Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Artemis Fowl Thread

Old September 2nd, 2006, 1:44 pm
Third Year

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild
Spoiler: show
Speaking of meeting one's match, one character a really missed (cause he is my favourite) was Trouble (I mean, he could at least have been mentioned!). I think he and Holly would make a great couple, and I read somewhere Colfer thought so too, but it wouldn't last, they were too alike.
Now, what about Minerva and Artemis, could you be more alike? Bearing what Colfer said about Holly and Trouble in mind, do you think they will get together and then break up, not get together at all or will they live "happily ever after" all the same?
I agree! Trouble was one of my favorite charatcers too and I wish he''d been in the last book. He and Holly would make a great couple. As for Minvera, at the wrath of many fans I'm going to say that her part in the plot made me wonder if Colfer was struggling for ideas. To have one evil child genius is one thing, but to have another seems a bit... cliche? I'm not sure, I got the impression he was running out of ideas for this book. I expect in the next Fowl book (if there is one) Minerva and Artemis would be good friends and hint at something else, but it doesn't seem like Colfer to get all mushy and romantic in a Fowl book.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcuk13
I think I will join you on the very concerned for his sanity
But also be concerned for the sanity of people (and I include myself in this) who get so bored they work it out. (And looking at the website is cheating!!)

Er...yes, as you can see, I like Artemis Fowl.
I have all the first four. And in The Opal Deception (possibly my favourite) Root joined the select list of characters in books where I cried when they died. (or I thought they died (Gandalf))(along with Sirius Black, Theoden, and Liam from Song Of The Lioness,)

Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyWerewolf
But also be concerned for the sanity of people (and I include myself in this) who get so bored they work it out. (And looking at the website is cheating!!)
When I first got the first book I worked out what the bottom said before I read the book. I knew the book would give me the key inside so I worked it out from the chapter headings then read the book to see if I was right. I had 1 letter wrong and I think 3 missing .
The problem now is I don't have enough time to work it out. I must have started The Eternity Code at least ten times now then I have to go to work and I lose everything, plus i have to get up at 6am, to get out for 7am, to drive for two house to start work at 9am then finish at 6pm. I then drive another two house home by this time all i want to do is sleep. So i never get a chance to work out the codes anymore

When scientists discover the centre of the universe
Don't be suprised if its not you

Proud to be a
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:35 am
First Year

I absolutely love the Artemis Fowl series. I've only read no.1 and 4 but they are brilliant.

Old October 5th, 2006, 4:54 pm
Fifth Year

YAY!
I bought number 5 last night! I didn't even know that it was out (they really have to work on their marketing skills...)!
It's called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It introduces demons as members of the fairy world, from what I understand. I managed to get to page ten before I fell asleep (I'd had a bit of a trying day), and I'm already loving it.
Did you guys know that it was out? And if so, how did you find out? I was just lucky enough to be walking by the books in Wal-Mart last night, or else I might never have known.

Old October 5th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Third Year

My sister works in a bookshop, and so do I come sunday, but I also signed up for an Artemis Fowl newsletter on the offical site.

Old October 5th, 2006, 5:07 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
YAY!
I bought number 5 last night! I didn't even know that it was out (they really have to work on their marketing skills...)!
It's called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It introduces demons as members of the fairy world, from what I understand. I managed to get to page ten before I fell asleep (I'd had a bit of a trying day), and I'm already loving it.
Did you guys know that it was out? And if so, how did you find out? I was just lucky enough to be walking by the books in Wal-Mart last night, or else I might never have known.
I heard it was coming but didn't know it was out until I saw this thread! I should be ashamed, especially considering my username is based on one of my favorite literary characters: Artemis Fowl II. I shall go to a bookstore after work and begin reading it tonight! I promise to use
spoiler tags
if I make any specific comments in case a reader of this thread hasn't read any of it yet. Thanks for the news, Sheree!

Old October 6th, 2006, 5:16 pm
Second Year

I haven't read it yet, but I'm pretty excited. My sister put it on hold, and so I'll just take it from her when she gets it.

Ayame--There are but three people in the entire world who can complete such fine embroidery in such a short time! Of course, number one is yours truly, who always thinks of his brother!!"--A conversation between Yuki and his older brother Ayame in Fruits basket #8!
Old October 6th, 2006, 5:24 pm
First Year

I love Artemis, too but I lost track of the whole series after the 2nd book! So many books! Not as hot as Potter, but this is anither kind of Fantasy...

AALIYAH 1979-2001*love u, miss u*

Max allowed image dimensions 300 x 300px
Old October 11th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Fifth Year

Well, I have now finished The Lost Colony, and I must say that I thought it to be an extraordinarily good read.
The fact that Artemis ends up with a little bit of magic himself in the end is really interesting, too. I wonder what he'll do with it. He's already proving himself to be a nice guy deep down.

All in all, I'd recommend it. Let me know what you guys think after you've had a chance to read, it!

Old October 11th, 2006, 8:19 pm

I'm only on chapter 5... but I'll be back to read your spoiler! So far, I love this book.

Old October 19th, 2006, 9:04 pm
First Year

There is going to be a 6th book! I can't wait! I just finished the 5th book and I'm still in shock from it. I really thought that Holly . . . I won't say but I started to freaken out when I read that scene. I'm SO happy though that she is . . . my lips are sealed for all of those who didn't read the book yet. Anyway, the ending was a HUGE surprise for me and I'm dieing for the 6th book already because I want to know what happens to Artemis.

OH! What do you guys think about Minerva . . . when I saw her name it thought of Professor M. (No idea how you spell her name). I think she has got something for Artemis . . . do you think she is better than Holly?

Also, a LONG time ago, they said they were going to make an Artemis Fowl movie . . . what happened to that?

OH! Does anyone decode the messages on the bottom of the book? I want to but I don't have time. LOL! ^__^

Old October 20th, 2006, 2:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathEater920 View Post
There is going to be a 6th book! I can't wait! I just finished the 5th book and I'm still in shock from it.
There has to be a sixth book! Colfer leaves you wanting more. I hated getting to the end of the book and wondering what was going to happen next with Artemis.

I loved this book! It had great funny moments like the following.
Page 212"How did that go?" [Butler] asked. "Your first lengthy conversation with a girl your own age."
"Fabulous," said Artemis, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "We're planning a June wedding."

And, yes, that stuff with Holly had you on the edge of your seat.

And the...
twins!

I think I must go back and read the entire series yet again. I love Artemis Fowl.

Old October 20th, 2006, 3:03 am
Sixth Year

I have been a huge fan of Artemis Fowl since I read the first book. I was so excited when the fourth book came out! It's my favorite one so far. The fifth one was so good! I forget where, but I remember reading somewhere that there was going to be a sixth book, something about a hypnotist.

Last edited by witchsmart; November 8th, 2006 at 1:40 am.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:07 pm
First Year

Arty is amazing! I love how witty and sarcastic he is, and that butler is his friend.

Old October 31st, 2006, 1:09 am
First Year

One of my best friends has been nagging me to read the series ever since she read them. I'm about to start, i just have to go to the library (now where did i put my library card?) I can't wait to read it!

Old November 29th, 2006, 8:20 pm
First Year

I think the new one was by far the best yet. The ending was horrible just because it left you hanging...the only good thing is is that there has to be a 6th book.

Double, double, toil and trouble
Fire burn and cauldron bubble
Double, double, toil and trouble
Something wicked this way comes.

hAppY hAllOwEEn!!
Old November 30th, 2006, 2:40 am
Student

I love the Artemis Fowl series. Although, I've only read the first 2 books so far. I will have to read the others in the series soon. My favorite characters are Commander Root, and Butler. I always liked The Arctic Incident the best out of what I've read. I really hope they make a movie out of these books soon.

Old November 30th, 2006, 3:16 am
Fourth Year

i love ALL of the artemis fowl books! they are all so clever and funny, and i can't decide which one's my favorite. i think my favorite character is probably holly, or butler, or foaly. they're all so fun and butler and holly can kick some major butt.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old November 30th, 2006, 3:38 am
Seventh Year

I had no idea there was a new book out until last week (Thank you Amazon Recommendations...)

I really do love these books, they're a lot of fun. The only problem I have with them is for some reason I can't seem to remember details about them. I've read books 1-4 twice and I can barley remember what each book was about, I just remember that I really enjoy them and that I thought the 3rd was the best. (I think...) I normally have a excellent memory so I'm surprised I don't remember much... except for maybe the first book.

I guess I'll have to re-read the series before I read book 5 then.

Emotional Landscapes
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy