Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old June 11th, 2017, 4:22 am
Member of the Order

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

The Mummy
I think this movie was better than the general hate seems to play out. But I admit that I may be biased in that I wanted to like it.
One positive that can be said is that the trailers don't give away certain things...(That's pretty rare nowadays)
The actors did the job. It's the damn script and direction that needed to be better.
This movie is supposed to be the first in this "Dark Universe." Which means I think earlier monster movies don't get to play in this universe.
Spoiler: show
The whole idea of the "Prodigium" is more of a lab/science place to study and eradicate any evil entities, led ostensibly by Dr. Jeckyll. (We do see him having his usual personality issue once that I recall...oh, and his employees are fully aware of it)
The whole of this "Prodigum" needed to be far more fleshed out. Instead we had to be satisfied with the camera panning back and forth among tables where there were items that looked very intriguing.
And then there's what happens in the end where our hero gets partially possessed by the Egyptian god of evil, Set. (Yes, I know...but in this Dark Universe Set is equated to Satan here...*eyeroll* He's also a god resurrection of some sort.)
So Tom Cruise's character is a potential walking bad mutha of a god at the end of the movie. I think that puts him atop the monster heap...
Oh, and there is a nod to the earlier Mummy movie when Jenny knocks out a guard using the Book of the Dead, the lock-key mechanism clearing visible on the cover

This could have been so much better had they fully fleshed out some ideas.
Overall I was entertained, but I see a hell of a missed opportunity for something really epic.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)

Last edited by Midnightsfire; June 11th, 2017 at 4:26 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2017, 7:33 pm
Curse Breaker

I was never enthused about the concept. Not the Brendan Fraser stuff and I was mystified as to why Tom Cruise was spending his time on this. His pitch is that he loved the Dark Universe films as a kid and The Mummy in particular. Now, that might very well be true and it could explain his decision. Or it could be that he worked up a plausible humanizing story to cover anticipation of a series of huge paychecks for things that never interested him before. I'll hope for option 1.

Guardians 2 was excellent and I was astonished by how good Wonder Woman was. Makes me wonder what Patty Jenkins could have done to rescue Thor: The Dark World from itself. However, I'm impressed that she got absolutely everything she could have gotten out of Gal Gadot here.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 16th, 2017, 3:47 am
Member of the Order

War of the Planet of the Apes
Best movie I've seen this year. The script was brilliant. And when taken together with the prior two movies have to be the best written trilogy ever. (Not sure if that's saying much)
There are moments of startling poignancy in this rather grim movie that reminds us how human the apes have become.
Serkis still owns this. He wasn't a human playing an ape. He was an ape that had humanity.
Of course there are the special effects. But none so special as to how human they made the eyes of the apes. The subtlety seems rare considering the big budget sloppy stuff that other movies seem to have. And Reeves can make you feel wonder at the amount of emotion seen when he has the camera simply lock on the face of any of the apes for a moment.

A couple of scenes that got me:
Spoiler: show
The big ape that put a flower in the little girls hair...he came across as so macho earlier...and his expression to the others seemed to pugnaciously say "What're you looking at?"
------------
The little girl crying over that ape's body...
-------------
Caesar with the hatred clearly showing in his eyes, holding a gun to the Colonel's head...and that hatred draining away to be replaced by pity as he puts the gun down unfired. Both staring into each others eyes, one clearly a lost soul, the other...a soul redeemed. Moments earlier he had said he had too much of Koba in him...and then you saw his expression when he put the gun down.."Maybe not." And he was glad of it.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)

Last edited by Midnightsfire; July 16th, 2017 at 3:52 am.
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:55 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Get Out - 9/10. Enjoyed it immensely. Proper horror, with every scene having a double meaning that you fully understand only after you've watched it twice. Superbly acted!

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:27 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Hidden Figures--really enjoyed this movie! Fantastic acting in a great story that should be more well known than it is, a real paen to every unsung hero of the space program as well as a moving civil rights and women's rights story.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old September 16th, 2017, 3:22 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Wonder Woman--to preface, I haven't seen any of the other DCEU movies, so I can't compare it to anything in that series, but taken on it's own merits, this was a very good movie. The characters were well-developed, the acting was very well done, the action sequences were exciting and fast paced without being hard to follow. Diana had a great balance of ingenuousness and competence, and Gal Gadot did a fantastic job with that portrayal. Steve was highly competent, and I was pleased with how he was portrayed as being able to yield to Diana's superior abilities when the occasion demanded without ever being made to seem less capable. Chris Pine played the nuances of that very well. The supporting cast was interesting with stories of their own (and Robin Wright has come a long way since her Buttercup days!). Overall, I thought it was very well done.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old October 3rd, 2017, 4:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Home Again

5 of 10, and I think that's generous. There were some good bones here. Reese Witherspoon is reliable in this sort of role and has lately been giving it more depth on TV. Her kids were cute and cute/interesting. Her mother was one-not, but it's Candice Bergen so...*sigh* okay. But there were five "significant" male roles here and TOGETHER they didn't add up to a male lead. They either needed to flesh out Reese's story more with an expansion, get a second female lead for her to play off of, or start over with the male roles. The writer was okay. Everyone else was yawning personified. Imagine The Intern without De Niro. That's basically what this was. They needed a second strong character and didn't have one.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 4th, 2017, 7:09 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Beauty and the Beast--It was.....okay. The effects were good, the film looked beautiful, the actors were fine, but the movie didn't draw me in like the animated version did. None of the new songs really stayed with me the way the original soundtrack ones did (an absolute tribute to Howard Ashman's genius!), although there were no "bad" songs. The "gay Lefou moment" in the end is utterly inconsequential, and I doubt I would have paid attention to it at all if it hadn't been hyped up in the media the way it was. I don't know if I can't be objective about this, since the animated Beauty and the Beast from 1991 is my favorite Disney movie (hence my avatar), but I just wasn't enthralled. My 11 year old niece loved it, though. It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, it just doesn't top the original. I must admit, I have had this same reaction to every single Disney live-action adaptation from their original animated films. They have all been solidly okay, nothing more.

Newsies: The Broadway Musical--a film of a theatrical performance in Los Angeles with several of the original Broadway actors and some members of the touring company, this was great! The storyline was adapted from the original 1992 film (which was good, but sometimes silly), so there are some changes, including some new characters and new songs, but I think it works so much better as a Broadway show than it did as a regular film musical. The actors are fabulous, especially Jeremy Jordan as lead character Jack Kelly, Ben Fankhauser as Davey, and Andrew Keenan-Bolger as Crutchie. The dancing is fantastic, the story compelling, the set design works really well. If you don't like filmed performances of live theater shows, you won't like this, but as someone who does enjoy those types of shows, I'm really impressed.

Old October 16th, 2017, 5:06 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

I just saw the third Mad Max last night. Finally finished the trilogy. Pretty good. Thought the third one would have been more intense. Was surprised to see that it wasn't.

The acting was pretty good from everyone involved, but the tone was far different than the previous two films. It skewed more towards Hook in some ways (even though that film took place in the 90's -- this movie reminded me of it humor wise at points along with tone).

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old October 19th, 2017, 6:01 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Spiderman: Homecoming--after a fun introduction to Tom Holland's Spiderman in Captain America: Civil War, this is a great solo outing for the webslinger. Even though the previews focused a lot on Tony Stark/Iron Man, he wasn't actually in that much of the movie, so it really was a story of Peter Parker learning to be a superhero at the same time he's trying to get through high school. The relationship between Peter and his best friend Ned was well done and pretty grounded in the reality of how teenage boys might behave in real life if one of them developed super powers. Michael Keaton does a nice job as the villain, Vulture, whose character is also grounded in reality as the movie shows how and why he started down the road to becoming a villain. Tom Holland does a great job as Peter Parker, with humor, realistic adolescent angst, and lots of charm. Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It's not the best of the MCU films, but it's a worthy addition to the solo films and a very enjoyable take on Spidey. (I think I still like the first 2 Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies best, and I didn't see any of the Andrew Garfield films to be able to compare, but I like Holland's version of the character so far.)

Also, the Captain America PSAs are funny, and the final one at the end of the credits is hilarious!

Last edited by Anhelda; October 19th, 2017 at 6:04 am.
Old December 6th, 2017, 6:53 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Sing--cute and cliche. It was a surprise that Taron Edgerton can sing really well. A bit of harmless fluff, but nothing all that memorable. Nowhere as good as Zootopia for the "world populated with anthropomorphized animals" concept, but not a bad film.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion