Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old September 20th, 2006, 5:54 am
First Year

Re: Stephen King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
I like to read Stepehen King.
Indeed he mention in his books Harry Potter, good to know the master of horror can be sacred by Harry Potter too

I think he is fan, perhaps not a huge fan, I dont know, but I like Stpehen King and I like Harry Potter, Stephen King should like HP as me.
I am not really commenting on this post, but I noticed your avitar thing. I saw "Wild Wild West" a long time ago, and recently I caught a few minutes of it again. I think it is interesting that Lockhart is the bad guy in "Wild Wild West". i never realized that before.

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2006, 8:16 am
First Year

A couple of you have mentioned "On Writing", in which King reveals his fondness for the HP books. I don't read horror, so that is the only King book I've ever read. However, since he talks about writing his books in it, I feel I know something of what is in them, and also have some very interesting background should I ever decide to read one. We often speculate on which parts of Jo's personality and life experience end up in her characters: this book will let you do the same for King. For those of you who want to explore his writings, "On Writing" could be a good guide. If you don't write, you can just skip the technical parts. The book is mostly autobiography, and the stories from his youth were pretty interesting to me.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury
Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:56 am
First Year

I was so thrilled when he said that...Actually I was thrilled with the whole interview; my two favorite authors talking to each other! <3

My favorite novel is the Stand, but I loved Dreamcatcher and The Eyes of the Dragon too. Stephen King is amazing.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 7:50 am
First Year

BTW Today is King's birthday. He is credited with first making popular the idea of horror novels set in everyday locations.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury
Old September 22nd, 2006, 3:44 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWZRD View Post
BTW Today is King's birthday. He is credited with first making popular the idea of horror novels set in everyday locations.
That's a claim even he refutes. Richard Matheson, Ira Levin and Robert Bloch were there before him.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 30th, 2006, 6:24 pm
Second Year

I think it's pretty cool that Stephen KIng is a HP fan. I never thought he'd be, though!

I haven't read a lot of Stephens work, only The Green Mile, which I really liked.

'I haven't been properly dry since August!' George Weasley

[Staff edited: max. signature size = 300x300 pixels]
Old December 15th, 2006, 8:22 pm
Third Year

King is awesome, but to be honest, I got really disappointed with one of his latests books, Bag of Bones.

I read a book called "Sweetheart Sweetheart" (the cheesiest title ever) and I remember perfectly that the book was from the 70's. The author was a guy called John or James Taylor.

WHen i read bag of bones, i though it was a deja vu because i had already read that book! I knew the story, i knew what was gonna happen and i knew the end!

I was so disappointed because up to that point, King for me was THE MASTER.

My favorite is still The Shinning... it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally freaked me out.

DoMo-KuN!
Old February 13th, 2007, 6:46 am
First Year

Has anyone seen the new comic's about the Dark Tower?

Old March 14th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Second Year

I started reading Stephen King when I was in high school and am happy to note that he is a HP and JKR fan (it only makes sense that a great writer recognizes another). My favorite is The Stand but I also liked It, The Shining, and Misery among others. I had a thought....

Has anyone read or seen Misery? Its the story of a kidnapped author who kills off the main character in a series of romance novels and is forced to continue the series. I was wondering however demented it may be that JKR is destined for the same fate if she decides to kill off Harry in DH. Obviously it won't happen nor would I want it to (she's extremely wealthy hence very well protected) but if Harry dies, a lot of people will be very angry with her. When I first heard the rumors that Harry may die, the story of Misery is the first thing that came to mind.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old March 14th, 2007, 7:58 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupe & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorleone View Post
I started reading Stephen King when I was in high school and am happy to note that he is a HP and JKR fan (it only makes sense that a great writer recognizes another). My favorite is The Stand but I also liked It, The Shining, and Misery among others. I had a thought....

Has anyone read or seen Misery? Its the story of a kidnapped author who kills off the main character in a series of romance novels and is forced to continue the series. I was wondering however demented it may be that JKR is destined for the same fate if she decides to kill off Harry in DH. Obviously it won't happen nor would I want it to (she's extremely wealthy hence very well protected) but if Harry dies, a lot of people will be very angry with her. When I first heard the rumors that Harry may die, the story of Misery is the first thing that came to mind.

Funny... that was the first thing that came to my mind as well [just kidding]

I haven't seen that movie, but I did get the chance to see one part of his series, Nightmares and Dreamscapes... it was good !!

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old March 14th, 2007, 8:41 pm
Sixth Year

I have watched a few movies he did, like The Stand (great movie), but I neer actually read any of his books.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old March 14th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
I searched for a thread about him but couldn't find any... I read some of his books.. HORiFfic! but the reason I searched for him is because he said he was scared of death eaters

When Stephen King was asked what scared him, he named the Death Eaters among the list. Jo Rowling said in awe I scared Stephen King! and he responded I hope youre proud of yourself!

Iremember reading a looong time ago (when book 5 came out) that Steven King gave a reveiw on it.... I think he is a fan!

I bet she IS proud of scaring King!

King is THE master, he is so freaking scary.

My favorites? (Books of course, the movies are pretty good but the books are amazing)
* It (had a crazy end but it freaked me out beyond anything... had to sleep with lights on for like a week)
* The Shining (We had this big bushes out in our yard that year, like 5 or 6, and they were trimmed in shapes of animals...holy cow...)

His newer books are good but all his work during the 70's and early 80's was amazing.

DoMo-KuN!
Old March 15th, 2007, 1:30 am
First Year

I love Mr. King and his twisted sense of humor. I haven't read anything, though, that pre-dates "It" and I only read that because I picked it up for 25 cents at a yard sale. The first King book I ever read was The Talisman. I was absolutely desperate for something new to read and this book came out when I was in high school mid 70s or so. I never found it until the 90s. I had always avoided his stuff...dunno why.

If any of you have not read the Talisman you have got to. That was the book that hooked me and I think I have read it around 8 times. There are Dark Tower connections galore in this one just as Insomnia and some of his others. I am a huge fan of his Dark Tower Books and hated to see the final book come out.

Rose Madder is good and the Black Hotel that he and Straub wrote as a sequel to Talisman. The Stand is good and I liked Bag of Bones and Salems Lot. So maybe I do have a couple earlier than IT I would have to check copywrite dates.
I have never read Cujo,Carrie Christine and probably will not. I like his bent for psychological terror better than the slash and trash stuff. Anyway I have a pile of his books and reread them when I need a terror fix.

King and Rickman are two of the best there are out there.

Old March 15th, 2007, 2:37 am
First Year

Carrie, Everything's Eventual and Thinner are the ones I've read. All of them are terrific, I reccomend them all!

Old March 15th, 2007, 5:31 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrids_wench View Post

Rose Madder is good and the Black Hotel that he and Straub wrote as a sequel to Talisman. The Stand is good and I liked Bag of Bones and Salems Lot. So maybe I do have a couple earlier than IT I would have to check copywrite dates.
I have never read Cujo,Carrie Christine and probably will not. I like his bent for psychological terror better than the slash and trash stuff. Anyway I have a pile of his books and reread them when I need a terror fix.

King and Rickman are two of the best there are out there.
The Talisman sequel by King and Straub is "Black House". If you like psychological terror, you should read Firestarter, one of his early ones. It's about a little girl with the ability to start fires with her mind, and she and her father are running from the "authorities", I won't tell you which authorities - that would spoil it.

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
The Talisman sequel by King and Straub is "Black House". If you like psychological terror, you should read Firestarter, one of his early ones. It's about a little girl with the ability to start fires with her mind, and she and her father are running from the "authorities", I won't tell you which authorities - that would spoil it.
House. Your right. All through the Talisman it is a hotel and that is what has stuck in my head all these years. Actually I think I read Firestarter or part of it in junior high or high school I do remember liking the movie. And usually his movies leave a lot to be desired, at least for me, the books are always so much better.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:21 am
Second Year

Ok, I'm a huge Stephen King fan and I can say I've read the majority of his work (which I think is an accomplishment considering how prolific the man is) and from what I read I think the best ones are Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, The Stand, and It. I've read all those books at least twice because they are so twisted and convoluted with lots of psychology and sci-fi elements...oh good times.

Old March 15th, 2007, 1:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorleone View Post

If it is any help..I liked the movie quite a bit. The book I found difficult to get through it didn't really hold my attention. I almost think had I seen the movie first I may have liked the book more. There is a lot of bouncing back and forth in the book between "real life/author writing book" and REAL life author held hostage. Somehow the book just didn't do it for me.

Old March 15th, 2007, 6:06 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom3384 View Post
Ok, I'm a huge Stephen King fan and I can say I've read the majority of his work (which I think is an accomplishment considering how prolific the man is) and from what I read I think the best ones are Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, The Stand, and It. I've read all those books at least twice because they are so twisted and convoluted with lots of psychology and sci-fi elements...oh good times.
I had a hard time getting "into" Insomnia and probably put it down and started over a couple of times, but then I got hooked like I always do with his books. I did not like the start of Dreamcatcher, once we got past all the "bodily functions" and got into the story it was very good.

My favorites are the Dark Tower Series and The Stand, I also liked Rose Madder as a change of pace fantasy-type novel. Imagine waiting over twenty years for Stephen to finish Dark Tower, but it was worth the wait ( and I love finding all the references to characters in it, in his preceding works.

hagrids_wench - I had no trouble at all reading Misery except for the feet "chop", so even Stephen King fans can't agree on the favorites or readability of his books.

Old March 15th, 2007, 7:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
I had a hard time getting "into" Insomnia and probably put it down and started over a couple of times, but then I got hooked like I always do with his books. I did not like the start of Dreamcatcher, once we got past all the "bodily functions" and got into the story it was very good.

My favorites are the Dark Tower Series and The Stand, I also liked Rose Madder as a change of pace fantasy-type novel. Imagine waiting over twenty years for Stephen to finish Dark Tower, but it was worth the wait ( and I love finding all the references to characters in it, in his preceding works.

hagrids_wench - I had no trouble at all reading Misery except for the feet "chop", so even Stephen King fans can't agree on the favorites or readability of his books.
How right you are. The one King book that really left me looking over my shoulder was Gerald's Game. I keep saying tht I will read it again but I keep it pretty well buried in my bookcase. I think I liked the movie more because I really wanted to see her get clobbered with my own eyes. It gave me the same level of irritation that the early Clint Eastwood movie "Play Misty for Me" did....Man some evil villain types just really get under your collar.

The Dark Tower is the penultimate King. Sometimes I think he wrote everything else just so he could write the Tower books. I like the way his recent reprints list all the connected books in bold face type. I think there were a couple I had not read. As soon as I am finished with Harry I may have to read those again.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy