Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner

Old March 1st, 2011, 2:49 pm
Fifth Year

The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner

Holy cow, I read both of the books that are out (The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials) in under 3 days. Just incredible. I was confused most of the time, but it was never frustrating, which goes to show what an amazing story teller Dashner is. The last book, The Death Cure, comes out October 11th.

I have absolutely no idea what will happen but I can't wait!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 2:36 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner

I've decided to not read Scorch Trials until the last one comes out. The Maze Runner had too open of an ending, and found that wholly unsatisfying. I know Scorch Trials will be the same, so until I can read the last two back to back, I'm ready to wait!

Maze Runner was a very interesting concept. I want to learn a lot more about WICKED and what the whole point of the maze was!

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:58 pm
Fifth Year

I was amazed that Dashner didn't drive me nuts with all the mysteries. But they just add to the fun! The Scorch Trials was even better and I can't wait for Death Cure!!!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:16 am
First Year

Somehow this died- but just saying... wow was Death Cure ever amazing. I couldn't believe it when SPOILER!!!
Spoiler: show
Thomas killed Newt

Yes I know i put spoiler twice but I wanted to make it really clear.

Old February 25th, 2012, 5:14 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
The Maze Runner had too open of an ending, and found that wholly unsatisfying.
I found the ending quite unsatisfying as well. I don't know, but it just didn't encourage me to pick the next book. Maybe it's just that I didn't like the writing, even though I liked the concept, .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 20th, 2012, 7:58 am
First Year

I really loved The Maze Runner, thought it was awesome and it kept me guessing right until the end. BUT

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with The Scorch Trials. I dunno what it was but it just didn't live up to the first book for me. Still going to read The Death Cure just to see how it ends.

But other people may love The Scorch Trials so don't be put off by my opinion.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old December 20th, 2012, 3:36 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I found the ending quite unsatisfying as well. I don't know, but it just didn't encourage me to pick the next book. Maybe it's just that I didn't like the writing, even though I liked the concept,
I just finished Maze Runner last week and... I don't know. It was just alright for me.

I liked the concept of the kids being trapped in the center of a maze and how their entire existence pretty much revolves around solving the maze but there were just too many things that bothered me about the book to say that I really liked it.

The biggest thing for me was that I figured out
about half-way through the book that the maze was probably forming letters of some kind and when I can figure out something like that so early in the book my enjoyment of said book gets reduced by a factor of about 5.

Thomas
being the one, the key, to solve the maze was very convenient to me, too. A little too convenient and I wasn't a big fan of his telekenetic connection with the girl at all, or this unexplained attraction to her - felt fake.

The Glader slang of "Klunk" "shuck" etc. felt wholly contrived to me and I never could take it seriously whenever one of those words was injected into the dialogue. The podcast Writing Excuses, I think, ruined this one for me: the had an episode on world-building or something in which they stated something like "you don't have to invent a Schnoozenhauser to do the job of a horse - just use a horse." That's pretty much how I felt about the slang - that it was invented and used as a conceit in order to keep the book in the YA market since using the actual swear words with the frequency they are used by the Gladers would have forced the book into the adult market.

The other major issue I had was with the characterization of Thomas. He seemed to be conveniently compliant when he needed to be and conveniently defiant when he needed to be: case in point, his first time at the Keeper meeting where it's stated over and over again that he wants to interject something except that Newt (or was it Alby) told him to keep quite and he didn't want to break their rule - but then he out after Minho and the other dude as the maze walls are closing...

Also, I never ever got the feeling that Thomas ever liked Chuck so it was unbelievable to me that
he would have cared enough about him to drag him along to the Griever Hole, let alone how upset he got when Chuck died.

There were several other things that bothered me about the book, including the non-ending. I'm not a fan of those at all (the book The Variants had the same kind of ending and I hated it, though I liked that book -and that concept- a lot more than The Maze Runner). At this point the only way I'd continue with the series is if I found the second and third books for the same price as I found Maze Runner ($4) but that's somewhat unlikely since the third book just came out in October I guess (?).

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; December 20th, 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
The Glader slang of "Klunk" "shuck" etc. felt wholly contrived to me and I never could take it seriously whenever one of those words was injected into the dialogue. The podcast Writing Excuses, I think, ruined this one for me: the had an episode on world-building or something in which they stated something like "you don't have to invent a Schnoozenhauser to do the job of a horse - just use a horse." That's pretty much how I felt about the slang - that it was invented and used as a conceit in order to keep the book in the YA market since using the actual swear words with the frequency they are used by the Gladers would have forced the book into the adult market.
I thought the slang was ok as it set up that the kids had been in the Glade for a long, long time. But then reading on (and finishing the series, including The Kill Order) I realized that the kids weren't in the maze for the length of time they would have needed to establish their own vocabulary.

I can't say I liked any of the sequels better, and I really didn't like the prequel either. I'm still wondering why I read the whole series!? At least I didn't pay for any of the books, so that made me feel better - thank you library!

I think as I said earlier in this thread I wanted to know why WICKED was set up. And it turns out, that when I found out I didn't really care. I also thought there was way too much death throughout the series that was unnecessary. Kids were violently killed off one by one with no rhyme or reason. I do realize that the
masterminds had gone crazy by the end
, but still, doesn't justify the random violence.

I really wanted more out of this story. Reading The Kill Order I had really hoped to find answers, and I did. Strangely it was the second book that month that I read where
society went downhill by the purposeful release of a virus. White Horse was the other book. Neither book satisfactorily explained the motivations behind doing such a destructive act. Using up all the Earth's resources wasn't a good enough motivation in my book.
Interestingly Pure, another post apocalyptic YA, has a similar theme, but the motivation is far more believable -
using destruction to set up a working/slave class vs the Pure intelligent/elite class.

I guess I have this to say. Dashner's writing is as engaging as someone like Dan Brown, in that these books are page turners. But I think he needed more character development and a stronger plot to make it all more believable, or to make me care about the characters. I felt like I ran a marathon and got nowhere.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy