Ginny rolls her eyes.

SLUGHORN
Your mother was muggle born of course, couldn’t believe it when I found out. Thought she must have been pure-blood, she was so good.

HARRY
One of my best friends is Muggle born and she’s the best in our year!

SLUGHORN
(Chuckles)
Yes, funny how that sometimes happens isn’t it?

HARRY
(coldly)
Not really…

SLUGHORN
You mustn’t think I’m prejudice! Your mother was one of my all time favorite students you know.

HARRY
I bet…

SLUGHORN
Heh, well…now on to you Zabini..how is your dear mother these days….

INT-HOGWARTS EXPRESS-HALLWAY-NIGHT

As Slughorn continues to talk Harry looks out of the window and the scene cuts to all the students exiting Slughorns cabin. Neville, Ginny, and Harry turn and walk down the aisle’s together

NEVILLE
I’m glad that’s over, strange man isn’t he?

GINNY
So what class d’you suppose he’s teaching?

HARRY
Probably Defense…
(Zabini bumps into Harry as he walks past towards the Slytherian compartment)
And what is he playing at anyways. He only invited people because of who they were connected to or who they know….except for you Ginny what did you…?

GINNY
Oh he saw me hex Zacharias Smith, he thought it was really good and invited me to lunch.

HARRY

Well better reason for inviting someone than because their mother’s famous or because their uncle….
(He pauses and continues to watch Zabini walk up the hall)
I’ll see you two later

NEVILLE
But what’re you…

(Harry pulls out his invisibility cloack and looks around to see if anyone’s looking and throws it over himself. He runs up behinds Zabini who opens the compartment and

INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS- SLYTHERIAN COMPARTMENT-NOON

They open their compartment and he slides in before they close it. Inside the room is Zabini, Goyle, Crabbe, Malfoy, and Pansy Parkinson. Before Zabini can sit down Harry jumps on his seat and jumps up into the luggage compartment and his foot comes from under the cloack for a quick second and he lies down.

ZABINI
What’s going on? (sitting down)

MALFOY
What did Slughorn want?

ZABINI
Just trying to make up to well connected people, not that he managed to find many. He invited Longbottom, Potter, and that Weasley girl!

MALFOY
He invited Longbottom? What’s Longbottom got to interest Slughorn? And Potter, obviously he wanted a look at ‘the Chosen One’ but that Weasley girl! What’s so special about her!

PANSY
A lot of boys like her, even you think she’s good looking don’t you Blaise?

ZABINI
I wouldn’t touch a filthy blood traitor like her whatever she looked like.

MALFOY
Pity, father always said Slughorn was a good wizard in his day, but it seems he’s gone a bit senile. Who cares who’s he’s interested in anyways, he’s just a stupid teacher. I mean I might not even be at Hogwarts next year….

ZABINI
Really?

DRACO
Well you never know, I might have moved on to bigger and better things.

PANSY
(Gasp)
Do you mean…him?

DRACO
Mother wants me to complete my education, but personally, I don’t see it as that important these days. When the Dark Lord takes over, is he going to care how many O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s anyone’s got?

ZABINI
And you think you’ll be able to do something for him? Sixteen years old and not even fully qualified yet?

DRACO
I’ve just said, haven’t I? Maybe the job he wants me to do isn’t something that you need to be qualified for. (Crabbe and Goyle look at each other.) I can see Hogwarts, we’d better get our robes on.

The scene cuts to show the train slowing down to stop. Everyone is leaving the compartment one by one. Draco then pauses and turns back around. He closes the door and lets down the blinds. He then points his wand to where Harry is hidden

DRACO
Petrificus Totalus!

We see Harry eyes widen as he is frozen and falls out of the compartment on the floor without his cloak. Draco is looking down on him smiling.

DRACO
I thought so, I saw something white flash through the air after Zabini came back. You didn’t hear anything I care about, Potter. But while I’ve got you here… (He stomps on Harry’s face. Blood is streaming from Harry’s noes.) That’s from my father. Now lets see….(He grabs the invisibility cloak and throws it over Harry.) I don’t reckon they’ll find you till the trains back in London. See you around Potter…or not.

Draco walks out of the compartment and slams the door and we see Harry trapped underneath the invisibility cloak unable to move. The train starts to move under him and we see and hand reached down and pulled the cloak off of him, and the camera pans to Tonks standing there.

TONKS
Wotcher Harry.
(She points her wand at him and a flash of red light hits Harry and he’s unfrozen.)
We’d better get out of here, quickly.

The scene cuts to…

EXT. TRAIN STATION- DUSK

Harry and Tonks walking from the train station and there is a shot of Hogwarts in the distance.

TONKS
Who did it?

HARRY
Draco Malfoy, Tonks thanks for….

TONKS
No problem, I can fix your nose if you stand still.
(She points her wand at his nose)
Episkey.

HARRY
Thanks.

TONKS
We can walk up to the school. (She waves her wand in the air and a silver four legged creature erupts from the wand and streaks off towards the castle) I’m sending word to the castle that I’ve got you.

HARRY
How did you find me?

TONKS
I noticed you hadn’t left the train and I knew you had the cloak. I saw the blinds drawn on that compartment so I thought I’d check.

HARRY
But what are you doing here, anyway?

TONKS
I’m stationed at Hogsmeade with Proudfoot, Savage, and Dawlish to give the school extra protection.

The scene fades to…

Ok so WHY did I leave the Draco Compartment thing in...dunno..I liked the scene. Also as you guys will see hopefully I have a beginning, middle, and end as it pertains to Harry/Draco's fight. As you have seen Fenrir will be in and like I said before this was before DH so ALOT will change lol. Would I cut it now..probably so. Also in this draft I wasn't sure how important Lupin/Tonks was and Bill/Fluer was. In my new one I will focus more on Lupin/Tonks, but in this one they're hinted at but it's not stated that they're together. The next time I post will be Great Hall until the end of the first Potions lesson I suppose.

Last edited by Phrozenone; September 30th, 2007 at 10:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I need help
ArryGrotter, I do like the change you made in the begining (putting in the snippet of Trelawneys prediction) but when you got to the scene outside the Dursleys house you started to do the same thing you did before; almost exactly copying the book word for word, bit by bit.
My suggestion is to SHORTEN this scene. You really dont need to have about 10 min. worth of film for delivering Harry. I dont think you need to have McGonagall say that even the muggles are noticing, its in their news. We already had a bit of the news- the movie watchers can see that the muggles have it on their tv.
Also, the discussion of saying LV v. you-know-who isnt needed because we learn about all that stuff later with Hagrid.
Just some tips, they may not be to your liking so if thats the case, I wont be offended for your rejection and sorry I couldnt be of more help.
Overall, your changes are better. I am the same kind of fan that is ticked off with the movies for lack of canon and stuff but cuts do need to be made. The original script was almost exactly the same thing as the book.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 6:08 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks15 View Post
ArryGrotter, I do like the change you made in the begining (putting in the snippet of Trelawneys prediction) but when you got to the scene outside the Dursleys house you started to do the same thing you did before; almost exactly copying the book word for word, bit by bit.
My suggestion is to SHORTEN this scene. You really dont need to have about 10 min. worth of film for delivering Harry. I dont think you need to have McGonagall say that even the muggles are noticing, its in their news. We already had a bit of the news- the movie watchers can see that the muggles have it on their tv.
Also, the discussion of saying LV v. you-know-who isnt needed because we learn about all that stuff later with Hagrid.
Just some tips, they may not be to your liking so if thats the case, I wont be offended for your rejection and sorry I couldnt be of more help.
Overall, your changes are better. I am the same kind of fan that is ticked off with the movies for lack of canon and stuff but cuts do need to be made. The original script was almost exactly the same thing as the book.
Thanks for the feedback!

I took it into consideration and have done some cuts
Here's the first half of that scene (still lengthy)

The first half of the arrival scene I am cutting:    

PS: Night time arrival Part 1 (The Boy Who Lived)…the cat which is still sitting on the brick fence. It is STIFF and LOOKING IN ONE DIRECTION. The camera then shows that the ROAD is DESERTED. It slowly lays to rests on one of the STREET LAMPS.

POP. Pause. Then a DIFFERENT POP as the lamp EXTINGUISHES. The camera CUTS BACK to the cat, which is now MOVING ITS HEAD. The lamp nearest the brick wall extinguishes with another POP. The camera then CUTS to an elderly man standing in the once deserted street, he is putting away an OBJECT WHICH LOOKS LIKE A CIGARETTE LIGHTER (DELUMINATOR). The man, Albus Dumbledore, sits next to the cat on the fence and, after a moment’s pause, speaks to it.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Fancy seeing you here, Professor McGonagall.

The camera turns to see that the cat is transforming into a woman in her late 50s, wearing a cloak.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
How did you know it was me?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
My dear Professor, I’ve never seen a cat sit so stiffly.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You’d be stiff if you’d been sitting on a brick wall all day.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
All day? When you could have been celebrating?

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(Angrily) Oh yes, everyone’s celebrating, all right. Even the Muggles have noticed something’s going on.

McGonagall points to the Dursley’s

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You can’t blame them. We’ve had had precious little to celebrate for eleven years.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
I know that, but it’s no reason to lose our heads. People are being downright careless, out on the streets in broad daylight, not even dressed in Muggle clothes, swapping rumours.

McGonagall pauses and looks at Dumbledore as if she wants him to say something.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
A fine thing it would be if, on the very day You-Know-Who seems to have disappeared at last, the Muggles found out about us all. I suppose he really has gone, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It seems so.

Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You know what everyone is saying? About why he’s disappeared?

Dumbledore says nothing.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What they’re saying is that night You-Know-Who turned up in Godric’s Hollow. He went to find the Potters. The rumour is that Lily and James Potter are, are, that they’re dead.

Dumbledore bows his head, McGonagall gasps.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Lily and James, I can’t believe it, I didn’t want to believe it, Oh Albus.

Dumbledore pats McGonagall on the shoulder.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I know, I know.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
That’s not all. They’re saying he tried to kill the Potter’s son, Harry. But, he couldn’t. He couldn’t kill that little boy. No one knows why, or how, but they’re saying that when he couldn’t kill Harry Potter, You-Know-Who’s power somehow broke, and that’s why he’s gone.

Dumbledore nods.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
It’s, it’s true? After all he’s done, all the people he’s killed, he couldn’t kill a little boy? But how in the name of heaven did Harry survive?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
We can only guess, we may never know.

Pause.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid’s late. I suppose it was he who told you I’d be here, by the way?

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Yes. And I don’t suppose you’re going to tell me why you’re here of all places?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I’ve come to bring Harry to his aunt and uncle. They’re the only family he has left now.

McGonagall is suddenly shocked.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You don’t mean… You can’t mean the people who live here? I’ve been watching them all day. You couldn’t find any other people who are less like us. Harry Potter come and live here!

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It’s the best place for him. His aunt and uncle will be able to explain everything to him when he’s older. I’ve written them a letter.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
A letter? Really Dumbledore, you think you can explain all this in a letter?

Dumbledore does not reply. Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
How is the boy getting here, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid’s bring him.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You think it … wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I would trust Hagrid with my life.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
I’m not saying his heart isn’t in the right place but you can’t pretend he’s not careless. He does tend to…

Suddenly, a RUMBLE is heard.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What was that?

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 4th, 2007 at 11:20 pm. Reason: Expand, fieldset
Old October 3rd, 2007, 1:39 am
Fourth Year

INT. THE GREAT HALL-NIGHT

…Harry walking into the Great Hall with the rest of the students. He sits down between Harry and Ron

HERMIONE
What happened?

HARRY
I’ll tell you later.

The camera pans to Dumbledore standing up and the hall goes silent.

DUMBLEDORE
To our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank You.
(There’s a laugh throughout the students as he turns to sit down and we hear McGonnagall clear her throat and throw a stern look at Dumbledore)
Oh right..
(He turns back around to the students.) Another year full of magical education awaits you…

HERMIONE
What happened to his hand?

RON
Dunno, but he seems to be off his nutter

HARRY
His hand was like that when I saw him over the summer. I thought he’d have cured it by now though….

HERMIONE
It looks as if it’s died. But there are some injuries you can’t cure…old curses…

DUMBLEDORE
We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year. Professor Slughorn is a former collegue of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master?

Everyone starts to look at each other in shock at the announced and Slughorn stands up and there is an applause .

RON
Potions?

DUMBLEDORE
Professor Snape, meanwhile, will be taking over the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

HARRY
No.... No it can’t be.

The Slytherian table stands up to clap as Snape raises his hand in acknowledgement

RON
Well there’s one good thing, Snape’ll be gone by the end of the year.

HERMIONE
What do you mean?

RON
The jobs jinxed. No one’s lasted more than a year.

HARRY
Lets keep our fingers crossed for a death…

HERMIONE
Harry!

DUMBLEDORE
Now, as everybody in this Hall knows, Lord Voldemort and his followers are once again large and gaining in strength. (The enitre hall goes silent). I cannot emphasize strongly enough how dangerous the present sitiuation is. I urge you all, to abide by any securtiy restrictions that your teacher might impose upon you. I trust you to conduct yourselves, always, with the utmost regrad for your own and others safety.

The scene fades amd cuts to…

EXT. DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS CLASSROOM-DAY

The students are sitting in their Defense Against the Dark Arts class talking amongst themselves. Snape storms into the room and some student proceed to take out their books.

SNAPE
I have not asked you to take out your books, I wish to speak to you, and I want your fullest attention. I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L in this subject, I shall be even more surprised if all of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T. work. The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever changing, and eternal. Your defenses must therefore be as flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo. These pictures give a fair reprensentation of what happens to those who suffer, for instance,
(He waves his hand and the screen in the front of the class shows a witch that is shrieking in agony)

the Cruciatus Curse
(there is a quick shot of Neville as he waves his hand again and we see a wizard lying on the ground with a blank expression)

feel the Dementors Kiss

(he waves his hand and there’s a bloody mass on the projector)

or provoke the agression of the Inferius. Now who here can tell me what an Inferi is?

He looks around and only Hermione raises her hand. He looks over her and continues to talk…

SNAPE
Since there is know one…Inferi are corpses. Dead bodies that have been bewitched to a dark wizard biddings.

PERVATI
Has an Inferius been seen, then? Is it definite, he is using them?

SNAPE
The Dark Lord has used Inferi in the past, which means you would be well advised to assume he might use them again. Now can someone tell me the advantage of using a nonverbal spell?

Hermione is the only one who raises her hand again. Snape looks around past her but knowone else is raising their hand. He sighs and turns back to Hermione.

SNAPE
Very well…Miss Granger?

HERMIONE
Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you’re about to perform, which gives you a split second advantage.

SNAPE
An answer copied almost word for word from The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Six.
(We see a shot of Malfoy and his friends laugh.)
But correct in essentials. Those who progress to using magic without shouting incantations gain an element of surprise in their spell casting. Not all wizards can do this, of course; it is a question of concentration and mind power which some...
(He looks at Harry) Lack. Now you will now divide into pairs. One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx in equal silence. Carry on.

The scene cuts to everyone in his or her pairs attempting to jinx the other. The camera pans to Ron who has a strained look on his face as he tries to jinx Harry.

RON
Bloody hell, this seemed so much easier when someone else does it…

HARRY
Just concentrate a little more or something

Ron strains his face again and a weird sounds shoots out of his wand and everyone in the class laughs. Snape frowns and walks swiftly over to them and looks at Ron in disgust.

SNAPE
Pathetic, Weasley. (He takes out his wand) Here…let me show you (Snape turns quickly and points his wand at Harry)

HARRY
PROTEGO!

The sheild reflects the spell throwing Snape backwards into his desk. He gets up angrily and walks towards Harry.

SNAPE
Do you remember me telling you we were practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?

HARRY
Yes.

SNAPE
Yes, sir.

HARRY
There’s no need to call me ‘sir,’ Professor

People gasp in the background

SNAPE
Detention, Saturday night, my office Potter. I do not take cheek from anyone…not even ‘the Chosen One’ Now you all get back to your lesson.

The camera zooms in to Harry and the scene fades to…

INT. HOGWARTS-FIRST FLOOR CORRIDOR-AFTERNOON

Harry, Ron, and Hermione walking down a hallway. There are a few students walking around holding hands and Ron frowns at one couple as they pass by.

HERMIONE
Harry what made you say that to him?

HARRY
He tried to jinx me, in case you didn’t notice! What’s Dumbledore playing at, anyway, letting him teach Defense? Did you hear him talking about the Dark Arts? He loves them! All that unfixed, indestructable stuff…

HERMIONE
I thought he sounded a bit like you when you were telling us what it’s like to face Voldemort. You said it wasn’t just about memorizing a bunch of spells.

RON
Yeah but still, I always knew Dumbledore was going off his rocker, and this just proves it. And now we have to take Potions again since Slughorn is excepting lower scores for the course…

A group of girls pass by and Lavender Brown waves at Ron with a smile on her face. He waves back and we see Herimione roll her eyes as Katie Bell comes running up behind them with a letter in his hand.

KATIE
Harry! Hey, Harry!
(She hands Harry the letter)
For you! Listen, congrats on making captian for the team. Tell me when you call trials!

HARRY
Don’t be stupid Katie, you don’t need to try out. I’ve watched you play for five years…

KATIE
You mustn’t start off like that, good teams have been ruined before because Captians just kept playing the old faces and letting in their friends. Gotta run though, see ya!

(Katie bows his head and runs off)

HARRY
(Opens the letter and reads)
It’s from Dumbledore, he wants me to meet him in his office on Saturday for the private lessons.

RON
Snapes not going to be pleased, you won’t be able to go to detention

HARRY
All the better then.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
I have a script that I've done for HBP
It's REALLY great to see someone else's script. Are you ready for some constructive criticism?

Spoiler: show
I think that your scenes are too cutty. Meaning that they suddenly end, and then they suddenly start somewhere else, and only if you read the book would you know how they got there. That's all for now.

You can give me criticism too.

Here's the next part of the 'Boy Who Lived' scene. Together, it's still lengthy.

The second half of the arrival scene I am cutting:    

PS: Night time arrival Part 2 (The Boy Who Lived)McGonagall and Dumbledore get of the brick wall and look down the deserted street. The rumble is getting LOUDER. When McGonagall finishes her search, she looks to Dumbledore, who is looking at the sky. A GIANT MOTORBIKE is landing. On the motorbike is RUBEUS HAGRID, an extremely large man in his early 50s. He gets off, carrying a bundle of blankets.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid. At last. And where did you get that motorbike?

RUBEUS HAGRID
Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir. Young Sirius Black lent it me. I got him sir.

Hagrid looks down at the blankets. A 1-year-old HARRY POTTER is sleeping inside them. Dumbledore addresses Hagrid.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
No problems, were there?

RUBEUS HAGRID
No, sir – house was almost destroyed, but I got him out all right before the Muggles started swarmin’ around.

Dumbledore and McGonagall observe the baby. It has BLACK HAIR and GREEN EYES. On its forehead is a CUT, SHAPED LIKE LIGHTNING.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Is that where…?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Yes. He’ll have that scar forever.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Couldn’t you do something about it, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Even if I could, I wouldn’t. Scars can come in handy. Well – give him here, Hagrid – we’d better get this over with.

Harry is passed from Hagrid to Dumbledore. The three of them turn to face number 4, sadness over all their faces.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Could I – could I say good-bye to him, sir?

Hagrid bends down and gives baby Harry a kiss, then lets out a saddened howl.

McGonagall pats Hagrid on the arm. Dumbledore makes his way to the FRONT DOOR of number 4 and lays Harry on the DOORMAT. Dumbledore then takes out a LETTER and tucks it in Harry’s blankets. Dumbledore walks back and the three of them stand silently for a while, staring at baby Harry.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Well, that’s that. We’ve no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Yeah, I best get this bike away. G’night, Professor McGonagall – Professor Dumbledore, sir.

Still moping up his tears, Hagrid gets back on the bike and departs.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I shall see you soon, I expect, Professor McGonagall.

McGonagall blows her nose in a way of reply. Dumbledore walks back out to road. He pulls out the Deluminator and clicks it once, all the street lights come back to life. He looks back at NUMBER FOUR, PRIVET DRIVE where a tabby cat can now be seen, slowly departing.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Good luck, Harry

Baby Harry turns in his sleep, clutching Dumbledore’s letter

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 4th, 2007 at 11:22 pm. Reason: Expand, fieldset
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:57 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
This is a thread where you can show how you would have scripted Harry Potter, or will, cause it's bound to be remade. Come and have a go!

So, I've been thinking. Harry Potter will be remade, no doubt about it. So I thought, what would the script be like? It would have to be differrent. So I tried, myself, making a script for PS. It's a VERY early draft (It includes everything) and only covers the first two chapters and abit of the third.

NB: The Post #6 version of this script,which had the most cuts, has been deleted. What was cut in the script is now in red on this script.

So when there is a remake, would this be a contender?
Well, that's pretty much an exact copy of the book, down to the line. They can't make the opening chapters 30 minutes! The real movie would be 7 or 8 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Shoes View Post
I wrote this a couple weeks ago. I worked on it for about an hour and couldn't believe that it took so long just to write like a minute and half of a movie, so I gave up. I don't like it nearly as much now as much as I did when writing, but I thought I'd post it anyway, since it took so long. It might be a little violent, by the way.
But that's not how it happens. I think you should use Chapter 17, Bathilda's Secret, in Dh, to do that.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
Well, that's pretty much an exact copy of the book, down to the line. They can't make the opening chapters 30 minutes! The real movie would be 7 or 8 hours.
I figured that out myself. So I made a new one, veiwable here, here, here and here (Posts 12, 13, 23 and 25).

As you can see, I am struggling at the arrival of Harry: I want to make it short, but I want to have lots of information in it.

Old October 4th, 2007, 1:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
But that's not how it happens. I think you should use Chapter 17, Bathilda's Secret, in Dh, to do that.
Like I said a couple of posts later, I don't really remember what happened and in fact I didn't even remember that it was shown in DH. I was just writing it for fun and didn't really care about contradicting anything.

I guess I'll go re-read chapter 17 though. Now I'm curious.

edit: well, it's pretty much exactly the same, isn't it? voldemort shows up unexpected, james tells lily to protect harry, gets killed, voldemort goes upstairs, kills lily and then tries to kill harry. i just added some fire.

Last edited by Paper_Shoes; October 4th, 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old October 4th, 2007, 1:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Shoes View Post
Like I said a couple of posts later, I don't really remember what happened and in fact I didn't even remember that it was shown in DH. I was just writing it for fun and didn't really care about contradicting anything.

I guess I'll go re-read chapter 17 though. Now I'm curious.

edit: well, it's pretty much exactly the same, isn't it? voldemort shows up unexpected, james tells lily to protect harry, gets killed, voldemort goes upstairs, kills lily and then tries to kill harry. i just added some fire.
The thing that struck me as completely different was they had wands.

---
Here are a couple of scenes I've been thinking about for the past week:

The first is form DH, the start of King's Cross:
DH: King's CrossThe camera zooms in on Harry’s head, lying face down. And…

…the scene fades. Harry is still lying in the same position and place. Slowly Harry wakes up.

The surrounds are cloudy and misty. Harry moves nothing but his eyes, lying their gracefully.

He reaches out an arm to feel the mist he is lying on. He pushes it, it springs back a little. He suddenly notices his arm is bare and looks at the rest of his body, taken a back. Suddenly robes materialize on him out of nowhere.

He decides to stand up. The place still looks like a cloud, but as he finally is on his feet, a room start to form.

The second will be in OotP, when Harry's breaking stuff (it's forshadowing, see if you can work it out)

OotP: The Lost ProphecyHarry throws a triangular object to the floor. The triangular pyramid, which forms the outside, breaks open, and a round ball falls off the pole, hitting a leg of one of the tables and breaking. Dumbledore seems intrigued by this last breakage.

---
Update on the Harry arrival scene:
It's gone from 6 pages to 4 and a half. I think I'm happy with it now, but I haven't changed around the written stuff, just the dialogue, so it may come out as 5 pages

I put the Shreiking Shack scene from PoA in the same format as I do and it came out as 7 pages, so maybe some of these big scenes can be long.

When I write the graveyard scene in GoF, that will probably be 20 pages won't it, cause that's, what, 4 chapters long in the book

---
Yeah, it's ended up as 5 pages
Here's the full scene

PS: Night time arrival (The Boy Who Lived)5 – INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1/11/1981

Vernon is lying in his BED, deep in thought. He shrugs of his thoughts and goes to sleep. The camera PASSES THROUGH THE WINDOW to…

6 – EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1-2/11/1981

…the cat which is still sitting on the brick fence. It is STIFF and LOOKING IN ONE DIRECTION. The camera then shows that the ROAD is DESERTED. It slowly lays to rests on one of the STREET LAMPS.

POP. Pause. Then a DIFFERENT POP as the lamp EXTINGUISHES. The camera CUTS BACK to the cat, which is now MOVING ITS HEAD. The lamp NEAREST THE BRICK WALL extinguishes with another POP. The camera then CUTS to an ELDERLY MAN (ALBUS DUMBLEDORE) standing in the once deserted street, he is putting away an OBJECT WHICH LOOKS LIKE A CIGARETTE LIGHTER (DELUMINATOR). Dumbledore sits next to the cat on the fence and, AFTER A MOMENT’S PAUSE, turns and speaks to it.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

THE CAMERA TURNS to see that the cat is TRANSFORMING INTO A WOMAN in her LATE 50S, WEARING A CLOAK.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
My dear Professor, I’ve never seen a cat sit so stiffly.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(Angrily) Oh yes, everyone’s celebrating, all right. Even the Muggles have noticed something’s going on.

McGonagall points to NUMBER FOUR, PRIVET DRIVE

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You can’t blame them. We’ve had had precious little to celebrate for eleven years.

Pause. McGonagall seems angry.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
A fine thing it would be if, on the very day You-Know-Who seems to have disappeared at last, the Muggles found out about us all. (Pause) I suppose he really has gone, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It certainly seems so.

Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Dumbledore says nothing.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What they’re saying is that night You-Know-Who went to Godric’s Hollow to find the Potters. The rumour is that Lily and James Potter are… are… that they’re dead.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Lily and James, I can’t believe it.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I know, I know.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(Sniffing) That’s not all. They’re saying he tried to kill their son, Harry. But, he couldn’t. (Pause) No one knows why, or how, but they’re saying that when he couldn’t kill Harry Potter, You-Know-Who’s power somehow broke, and that’s why he’s gone.

Dumbledore nods.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
It’s… it’s true? After all the people he’s killed, he couldn’t kill a little boy? But did Harry survive?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Pause.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I’ve come to bring Harry to the only family he now has left.

McGonagall is confused, but not for long, as Dumbledore looks up at 4 Privet Drive, and McGonagall is suddenly shocked.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You can’t mean the people who live here? You couldn’t find any other people who are less like us. Harry Potter come and live here!

Dumbledore speaks reasonably calm.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It’s the best place for him. His aunt and uncle will be able to explain everything to him when he’s older. I’ve written them a letter.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Dumbledore still looks at the house and does not reply. Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid’s bring him.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You think it (Pause) wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?

Dumbledore turns on McGonagall, but speaks calm.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
I’m not saying his heart isn’t in the right place but…

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What was that?

McGonagall and Dumbledore get of the brick wall and look down the deserted street. The rumble is getting LOUDER. When McGonagall finishes her search, she looks to Dumbledore, who is looking at the sky. A GIANT MOTORBIKE is landing. On the motorbike is RUBEUS HAGRID, an EXTREMLY TALL MAN (HALF-GIANT) in his EARLY 50S. He gets off, carrying a BUNDLE OF BLANKETS.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

RUBEUS HAGRID
Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir. Young Sirius Black lent it me. (Pause) I got him sir.

Hagrid looks down at the blankets. A 1-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER is sleeping inside them. Dumbledore addresses Hagrid.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
No problems, were there?

RUBEUS HAGRID
No, sir – house was almost destroyed, but I got him OK.

Dumbledore and McGonagall observe the baby. It has BLACK HAIR and GREEN EYES. ON ITS FOREHEAD is a CUT, SHAPED LIKE LIGHTNING.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Is that where…?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Couldn’t you do something about it, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Even if I could, I wouldn’t. Scars can come in handy. (Pause) Well, we’d better get this over with.

Harry is passed from Hagrid to Dumbledore. The three of them turn to face number 4, sadness over all their faces.

RUBEUS HAGRID

Hagrid bends down and gives baby Harry a kiss, then lets out a saddened howl. McGonagall pats Hagrid on the arm. Dumbledore makes his way to the FRONT DOOR of number 4 and lays Harry on the DOORMAT. Dumbledore then takes out a LETTER and tucks it in Harry’s blankets. Dumbledore walks back and the three of them stand silently for a while, staring at baby Harry.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Well, that’s that. We’ve no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations.

RUBEUS HAGRID
Yeah, I best get this bike away. G’night, Professor McGonagall – Professor Dumbledore, sir.

Still moping up his tears, Hagrid gets back on the bike and departs. IN A WAY OF REPLY, Dumbledore says…

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Professor McGonagall

McGonagall simply blows her nose. Dumbledore walks back out to road. He pulls out the Deluminator and clicks it once: ALL THE STREET LIGHTS COME BACK TO LIFE. He looks back at 4 Privet Drive where a TABBY CAT can now be seen, slowly departing.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Good luck, Harry

Baby Harry turns in his sleep, clutching Dumbledore’s letter

---
So I'm moving on. I now have 7 pages of Dudley's Birthday/Snake incident I want to make 4 or 5. And I'm meant to be writing a speech...

---

I've been trying to make the thread easier to read, as the posts are REALLY long, but they need to be.

I was searching the FAQs to find something useful and found these. They are really helpful at shortening the thread, yet keeping everything there, I suggest you use them.

Quote:
Collapsible Box:
Will put your content in an expandable/collapsable container with the caption at the top of the container.
Usage: (expand=Option)value(/expand)
NB: Change () to []
Example Usage: (expand=caption)content(/expand)
Example Output:
caption:    

content  

Fieldset :
Usage: (fieldset=Option)value(/fieldset)
Example Usage: (fieldset=Harry Potter)This book rocks!(/fieldset)
Example Output:
Harry PotterThis book rocks!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 4th, 2007 at 10:37 pm. Reason: Fieldset
Old October 5th, 2007, 2:07 am

The next scene which I am having trouble cutting:    

Edit: I've added the next part as well as I've decided I'll do them both at the same time.
PS: The Vanishing Glass, The Letters From No OneCUT TO DARKNESS. Suddenly a shrill voice is heard.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Up! Get up! Now!

7 – INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

A 10-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER wakes. It is heard that Petunia leaves and muddles around in the kitchen. Harry turns on his side. Through Harry’s POV muffled visions of a flying motorbike can be seen in front of the wall. Suddenly, Petunia voice can be heard again.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Get a move on; I want you to look after the bacon. Don’t you dare let it burn, for Duddy’s birthday!

Harry groans and falls back onto his bed.

8 – INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

Harry is now serving the BACON to Vernon. Petunia (in her 30s too) and DUDLEY DURSLEY, an obese, blond, 11-year-old, enter. Dudley finishes counting the presents, but is displeased.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Thirty-six. That’s two less than last year.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Darling, you haven’t counted Auntie Marge’s present.

She points to the smallest present.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
See, it’s here under this big one from Mummy and Daddy.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
All right, thirty-seven then.

Dudley gets angry. His hands are both on the table. Harry takes his plate to the kitchen and continues to eat there.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And - And we’ll buy you another two presents while we’re out today. How’s that, popkin? Two more presents. Is that all right?

Dudley looks like he is concentrating really hard.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
So I’ll have thirty … thirty…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
…nine, sweetums

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Oh. All right then.

And he begins to unwrap his presents. Vernon chuckles. The. TELEPHONE suddenly RINGS. Petunia goes to answer it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Little tyke wants his money’s worth, just like his father. ‘Atta boy, Dudley!

He ruffles Dudley’s hair, but Dudley isn’t paying attention. He has just unwrapped a REMOTE CONTROL AEROPLANE and has dived for another present.

None of the telephone conversation is heard. Harry just continues eating and Dudley rips the wrapping of a cine-camera and a computer game. Petunia eventually comes back, both angry and worried.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Bad news, Vernon. Mrs Figg’s broken her leg. She can’t take him.

Petunia jerks her head towards the kitchen, where Harry is eating. Dudley finally looks up, his mouth open in horror; ripping the wrapping he had just been holding as he does so, showing a gold wrist-watch.

Petunia and Vernon hold a conversation, ignoring the children, mainly Harry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Now what?

VERNON DURSLEY
We could phone Marge.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Don’t be silly, she hates the boy.

Harry speaks up

HARRY POTTER
You could just leave me here.

Petunia suddenly turns on Harry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And come back and find the house in ruins?

HARRY POTTER
I won’t blow up the house.

Petunia speaks the next words slowly

PETUNIA DURSLEY
I suppose we could take him to the zoo …

Suddenly a loud wailing noise is heard. Dudley has begun to fake cry.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Dinky Duddydums don’t cry.

And she hugs her son.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
I … don’t … want … him … t-t-to come! He always sp-spoils everything!

Dudley gives Harry a nasty grin through his mother’s arms. Suddenly the doorbell rings. Petunia lets go of Dudley and he stop to cry at once.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Oh, good Lord, they’re here!

She and Dudley rush to the front door. Vernon stays with Harry, making up his mind.

VERNON DURSLEY
Well, you’ve managed to get your way. But, (Pause) I’m warning you now, boy (Pause) any funny business, anything at all and you’ll be in that cupboard for a month.

HARRY POTTER
I’m not going to do anything, honestly…

But Harry can’t seem to be able to mean the last word. As the sentence completes, the camera zooms in on Harry and a series of flashbacks begin.

9 – INT. A SCHOOL CLASSROOM - MIDDAY

The TEACHER’S WIG is suddenly TURNED BLUE.

10 – INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE

Petunia tries to force a JUMPER over Harry’s head. It shrinks and shrinks until it is so small it would fit a glove puppet.

11 – EXT. SCHOOL - LUNCHTIME

Dudley, Piers and some other of HIS GANG are chasing Harry. Harry tries to jump behind a BIN, but finds himself on the ROOF.

12 – INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

We return to the original scene, and Harry is rather unsettled

13 - INT. / EXT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – MID-MORNING - 23/6/1991

BRRRMMM. A motorbike overtakes the DURSLEY’S CAR.

VERNON DURSLEY
…roaring along like maniacs, the young hoodlums.

HARRY POTTER
I had a dream about a motorbike. It was flying.
Vernon nearly crashes into the car in front. He turns around in his seat to look at Harry

VERNON DURSLEY
MOTORBIKES DON’T FLY!

Dudley and Piers s******.

HARRY POTTER
I know they don’t.

Harry looks out the window. The camera LOOKS IN ON HIM

HARRY POTTER
It was only a dream.

CUT TO:

14 - INT. REPTILE HOUSE - THE ZOO – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

The camera PANS DOWN to a GLASS CAGE of the LARGEST SNAKE, a BOA CONSTRICTOR. It is fast asleep. Dudley runs up to it and presses his nose against the glass, frowns, then turns to his father.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make it move.

Vernon taps on the glass, but the snake doesn’t move.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Do it again.

Vernon taps the glass the glass again, but still nothing happens

DUDLEY DURSLEY
This is boring.

And he moves away, Harry, however, stays looking in on the snake relating to it.

HARRY POTTER
It must be really annoying.

.The snake then opens its eyes and slowly raises its head so that it is level with Harry’s. The snake nods. Harry looks around, then back at the snake. Pause.

HARRY POTTER
Where do you come from, anyway?

The snake points its tail at the SIGN next to the glass. It reads ‘Boa Constrictor, Brazil.’

HARRY POTTER
Was it nice there?

The snake points again to the sign. Beneath it is a SMALLER SIGN. It reads ‘This specimen was bred in the zoo.’

HARRY POTTER
Oh, I see.

A loud shout is suddenly heard from behind…

PIERS POLKISS
DUDLEY! MR DURSLEY! COME AND LOOK AT THIS SNAKE! YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT IT’S DOING!

Dudley rushes up to the snake’s cage.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Out of the way, you.

And he punches Harry in the ribs. Harry falls onto the CONCRETE FLOOR. Piers and Dudley lean right up to the glass then suddenly they become unsteady as the GLASS DISAPPEARS. The snake uncoils itself and slithers out of its cage, onto the floor. People scream and run for the exits. The snake goes past Harry (on the floor) and a voice can be heard…

SNAKE
Brazil, here I come … Thanksss, amigo.

And it slithers out the door; Harry follows it with his eyes, a little confused.

15 – INT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

The Dursleys, Harry and Piers are all in the Dursley’s car, all looking a little scared and lost for words, except Dudley and Piers

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Did you see how it nearly bit off by leg? But I shook it off…

PIERS POLKISS
I swear it was trying to squeeze me to death.

The car stops at traffic lights as Piers suddenly turns on Harry.

PIERS POLKISS
Harry was talking to it, weren’t you, Harry?

Harry is lost for words. Vernon turns and looks at Harry with menace over his face.

16 – INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 23/6/1991

VERNON DURSLEY
Go – cupboard – stay – no meals

Vernon pushes Harry into his cupboard. Harry lies in bed, but doesn’t go to sleep.

Remembered voices echo in his head.

(YOUNG) HARRY POTTER (OV)
How did I get my scar?

PETUNIA DURSLEY (OV)
In the car crash when your parents died. And don’t ask questions

The room is suddenly filled with green light, as though Harry is remembering it.

FADE TO BLACK

The scene numbers are wrong on the rest, I'll change them later. There might be other mistakes
Edit: I realised the above numbers are wrong, as I forgot about the omitted scenes, oops

27B INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Harry is now eating A SINGLE PIECE OF TOAST at the KITCHEN TABLE. Vernon is carrying the newspaper. He unfolds it and begins to read it when he is seated. Dudley is carrying his SMELTINGS STICK. He places this next to the large serving of BACON AND EGGS he was just given by Petunia. She places Vernon’s on the table, and as she is just about to return to the kitchen, the NOISE OF LETTERS DELIVERED is heard. Petunia stops dead for a slight moment, then continues back to the kitchen.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make Harry get it.

Vernon takes down the newspaper and notices for the first time that Harry is in the room.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry.

HARRY POTTER
Make Dudley get it.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Poke him with your Smelting stick, Dudley.

And Dudley, happy for an excuse to use it, reaches for his Smeltings stick, while shovelling food in with his other hand. He turns around and finds Harry has already gone past.

28 INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Harry walks to the pile of letters lying on the MAT glumly. He picks them up and they are shown to the audience: A POSTCARD SHOWING ISLE OF WIGHT AND A FAT WOMAN, AUNT MARGE, WHO LOOKS LIKE VERNON; A BILL; and A LETTER OF YELLOW PARCHMENT WITH THE WORDS: Mr H. Potter, The Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey WRITTEN ON IN GREEN INK. Harry stares at the letter, it is unbelievable. He turns it over to see A COAT OF ARMS FORMED BY A LION, EAGLE, BADGER AND SNAKE AROUND AN ‘H’ ON A PURPLE WAX SEAL. Then…

VERNON DURSLEY (OV)
Hurry up, boy! What are you doing, checking for letter bombs?

Vernon chuckles at his own joke. Harry is out of his trance and motions towards the door.

29A INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Harry walks back in, still staring at his letter. It is separate to the bill and postcard now and he hands this to Vernon, who is still behind the newspaper.

VERNON DURSLEY
Marge’s ill. (speaking to Petunia) Ate a funny whelk…

But he is cut off by Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Dad! Dad, Harry’s got something!

Harry is shown to be just about to be unfolding the LETTER inside, but it is forced away my Vernon.

HARRY POTTER
That’s MINE!

He tries to snatch it back.

VENON DURSLEY
Who’d be writing to you?

Petunia looks at Harry and the letter, looking as though she thinks she knows this answer, but at the same time doesn’t want to know the answer. Vernon opens the letter and on first glance is frozen, and terrified.

VERNON DURSLEY
P-P-Petunia!

Dudley reaches this time. Harry just looks confused. Petunia, thinking she knows what it is, takes it from Vernon. She reads it for about 2 seconds and when she finishes, she looks as though she is about to faint, but chokes a few words.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Vernon! Oh my goodness – Vernon!

They stare at each other. Dudley gives Vernon a hit on the head with his Smeltings stick for being ignored.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
I want to read that letter!

HARRY POTTER
I want to read it, as it’s mine.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get out, both of you

He stuffs the letter in his pocket. Neither move.

HARRY POTTER
I WANT MY LETTER!

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Let me see it!

VERNON DURSLEY
OUT!

Vernon chucks them out of the room.

29B INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Vernon slams the door in their faces. Harry and Dudley have a silent fight over the keyhole.

29C INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

She looks down at the envelope that she is now holding, and addresses Vernon.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Vernon, look at the address – how could they possibly know where he sleeps? You don’t think they’re watching the house?

VERNON DURSLEY
Watching – spying – might be following us.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But what should we do, Vernon? Should we write back? Tell them we don’t want…

29D INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Harry is lying on his stomach listening through the crack under the kitchen door. The light shifts around in the crack, and a shot shows feet pacing.

29E INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Vernon stops pacing

VERNON DURSLEY
No. No, we’ll ignore it. If they don’t get an answer … yes, that’s best … we won’t do anything…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But…

29F INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

The camera zooms into a confused Harry.

VERNON DURSLEY (OV)
I’m not having one in the house, Petunia! Didn’t we swear when we took him in we’d stamp out that dangerous nonsense?

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 5th, 2007 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Addition
Old October 5th, 2007, 2:33 am
Second Year

I love the rewrite, good job. Its much better. I will read the next scene you just posted tomorrow, I dont have time to do it now.

Old October 5th, 2007, 2:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks15 View Post
I love the rewrite, good job. Its much better. I will read the next scene you just posted tomorrow, I dont have time to do it now.
Thanks.

I think I'm too protective of my work. Once I've written it I don't want it to go. But something has to or it will be nearing 4 or 5 hours. I'm fine with 3 hours, but would prefer the shortest with the most in it. It's going to be horrible when I try scripting OotP.
---
I decided to leave the Vanishing Glass for the moment and am now trying to cut the letter arrival scene. It's funny because I told myself that I would have scenes in between them unlike 2001-PS-Film, but I've cut the desruction of Dudley's toy's, I've cut Mrs Figg, I've cut the uniforms and any mention of Dudley's or Harry's schools (should that go back in?).

All together I've cut 3 pages of scenes in between these two.

---
I decided to compare timings with the 2004-PoA script I have in the same format.

By the time 'The Boy Who Lived' is over, Harry's on the Knight Bus.
Harry meets Ron and Hermione the same time he meets the snake.
Dementors are attacking by the time the Petunia and Vernon finish their talk about the letter.

Though, I always think the beginning of the HP films have been rushed
---
On a bright note, I've gone from 26 pages to 18 for up to the first letter.

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 5th, 2007 at 5:49 am. Reason: Bright note
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Second Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Remake Harry Potter

Phrozenone, you write the scenes nicely but some of the scenes you included are ABOLUTELY POINTLESS. Why bother with Igor Karkaroff? He has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the plot, it is just a waste of screen time in my opinion. I would have include Spinner's End instead, or write a more relevant scene.

The Dursleys - the scene is much TOO LONG, and include some absolutely pointless pieces of dialog. For example, I would have cut Kreacher and Grimmauld Place all together... and Dumbledore talking at the end is too long.

Later, why bother with OWLs results? They have nothing to do with the plot of the book. I would also cut both Bill & Fleur, but this is a much harder choice. Again, CUT KARKAROFF, his mentions is pointless.

I would cut Quidditch, cut the Madam Malkin shop scene, and as much as I like her - cut Luna Lovegood too. She'll come back in DH.

I found a old HBP scripts I've written. They are very old and not that good, but here it is if you're interested... might have cut too much, though. I have two versions of the opening - Spinner's End and a new scene.

----------------------

FIRST OPENING
EXT. A MUGGLE STREET, NIGHT

Music begins. A shot of a dark town from above. The camera delay on a street: someone is moving there.

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
AVADA KEDAVRA!

A shot of green light; The man is falling down down, dead. Two womans get out from behind the bush. It is Bellatrix and Narcissa. Bellatrix kneeling over the body.

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
Just a muggle, I though perhaps an auror... Cissy, wait!

Narcissa start walking.

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
It is a betrayel of the dark lord!

NARCISSA MALFOY
That’s my son! You don’t understand, Bella, you never had sons...

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
Narcissa Malfoy, don’t do it! The Dark Lord ordered you not to!

NARCISSA MALFOY
Leave me alone. I’ve done my desicion!

The two womans reach a house. Narcissa knocks on the door: it opens and we see Severus Snape standing in there.

INT SNAPE’S HOUSE

SEVERUS SNAPE
Narcissa, Bellatrix, what a suprise! Come in...

NARCISSA MALFOY
I need to talk to you, Snape. Are we alone?

SEVERUS SNAPE
Yes, we are quite alone. What is it, Narcissa?

NARCISSA MALFOY
The Dark Lord has forbidden me to talk about it, but...

SEVERUS SNAPE
Then you should shut your mouth!

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
You see? Even he say you can’t speak on the Dark Lord secret plans for anyone!

SEVERUS SNAPE
However... I already know the plan.

Little silence.

NARCISSA MALFOY
I know you would! The Dark Lord trust you so much!

SEVERUS SNAPE
Well... what do you need me to do?

NARCISSA MALFOY
My son! My only son!

SEVERUS SNAPE
I can’t change the Dark Lord’s mind, if that’s what you’re asking. He already decided: Draco will do it.

Narcissa start crying.

NARCISSA MALFOY
But why? He is too young! He will never make it! And... The Dark Lord does not want him to succeed, right? He want him to die trying, as a revenge for Lucios failure!

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
You should be proud! Your son is about to do a very important mission, and...

NARCISSA MALFOY
I don’t care it’s important! He will die! He’s too proud to ask for help! You can help him, Severus...

SEVERUS SNAPE
I can try, but...

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
Of course, he’ll try, but he can’t promise! Bet he has some excuse...

NARCISSA MALFOY
No, he means it! Will you please swear it? Will you make the Unbreakable Vow?

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE
What? You are asking him to vow on his own lives? You know how the vow works, don’t you? If he’ll break it, he’ll die!

Silence. Close up of Narcissa desprate face, then to Bella’s face, and finally, Snape’s face.

SEVERUS SNAPE
Yes, Narcissa, I am prepared to make the Unbreakable Vow.

NARCISSA MALFOY
Thank you, Severus. Come here...

She takes out her wand, and take Snape's hand.

NARCISSA MALFOY
Severus Snape, will you look after my son and try to help him?

SEVERUS SNAPE
I will.

NARCISSA MALFOY
Will you do everything in your power to protect him from any harm?

SEVERUS SNAPE
I will.

NARCISSA MALFOY
And... shall it seems he'll fail... Will you carry on the deed the Dark Lord ordered him to perform?

SEVERUS SNAPE
I will.

A great flaming snake emerges from Narcissa's wand, going around Snape, and straight into the camera. We then see the sky, where a text appears:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

ALTERNATIVE OPENING

1 EXT. VILLAGE, RAINY AND DARK DAY

A few shots of STREETS with houses. Some of the houses are ruined down. The DARK MARK is visible far in the sky. A few DE’s are visible around the corner, wearing masks and black robes so their face can’t be seen. They run to a house and blast it with a spell.

2 INT. A HOUSE.

DEs are inside, pointing their wand on somewhere in the apartment.

DE1, has a cold and scary voice.
Search the house. Now!

The other run to the rooms. DE1 stays in his place.

RANDOM DE
He’s here, master!

DE1
Good. Bring him to me.

The DEs are returning to the hall, forcing Horace Slughorn to come with them.

DE1
Leave, all of you. Me and him will have a little
chat.

The others leave. DE1 take off his mask. It is Lord Voldemort.

VOLDEMORT
Remember me, Old Sluggy?

Silence. Slughorn is looking scared.

VOLDEMORT
You used to teach me when I was young, remember? I
pretended to respect you. The pathetic part is that
you actually believed it.

Another silence. A close up on Voldemort’s face. Show a quick shot of teenage Voldemort. Slughorn is still looking scared.

VOLDEMORT
But in the end, it was worth to do all this,
remember? You gave me information. Very important
information.

Slughorn is speaking at last.

SLUGHORN
No! Please don’t kill me, I will do anything, I
will...

Voldemort laughs.
VOLDEMORT
Not as brave as the phoenix lot, right? I wondered
why you never helped the Order of the Phoenix. Now I
realise why, you pathetic old man.

Another silence.

VOLDEMORT
Look at you. An old, useless scared man. I still
wonder how could you believe that I admired you.
That someone ever admired you.

Slughorn is still looking scared. His voice his trembeling,

SLUGHORN
What do you want?

VOLDEMORT
Quit your job, Slughorn. Break your contact with
Dumbledore. Never – ever – speak with him again.
And, if you ever think of mentioning our little
chat, when I was sixteen...

Slughorn is trembeling.

VOLDEMORT
You want a little taste of what will happen to you?
Crucio!

Slughorn is screaming, deeply in pain. Voldemort laughs. He raise his wand and Slughorn stops screaming.

VOLDEMORT
That was just the promo, you pathetic old man. You
are very lucky to stay alive. You helped me once.
Lord Voldemort pay back to those who helped him...
But remember, if you ever mention our conversation,
back in my school days...

He leaves the last sentence in the air. There is no need to complete it. Voldemort is leaving the house.

Camera leaves the room. Bright flash. We can see the title over the dark skies:

“HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE”

3. INT. BURROW, LIVING ROOM

Trio+Ginny are sitting in a room. Ron and Harry are playing wizard chess. Hermione is reading a newspaper. Headline screams: “HARRY POTTER: THE CHOSEN ONE?”

HARRY
All the paper’s full of it. They all think I’m the
chosen one. They see me as some kind of hero. That I
would have to destroy Voldemort in the end.

HERMIONE
They don’t *know* anything – they are just guessing.

RON
Well they are right. You are the chosen one.

GINNY
You have nothing to worry Harry. Dumbledore will
protect you, surely. He won’t leave you alone. He...

A knock on the door. Mrs Weasley, briefly appears, open the door. Dumbledore enters the room.

MOLLY
Hey Albus! What a suprise! Tea?

DUMBLEDORE
No, Molly, thanks. Actually I came to talk with
Harry.

Ginny gives Harry an “I-TOLD-YOU-SO” look. Harry stand up.

DUMBLEDORE
After you.

4. EXT. BURROW GARDEN DAYLIGHT

Harry and Dumbledore walking to the garden. Dumbledore hands is inside a pocket.

DUMBLEDORE
How are you feeling, Harry?

HARRY (LIFELESS VOICE)
Fine.

DUMBLEDORE
You don’t look so. Listen, I know discovering the
prophecy is not easy. To discover you are the one to
destroy Voldemort... but you have to know something.
You’re not alone. You’re with me.

Harry looks at him.

DUMBLEDORE (CONTINUED)
This year, Harry, I am going to prepare you to what
lies ahead. You are going to have a series of
private lessons with me.

HARRY
Private lessons? With you?

DUMBLEDORE
Yes, Harry. Just came to tell you that. I have to
leave now, sorry. Goodbye.

As he leaves, he raise his hand. It is black, burned and dead-looking.

HARRY
Professor! What happened to your hand?

DUMBLEDORE
Not now, Harry. This is a nice tale; I wish to do it
justice. I will tell you someday.

And with that, he leaves.

5. INT. BURROW LIVING ROOM.

Harry re-enters the room.

RON
What did he wanted?

HARRY
I’m going to have private lessons with him this
year. He’s going to prepare me to the battle with
Voldemort.

Ginny gives Harry and “I-TOLD-YOU-SO” look, again. Harry tries to change the subject.

HARRY
Anything interesting in the paper?

HERMIONE
There is a new Minister of Magic. His name is Rufus
Scrimegour.

(We see a picture of his face).

RON
He looks tough.

HERMIONE
He used to catch dark wizards.

Molly Weasley enter the room.

MOLLY
Come on everyobdy! We are going to Diagon Alley!

6. EXT DIAGON ALLEY, SUNNY AFTERNOON.

Wide shot of the place from behind. Trio+Ginny walks down the street. A random kid point his hand on Harry and smile.

HARRY
Again! They all think I’m a kind of hero!

The kid moves, behind him we can see Draco Malfoy running across the street.

RON
Did you saw Malfoy? I wonder what he’s doing...

HARRY
Well, there’s only one way to know.

HERMIONE
Harry, you can’t seriously mean that...

But before she could finish the sentence Harry, Ron and Ginny disappeard. She makes an annoying sound.

HERMIONE (ANNOYED)
Okay, I’m coming.

7. EXT: KNOCTORN ALLEY, SAME AFTERNOON.

Trio+Ginny walk down the street.

HARRY
There he is!

We can see Malfoy talking to Borgin inside a shop.

MALFOY
You’ll know how to fix it then?

BORGIN
I’ll have to see it, I’m afraid.

MALFOY
I got a feeling you don’t understand how serious is this.

Malfoy shows Borgin something on his hand. Borgin flinches.

MALFOY
So... can you fix it?

BORGIN (SCARED)
I’ll do my best.

MALFOY
No. You’ll do much more than you’re best.

And with that, he leaves. Trio+Ginny is shocked.

RON
What the bloody hell was that??

8. EXT A FOREST, DAYTIME.

The Hogwarts express is driving on a bridge.

9. INT. A COMPARTMENT IN THE TRAIN.

Trio is sitting together.

RON
Fishy, isn’t it? This Malfoy thing.

HARRY
Yes. I wonder what he wants to fix. It can’t be
something good.

HERMIONE
Don’t take it too seriously. It may be nothing
serious.

HARRY
But you saw how seriously Borgin took him? I wonder
what Malfoy showed him on his arm...

Little silence.

HARRY
Wait a minute! it was his left arm, wasn’t it? Maybe
it was the Dark Mark! Maybe he replaced his father
as a Death Eater!

HERMIONE
Dunno, Harry. Do you honestly think Voldemort will
let a 16 years old boy in?

Before Harry can answer, Ginny pass by in a corridor.

HERMIONE
Hey, Ginny. Do you want to seat with us?

GINNY
Sorry, I can’t. I have to meet Dean.

She leaves.

HARRY
Dean?

HERMIONE
Dean Thomas. Her boyfriend.

RON
Wait a minute! Dean Thomas is... her boyfriend?

HERMIONE
Yes. Why are you so in shock?

RON
Never liked him.

HERMIONE
Just to remind you, he was a good friend of you for
five years. You simply don’t like that fact that
your sister is going out with people.

Silence. Neville Longbottom enter the compartement.

NEVILLE
Harry, come here please.

Harry walks with him. Neville hand him a letter.

HARRY
It’s an invatition for a lunch with... Professor
Slughorn.

RON
Who’s Professor Slughorn?

10. INT. ANOTHER COMPARTMENT IN THE TRAIN

A few kids is sitting around an old fat man called Horace Slughorn.

SLUGHORN
I am professor Slughorn! I will be a new teacher
this year! Now, do we know everyone?

He turns to the kids. They all looking ashamed and don’t reply.

SLUGHORN
Well, this is Cormac Mclaggen – his uncle holds a
office at the ministry. And Belbi – his uncle
invented the Wolfsbane potion. Neville Longbottom –
His parents were well known aurors before being
tortured to madness by the Death Eatres. And Harry
Potter needs no introducing, of course!

Little Silence. Harry looks un-confident.

SLUGHORN (CONTINUED)
The rumors, my dear boy! The prophecy! The chosen
one! The fight in the Ministry of Magic!

NEVILLE
I was there too. There is no prophecy. The papers
just making out things. As usual.

SLUGHORN
Well, The papers does have an annoying inclination
to make things up... Anyway, Harry, I used to know
your mother. Such an extraordinary witch. So smart
and talented. But she’s dead now... It’s terrible...

11. EXT. HOGWARTS CASTLE, EVENING

A wise shot of the castle.

12. EXT. HOGWARTS CASTLE, MORNING.

Another wide shot.

13. INT. A CLASSROOM, MORNING.

We see the class, and Snape enters it. Class is silence. Some kids are looking in their books.

SNAPE
Put your books away. NOW! I want to talk to you!

HARRY
Where is Professor Slughorn, sir?

SNAPE
Raise your hand, Potter! Professor Slughorn is not
your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am.

RON
You? But Dumbledore rejected your request for the
post in the last 6 years! What made him change his
mind?

SNAPE
Detention, Weasley. If you ask another question
today it will be a WEEK of detentions. I want to
talk to you.

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
The Dark Arts are many, eternal and ever-changing.
Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster
– each time you kill on head, the second one will
attack you, stronger then the previous. Permit me to
say that it is probably the most important class in
this school, especially in this war times.

SNAPE
On those walls

He points at some paintings.

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
you can see a few examples to what the Dark Arts can
do. You can see what happens to those who feel the
Cruciatos Curse

He points on a man who’s in pain.

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
the Dementor’s Kiss

He points to a man with a blank-expression.

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
or the Inferious

Pointing on a picture of a Inferi

SEAMUS
What are the Inferious?

SNAPE
Dead bodies, controlled by a dark spell. The Inferi
have no will of their own; They are like a puppets,
forced to do what the wizard makes them too. Since
they have

Close Up of the Inferious in the picture.

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
no blood to spill nor they have vulnerable points
like a heart or a mind, it is extremely difficult to
kill them. However, they are creatures of the dark,
and they fear light and warm.

Close up of Harry’s face

SNAPE (CONTINUED)
If you ever come face-to-face with one, the best
thing you can do is to light a fire.

A Slytherin KID come running in to class.

BOY
Professor! Sorry to interrupt, but it’s urgent! It’s
Crabbe, Malfoy’s friend! He entered the Broken
Vanishing Cabinet! By mistake, of course, but

SNAPE (INTERRUPTING)
Take me to him.

14. INT. A CLASSROOM

Crabbe is sitting on the floor, confused. Malfoy and the boy enter the class. Snape takes Crabbe in his hand.

SNAPE
Scatter now, everyone! Show’s over!

They all leave. A close up on Malfoy’s face...

15. INT. A CORRIDOR

Trio walks together.

HARRY
A Vanishing Cabinet? What is that?

HERMIONE
There’s supposed to be a pair. You can enter one of
them, and then to get out from the other. Good to
make quick escapes.

RON
That boy... he said it was broken. What does it
mean?

HERMIONE
Well, you can’t use it obviously. You can’t enter.

HARRY
But if you enter the working one...?

HERMIONE
You’ll be lost. Stuck. You’ll have nowhere to go.
That’s probably what happend to Crabbe.

16. INT. A CLASSROOM

Kids are sitting. Slughorn enters the class.

SLUGHORN
Hello everybody! My name is Professor Slughorn and I
will be your new Potions teacher! Get out your
books, everybody...

They all do so. Harry looks confused.

HARRY
Professor, I’m sorry. My book’s gone.

SLUGHORN
You can take one of these for today. They are all
second-handed, but still...

Harry takes a second-handed book.

SLUGHORN
Well, we have a marvalous lesson today, and to
celebrate our first lesson, I decided to give a
special prize to the one who will give me the best
potion today! Well, the prize is... THIS!

He takes out the bottle of Felix Felicis.

SLUGHORN
Know what is is? Yes, miss Granger?

HERMIONE
It is Felix Felicis! It gives the drinker luck!

SLUGHORN
Exactly! This bottle is enough for 12 hours of luck!
Once you’ve taken it, everything will go right to
you! Nice prize, isn’t it?

Class nod.

SLUGHORN (CONTINUED)
Well, how can you win it? Open page 6 in your books.
You need to make a ‘Drought Of Living Death’ until
the end of the lesson. The one with the best potion
will be the winner!

Everyone is looking at their books.

HARRY (TO RON AND HERMIONE)
Look at that! The previous owner of this book has
written all over the page! I can’t read it!

17. INT. A CLASSROOM (LATER)

A shot of the class working.

HERMIONE
What are you doing, Harry? You are adding a
wormwood! It’s not in the book!

HARRY
Maybe, but the previous owner added it to the list
in his handwrite! Well, it suppose to be blue now...
look at that!

Harry’s potion is turning blue.

HARRY
Well, now, stir it clockwise...

HERMIONE
It is not clockwise, Harry! It is against clockwise!

HARRY
But the previous owner say it is clockwise... look,
my potion looks exactly like the one in the picture!

SLUGHORN
Time’s up! Let’s see what you have to show me!

18. INT A CLASSROOM (LATER)

Slughorn is getting to Harry’s table.

SLUGHORN
Wow! Look at that everyone! The clear winner! Very
good, Harry, very good... Here is your prize – Felix
Felicis. You deserve it. Use it wisely!

19. INT. A CORRIDOR.

HARRY
Look at that book! The previous owner has corrected
nearly every potion in this book!

RON
Who is the previous owner? Perhaps he has written
his name on it!

HARRY
Well... Here!

A close up on a page... Harry is reading:
“The book is the property of The Half-Blood Prince”

RON
The Half-Blood Prince? Who is that?

HARRY
Dunno...

20. INT. DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE

Harry enter the office. Dumbledore is sitting there.

DUMBLEDORE
Good evening, Harry. Sit down.

Harry is sitting down. The Pensieve is on the table

DUMBLEDORE
Now that you know about the prophecy, I think it’s
time for me to share some information with you
About Voldemort.

HARRY
What information?

DUMBLEDORE
We need to learn about him as much as possible. But
there is another reason... these lessons have
another and much greater reason.

Harry looks confused.

DUMBLEDORE
I can’t tell you now. First of all... you must know
some things. You remember the pensieve, I guess?

Harry nods.

DUMBLEDORE
I got something I want to show you. After you,
Harry.

Harry touches the pensieve and enter.

21. INT. A DARK CAVE

Harry and Dumbledore walk together in a dark place. We can see two kids from a distance: One is the black-haired young Tom Riddle, the other is the red-heared Amy Benson.

AMY
Where are you taking me, Tom?

TOM
That’s a suprise.

Amy looks at him, charmed. He just smiles gently.

They reach the big, black lake.

AMY
This is a scary place, Tom! What do you want to show
me? What if we’ll lose our way out?

TOM
You don’t need to worry about that.

AMY
Why not?

TOM
Because you won’t get out of here. Never!

22. INT. DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE

A quick cut, and we’re back in Dumbledore’s office.

HARRY
What was that?

DUMBLEDORE
As you may have guessed, that was a lonely orphan
boy called Tom Riddle.

HARRY
The teenage Voldemort.

DUMBLEDORE
Indeed. The girl with him is another girl from his
orphanage.

HARRY
What... what he was doing?

DUMBLEDORE
At that point, Tom Riddle dosen’t known that he’s a
wizard. But it seemes he has learned to have certain
controls of his powers. He knew he has powers,
though he can’t named them as ‘magic’.

DUMBLEDORE (CONTINUED)
Tom Riddle was a young sadistic boy. In the scene we
just watched, Riddle was taking a poor girl into a
cave to torture her. She survived, but the other
kids said she never came back to herself.

Harry scans the room, and he finds a ring on the desk.

HARRY
That ring. It has the symbol of Slytherin on it.

DUMBELDORE
Yes Harry. You can guess who was her previous owner.

HARRY
Slytherin himself?

DUMBLEODRE
Actually, it was Voldemort. That ring has passed in
his family for generations.

HARRY
Then why do you have it?

DUMBLEDORE
One day you will know.

Harry understand this is the end of the conversation and leaves.

23. EXT. HOGWARTS CASTLE
Another wide shot of the castle, from different angle.

24. INT. A CORRIDOR.
Harry and Ron walking in a corridor. The boys are walking through a secret passage behind a door, and find Ginny and Dean snogging.
Music begins. A close-up on Harry’s face, then on Ginny and Dean, and then again on Harry’s face – he’s looking shocked and strange.

RON
Hello!

Ginny and Dean break apart.

DEAN
Sorry, I’ll just go...

RON
Oh, didn’t meant to interrupt you, you seemed very
busy...

GINNY
What’s your point?

RON
My point? I just found my sister snogging in
public! So everyone can see, so everyone will think
you are a...

GINNY
Everyone? What are you talking about? This was a
deserted corridor until you came in! What is your
problem?

RON
I don’t want people to think you are a...

GINNY
Oh, I got it! You are jealous. Just becasue you
never kissed anyone in your life – well, unless you
count our Auntie Muriel! It’s pathetic!

A little silence. At this point, a close-up on Harry confused face, and then a close-up on Dean, who is watching Harry confused face with a strange expression, who seem to understand...

RON
This is a lie! Just because I don’t do it in public,
and...

GINNY
I would advise you to stop here, you’re just
embarrassing yourself! Harry kissed Cho, Hermione
kissed Victor Krum, It’s just you acting like it is
disgusting!

She and Dean walk away, leaving an angry Ron and a confused harry alone.

25. INT. BEDROOM, NIGHTIME.

A shot Harry is lying in his bed, still awake, with the same confused expression...

26. EXT. HOGWARTS SUNNY DAY

Trio+Ginny is walking together. Ron and Ginny refuse to look at each other.

HERMIONE
Oh, will you two stop it? It’s getting really
annoying.

GINNY
He started. He’s just jealous.

HERMIONE looks desperate. As the walk they bump into RUFUS SCRIMEGOUR, the minister of magic.

HARRY
Sorry.

He realise who he bumped into, and stop.

SCRIMEGOUR
Oh, it’s okay. Will you come with me to a little
tour, Harry?

HARRY hasitates but walks with him.

27. EXT. HOGWARTS GROUNDS, LATER. SUNNY DAY.

Harry and RUFUS SCRIMEGOUR are walking together.

SCRIMEGOUR
I wanted to talk with you for a long time. You knew
that?

HARRY
No, minister.

SCRIMEGOUR
How much I tried to convince Dumbledore, but he
won’t let me. I gave up. But now I just bumped into
you!

HARRY
But why you wanted to talk with me, minister?

SCRIMEGOUR
We are in dark times, Harry. We live in a constant
fear. You can’t trust anybody. Every day more people
die. We all know we can be the next.

Harry nods, don’t understand where is Scrimegour leading to.

SCRIMEGOUR (CONTINUED)
In such dark times, people would like to think the
ministry is doing something. That we are winning.
Raising the moral is important.

You, Harry... You give people hope. The idea that
there is someone out there, who can, who HAVE to
destroy You-Know-Who... well, naturally it’s giving
people hope. I think that in such dark times, you
should... side the ministry.

HARRY
What do you mean?

SCRIMEGOUR
Nothing too annoying, I promise. For example, if you
were seen walking in and out from the ministry... it
would give the right impression. If you’ll say in
the paper that the ministry is doing a wonderful
job, then

HARRY
But you’re not doing a wonderful job.

SCRIMEGOUR
Maybe. But sometimes lying is necessary, to raise
people moral.

HARRY
So basiclly, you want me to lie to the public and to
support the minitry. I still remember last year,
minister.

Harry shows the scars on his hand. You can still see the word: LIAR in there.

HARRY
Last year, when the ministry said I was a liar,
tried to throw me out from the magical society, I
don’t remember you bumping into my defence. I won’t
lie to the world. I won’t support a organization who
did everything he can to throw me out from the
magical society. To make my life a living hell.

SCRIMEGOUR
I knew you may reject. Dumbledore done a very good
job on you.

HARRY
Dumbledore is smarter then all the ministry
together. You seem cleverer then Fudge, the last
minister, so I think you can learn from his
mistakes. He tried to interfere at Hogwarts; You may
notice he’s not a minister anymore, but Dumbledore
is still the headmaster.

SCRIMEGOUR
I see... You are Dumbledore’s man through and
through, right Potter?

HARRY
Yes I am. Glad I clarified it.

With that, he leaves.

28, INT. A CORRIDOR

Harry walks in a corridor, alone. He hear voice from one of the classrooms near.

SNAPE (OFF-SCREEN)
Answer me, Draco! Do you have a plan how to do it?

Harry stops and listen.

29. INT. A CLASSROOM

DRACO
Yes, I have.

SNAPE
And? What is it?

DRACO
It’s none of your business! I’m not a fool, you
know.

SNAPE
A fool? I’m trying to help you, Draco.

DRACO
Help me? You want to stop me, to make me fail, so
you can do it instead and to have all the glory! But
no, He told me to do it, and I will!

SNAPE
Draco, I am trying to help you. I talked to your
mother, she asked me to help you. I made the
Unbreakable Vow, Draco...

DRACO
I don’t care, I don’t need help! I don’t care what
my mother told you, she thinks I am only a child and
I will never succeed! But I will prove that she is
wrong. I will do it. I’m going to be the Dark Lord’s
favourite Death Eater. I don’t need help from you!

And he burst out of the room from the other door. Harry is looking shocked.

30. INT STUDY HALL

Trio are sitting and talking.

HEMIONE
Harry, I don’t think Snape really tried to help
Malfoy. We know he spy on the Death Eaters; I think
he simply pretended to offer him help, So Malfoy
will tell him his plan and then Dumbledore can act
to prevent it.

HARRY
But that’s proves that Malfoy is up to something,
and that he is working for Voldemort.

HERMIONE
Yes, you’re right on this one.

HARRY
So what is he doing? Perhaps Voldemort needs someone
in Hogwarts. It is easier to use someone that is
allowed to be there, then to try and enter some spy.

RON
Maybe.

HARRY (CONTINUED)
We need to follow him somehow. I know!

31. INT. COMMON ROOM

A close up on the Maurdars Map. Hundreds of dots are moving.

HARRY
See! I can see where Malfoy is! Look, he is in the
seventh floor... he walks across it... Now he’s...

Harry stops. Malfoy simply disappeard from the map.

HERMIONE
He disappeard.

RON
But how?

HERMIONE
The seventh floor. What is in the seventh floor?

HARRY
The room of requierment.

32. INT. SEVENTH FLOOR

Trio runs in the corridor. Harry stand in front of a door.

HARRY
Well, let me try it.

HARRY (TO THE DOOR)
I need to see what Draco Malfoy is doing inside you.

Nothing happens.

HARRY
I’ll try again. I need you to become the place you
become for Draco Malfoy.

Nothing happens.

HERMIONE
It’s not working.

HARRY
But why?

HERMIONE
Because you don’t know what you wish to find behind
that door. The Room of Requierment become what you
want it to; If you don’t know what you want to see
behind you can’t open it.

33. INT DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE

Harry enter the room.

DUMBLEDORE
I’ve been expecting you. Sit down.

Harry sits down.

DUMBLEDORE
Today I got two memories to show you. The second one
is, I believe, the most important one I collected so
far. Let’s see the first memory, shall we?

They both stand up.

DUMBLEDORE
After you, Harry.

Harry touch the pensieve and dive into it.

34. INT. FANCY ROOM

We see a fancy room with an old fat lady. Tom Riddle enter the room.

RIDDLE
Hello Mrs Smith.

MRS SMITH
Hello Tom! Sit down, please.

RIDDLE sit down.

MRS SMITH
Coffee?

RIDDLE
No need. Thank you.

MRS SMITH
Thank you for coming here. I got something really
special to show you.

She points on a shelf. Two boxes are in it. She takes them.

MRS SMITH
Open it, Tom.

He opens it. Inside we can see a cup, with the letter H on it.

RIDDLE
H. So this cup was...

MRS SMITH
Helga Huffelpuf’s, as you know very well. But this
one here...

She opens the other one. Inside we can see a big locket with the letter S on it.

MRS SMITH
Slytherin’s. My most expensive treasure...

A close up on Riddle’s jealous face. And for a moment, his brown eyes turns red...

35. INT DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE.

We’re back into the office.

DUMBLEDORE
Two days later Mrs Smith was dead. The cup and the
locket was gone.

HARRY
Voldemort! He killed her and stoled them!

DUMBLEDORE
Indeed. These items may be a key items to our story.
But now, Harry, the second memory...

He takes another memory.

DUMBLEDORE
This memory was given to me by Horace Slughorn. I
think you may find it... unusual. After you.

They enter the pensieve.

36. SLUGHORN’S OFFICE

We see a few kids there, leaving. They all have tags on their sleeves: “THE SLUG CLUB”. One boy stays behind. Tom Riddle.

SLUGHORN
What’s that, boy?

RIDDLE
I want to ask you something.

SLUGHORN
Go on.

RIDDLE
I want to ask you what you know about... Horcruxes.

All of a sudden, mist appear out of nowhere; We can’t see anything.

SLUGHORN (ECHOING VOICE)
I don’t know anything about Horcruxes, and would’nt
tell you even if I knew! Now get back to bed, and
don’t ever mention them again!!

37. DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE

We fade back to Dumbledore’s office.

HARRY
That’s it? What’s so important about it?

DUMLEDORE
What you just saw is only half-true. The mist is
just a trap Slughorn made. He never actually said
those words, what you heard in the mist...

HARRY
Then what actually happend?

DUMBLEDORE
This is your mission, Harry. You’ll need to bring me
the real memory. Only then we will know... Voldemort
greatest and darkest secret.

38 EXT. GROUNDS. SNOW

A very snowy day.

49. INT THE GREAT HALL

The hall is decorated for christmas.

40. SLUGHORN’S OFFICE

Harry enter the room. Slughorn’s inside.

SLUGHORN
Hello Harry! I was looking for you. Next Saturday
I’m doing a party, you see. Can you be there?

HARRY
Sorry, Professor. I have... Quidditch practice.

SLUGHORN
Oh, unlucky. Anyway, take this bottle

Slughorn hands Harry a bottle of wine.

SLUGHORN
I was planning to give this to Dumbledore, as a
christmas present... Well he can’t miss what he
never had!

HARRY
Actually, I wanted to ask you something else. I
wonder what you know... about Horcruxes.

Slughorn’s face froze immidietly. He looks shocked.

SLUGHORN (SHOCKED)
Dumbledore. He showed you that memory. Right?

HARRY
Yes he did, but

SLUGHORN
Then you should know I don’t know nothing about
Horcruxes.

HARRY
But I though maybe there is a bit more to this
memory...

SLUGHORN
You though? Then you’re wrong, boy. WRONG!

41. INT. STUDY HALL

Trio are sitting together in the study hall, doing homework. Ron is staring at a long essay.

RON
I hate Snape! It’s christmas vacation! But he gave
us loads of homework! Who cares about poison anyway?

HERMIONE (SACRCATIC)
Pity your stupid Half-Blood Prince can’t help you
now.

HARRY
Wait a minute. The Prince did wrote something...
“Simply slip a Bezoar to their throat”.

RON
A bezoar?

HERMIONE
A stone that protects you from most of the poisons.
You got one in your potion-making set.

RON
You mean... all that (He points at the essay) was
pointless? All I need is only... a stone?

HERMIONE
Well... You can put it this way.

Harry takes a stone from his set, and slowly puts it in his pocket...

42. TOWER DORMITORY. MORNING

Ron is in his bed, sleeping. We see a lot of presents near his bed. 4 boys are around him, speaking quietly.

HARRY
Ready? 1, 2, 3...

Together the four of them sing “Happy Birthday To You” (perhaps with some magical lyrics?). Ron is waking up, confused.

HARRY
Happy Birthday, mate!

RON
Oh...

He’s eyes meet the presents near his bed and he grins.

RON
Thank you!

HARRY
Let’s party!

----------------------
Here's my go on King's Cross, beggining with Arry Grotter version. I didn't include much of the conversation becuase it is too damn long, but the important stuff is in, I think. I'm not so good in descriptions so they are kind of lousy (or else, copied from the book).

---------------------

The camera zooms in on Harry’s head, lying face down. And…

…the scene fades. Harry is still lying in the same position and place. Slowly Harry wakes up.

The surrounds are cloudy and misty. Harry moves nothing but his eyes, lying their gracefully.

He reaches out an arm to feel the mist he is lying on. He pushes it, it springs back a little. He suddenly notices his arm is bare and looks at the rest of his body, taken a back. Suddenly robes materialize on him out of nowhere.

He decides to stand up. The place still looks like a cloud, but as he finally is on his feet, a room start to form.

A wide-open space reveals itself, bright and clean, a hall larger by far than the Great Hall, with that clear domed glass ceiling. It is quite empty. Suddenly Harry hears a baby crying. It sounds distorted and unnatural. He slowly approach the source of the noise.

It has the form of a small, naked child, curled on the ground, its skin raw and rough, flayed-looking, and it lay shuddering under a seat where it had been left, unwanted, stuffed out of sight, struggling for breath. Harry gets near it, afraid to touch, and then -

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You cannot help it.

Harry jumps, suprised. Albus Dumbledore approaches him, his hand healthy again, a big smile on his face.

HARRY POTTER
But... you're dead.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Yes, I am dead.

HARRY POTTER
So... am I dead too?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
This is the question, isn't it? On the whole, I think no.

Harry looks astonished.

HARRY POTTER
But I was hit by a killing curse. I should have died.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You should have died, yes. However, it appears that there are... special circumstances that kept you alive.

HARRY POTTER
What are they?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
But you already know, don't you? Think about what Voldemort done, in a deserted muggle graveyard, three years ago.

HARRY POTTER
He took my blood.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Precisely! Your blood in his veins, Harry, Lily protection inside both of you! While this protection lives inside his body, you cannot die. He tethered you to live while he lives!

HARRY POTTER
I live... while he lives? But then, the Horcrux inside me - how we could get rid of it, if I can't die?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
He already took care of it. The Horcrux inside you was never protected, Harry, so he wasn't protected - and he was destroyed when you was hit by a killing curse.

Harry looks relieved.

HARRY POTTER
Where are we?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Good gracious, I have no idea. I was about to ask you. This is, as they say - your party. Where do you think we are?

HARRY POTTER
It looks like... King's Cross station, only much cleaner, and it's empty, and there's no trains, as far as I can see.

A moment of hesitation, and then...

HARRY POTTER
I'm not dead, you say? Then I have to go back, do I?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
This is your choice, Harry. If you want, you can... board a train.

HARRY POTTER
And where it will take me?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
On.

HARRY POTTER
But... you want me to go back, don't you?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I think that if you go back, there is a chance Lord Voldemort will be finished for good. I cannot promise it, but I know this, Harry; If you go back, he has much more to fear about coming back here then you have.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE (Continued)
By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, they we saw good-bye for the present.

Harry nods.

HARRY POTTER
Tell me one last thing. Is it real, or is it happening inside my head?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?

-------------------

That's it, sorry for the long post.

Old October 6th, 2007, 12:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast_ended View Post
That's it, sorry for the long post.
They have to be long, don't worry.

I just came up with an idea for the PS classes:

PS: Classes (The Potions Master)Ten 11-year-old Gryffindors look through telescopes: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Seamus, Dean, Parvati Patil, Lavender Brown and two other girls. The Astronomy Professor, Aurora Sinistra overlooks them. The camera pans and fades to…

…Professor Pomona Sprout who is showing the Gryffindor first years and 10 other 11-year-olds (Hufflepuffs: Ernie MacMillian, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Hannah Abbot, Susan Bones, Wayne Hopkins, Megan Jones, 2 extra boys and 2 extra girls) a magical plant. Again, the camera pans and fades to…

…Professor Cuthbert Binns, a ghost, who is droning on and on. Every one of the Gryffindor first years are bored, except Hermione, who is listening to every word. Once again, the camera pans and fades to…

…Professor Filius Flitwick, an incredibly short man, is taking the roll of his first year Gryffindor class.

FILIUS FLITWICK
Harry Potter

…he says in an ordinary voice, then suddenly looks up at Harry and topples out of sight. The camera pans and fades, again, to…

…Professor Minerva McGonagall is lecturing her class of Gryffindor first years.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts. Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned.

And she swiftly turns her desk into a pig and back again. Everyone one in the class looks at each other, amazed. But the camera pans and fades to…

…Professor Quirenius Quirrell is stuttering to his class of first year Gryffindors, turban still on.

QUIRENIUS QUIRRELL
M-My tur-turban was a tha-ank-ank-you gift for-or warding off the-the trouble-le-lesome Infe-fe-feri.

Quirrell looks down at his notes.

SEAMUS FINNIGAN
And how did you get rid of the zombie?

Quirrell seems to be in a panic.

QUIRENIUS QUIRREL
It’s – It’s – It’s a love-lovely d-d-day today.

For the last time, the camera pans and fades to…

…pickled animals in jars on shelves.
Then it would have been Snape's class, but that's a long scene, so I'll wait till I get to it.

Old October 6th, 2007, 3:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast_ended View Post
Phrozenone, you write the scenes nicely but some of the scenes you included are ABOLUTELY POINTLESS. Why bother with Igor Karkaroff? He has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the plot, it is just a waste of screen time in my opinion. I would have include Spinner's End instead, or write a more relevant scene.

The Dursleys - the scene is much TOO LONG, and include some absolutely pointless pieces of dialog. For example, I would have cut Kreacher and Grimmauld Place all together... and Dumbledore talking at the end is too long.

Later, why bother with OWLs results? They have nothing to do with the plot of the book. I would also cut both Bill & Fleur, but this is a much harder choice. Again, CUT KARKAROFF, his mentions is pointless.

I would cut Quidditch, cut the Madam Malkin shop scene, and as much as I like her - cut Luna Lovegood too. She'll come back in DH.
Thanks and yeah I know alot of it is pointless LOL but like I said this is an old one where I'm going to do ALOT of rewrites (This was before the Order movie came out and DH so I didn't know anything....you'll notice I cut the Room of Requirement scene because I didn't think it was important)

I think the reason I put Karkorofff in this was because I wanted to have Voldemort in this one atleast once, but your solution of having Slughorn was a very good idea. Kudos! Like I said I included O.W.L. results because I thought they'd probably have it more in the previous movie but alas I was wrong.

And I agree about Fluer and Bill. Actually you won't be seeing Fluer in this one and I have another draft of the script where I cut them out all together so I hear ya man. I agree the Dursleys scene is long now that I look at it and trust me it was MUCH shorter when I first wrote it, but once I realized how funny it was I added in more 'funny' (Oh yeah and like I said I didn't know how Kreacher and Grimmauld Place was going to effect the series when I wrote this so I included them just in case )

Quote:
It's REALLY great to see someone else's script. Are you ready for some constructive criticism?

Spoiler: show
I think that your scenes are too cutty. Meaning that they suddenly end, and then they suddenly start somewhere else, and only if you read the book would you know how they got there. That's all for now.

You can give me criticism too.

I hear ya and so far I don't have anymore to add to your script that hasn't been said already (about it being a little long in certain spots, but alas I have that same problem sometimes lol) but keep it up. Trust me I have 4 drafts of HPB...each VERY different because there's always something you can do different.

But alas here is the next part to my script. Let me know what you guys think

INT-POTIONS CLASSROOM-EVENING

The scene cuts to Slughorn pacing in front of the class.

SLUGHORN
Now then! Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don’t forget your copies of Advanced Potion Making (Harry raises his hand) Yes Harry?

HARRY
I haven’t got a book or scale or anything…nor’s Ron…we didn’t realize we’d be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see…

SLUGHORN
Oh yes, Professor McGonagall mentioned this to me. Not to worry, you can use ingrediants from the store cupboard today.

Harry and Ron walk up to the cupboard to collect their things while Slughorn continues to talk

SLUGHORN
Now, I’ve prepared a few potions here for you to look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of things you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. (He points at the first one.) Can anyone tell me what this one is? (Hermione raises her hand.) Yes, dear?

HERMIONE
It’s Veritaserum, a colorless, odorless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth.

SLUGHORN
Very good! Now can anyone tell me what this one…(Hermione raises her hand again as Harry and Ron take their seats with their materials.)

HERMIONE
It’s Polyjuice Potion, sir.

SLUGHORN

Quite right! May I ask your name, my dear?

HERMIONE
Hermione Granger, sir.

Harry and Ron both walk back to their seats and sit down

SLUGHORN
Granger? Can you possibly be related to Hector Dagworth-Granger, who founded the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneeers?

HERMIONE
No sir, I’m Muggle born.

SLUGHORN
Oho! I’m assuming this is the very friend of whom you spoke about that is the best of your year, Harry?

HARRY
Yes, sir.
(He looks at Hermione as she smiles embarresingly)

SLUGHORN
Lovely, I say Twenty Points for Gryffindor! And now, it is time for us to start work.

NEVILLE
Sir, you haven’t told us what’s in this one!

SLUGHORN
Oh yes, well that one is a most curious potion called Felix Felicis. I take it that you know what Felix Felicis does, Miss Granger?

HERMIONE
It’s liquid luck. it makes you lucky.
(Everyone in the class murmers with excitement.)

SLUGHORN
Quite right. Its desperately tricky to make, and disatrous to get wrong. However, if brewed correctly, as this has been, you will find that all your endeavors tend to succed…at least until the effects wear off.

DEAN
Why don’t people drink it all the time, sir?

SLUGHORN
Because if taken in excess, it causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence. Too much of a good thing, you know.

SEAMUS
Have you ever taken it, sir?

SLUGHORN
Twice in my life. Now, one tiny bottle of Felix Felicis is the prize I’m giving away at the end of this lesson. Enough for twelve hours luck! Now turn to page ten of Advanced Potions Making and you will attemp to make a decent Draught of Living Death.

The scene cuts to everyone rushing to do the spell. The camera goes over Harry’s shoulder where there are notes written by the previous owner on the side of the actual curse. His finger goes over the written notes.

HARRY
Strange…I wonder.

He proceeds to do what the person wrote and Hermione looks at him in anger when his potion seems to be coming furthur along than hers.

HERMIONE
How are you doing that?

HARRY
Add a clockwise stir…

HERMIONE
No, the book says counterclockwise!

SLUGHORN
And times up!
(He starts to walk around the room looking at the potion and stops at Harry) The clear winner. Excellent, Harry. It is clear you’ve inherited your mother’s talent. Here you are then, one bottle of Felix Felices.

Harry smiles and Hermione sends an angry glare at him as the scene fades to…

INT. OUTSIDE OF SLUGHORN CLASS-EVENING

The scene cuts to them leaving class and Hermione running up to Harry.

HERMIONE
How did you do that?

HARRY
Good luck, I suppose. What is it? You think I cheated?

HERMIONE
Well it wasn’t exactly your own work, was it?

RON
He only followed different instructions to ours.

HARRY
Yeah, I just tried a few tips written in the margins!

HERMIONE
We ought to check that there’s nothing odd about it. I mean...
(She pulls out her wand.)

HARRY
Hermione…what…
(She grabs his book and points her wand at it.

HERMIONE
Specialis Revelio!

Nothing happens

HARRY
Finished? Or d’you want to wait and see if it does a few backflips.

HERMIONE
It seems all right.

HARRY
Good. Then I’ll have it back.

Harry takes the book and walks off away from them. He looks down at the book and the camera pans to see whats written on it is ‘This Book is the Property of the Half-Blood Prince’. The scene then fades to…

INT-DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE-NIGHT

Dumbledore is standing next to with his back towards the Penseive and Harry is standing in front of him

DUMBLEDORE
So, Harry. You have been wondering, I am sure, what I have planned for you during these lessons? Well, I have decided that it is time, now that you know what prompted Lord Voldemort to try and kill you fifteen years ago, for you to be given certain information.

HARRY
Sir, does what you’re going to tell me have anything to do with the prophecy?

DUMBLEDORE
It has a great deal to do with the prophecy and I certainly hope that it will help you to survive.

Dumbledore turns around and looks into the Pensieve

DUMBLEDORE
This time, you enter the Pensieve with me…and, even more unusually, with permission.

HARRY
Where are we going sir?

DUMBLEDORE
For a trip down Bob Ogdens memory lane...

He takes out a bottle and pours the memory into the Pensieve and ther camera zooms in on his blackened hand as he pours.

HARRY
Sir...how did you injure your….

DUMBLEDORE
Now is not the moment for the story Harry, now, after you.

Harry walks up to the Pensive and looks into it. There is a flash and we see him falling into the contents and he lands near a man wearing thick glasses. Dumbledore lands beside him.

EXT. LITTLE HANGLETON-DAY

The man starts to walk away and Harry and Dumbledore follow him. The man walks up to an old house where a dead snake is nailed to the door. Morfin drops from the nearest tree and lands behind the man startling him. *Parseltongue is italicized*

MORFIN
You’re not welcome

ODGEN
Um…good morning…I’m from the Ministry of Magic

MORFIN
You’re not welcome!

DUMBLEDORE
You understand him, I’m sure, Harry?

HARRY
Yes of course, oh, he’s speaking Parseltongue?

Morfin has a knife in one hand and a wand in another. He rushes to attack Ogden when a man appears from inside the house.

GAUNT
Morfin!
(Morfin stops and stares at Gaunt)
Ministry, is it?

ODGEN
Co…correct. It is your son I’m here to see, Mr. Gaunt.

GAUNT
Are you pure-blood?

OGDEN
That’s neither here nor there!

GAUNT
Get in the house, don’t argue.

Morfin looks at Ogden and proceeds to enter the house.

INT. HOUSE OF GAUNT-LIVING ROOM-DAY

The scene cuts to them inside the cottage where we see a thin girl standing behind the stove.

GAUNT
M’daughter, Merope.

OGDEN
Good morning!

Merope looks at him in fright and turns around and starts shifting through the pots that are behind her.

OGDEN
Yes, well, Mr. Gaunt to get straight to the point, we have reason to believe that your son, Morfin, performed magic in front of a Muggle late last night. (There is a clang and the camera pans to Merope who has just dropped a pot.)

GAUNT
Pick it up! That’s it, grub on the floor like some filthy Muggle, what’s your wand for, you useless sack of muck?

Morfin starts to laugh as Merope pulls out her wand to mend one pot and makes another one explode.

GAUNT
Mend it, you pointless lump, mend it!
(She raises her wand again but Gaunt stands up and points his wand at the pots.)
Reparo!
(The pots repair.)
Lucky the nice man from the Ministry’s here, isn’t it? Perhaps he’ll take you off my hands, perhaps he doesn’t mind dirty Squibs…

OGDEN
Mr. Gaunt, please, the reason for my visit…

GAUNT
I heard you the first time!

OGDEN
Morfin has broken Wizarding law.

GAUNT
He taught a filthy Muggle a lesson, that’s illegal now, is it?

OGDEN
Yes, I’m afraid it is.
(Pulls out a piece of parchment.)

GAUNT
What’s that, then, his sentence?

OGDEN
It is a summons to the Ministry for a hearing…

GAUNT
Summons! Who do you think you are, summoning my son anywhere?

OGDEN
I’m Head of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad.

GAUNT
And you think we’re scum do you!

(He rushes up to Ogden)

GAUNT
Do you know who you’re talking to, you filthy little Mudblood, do you!

(He holds up his finger in Ogdens face showing a black stoned ring he is wearing on his middle finger.)

See this? Know what it is? Centuries its been in our family, that’s how far back we go, and pure blood all the way!

OGDEN
Mr. Gaunt your son has commited…

Gaunt rushed towards Merope and drags her by the gold chain around her neck. She kicks and screams as she is pulled across the floor. Odgen stands there appalled.

GAUNT
See this!

(The camera zooms in on the necklace with an S that Gaunt is holding around Merope’s neck)

Salazar Slytherins! We’re his last living descendants, what do you say to that, eh? So don’t you go talking to us as if we’re dirt on your shoes! Generations of purebloods, wizards all…more than you can say, I don’t doubt!

(He lets her go as there is a rustling outside and we see a shot of the carriage passing by. We see the young man and young lady laughing amongst themselves as they pass by the cottage.)

MORFIN
She likes looking at the Muggle. Always in the garden when he passes. Hanging out of the window waiting for him to rise home….

GAUNT
Is it true. My daughter…pure blooded descendant of Salazar Slytherin…hankering after a filthy, dirt veined Muggle?

Merope is sitting in the corner shaking her head frantically with her hand over her ears.

MORFIN
But I got him father, I got him as he went by and he didn’t look so pretty with hives all over him, did he Merope?

GAUNT
You disgusting little Squib, you filthy little blood traitor!

Gaunt rushed towards her and grabs her by the throat.

HARRY and OGDEN
No!

ODGEN
(Pulls out his wand)
Relashio!

Gaunt is throw backwards and Morfin leaps out of his chair towards Ogden. Ogden runs for his life out of the cabin with Morfin following him and Merope sitting in the corner screaming. Dumbledore puts his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

DUMBLEDORE
I think that will do, Harry.

The scene flashes and Dumbledore and Harry are back in his office.

INT. DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE-NIGHT

HARRY
What happened to the girl in the cottage?

DUMBLEDORE
Oh, she survived. Ogden apparated back to the Ministry and returned with reinforcements. There was a fight, the ministry won, and Morfin was sentenced to three years in Azkaban. Marvolo, who had injured several Ministry employees, received six months.

HARRY
Marvolo? Do you mean that old man was…?

DUMBLEDORE
Voldemort’s grandfather, yes.

He walks over to sit behind his desk and Harry sits in front of the desk

HARRY
So Merope…sir…does that mean she was…Voldemort’s mother?

DUMBLEDORE
It does and it so happens that we also had a glimpse of Voldemort father.

HARRY
That muggle? The man on the horse?

DUMBLEDORE
Tom Riddle senior, the handsome Muggle for whom Merope Gaunt cherished with a secret, burning passion. So once her brother and father were in jail she was free to leave. My guess is she used a love potion to make Riddle fall for her. Needless to say when her father returned from Azkaban he wasn’t happy, he never spoke her name again. He died shortly afterwards.

HARRY
And Merope? Wasn’t Voldemort brought up in an orphanage?

DUMBLEDORE
Indeed. You see within a few months of their runaway marriage Riddle returned. My guess is Merope loved him so deeply that she thought that, she convinced him to love her, so she lifted the spell. He left her when she was pregnant, never to see her again, and never troubled to discover what became of his son.

HARRY
Sir…is it important to know all this about Voldemort’s past?

DUMBLEDORE
Very important, I think. Well I think that’s enough for today Harry.

Harry turns to leave he notices the gold ring with the cracked, black stone, sitting on one of Dumbledore’s tables.

HARRY
Sir…that ring…you were wearing it when you came to get me from the Dursleys.

DUMBLEDORE
So I was.

HARRY
But isn’t it the same ring Marvolo Gaunt showed Ogden?

DUMBLEDORE
The very same.

HARRY
But how did you…

DUMBLEDORE
Not now Harry. You shall hear the story another time. Goodnight.

Quote:
Thanks.

I think I'm too protective of my work. Once I've written it I don't want it to go. But something has to or it will be nearing 4 or 5 hours. I'm fine with 3 hours, but would prefer the shortest with the most in it. It's going to be horrible when I try scripting OotP.
---
I decided to leave the Vanishing Glass for the moment and am now trying to cut the letter arrival scene. It's funny because I told myself that I would have scenes in between them unlike 2001-PS-Film, but I've cut the desruction of Dudley's toy's, I've cut Mrs Figg, I've cut the uniforms and any mention of Dudley's or Harry's schools (should that go back in?).

All together I've cut 3 pages of scenes in between these two.

---
I decided to compare timings with the 2004-PoA script I have in the same format.

Dementors are attacking by the time the Petunia and Vernon finish their talk about the letter.

Though, I always think the beginning of the HP films have been rushed
---
On a bright note, I've gone from 26 pages to 18 for up to the first letter.
Well think about it like this. If you never read a Harry Potter book and was just watching the movie, what would bore you out of your mind? Yeah it's tough, but try it. Us as book readers...I mean it's HARD to cut stuff and it took me FOREVER to cut them going to Slughorn's home to fetch him because I thought it was a great scene, but I moved a majority of it to the train and Dumbledore's line about knitting patterns to the Dursley's and viola! You have everything in that scene but without the uneccesary detour.

You should also remember don't try and introduce everything in the first film because you have 6 others to do and for each movie you have to do a reintroduction anyways. Having clues or a shot of something is useful if you must but I remember the couple behind me while watching the first HP movie were bored out of their minds because it started to drag to them (And they wish they would've went to see...what was it..Ghost Ship? lol)

Some of the information can be moved to later in the movie. Space it out so it doesn't feel like "Jeez I've been watching this film for 5 mins and we're still on the same scene" Also you know the end of the story now so choose what characters you want in ur screenplay wisely. You know who's going to play a major part and who doesn't and I would suggest giving their lines to someone who will be more important in the long run.

Old October 6th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Well think about it like this. If you never read a Harry Potter book and was just watching the movie, what would bore you out of your mind? Yeah it's tough, but try it. Us as book readers...I mean it's HARD to cut stuff and it took me FOREVER to cut them going to Slughorn's home to fetch him because I thought it was a great scene, but I moved a majority of it to the train and Dumbledore's line about knitting patterns to the Dursley's and viola! You have everything in that scene but without the uneccesary detour.

You should also remember don't try and introduce everything in the first film because you have 6 others to do and for each movie you have to do a reintroduction anyways. Having clues or a shot of something is useful if you must but I remember the couple behind me while watching the first HP movie were bored out of their minds because it started to drag to them (And they wish they would've went to see...what was it..Ghost Ship? lol)

Some of the information can be moved to later in the movie. Space it out so it doesn't feel like "Jeez I've been watching this film for 5 mins and we're still on the same scene" Also you know the end of the story now so choose what characters you want in ur screenplay wisely. You know who's going to play a major part and who doesn't and I would suggest giving their lines to someone who will be more important in the long run.
I wrote this scene where Harry goes to Mrs. Figg's, get's offered bad cake (just like the book), but when I'd finished I realised that all I needed was a ahort meeting in OotP before the Dementors for Mrs Figg to be established.

Cutting characters? Hmm...

Characters that have been in the story:

Albus Dumbledore - He's staying
Arabella Figg - She was cut (as said above)
Baby Dudley Dursley - He HAS to say Shan't!
Cartoon Voice - Cut (Part of Mrs Figg's)
Cloaked Person 1 - The Potters, that's what I heard...
Cloaked Person 2 - ...Yes, their son, Harry...
Cloaked Person 3 - Cut
Dudley Dursley - Staying
Grunnings Worker 1 - Cut
Grunnings Worker 2 - Cut

Harry Potter - Cut (j/k)
Ice-Cream Lady - Cut
Minerva McGonagall - Staying
Petunia Dursley - Must Stay
Piers Polkiss - At the moment, he's in
Reptile House Keeper - Cut
Rubeus Hagrid - Staying
Snake - Brazil, here he comes
Sybil Trelawney - The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approahes...
Television Jim - In at the moment
Televison Ted - Going to be a downpour of owls?
Vernon Dursley - Staying
Voldemort - Avada Kedavra!
Young Harry Potter - How did I get my scar?
Zoo Director - Cut

Edit: I forgot the non-speaking roles, like
Baby Harry Potter
and Dudley's gang, which is cut

I DO have a lot of characters don't I: 17! at the moment
---
I just cut out Television Ted since all he had been saying was "Going to be any more showers of owls to night Jim?" and I thought it wasn't nessacary, next on the chopping block would be Piers, but I really want it to be more like the book than 2001-movie, so he's staying, for the moment.

I just cut one of the letter scenes, actually, I don't think I've posted that. I'll do that in a sec.
---
The scene I jumped ahead too:    

PS: The Letters from No OneINT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING - 24/7/1991

Harry is still lying in the same position, though on the CRAMPED BED that is stuffed in the cupboard. The door opens, Harry turns around it is Vernon. He looks out of place in the DUSTY, SPIDER-FILLED cupboard

HARRY POTTER
Where’s my letter? Who’s writing to me?

VERNON DURSLEY
No one. It was addressed to you by mistake. I have burned it.

HARRY POTTER
It was not a mistake; it had my cupboard on it.

VERNON DURSLEY
SILENCE!

A flew spiders fall off the ceiling.

VERNON DURSLEY
Er – yes, Harry – about this cupboard. Your aunt and I have been thinking … you’re really getting a bit big for it … we think it might be nice if you moved into Dudley’s second bedroom.

HARRY POTTER
Why?

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t ask questions!

INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING – 25/7/1991

Vernon is nailing up the mailbox. Harry is walking down the stairs and stops. Vernon addresses Petunia who is offering fruitcake. Neither notices Harry.

VERNON DURSLEY
See, if they can’t deliver them they’ll just give up.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
I’m not sure that’ll work, Vernon.

VERNON DURSLEY
Oh, these people’s minds work in strange ways, Petunia, they’re not like you and me

And he hammers another nail.

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 26/7/1991

Petunia opens a new packet of eggs. She cracks one. No yolk. She cracks another. No yolk again. This time she spots a piece of parchment. It’s a letter. She pulls it out, unfolds it, then turns to Vernon, who is reading the newspaper, Dudley and Harry, showing it, frowning. Dudley turns to Harry.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Who on earth wants to talk to you this badly?

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 27/7/1991

Harry looks saddened. Vernon is gleefully spreading marmalade on his toast, sometimes spreading on the newspaper in his excitement.

VERNON DURSLEY
No post on Sundays. No damn letters today…

He raises his knife and smiles. Then frowns. A letter has just hit him in the back of his head. He turns to the fireplace which is now rumbling. Everyone’s attention is on it.

And suddenly 50 letters come bursting through the grate, Harry jumps up to try and catch one but…

VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!

---
Quote:
Well think about it like this. If you never read a Harry Potter book and was just watching the movie, what would bore you out of your mind?
Can I just say something, I went to see PS without reading any of the books and once I had read the books, I wanted more in the movies, but then again, I'd just sat through LotR the week earlier.

I do get what you mean.

Quote:
But alas here is the next part to my script. Let me know what you guys think
I was just reading the portion after the pensieve and I think it would be better if there were flashbacks, like when he figures who Marvolo is, perhaps to Riddles diary (reintroducing it) and the chamber (TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE >> I AM LORD VOLDEMORT). And even flashbacks to show Tom Riddle Snr. on his horse. I know it was like 2 minutes ago, but you never know who may have forgot.
--
I think this thread should win for 'Longest Posts'

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 7th, 2007 at 2:27 am. Reason: Non-speaking roles
Old October 7th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Second Year

I see no point in showing the Gaunt House scene, other then introducing the ring, which could be introduced in some other way. I would advise you to look at my draft, where I replaced the Gaunt scene with the Cave scene, which has a lot more to do with the plot of the book in my opinion. I think it would be wise to introduce the cave earlier...

Old October 9th, 2007, 7:50 am

I will format this soon, but here it is. Edit: Format done

The part I just wrote:    

PS: The Letters from No One Part II
VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!

Vernon grabs Harry around the middle as he tries to grab a letter and shoves him into the hall. Petunia and Dudley have already run for it.

INT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS - 29/7/1991

Vernon slams the door so that none of the letters, which are still flying around the kitchen, don't reach the other room.

He speaks threatening, as though he is losing it.

VERNON DURSLEY
That does it. We're going away. Just pack some clothes. No arguments!

EXT. RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - EVENING - 29/7/1991

A gloomy-looking hotel. Night. A train goes by on the nearby railway.

Fades to:

EXT. RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991

The same hotel. Morning.

INT. DINING - RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991

The Dursleys and Harry are eating breakfast. The HOTEL OWNER comes over to them (Carrying a LETTER)

HOTEL OWNER
'Scuse me, but is one of you Mr H. Potter?

Both Harry and Vernon look up.

HOTEL OWNER
Only I got about a hundred of these at the front desk.

She holds up the letter. It reads "Mr H. Potter, Room 17, Railview Hotel, Cokeworth". Harry tries to grab it, but his reach is knocked away by Vernon...

VERNON DURSLEY
I'll take them

...as he stands up to get the rest. The Hotel Owner stared.

INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Wouldn't it be better just to go home?

Vernon ignores her, gets out of the car and locks Petunia, Dudley and Harry in it. THUNDER.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Daddy's gone mad, hasn't he?

RAINDROPS fall onto the car.

The doors are unlocked and opened as Vernon arrives back.

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

EXT. Coast - Late AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

Vernon is now holding a LONG THIN PACKAGE. He points to a rock out at sea, hardly visible. Even less visible is a SHACK on top of it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Storm forecast for tonight! And I've been able to lend a boat.

The camera falls down to show a small wooden rowboat.

VERNON DURSLEY
(to Harry) Could do with some of those letters now, eh?

A quick note: I am now back at school. Therfore I won't be updating my script as frequently.

---
I'm going to do a big, large post, so are you ready?

Script reports:

Character report:    

1 EXT. HALL OF PROPHECY
SYBILL TRELAWNEY
VOLDEMORT
SYBILL TRELAWNEY

3 INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING – 1/11/1981
BABY DUDLEY DURSLEY

5 EXT./INT. SURREY – MORNING – 1/11/1981
CLOAKED PERSON 1
CLOAKED PERSON 2

6 INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING – 1/11/1981
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
TELEVISION – JIM MCGUFFIN
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

8 EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1-2/11/1981
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
RUBEUS HAGRID
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
RUBEUS HAGRID
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
MINERVA MCGONAGALL
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
RUBEUS HAGRID
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
RUBEUS HAGRID
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

PETUNIA DURSLEY

9 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991
PETUNIA DURSLEY

10 INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – A LITTLE LATER - 23/6/1991
DUDLEY DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
PETUNIA DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
PETUNIA DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER

15 INT. / EXT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY? – MID-MORNING - 23/6/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
HARRY POTTER

16 INT. REPTILE HOUSE - THE ZOO – SURREY? – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991
DUDLEY DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
HARRY POTTER
HARRY POTTER
HARRY POTTER
PIERS POLKISS
DUDLEY DURSLEY
SNAKE

17 INT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991
DUDLEY DURSLEY
PIERS POLKISS
PIERS POLKISS

18 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
YOUNG HARRY POTTER
PETUNIA DURSLEY

19 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
DUDLEY DURSLEY

20 INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY

21 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
PETUNIA DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
DUDLEY DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

23 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY

25 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY

26 INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY

27 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING - 24/7/1991
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY
HARRY POTTER
VERNON DURSLEY

28 INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING – 25/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
PETUNIA DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

29 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 26/7/1991
DUDLEY DURSLEY

30 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 27/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

31 INT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS - 29/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY

34 INT. DINING ROOM - RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991
HOTEL OWNER
HOTEL OWNER
VERNON DURSLEY

35 INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991
PETUNIA DURSLEY
DUDLEY DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

36 EXT. COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991
VERNON DURSLEY
VERNON DURSLEY

Dialogue report:    

EXT. HALL OF PROPHECY

SYBILL TRELAWNEY (V.O.)
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord…

VOLDEMORT (V.O.)
Avada Kedavra!

SYBILL TRELAWNEY (V.O.)
…approaches…
3 INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING – 1/11/1981

BABY DUDLEY DURSLEY
Shan't!

5 EXT./INT. SURREY – MORNING – 1/11/1981

CLOAKED PERSON 1
The Potters, that’s right, that’s what I heard…

CLOAKED PERSON 2
…yes, their son, Harry…

6 INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING – 1/11/1981

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Evening.

VERNON DURSLEY
Evening.

TELEVISION – JIM MCGUFFIN (O.S.)
It’s not only the owls that have been acting oddly today.

Viewers as far apart as Kent, Yorkshire and Dundee have been phoning in to tell me they've had a downpour of shooting stars! Perhaps people have been celebrating Bonfire Night early – it’s not until next week, folks!

VERNON DURSLEY
Er…Petunia.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Yes?

VERNON DURSLEY
You haven’t heard from you’re your sister lately?

PETUNIA DURSLEY
No. Why?

VERNON DURSLEY
Funny stuff on the news (He motions his hand towards it) Owls, shooting stars, and there were a lot of funny-looking people in town today. I thought, maybe, it was something to do with, you know, her lot.

VERNON DURSLEY
Their son, about Dudley’s age, wouldn't he be, what’s his name again? Howard, isn't it

PETUNIA DURSLEY
(Still making dinner) Harry, nasty common name isn't it?

VERNON DURSLEY
Yes I quite agree.

8 EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1-2/11/1981

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
My dear Professor, I've never seen a cat sit so stiffly.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You can’t blame them. We've had precious little to celebrate for eleven years.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
A fine thing it would be if, on the very day You-Know-Who seems to have disappeared at last, the Muggles found out about us all. (Pause) I suppose he really has gone, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It certainly seems so.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What they’re saying is that night You-Know-Who went to Godric's Hollow to find the Potters. The rumour is that Lily and James Potter are… are… that they’re dead.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I know, I know.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(sniffing) That’s not all. They’re saying he tried to kill their son, Harry. But, he couldn't. (pause) No one knows why, or how, but they’re saying that when he couldn't kill Harry Potter, You-Know-Who’s power somehow broke, and that’s why he’s gone.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
It’s… it’s true? After all the people he’s killed, he couldn't kill a little boy? But how did Harry survive?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I've come to bring Harry to the only family he now has left.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You can’t mean the people who live here? You couldn't find any other people who are less like us. Harry Potter come and live here!

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It’s the best place for him. His aunt and uncle will be able to explain everything to him when he’s older. I've written them a letter.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid’s bring him.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You think it (Pause) wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
I’m not saying his heart isn't in the right place but…

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What was that?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

RUBEUS HAGRID
Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir. Young Sirius Black lent it me. (Pause) I got him sir.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
No problems, were there?

RUBEUS HAGRID
No, sir – house was almost destroyed, but I got him out OK.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Is that where…?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Couldn't you do something about it, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Even if I could, I wouldn't. Scars can come in handy. (Pause) Well, we’d better get this over with.

RUBEUS HAGRID

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Well, that’s that. We've no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations.

RUBEUS HAGRID

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Professor McGonagall

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Good luck, Harry

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Up! Get up! Now!

9 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Get a move on; I want you to look after the bacon. Don’t you dare let it burn, for Duddy's birthday!

10 INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – A LITTLE LATER - 23/6/1991

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And we’ll buy you another two presents while we’re out today. How’s that, popkin? Two more presents.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
...nine, sweetums

VERNON DURSLEY
Little tyke wants his money’s worth, just like his father. 'Atta boy, Dudley!

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Bad news, Vernon. Mrs Figg's broken her leg. She can’t take him.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Now what?

VERNON DURSLEY
We could phone Marge.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Don’t be silly, Vernon, she hates the boy.

HARRY POTTER

PETUNIA DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

PETUNIA DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Dinky Duddydums, don’t cry.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
They’re here!

VERNON DURSLEY
You've managed to get your way, boy. (pause) But, I’m warning you now (pause) any funny business, anything at all and you’ll be in that cupboard for a month.

HARRY POTTER

15 INT. / EXT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY? – MID-MORNING - 23/6/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
MOTORBIKES DON’T FLY!

HARRY POTTER
I know they don’t.

HARRY POTTER
It was only a dream.

16 INT. REPTILE HOUSE - THE ZOO – SURREY? – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make it move.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Do it again.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
This is boring.

HARRY POTTER

HARRY POTTER

HARRY POTTER
Was it nice there?

HARRY POTTER
Oh, I see...

PIERS POLKISS
DUDLEY! MR DURSLEY! COME AND LOOK AT THIS SNAKE! YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT IT’S DOING!

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Out of the way, you.

SNAKE

17 INT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PIERS POLKISS

PIERS POLKISS
Harry was talking to it, weren't you, Harry?

18 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

YOUNG HARRY POTTER (V.O.)
How did I get my scar?

PETUNIA DURSLEY (V.O.)

19 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make Harry get it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry.

HARRY POTTER
Make Dudley get it.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

20 INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)

21 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER
That’s MINE!

VERNON DURSLEY
Who’d be writing to you?

HARRY POTTER
P-P-Petunia!

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
Get out, both of you

HARRY POTTER
I WANT MY LETTER!

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Let me see it!

VERNON DURSLEY
OUT!

23 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Vernon, look at the address – how could they possibly know where he sleeps? You don’t think they’re watching the house?

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

25 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY
No. No, we’ll ignore it. If they don’t get an answer … yes, that’s best … we won’t do anything…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But…

26 INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)
I’m not having one in the house, Petunia! Didn't we swear when we took him in we’d stamp out that dangerous nonsense?

27 INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING - 24/7/1991

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
SILENCE!

VERNON DURSLEY
Er – yes, Harry – about this cupboard. Your aunt and I have been thinking … you’re really getting a bit big for it … we think it might be nice if you moved into Dudley’s second bedroom.

HARRY POTTER
Why?

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t ask questions!

28 INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING – 25/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Oh, these people’s minds work in strange ways, Petunia, they’re not like you and me

29 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 26/7/1991

DUDLEY DURSLEY

30 INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 27/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!
31 INT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS - 29/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY
34 INT. DINING ROOM - RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991

HOTEL OWNER

HOTEL OWNER

VERNON DURSLEY
I'll take them
35 INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.
36 EXT. COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY

Script so far:    

PS: Up to The Keeper of the Keys1 - EXT. Hall of Prophecy

A GLASS ORB is ZOOMED IN on. INSIDE THE ORB, GREY CLOUDS form, and a LOUD, HOARSE, HARSH voice is heard:

SYBILL TRELAWNEY (V.O.)
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord…

But the voice is CUT OFF with another voice, HIGH and COLD, and a GREEN LIGHT FILLS THE SCREEN.

VOLDEMORT (V.O.)
Avada Kedavra!

SYBILL TRELAWNEY (V.O.)
…approaches…

And as the CLOUDS CAN BE SEEN AGAIN, the TITLE ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ FILLS THE SCREEN.

THE CLOUDS DISAPPEAR and...

2 - EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE - MORNING - 1/11/1981

...a SIMPLE SUBURBAN HOUSE can be seen, baked on by the BRIGHT SUN. A CAT walks INTO FRAME and sits on the house’s BRICK FENCE. The title FADES leaving a shot of the house.

CUT TO:

3 - INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING – 1/11/1981

CLOSE UP SHOT of an EXTREMELY BORING TIE. The camera ZOOMS OUT to see the REFLECTION of VERNON DURSLEY, a man in his EARLY 20S, in the KITCHEN MIRROR. The MIRRORED VERSION of Vernon smiles to himself. He picks up his SUITCASE and walks over to his wife, PETUNIA DURSLEY, also in her EARLY 20S. The KISS ON THE CHECK he gives her is VIEWED THROUGH THE MIRROR. Petunia notices the mirror and looks at herself and Vernon through it smiling.

A CLATTER and a SPLATTER…

BABY DUDLEY DURSLEY
Shan't!

1-YEAR-OLD DUDLEY DURSLEY has dropped his BOWL OF CEREAL in protest. Petunia rushes over to help as...

4 - EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE - MORNING - 1/11/1981

...the CAMERA FLIES OUT of the room, past the cat still sitting on the brick wall, watch Vernon get into his CAR, past the many OWLS now circulating the sky…

5 - EXT./INT. SURREY – MORNING – 1/11/1981

…and to the odd people DRESSED IN CLOAKS…

CLOAKED PERSON 1
The Potters, that’s right, that’s what I heard…

CLOAKED PERSON 2
…yes, their son, Harry…

…who MOVE to show Vernon in his car, WINDOWS DOWN, face covered with DREAD, SHOCK and FEAR.

CUT TO:

6 - INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING – 1/11/1981

Vernon walks into the KITCHEN. Petunia is busy making DINNER.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Evening.

Vernon replies, not with Petunia’s PLEASANT tones, but quite EMPTY.

VERNON DURSLEY
Evening.

A voice FADES IN.

TELEVISION – JIM MCGUFFIN (O.S.)
It’s not only the owls that have been acting oddly today.

The TELEVISION has got Vernon’s attention. Its SCREEN fills the screen.

Viewers as far apart as Kent, Yorkshire and Dundee have been phoning in to tell me they've had a downpour of shooting stars! Perhaps people have been celebrating Bonfire Night early – it’s not until next week, folks!

Finally, he decides to talk to Petunia

VERNON DURSLEY
Er…Petunia.

Petunia doesn't look up, but replies

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Yes?

VERNON DURSLEY
You haven’t heard from you’re your sister lately?

Petunia STOPS EVERYTHING SHE IS DOING and replies RUDELY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
No. Why?

VERNON DURSLEY
Funny stuff on the news
(He motions his hand towards it)
Owls, shooting stars, and there were a lot of funny-looking people in town today. I thought, maybe, it was something to do with, you know, her lot.

Petunia sniffs, IN A WAY OF A REPLY, and continues to prepare dinner. Vernon looks A LITTLE SCARED to say his next sentence.

VERNON DURSLEY
Their son, about Dudley’s age, wouldn't he be, what’s his name again? Howard, isn't it

PETUNIA DURSLEY
(Still making dinner)
Harry, nasty common name isn't it?

Camera starts to ZOOM IN on Vernon, which is horribly UNSETTLED

VERNON DURSLEY
Yes I quite agree.

7 - INT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1/11/1981

Vernon is lying in his BED, deep in thought. He shrugs of his thoughts and goes to sleep. The camera PASSES THROUGH THE WINDOW to…

8 - EXT. 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE EVENING – 1-2/11/1981

…the cat which is still sitting on the brick fence. It is STIFF and LOOKING IN ONE DIRECTION. The camera then shows that the ROAD is DESERTED. It slowly lays to rests on one of the STREET LAMPS.

POP. Pause. Then a DIFFERENT POP as the lamp EXTINGUISHES. The camera CUTS BACK to the cat, which is now MOVING ITS HEAD. The lamp NEAREST THE BRICK WALL extinguishes with another POP. The camera then CUTS to an ELDERLY MAN (ALBUS DUMBLEDORE) standing in the once deserted street, he is putting away an OBJECT WHICH LOOKS LIKE A CIGARETTE LIGHTER (DELUMINATOR). Dumbledore sits next to the cat on the fence and, AFTER A MOMENT’S PAUSE, turns and speaks to it.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

THE CAMERA TURNS to see that the cat is TRANSFORMING INTO A WOMAN in her LATE 50S, WEARING A CLOAK.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
My dear Professor, I've never seen a cat sit so stiffly.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

AlBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(Angrily)
Oh yes, everyone’s celebrating, all right. Even the Muggles have noticed something’s going on.
McGonagall points to NUMBER FOUR, PRIVET DRIVE

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
You can’t blame them. We've had precious little to celebrate for eleven years.

Pause. McGonagall seems angry.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
A fine thing it would be if, on the very day You-Know-Who seems to have disappeared at last, the Muggles found out about us all.
(Pause)
I suppose he really has gone, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It certainly seems so.

Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Dumbledore says nothing.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What they’re saying is that night You-Know-Who went to Godric's Hollow to find the Potters. The rumour is that Lily and James Potter are… are… that they’re dead.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I know, I know.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
(sniffing)
That’s not all. They’re saying he tried to kill their son, Harry. But, he couldn't.
(pause)
No one knows why, or how, but they’re saying that when he couldn't kill Harry Potter, You-Know-Who’s power somehow broke, and that’s why he’s gone.

Dumbledore nods.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
It’s… it’s true? After all the people he’s killed, he couldn't kill a little boy? But how did Harry survive?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Pause.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
I've come to bring Harry to the only family he now has left.

McGonagall is confused, but not for long, as Dumbledore looks up at 4 Privet Drive, and McGonagall is suddenly shocked.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You can’t mean the people who live here? You couldn't find any other people who are less like us. Harry Potter come and live here!

Dumbledore speaks reasonably calm.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
It’s the best place for him. His aunt and uncle will be able to explain everything to him when he’s older. I've written them a letter.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Dumbledore still looks at the house and does not reply. Pause.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Hagrid’s bring him.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
You think it
(Pause)
wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?

Dumbledore turns on McGonagall, but speaks calm.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
I’m not saying his heart isn't in the right place but…

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
What was that?

McGonagall and Dumbledore get of the brick wall and look down the deserted street. The rumble is getting LOUDER. When McGonagall finishes her search, she looks to Dumbledore, who is looking at the sky. A GIANT MOTORBIKE is landing. On the motorbike is RUBEUS HAGRID, an EXTREMELY TALL MAN (HALF-GIANT) in his EARLY 50S. He gets off, carrying a BUNDLE OF BLANKETS.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

RUBEUS HAGRID
Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir. Young Sirius Black lent it me.
(Pause)
I got him sir.

Hagrid looks down at the blankets. A 1-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER is sleeping inside them. Dumbledore addresses Hagrid.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
No problems, were there?

RUBEUS HAGRID
No, sir – house was almost destroyed, but I got him out OK.

Dumbledore and McGonagall observe the baby. It has BLACK HAIR and GREEN EYES. ON ITS FOREHEAD is a CUT, SHAPED LIKE LIGHTNING.

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Is that where…?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

MINERVA MCGONAGALL
Couldn't you do something about it, Dumbledore?

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Even if I could, I wouldn't. Scars can come in handy.
(Pause)
Well, we’d better get this over with.

RUBEUS HAGRID

Hagrid bends down and gives baby Harry a kiss, then lets out a saddened howl. McGonagall pats Hagrid on the arm. Dumbledore makes his way to the FRONT DOOR of number 4 and lays Harry on the DOORMAT. Dumbledore then takes out a LETTER and tucks it in Harry’s blankets. Dumbledore walks back and the three of them stand silently for a while, staring at baby Harry.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Well, that’s that. We've no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations.

RUBEUS HAGRID

Still moping up his tears, Hagrid gets back on the bike and departs. IN A WAY OF REPLY, Dumbledore says…

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Professor McGonagall

McGonagall simply blows her nose. Dumbledore walks back out to road. He pulls out the Deluminator and clicks it once: ALL THE STREET LIGHTS COME BACK TO LIFE. He looks back at 4 Privet Drive where a TABBY CAT can now be seen, slowly departing.

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
Good luck, Harry

Baby Harry turns in his sleep, clutching Dumbledore’s letter.

CUT TO:

DARKNESS

Suddenly a shrill voice is heard.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Up! Get up! Now!

9 - INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

A 10-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER wakes. It is heard that Petunia leaves and muddles around in the kitchen.

Harry turns on his side. Through Harry’s P.O.V. muffled visions of a flying motorbike can be seen in front of the wall.

Suddenly, Petunia voice can be heard again.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Get a move on; I want you to look after the bacon. Don’t you dare let it burn, for Duddy's birthday!

10 - INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – A LITTLE LATER - 23/6/1991

Harry is now serving the BACON to Vernon. Petunia (in her 30s too) and DUDLEY DURSLEY, an obese, blond, 11-year-old, enter. Dudley starts to count the presents, but is displeased.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

Dudley gets angry. His hands are both on the table. Harry takes his plate to the kitchen and continues to eat there. Petunia speaks in a rush, improvising

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And we’ll buy you another two presents while we’re out today. How’s that, popkin? Two more presents.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
...nine, sweetums

He is happy, so he begins to unwrap his presents. Vernon chuckles. The. TELEPHONE suddenly RINGS. Petunia goes to answer it.

VERNON DURSLEY

He ruffles Dudley’s hair, but Dudley isn't paying attention. He has just unwrapped a REMOTE CONTROL AEROPLANE and has dived for another present.

None of the telephone conversation is heard. Harry just continues eating and Dudley rips the wrapping of a cine-camera and a computer game. Petunia eventually comes back, both angry and worried.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Petunia jerks her head towards the kitchen, where Harry is still looking after the bacon. Dudley finally looks up, his mouth open in horror; ripping the wrapping he had just been holding as he does so, showing a gold wrist-watch.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Now what?

VERNON DURSLEY
We could phone Marge.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Harry speaks up.

HARRY POTTER

PETUNIA DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

Petunia speaks the next words slowly

PETUNIA DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

And she hugs her son.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

Dudley gives Harry a nasty grin through his mother’s arms. Suddenly the doorbell rings. Petunia lets go of Dudley and he stop to cry at once.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
They’re here!

She and Dudley rush to the front door. Vernon stays with Harry, making up his mind.

VERNON DURSLEY
You've managed to get your way, boy.
(pause)
But, I’m warning you now
(pause)
any funny business, anything at all and you’ll be in that cupboard for a month.

HARRY POTTER

But Harry isn't seem to be able to mean the last word. As the sentence completes, the camera zooms in on Harry and a series of flashbacks begin.

11 - INT. A SCHOOL CLASSROOM - MIDDAY

12 - INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE

Petunia tries to force a JUMPER over Harry’s head. It shrinks and shrinks until it is so small it would fit a glove puppet.

13 - EXT. SCHOOL - LUNCHTIME

Dudley, PIERS POLKISS and some other of HIS GANG are chasing Harry. Harry tries to jump behind a BIN, but finds himself on the ROOF.

14 - INT. THE KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 23/6/1991

We return to the original scene, and Harry is rather unsettled.

15 - INT. / EXT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY? – MID-MORNING - 23/6/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

Vernon nearly crashes into the car in front. He turns around in his seat to look at Harry

VERNON DURSLEY
MOTORBIKES DON’T FLY!

HARRY POTTER
I know they don’t.

HARRY POTTER
It was only a dream.

The camera tracks away,

FADES

16 - INT. REPTILE HOUSE - THE ZOO – SURREY? – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

...and PANS DOWN to a GLASS CAGE of the LARGEST SNAKE, a BOA CONSTRICTOR. It is fast asleep. Dudley runs up to it and presses his nose against the glass, frowns, then turns to his father.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make it move.

Vernon taps on the glass, but the snake doesn't move.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Do it again.

Vernon taps the glass again, but still nothing happens

DUDLEY DURSLEY
This is boring.

And he moves away, Harry, however, stays looking in on the snake relating to it.

HARRY POTTER

The snake then opens its eyes and slowly raises its head so that it is level with Harry’s. The snake nods. Harry looks around, then back at the snake. Pause.

HARRY POTTER

The snake points its tail at the SIGN next to the glass. It reads ‘Boa Constrictor, Brazil.’

HARRY POTTER
Was it nice there?

The snake points again to the sign. Beneath it is a SMALLER SIGN. It reads ‘This specimen was bred in the zoo.’

HARRY POTTER
Oh, I see...

PIERS POLKISS

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Out of the way, you.

And he punches Harry in the ribs. Harry falls onto the CONCRETE FLOOR. Piers and Dudley lean right up to the glass then suddenly they become unsteady as the GLASS DISAPPEARS. The snake uncoils itself and slithers out of its cage, onto the floor. People scream and run for the exits. The snake goes past Harry (on the floor) and a voice can be heard…

SNAKE

And it slithers out the door; Harry follows it with his eyes, a little confused.

17 - INT. THE DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

The Dursleys, Harry and Piers are all in the Dursley’s car, all looking a little scared and lost for words, except Dudley and Piers

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PIERS POLKISS

PIERS POLKISS

Harry is lost for words. Vernon turns and looks at Harry with menace over his face.

18 - INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE AFTERNOON - 23/6/1991

VERNON DURSLEY

Vernon pushes Harry into his cupboard. Harry lies in bed, but doesn't go to sleep.

How did I get my scar?

PETUNIA DURSLEY (V.O.)

The room is suddenly filled with green light, as though Harry is remembering it.

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN TO:

19 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Harry is now eating A SINGLE PIECE OF TOAST at the KITCHEN TABLE. Vernon is carrying the newspaper. He unfolds it and begins to read it when he is seated. Dudley is carrying his SMELTINGS STICK. He places this next to the large serving of BACON AND EGGS he was just given by Petunia. She places Vernon’s on the table, and as she is just about to return to the kitchen, the NOISE OF LETTERS DELIVERED is heard. Petunia stops dead for a slight moment, then continues back to the kitchen.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make Harry get it.

Vernon takes down the newspaper and notices for the first time that Harry is in the room.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry.

HARRY POTTER
Make Dudley get it.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

And Dudley, happy for an excuse to use it, reaches for his Smeltings stick, while shoveling food in with his other hand. He turns around and finds Harry has already gone past.

20 - INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Harry walks to the pile of letters lying on the MAT glumly. He picks them up and they are shown to the audience: A POSTCARD SHOWING ISLE OF WIGHT AND A FAT WOMAN, AUNT MARGE, WHO LOOKS LIKE VERNON; A BILL; and A LETTER OF YELLOW PARCHMENT WITH THE WORDS: Mr H. Potter, The Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey WRITTEN ON IN GREEN INK. Harry stares at the letter, it is unbelievable. He turns it over to see A COAT OF ARMS FORMED BY A LION, EAGLE, BADGER AND SNAKE AROUND AN ‘H’ ON A PURPLE WAX SEAL. Then…

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)

Vernon chuckles at his own joke. Harry is out of his trance and motions towards the door.

21 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Harry walks back in, still staring at his letter. It is separate to the bill and postcard now and he hands this to Vernon, who is still behind the newspaper.

VERNON DURSLEY
Marge’s ill.
(speaking to Petunia )
Ate a funny whelk…

DUDLEY DURSLEY

Harry is shown to be just about to be unfolding the LETTER inside, but it is forced away my Vernon.

HARRY POTTER
That’s MINE!

VERNON DURSLEY
Who’d be writing to you?

Petunia looks at Harry and the letter, looking as though she thinks she knows this answer, but at the same time doesn't want to know the answer. Vernon opens the letter and on first glance is frozen, and terrified.

VERNON DURSLEY
P-P-Petunia!

Dudley reaches this time. Harry just looks confused. Petunia, thinking she knows what it is, takes it from Vernon. She reads it for about 2 seconds and when she finishes, she looks as though she is about to faint, but chokes a few words.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

They stare at each other. Dudley gives Vernon a hit on the head with his Smeltings stick for being ignored.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
Get out, both of you

He stuffs the letter in his pocket. Neither move.

HARRY POTTER
I WANT MY LETTER!

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Let me see it!

VERNON DURSLEY
OUT!

Vernon chucks them out of the room.

22 - INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUING - 24/7/1991

Vernon slams the door in their faces. Harry and Dudley have a silent fight over the keyhole.

23 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

24 - INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Harry is lying on his stomach listening through the crack under the kitchen door. The light shifts around in the crack, and a shot shows feet pacing.

25 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

Vernon stops pacing

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But…

26 - INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING - 24/7/1991

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)
I’m not having one in the house, Petunia! Didn't we swear when we took him in we’d stamp out that dangerous nonsense?

27 - INT. THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING - 24/7/1991

Harry is still lying in the same position, though on the CRAMPED BED that is stuffed in the cupboard. The door opens, Harry turns around it is Vernon. He looks out of place in the DUSTY, SPIDER-FILLED cupboard

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
SILENCE!

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER
Why?

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t ask questions!

28 - INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING – 25/7/1991

Vernon is nailing up the mailbox. Harry is walking down the stairs and stops. Vernon addresses Petunia who is offering fruitcake. Neither notices Harry.

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY

29 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 26/7/1991

Petunia opens a new packet of eggs. She cracks one. No yolk. She cracks another. No yolk again. This time she spots a piece of parchment. It’s a letter. She pulls it out, unfolds it, then turns to Vernon, who is reading the newspaper, Dudley and Harry, showing it, frowning. Dudley turns to Harry.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

30 - INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – NEXT MORNING – 27/7/1991

Harry looks saddened. Vernon is gleefully spreading marmalade on his toast, sometimes spreading on the newspaper in his excitement.

VERNON DURSLEY

He raises his knife and smiles. Then frowns. A letter has just hit him in the back of his head. He turns to the fireplace which is now rumbling. Everyone’s attention is on it.

And suddenly 50 letters come bursting through the grate, Harry jumps up to try and catch one but…

VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!

Vernon grabs Harry around the middle as he tries to grab a letter and shoves him into the hall. Petunia and Dudley have already run for it.

31 - INT. HALL- 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS- 29/7/1991

Vernon slams the door so that none of the letters, which are still flying around the kitchen, don't reach the other room.

VERNON DURSLEY

32 - EXT. RAILVEIW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - EVENING - 29/7/1991

Fades to:

33 - EXT. RAILVEIW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991

The same hotel. Morning.

34 - INT. DINNING ROOM - RAILVIEW HOTEL - COKEWORTH - MORNING - 30/7/1991

The Dursleys and Harry are eating breakfast. The HOTEL OWNER comes over to them (Carrying a LETTER)

Hotel Owner

HOTEL OWNER

She holds up the letter. It reads "Mr H. Potter, Room 17, Railview Hotel, Cokeworth". Harry tries to grab it, but his reach is knocked away by Vernon...

VERNON DURSLEY
I'll take them

35 - INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Vernon ignores her, gets out of the car and locks Petunia, Dudley and Harry in it. THUNDER.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

36 - EXT. COAST - LATE AFTERNOON - 30/7/1991

Vernon is now holding a LONG THIN PACKAGE. He points to a rock out at sea, hardly visible. Even less visible is a SHACK on top of it.

VERNON DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
(to Harry)
Could do with some of those letters now, eh?

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 11th, 2007 at 6:53 am. Reason: full script
Old October 12th, 2007, 8:58 pm

I must say, cutting is hard.

I'm back to the 'I've written tons' part, so am cutting, or trying.

I have 28 scenes to fiddle with
---

I've just finished my cut for 'The Letters from No One'. I cut like two lines. The only other part I felt I could cut was Railview Hotel, but part of me wants to keep it.

Should I keep it?

Option A:    

PS:The Letters From No One+HotelINT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (29/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

EXT. RAILVIEW HOTEL, COKEWORTH - EVENING (29/7/1991)

Fades to:

EXT. RAILVIEW HOTEL, COKEWORTH - MORNING (30/7/1991)

The same hotel. Morning.

INT. DINING ROOM - RAILVIEW HOTEL, COKEWORTH - MORNING (30/7/1991)

HOTEL OWNER

HOTEL OWNER

VERNON DURSLEY
I'll take them

INT. DURSLEY'S CAR - COAST - LATE AFTERNOON (30/7/1991)

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

Option B:    

PS:The Letters From No OneINT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (29/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

Update: I have decided to rid the hotel, hence changing the dates (not that it really matters)

I've finished the third draft as I called it to the shack point.

First>Third differences.
55>33 scenes
33>23 pages
24>16 speaking characters

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 14th, 2007 at 4:46 am. Reason: I'm Bored
Old October 14th, 2007, 4:30 am

Quote:

Though, I always think the beginning of the HP films have been rushed.
I think that scripts can't estimate the time of the movie, cause I just found that CoS's script is shorter than PoA's and CoS/film is longer than PoA.

PS: Where is everyone else, I've posted 3 times in a row! (13 if you include edits)

Edit: The page numbering systems gone kaput. Now that I scroll down, it says 138 of 99 for CoS and 129 of 113 for PoA. They are probably the same (The formatting in the scripts aren't perfect)

Edit 2: I forgot to put this up:

I have finally finished the next HUGE chunk (CH 2 and 3). It was hard. I think it is still a bit too long, but it is nothing like it was when it had Mrs Figg in there.

PS: Dudley's Birthday, The Vanishing Glass, The Letters From No OneDARKNESS

Suddenly a shrill voice is heard.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Up! Get up! Now!

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (23/6/1991)

A 10-YEAR-OLD HARRY POTTER wakes. It is heard that Petunia leaves and muddles around in the kitchen.

Harry turns on his side. Through Harry’s P.O.V. muffled visions of a flying motorbike can be seen in front of the wall.

Suddenly, Petunia voice can be heard again.

PETUNIA DURSLEY (O.S.)
Get a move on! I want you to look after the bacon, and don’t you dare let it burn on Duddy's birthday!

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (A LITTLE LATER) (23/6/1991)

Harry is now serving the BACON to Vernon and Petunia (both in their 30s). DUDLEY DURSLEY, an obese, blond, 11-year-old, is finishing counting the presents, but is displeased.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

Dudley gets angry. His hands are both on the table. Harry takes his plate to the kitchen and eats there. Petunia speaks in a rush, improvising

PETUNIA DURSLEY
And we’ll buy you another two presents while we’re out today. How’s that, popkin?

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
...nine, sweetums

He is happy, so he begins to unwrap his presents. Vernon chuckles. The. TELEPHONE suddenly RINGS. Petunia goes to answer it.

VERNON DURSLEY

He ruffles Dudley’s hair, but Dudley isn't paying attention. He has just unwrapped a REMOTE CONTROL AEROPLANE and has dived for another present.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Petunia jerks her head towards the kitchen, where Harry is still eating. Dudley finally looks up, his mouth open in horror; ripping the wrapping he had just been holding as he does so, showing a gold wrist-watch.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Now what?

VERNON DURSLEY
We could phone Marge.

PETUNIA DURSLEY

Harry speaks up.

HARRY POTTER

PETUNIA DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

Petunia looks at Harry for a second, eyebrows raised.

She then speaks her next words slowly

PETUNIA DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

And she hugs her son.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
They’re here!

She and Dudley rush to the front door. Vernon stays with Harry, making up his mind. Then:

VERNON DURSLEY
You've managed to get your way, boy. But, (pause) I’m warning you (pause) any funny business, anything at all and you’ll be in that cupboard for a month.

HARRY POTTER

But Harry isn't seem to be able to mean the last word. As the sentence completes, the camera zooms in on Harry and a series of flashbacks begin.

INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM - DAY

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE

EXT. SCHOOL - MIDDAY

Dudley, PIERS POLKISS and some other of HIS GANG are chasing Harry. Harry tries to jump behind a BIN, but finds himself on the ROOF.

INT. KITCHEN - 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (23/6/1991)

We return to the original scene, and Harry is rather unsettled.

EXT./INT. DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY? – LATE MORNING (23/6/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
MOTORBIKES DON’T FLY!

HARRY POTTER
I know they don’t.

HARRY POTTER
It was only a dream.

The camera tracks away,...

...FADES,...

INT. REPTILE HOUSE, ZOO – AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

...and PANS DOWN to a GLASS CAGE of the LARGEST SNAKE, a BOA CONSTRICTOR. It is fast asleep. Dudley runs up to it and presses his nose against the glass, frowns, then turns to his father.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make it move.

Vernon taps on the glass, but the snake doesn't move.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Do it again.

Vernon taps the glass again, but still nothing happens

DUDLEY DURSLEY
This is boring.

HARRY POTTER

The snake then opens its eyes and slowly raises its head so that it is level with Harry’s. The snake nods. Harry looks around, then back at the snake. Pause.

HARRY POTTER

HARRY POTTER
Was it nice there?

HARRY POTTER
Oh, I see...

PIERS POLKISS
Dudley! Mr Dursley! Come and look at this snake! You won’t believe what it’s doing!

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Out of the way, you.

SNAKE

And it slithers out the door. Harry follows it with his eyes, a little confused.

INT. DURSLEY’S CAR – SURREY – AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

DUDLEY DURSLEY

PIERS POLKISS

PIERS POLKISS

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE AFTERNOON (23/6/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

Vernon pushes Harry into his cupboard. Harry lies in bed, but doesn't go to sleep.

How did I get my scar?

PETUNIA DURSLEY (V.O.)

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN TO:

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – MORNING (24/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Dudley.

DUDLEY DURSLEY
Make Harry get it.

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry.

HARRY POTTER
Make Dudley get it.

Vernon looks back at the paper and says plainly...

VERNON DURSLEY
Get the mail, Harry

Harry looks at Dudley, who is shovelling food in his mouth, then leaves the room.

INT. ENTRANCE – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (24/7/1991)

Harry walks to the pile of letters lying on the MAT glumly. He picks them up and they are shown to the audience: A POSTCARD SHOWING THE ISLE OF WIGHT AND A FAT WOMAN, AUNT MARGE, WHO LOOKS LIKE VERNON; A BILL; and A LETTER OF YELLOW PARCHMENT WITH THE WORDS: Mr H. Potter, The Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey WRITTEN ON IN GREEN INK. Harry stares at the letter, it is unbelievable. He turns it over to see A COAT OF ARMS FORMED BY A LION, EAGLE, BADGER AND SNAKE AROUND AN ‘H’ ON A PURPLE WAX SEAL. Then…

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)
Hurry up, boy!

Harry is out of his trance and motions towards the door.

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (24/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER
That’s MINE!

VERNON DURSLEY
Who’d be writing to you?

Petunia looks at Harry and the letter, looking as though she thinks she knows this answer, but at the same time doesn't want to know the answer. Vernon opens the letter and on first glance is frozen, and terrified.

VERNON DURSLEY
P-P-Petunia!

PETUNIA DURSLEY

They stare at each other.

DUDLEY DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
Get out, both of you. OUT!

He stuffs the letter in his pocket and chucks them out of the room.

PETUNIA DURSLEY
Vernon, how could they possibly know where he sleeps? You don’t think they’re watching the house?

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But what should we do, Vernon? Tell them we don’t want…

Vernon stops pacing

VERNON DURSLEY
No. No, we’ll ignore it. If they don’t get an answer … yes, we won’t do anything…

PETUNIA DURSLEY
But…

VERNON DURSLEY (O.S.)

INT. CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – EVENING (24/7/1991)

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY

HARRY POTTER

VERNON DURSLEY
SILENCE!

VERNON DURSLEY
Er – yes – about this cupboard. Your aunt and I have been thinking … we think it might be nice if you moved into Dudley’s second bedroom.

HARRY POTTER
Why?

Vernon looks at Harry threatening.

VERNON DURSLEY
Don’t - ask - questions!

INT. HALL – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – LATE MORNING (25/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – (NEXT) MORNING (26/7/1991)

DUDLEY DURSLEY

INT. KITCHEN – 4 PRIVET DRIVE – (NEXT) MORNING (27/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Out! OUT!

INT. HALL - 4 PRIVET DRIVE - CONTINUOUS ACTION - MORNING (29/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

PETUNIA DURSLEY

DUDLEY DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY
Found the perfect place.

EXT. COAST - LATE AFTERNOON (30/7/1991)

VERNON DURSLEY

VERNON DURSLEY

Last edited by ArryGrotter; October 20th, 2007 at 12:06 am. Reason: Forgot about that
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies