Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Questions for the Americans v3.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:39 pm
Second Year

Re: Questions for the Americans v3.

Quote:
Two other grocery stores in Iowa include Eagle and Aldi (though, Aldi is a smaller, discount place).
Not in this part! They are probably more in the mid to eastern sections of Iowa...But we do have plenty of Dollar Generals and dollar stores!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:51 pm
Second Year

Actually, I just dissected a frog this week. We were going to dissect a fetal pig, but the school (thankfully) did not have enough money to buy them for the entire biology department. This year I also had to dissect a giant earthworm, a crayfish, and a starfish. I'm a freshman in high school, by the way.

The anatomy class at my school does a cat dissection, but I would never be able to do that. I happen to like cats.

And for my fellow myspacers:
Myspace

I trust Severus Snape.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_13
Why is YOUR alphabet song in the same tune as OUR Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? No I'm serious!

Infact, why did you just sing it out loud or in your head?
cuz it was the only song kindergarteners knew. what do you mean by your twinkle twinkle little star? we sing that too! i have a punk mix of it that i can play

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:47 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar
In the Southeast, the big chains are Publix, Pantry Pride, Winn Dixie (though now they are hanging on by their fingernails), and Albertson's.

There are other local supermarket chains that usually encompass 3-7 stores and are usually very popular for their more personalized service (especially local produce and goods).

I know in our city of over 100,000 inhabitants, we have no Super Wal-Mart or Target to buy food at, unless you just want snack foods. Publix is definitely the big dog here.

Every once in a while (while travelling) you'll see an A&P Food Store or an IGA but they are few and far between, usually long established and in an sparsley populated or remote area (these two used to be the top National chains).
Hmmm.... Let's see, where I live (at home, at college, and the areas close by), there's also Kroger, Ingles, Food Depot, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Aldi, and we do have Publix, and Super Wal-Mart.
As for department stores, we have Target, K-Mart, and (as mentioned before), Wal-Mart and Super Wal-Mart.

Oh, and for the person who wanted to know about skipping or 'cut' days, I know that when I was in highschool, we were allowed to exempt the final exam for a class (and cut that day, even though it was still an official school day) if we had a 93 average and five or fewer absences OR at least an 85 and three or fewer absences. Seniors could exempt their finals if they had five or fewer absences and at least an 80 average.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:00 am
Fifth Year

Thanks to everyone who answered! I've heard of Wal-Mart, I think here in the UK, ASDA is part of Wal-Mart. I've also heard of Aldi because we have one of those near us too! But I haven't heard of the others! The name 'Piggly Wiggly' made me a bit...er...giggly!!!

Last edited by Sharky; May 23rd, 2006 at 12:04 am.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 1:08 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by granger1019
Not in this part! They are probably more in the mid to eastern sections of Iowa...But we do have plenty of Dollar Generals and dollar stores!
Probably true, the representatives that I saw of those chains were in Dubuque....they also have a Walmart Super-center to contend with there...

Last edited by Pox Voldius; May 23rd, 2006 at 1:15 am.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 1:10 am
First Year

Yes, Aldi is all over the world now, but it originated in Germany. I've been to many German supermarkets now, and Aldi is strikingly similar to many of them, although some are also more like American supermarkets now.

I live in the St. Louis area and some of the popular supermarkets around here are Schnucks, Dierburgs, and Shop 'n Save. Also, while it's not in this area, I didn't see anyone mention Safeway.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot. While I was in 8th Grade, we had to dissect owl pellets. Then, we had to dissect rats my sophomore year in high school. Other honors and AP classes had to dissect fetal pigs and cats, but not us.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 5:00 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehangleton
I live in the St. Louis area and some of the popular supermarkets around here are Schnucks, Dierburgs, and Shop 'n Save. Also, while it's not in this area, I didn't see anyone mention Safeway.
Another St. Louis area person. ^_^ Yep, those were the three I was thinking of. And Save-A-Lot. ^_^ We used to have a Price Chopper down where I live, but it was bought out and changed hands a few times... it's a Dollar Tree now. ^_^

Old May 23rd, 2006, 6:11 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Do you disect animals at school? In Britain we only do that until college (17/18) but I was once told you do that in school.
Thanks!
I started dissecting in the 2nd grade (at 7 years old). Pretty early... we dissected squid. And then I dissected the frog in the seventh grade, and then something in the 8th but I don't remember what it was. I'm actually dissecting something next week, but the teacher hasn't told us what it is yet.... At all of my schools, it's never been required that you actually do the dissecting to pass or get points on an assignment though.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old May 23rd, 2006, 6:49 am
Third Year

In middle school it was really rather weird... in 6th grade we were learning about Egypt so two students mummified a chicken while the rest of the class watched.

That was the closest thing we did to dissection until college. It depends on the classes you take but for my Anatomy & Physiology lab we had to dissect an entire cat, a sheep kidney I think, and a cow eyeball I think that was it...

Old May 23rd, 2006, 3:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelm0x
In middle school it was really rather weird... in 6th grade we were learning about Egypt so two students mummified a chicken while the rest of the class watched.
They mummified a chicken? Ewww...gross!

BTW, Dawa Lhamo...Great to hear that I'm not the only one from the Lou on here, although I actually live on the Illinois side of the river (in a magical little town called Troy...it's so magical, three interstates come together here!)

Old May 23rd, 2006, 8:47 pm
Third Year

We disected a cow's eye in second grade...a little young, but I think you could opt out of it. But the AP Bio class at my school disected pig fetuses last week.

Text removed - only seven lines allowed.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:02 pm
Third Year

Oh, I forgot. Senior year (17/18 yrs. old), my biology class attended a couple lectures at a local university in which we got to see (magnified on a big screen) the dissection of a human eye, lungs (one from a smoker, one from a nonsmoker), and shoulder joint. As you might guess, most people squealed and screamed when the doctor popped the vitreous humour. ^_^ I was much amused.

It was, of course, optional.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawa Lhamo
Another St. Louis area person. ^_^ Yep, those were the three I was thinking of. And Save-A-Lot. ^_^ We used to have a Price Chopper down where I live, but it was bought out and changed hands a few times... it's a Dollar Tree now. ^_^
Wow! I'm in St. Louis, too! What are the chances? What part of town are you guys from?? Anyway, I worked for Save-A-Lot (HQ is here) for a few years, and they are more of a limited assortment discount grocery store. They don't really compete with Dierbergs and Schuck's and Shop 'N Save (which is owned by the same company) 'cause SAL caters more to low income families.

Now there's a bunch of information that no one is going to care about!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:05 pm
Third Year

Quote:
BTW, Dawa Lhamo...Great to hear that I'm not the only one from the Lou on here, although I actually live on the Illinois side of the river (in a magical little town called Troy...it's so magical, three interstates come together here!)
lol My brother goes to college near there. It's also where we stop for breakfast when we drive up to MN to visit the grandparents. ^_^ I'm not actually in the city either. Just south of South County. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlintocs
Wow! I'm in St. Louis, too! What are the chances? What part of town are you guys from?? Anyway, I worked for Save-A-Lot (HQ is here) for a few years, and they are more of a limited assortment discount grocery store. They don't really compete with Dierbergs and Schuck's and Shop 'N Save (which is owned by the same company) 'cause SAL caters more to low income families.

Now there's a bunch of information that no one is going to care about!
So many STL people. ^_^

That's true. My brother works for a tiny independent grocer here (when he's not at college), and Schnucks is much more a competitor than Save-A-Lot, even though they're about the same distance. ^_^

Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:25 pm
First Year

South County? Cool! Yes, I work at the McDonald's in Troy, so if you're ever coming through, just look for the employee by the name of Drew! Brown shirt, gold name tag! I'm often the employee who's making some kind of joke with the other employees and getting riled up over nothing just to be goofy, so I'm pretty easy to spot. By the way, does your brother go to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville? That's the closest school, and I'm going there sometime in the next year or two for teacher certification! Also, merlintocs, I'm in Troy, Illinois. We're where Interstates 55, 70, and 270 all meet! Where in the St. Louis area are you from, merlintocs?

Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
South County? Cool! Yes, I work at the McDonald's in Troy, so if you're ever coming through, just look for the employee by the name of Drew! Brown shirt, gold name tag! I'm often the employee who's making some kind of joke with the other employees and getting riled up over nothing just to be goofy, so I'm pretty easy to spot. By the way, does your brother go to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville? That's the closest school, and I'm going there sometime in the next year or two for teacher certification!
lol. That's where we stop for breakfast!!! ^_^ I don't know when we'll be through next, but I'll look for you when we go. ^_^ Actually, he's the other direction. McKendree College in Lebanon.

What subject/grade will you teach?

----

I forgot to mention before (again) that my school had an unofficial senior skip day (but it was an unexcused absence), and there was also Senior Solicitation Day, in which seniors were allowed to skive off and go around to local businesses, soliciting for donations to Operation Graduation, which is an all-night party after graduation, where all kinds of free prizes are given away. We had to sign in at school at the start of it, and bring our booty back at the end of the day, but there were no classes. ^_^

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:30 pm
Second Year

The earliest I have disected probaly was in Fourth grade, and was a sheep heart.

Potty lurves Loony!
-----------------------------
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest
treasure - Luna Lovegood-

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:44 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree
Piggly Wiggly
I'm sorry, but when I visited the South for the first time and saw that supermarket, I found it hilariously funny. piggly wiggly? sounds like the name of a cartoon character or something!

Anyways, the major supermarkets around here (in the NorthEast...new England, that is) are Stop and Shop, A+P and Shaws (or Star Market). We also just recently got a Trader Joe's. I think most supermarkets are regional.

I dissected a frog in 8th grade, but that was all.

At my school we have official senior skip days, but only one or two. Valedictorians get skip days too, I'm not sure how many, but I don't think they really take them...

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:18 am
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadia
At my school we have official senior skip days, but only one or two. Valedictorians get skip days too, I'm not sure how many, but I don't think they really take them...
At my school we have traditional unofficial skip days. There's a system to determine when the "skip" day is, but teachers know about it and plan big tests for those days and stuff.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall