Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Works of JRR Tolkien

Old May 11th, 2006, 6:03 am
Fifth Year

Re: The Works of JRR Tolkien

The other two wizards are Blue and traveled in the East, and they are discussed a bit in Unfinished Tales, though I don't believe they are named. It's been awhile since I've read that book though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

"He has given us......HIS SHOE!!!"
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2006, 6:07 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitseeker
The other two wizards are Blue and traveled in the East, and they are discussed a bit in Unfinished Tales, though I don't believe they are named. It's been awhile since I've read that book though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you are right. If you are REALLY interested in the details, you might try the following link to a page-long essay listing mentions of the two blue wizards in Tolkien's correpondence...

http://www.lotrlibrary.com/agesofarda/bluewizards.asp

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old May 13th, 2006, 9:30 am
First Year

Yay, Tolkien thread!

My whole family has always been very Tolkien-oriented, so I sort of grew up with the world of Middle Earth, and we all absolutely love the movies.

I, too, found the books very hard going at first. My mum read the Hobbit, and then LOTR to my sister and me when I was just 8, and my sister was 12. She was enthralled but I found it all very dull. But I decided to read it for myself; I read Fellowship when I was 11 and it took me the better part of a year to get through! Second time round it took me a month.

There are a couple of great things about Tolkien's work which is why, I think, they appeal to people on such a grand scale.
Firstly, the older you get, the better they are - it's amazing how much more I drew out of LOTR when I read it again, and then even more the next time, and the next.
Secondly, they are about truth, something which naturally attracts people.

For anyone interested in reading the Silmarillion:

First, be warned, it is very heavy going. There are many, many names and events, so don't try to remember them all. Also, if you didn't get into it, don't worry. It's not for everyone; but you might even end up loving it later if you try reading it again.

I absolutely love the tale of Beren and Luthien - I cry every time I read it! Another great part is when Fingolfin fights Morgoth - incredible stuff!

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:20 pm
Second Year

Wow, yeah, the books of the trilogy were really hard to get through, but I had to read them before I saw the movies . But I loved The Hobbit, I've read that a couple times and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I hope they make a movie outta the book, that'd be AWESOME. I'd like to see how they'd do Smaug... Anyhow, getting off subject. JRR Tolkien was the JK Rowling of his day, he was so COOL!! Love him love him love him!!

The end is near.
July 21, 2007

Are YOU on the list?

My Book 7 Fanfic ~ Ron's brains ~ Clickie to see me! ~ PotterPuppetPals!!
92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old May 15th, 2006, 3:37 am
First Year

Another non Middle-earth related book is Roverandum. Tolkien wrote it for children. It's about a dog named Rover who went to the moon. It's very whimsical, almost a little like Lewis Caroll with his Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland.
Oh yeah, and I'm absolutely crazy about LOTR, The Hobbit, and especially The Silmarillion.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania
I was always fascinated with the way Tolkien created languages. I loved all the different elvish tongues, and the black speech was always neat- sounding, too. I admired Tolkien's gift for detail. Although, like another of my favorite authors (Anne Rice) he overdid it sometimes. Those two could describe flowers growing on a fence for three entire pages, LOL. Eh, but I guess I like that about them, too..
Thank you for that most inspiring post, and I begin my visit to the Chamber of Secrets on a thread which drives my interest the most - on thinking about JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling.

They are each excellent in the language in their own way. Tolkien is definitely a prosodist, and a lover of detail, and he clearly shared with his beloved Hobbits the ability to burrow into the most minuscule detail of the history of Brother Boffin's Shed or some such, for pages and pages.

JK shows her love of the language in a more poetic style - even though it is JRR who includes poems in his text! I see the hands of JRR Tolkien sculpting the ideas of JK Rowling, but more so, I see the serious comic joy of James Joyce in her playful skill with the words themselves. Tolkien has a sense of joy and whimsy, but his is not the mind which gives us the Mirror of Erised, Number 12 Grimmauld Place, the Pensieve, and other such million-dollar words which tell such stories by their very existance.

Rowling's smattering of Latin approximates my own, so I enjooy seeing the phrases such as "expelliarmus!" in the same way that I found that Excalibur was the Anglicization of ex calce liberatus, freed from the stone.

Tolkien was always shy in forcing the reader to confront horror directly. He never brought us to the Dark Tower, and the closest he would come was to show the terror of the characters themselves. Rowling seems to have no such shyness. She has cast for the word "horcrux" before us, for all to see.

So, thank you for having such a forum!

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleySquib
Tolkien is definitely a prosodist,
JK shows her love of the language in a more poetic style - even though it is JRR who includes poems in his text!
LOL, I think it's exactly the opposite. Tolkien writes prose poetry (as well as "real" verse poetry) ; his lyrical prose - such as that about the Elves or in descriptions of beautiful landscape - has a kind of rhythmic beauty about it I don't find in JKR (much as I love the HP books). For example, the wonderful description of Lothlorien as Frodo sees Cerin Amroth for the first time (the grass, the elanor and niphredi, the mallorn trees but more than all of that, his sense of ancientry). I don't have the book to hand or I'd quote it. It goes beyond description into the realms of the numinous.

That's poetry. With respect to JKR, her prose is definitely prose ; it's workmanlike and effective at conveying linear movement in the narrative.

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be (a) Simon Cowell or (b) scared or (c) just hasn't met me yet
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrow
Wow great posts guys! Keep it up!

I like to wonder about Tom Bombadil as well. And it makes you wonder who Goldberry is too, and who her parents were (if she had any).

I like to think of the beginning of the Silmarillion as comparable to Genesis. It takes a bit to work it out, but you can compare Morgoth to the Devil, and there is a god, and the Valar are High angels and the Maia are the lower angels. Thats how I like to think of it.
I think that it is a lovely, lyric beginning to the Silmarillion, very religious and pure. People forget that Tolkien was a crypto-Catholic in Britain, during a time when Catholicism was rather scorned. A small number of the University folks wished to bring forth the spiritual and religious power underpinning their faith, the challenge of writing spiritual literature without being overtly religious. I believe that Tolkien was such a writer - and Rolling is their worthy heir, in a way. The 20th century opened and closed with such great writers, and those who confuse the lack of overtly religious wording in either's works, with a lack of true sprituality - well, those are book-burning fools, in my book!

Ah, a splendid debate! I shall look over some of both, as it has been some time since I have read Tolkien, and bicker this through with you!

Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:26 am
First Year

Hee hee! Tolkien thread! Hello! *Waves*

Tolkien is who really started me reading fantasy, and I adore everything of his that I've read - The Hobbit, LotR, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and bits and pieces of the histories (I own half of them and they're not something you should try cover-to-cover). I, by far, prefer the histories, Sil and UT more than LotR.

My favourite 'story' over the course of the books is Túrin's - especially in Unfinished Tales (which in my opinion is Tolkien's best writing). I also love the Noldor - and the house of Fëanor in particular (hence the email 'daughteroffeanor').

As for the languages, learning Quenya (high-elven) has been on my to-do list for a while. Both Quenya and Sindarin are actual languages that you can learn (Quenya being the more complete of the two) and have a conversation in... Quenya is based on Finnish and Sindarin on Welsh (I think). If you want information on Tolkien's languages (Quenya, Sindarin and others) try http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ - a great site with essays, etc. and the Quenya course. Oh, and http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html - the Quenya baby name book.

-- Ari

Old July 8th, 2006, 9:45 pm
Third Year

Zigirnius - I read that essay, it is very intriguing. I think that I will have to turn my attention to buying LOTR again after I have finished collecting the Redwall Series.

Great posts guys, keep it up!

I suggest that everyone read the essay, and then give comments here. It could lead to some great discussion!

Old July 8th, 2006, 11:42 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitseeker

The Blue Wizards are named Alatar and Pallando.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 18th, 2006, 3:00 am
Third Year

Does anyone here belong to a LOTR forum?

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:30 am
Sixth Year

I've read Tolkein's works again recently. One thing I really like is his the way his writing style changes. For example at the beginning of the Lord of the Rings he is 'chatty' or common, his writing in a much more coloquial style whereas by the finish is is epic and descriptive, similar to word-of-mouth spoken myths like the Iliad before returning to the same coloquialism at the return of order in the Shire.

I first read the Hobbit when I was 6 and the Lord of the Rings when I was 9. Later I began the Silmarilion after re-reading the Lord of the Rings at 12 and that was really when Tolkein's literary magic took hold

i'm in slytherin!
Old July 24th, 2006, 4:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrow
Does anyone here belong to a LOTR forum?
I've just started a Tolkien forum and I need some members, so feel free to join (link is in my signature).

I absolutely love Tolkien's work. I think he was a genius. The Lord of the Rings was the first fantasy book I have read and actually is the reason I like this genre. I hadn't known much about him or his books before the first film was released. Than I just had to find out why the books are so popular. I have read LOTR, The Hobbit, Silmarilion and the Unfinished Tales and love them all. Together they make a masterpiece.

I have always wanted to learn one of the Elvish languages, but never actually got to it, unfortunately. Can any of you speak Elvish?

Old December 8th, 2006, 1:27 am
First Year

I read the Hobbit when I was ten and I LOVED it. It was a great book. I have heard that the trilogy is good and I am in the middle of reading the Fellowship of the Ring. So far its has been just as good as the Hobbit. The movies were O.K. too. All of his smaller works have been good to.

Old December 11th, 2006, 4:03 am
Second Year

I think the scope of the word Tolkien created is just incredible. Granted, I only got a third of the way through the Silmarillion, and couldn't keep any of the elvish names straight, but I really liked the LotR trilogy and the Hobbit. Probably my favorite part is "The Scouring of the Shire." It's too bad that wasn't in the movie. The movies were also good as a whole, though, and now I really want to go to New Zealand!

Old December 11th, 2006, 4:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryanna View Post
As for the languages, learning Quenya (high-elven) has been on my to-do list for a while. Both Quenya and Sindarin are actual languages that you can learn (Quenya being the more complete of the two) and have a conversation in... Quenya is based on Finnish and Sindarin on Welsh (I think). If you want information on Tolkien's languages (Quenya, Sindarin and others) try http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ - a great site with essays, etc. and the Quenya course. Oh, and http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html - the Quenya baby name book.

-- Ari
Tolkien never developed his Middle-earth languages to the point that they can be spoken. He gave us lots of pronunciation, and some proper names, but very little vocabulary. Most of the "language" you find on the internet is people extrapolating the little that JRRT gave us into some conjectures of what the vocabulary would be. Tolkien would be horrified at the language used in the movies.

I think the definitive site on Tolkien's elvish languages is The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship at www.elvish.org.

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Old January 18th, 2007, 9:38 pm
Second Year

I LOVED the hobbit. I've read Lord of the Rings and seen the film, but I like the Hobbit more. Everyone should read the Hobbit. (after they've read HP of course)

*Iglybo*
Old March 26th, 2007, 8:03 am
First Year

New J.R.R Tolkien book to be published next month!

Woah.

From Yahoo News:
LONDON (AFP) - An unfinished book by "Lord of the Rings" author J.R.R. Tolkien, which was completed by his son, will go on sale on next month, a newspaper said.

"The Children of Hurin", which Tolkien began in 1918, will be in bookshops on April 17, the Independent on Sunday added. The author's son, Christopher, spent 30 years completing the story from the many drafts produced by his father.

Publisher HarperCollins is keeping exact details of the story under close wraps but its description as "an epic story of adventure, tragedy, fellowship and heroism" will be familiar to the legions of Tolkien fans.

Artist Alan Lee has provided 25 pencil sketches and eight paintings for the book.

Lee won an Oscar for art direction on
Peter Jackson's "The Return of the King", the third blockbuster film based on the "Lord of Rings" trilogy that brought the stories to a worldwide audience.

"The Children of Hurin" is the first "new" Tolkien book since a collection of his works -- "The Silmarillion" -- was published posthumously in 1977, four years after the writer's death. It was also edited by Christopher Tolkien.

The chairman of the Tolkien Society, Chris Crawshaw, was quoted by the Independent on Sunday as saying: "It ('The Children of Hurin') would probably make a very good movie, if anyone can secure the film rights."

Read the article here.

WOW.

Old March 26th, 2007, 8:10 am
Second Year

Re: New J.R.R Tolkien book to be published next month!

Here's the cover from Wikipedia-

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy