Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

A Song of Ice and Fire

Old November 12th, 2008, 11:21 pm
MODLY CREW

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I'm thrilled. I've been waiting for HBO to take the next step for ages. They have a good track record with epic material and sources. I'm a teensy bit anxious because HBO ruined True Blood, the adaptation of the Southern Vampire Novels by Charlaine Harris. However, as long as Alan Ball doesn't produce and/or direct the series, chances are that it's going to be good.

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I have a quick question. I am almost done with SoS, less than 200 pages to go.

Spoiler: show
Joffery was the one that sent the sellsword to kill Bran right? It sounded like that was what Tyrion worked out, but then in Jamie's chapter he said something about loving Tyrion, "Well, but for that one time...but the Imp did not know the truth of that. Or did he?"

It seemed like Jamie then was the one hired the sellsword. And if Joff did hire him, does that mean he knew the truth of his parents?

Meh, maybe I have to wait to see if it is explained later. But that is just a question swarming around in my head right now.

Old November 13th, 2008, 3:52 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWeasleys View Post
Meh, maybe I have to wait to see if it is explained later.
Yup. You'll know soonish.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 13th, 2008, 5:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

^Thank you!

Another thing that stuck out to me:

I don't know if this has merritt. But I think at this point it is obvious that one of the "black amethysts" contained the poison that killed Joff. (I am guessing it the same thing that Master Cressan tried to kill Mel with) Anyways, what I am finding intresting now is that the Queen of Thorns was fussing with Sansa's hair before the feast. It is very possible that she took a bead out and poisoned Joff. I definitely wouldn't put it past her to free her granddaughter from such a marriage...

But that also means that she would have had to have known about the hair net via Dontos...so is she in on the whole thing....? Hmmm.....

Must keep reading

Old November 13th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Must keep reading
Yes

and this one is NOT for your eyes. DO NOT LOOK!!!!! IT IS FORBIDDEN TO LOOK IF YOU HAVE NOT READ A Feast for Crows

I'm impressed. I would never have guessed the queen of thorns thing and the hairnet in my life

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old November 13th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Eldest Gruff

Not looking for all who didn't read book 4 yet still counts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
I'm impressed. I would never have guessed the queen of thorns thing and the hairnet in my life
I'm blown away by most of LoveWeasley's predictions. Very clear read, many things got me by surprise completely.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I just read Sansa's chapter and wow I was close!!

I can't wait to finish so I can discuss it more, but here are some quick thoughts:

Storm of Swords
Love that Jon Snow is now commander of the Wall. That whole part with the wildling was awesome. I was sad that Ygritte died, but really there was no longer a place for her. Still sad though.

Okay I have said this before and I will say it again. I really don't like Lysa. She just kind of creeps me out, so I guess Peter is a good match for her.

I feel for Tyrion. He gets blamed for everything! But, now with Oberyn being his champion! YAY! That will kill two birds with one stone. Oberyn will get his revenge and get Tyrion off the hot seat.

I am starting to like Jaime and I don't really know if I want too

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:00 pm
MODLY CREW

Jamie is awesome. That is all.

Well, not quite...

I'm afraid that he and Cersei will really leave the world together just like they entered it, but while I would gladly see Cersei die, I would hate to say goodbye to the Kingslayer.

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Okay I have said this before and I will say it again. I really don't like Lysa. She just kind of creeps me out, so I guess Peter is a good match for her.
Oh yes! I've seen a scary amount of Littlefinger fans and I just don't get it.
Quote:
But, now with Oberyn being his champion
!
Haha, how cool was the conversation between them?

Btw, should we have a policy on where to put spoilers?

Quote:
That whole part with the wildling was awesome.
I personally wanted them to win. HOnestly. I think they have a point and that the Night's Watch is having it totally wrong in fighting them. I think the original purpose of the Wall was to fight the Others, and NOT the wildlings.

Besides, I'm particulary fond of Mance.

Old November 14th, 2008, 1:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Jamie is awesome. That is all.
I like his change after his captivity. Going to rescue Brienne, how he stood his ground with his father, how he handled Ser Loras and the rest of the Kingsgaurd. But part of me is still screaming, "He pushed a little boy out a window" GAH!

Quote:
Oh yes! I've seen a scary amount of Littlefinger fans and I just don't get it.
He really creeps me out. He is more a spider than Varys is.

Quote:
Haha, how cool was the conversation between them?
So great! I enjoy Tryion's conversations with a lot of people. His wit amuses me.

Quote:
I personally wanted them to win. HOnestly. I think they have a point and that the Night's Watch is having it totally wrong in fighting them. I think the original purpose of the Wall was to fight the Others, and NOT the wildlings.

Besides, I'm particulary fond of Mance.

For me it would have to depend on what the wildlings' purpose was. Are they wanting to go beyond the Wall and kill all in there path for the sake of conquest or are they just looking to seek bigger territory, but are willing to spare innocent lives in the process.

I do admire them for their want to live a free live and not a "knealer's" life. I was rooting for Jon to stay with them and kind of sad when he went back to the Wall. But, now that he is there it is cool that he is in charge. I still wonder how long that will for though, they are so understaffed and with no recruits on the way. I think the wildlings will be able to push through eventually.

Old November 17th, 2008, 1:26 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
For me it would have to depend on what the wildlings' purpose was. Are they wanting to go beyond the Wall and kill all in there path for the sake of conquest or are they just looking to seek bigger territory, but are willing to spare innocent lives in the process.
Well I see it that they want what everybody wants: a possibility of living in an Other-free area. They are on the first line of attack, never safe and with very little defense possibility. (no dragonglass). Why are they being denied this? The Wall is IMO not for keeping out humans, but for keeping out the Others. But it seems to me that the Nights Watch has forgotten their original purpose.

Old November 17th, 2008, 11:27 pm
MODLY CREW

I think that the Night Watch is only a product of its society. The Wall is eight thousand years old and the Others haven't been seen in a very long time. The biggest threat to lords, and knights is rebellion. Hierarchy is everything in a feudal society. So Mance Ryder is naturally someone to be scared of because he did not get into his position of power by birth. And his people represent a different lifestyle. In a way, the Night Watch protects their way of life, even though, ironically, the majority of Sworn Brothers consists of outlaws and people who fell through the cracks.

Old November 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Thoughts on Feast for Crows. I am almost halfway through it:

It seems to be taking a long time to get things started. Almost the first half of the book so far feels like everything is just getting set up, but progress is slow and some chapters are a struggle for me to get through.

However, I just got done with The Queenmaker's chapter and thought finally some action with a twist. I was pleasantly surprised with the way the chapter ended as well as how well Brienne handled herself at the whispers. I am hoping at some point she meets up with Lord Beric and his outlaws...

Also, I have a feeling the Hound is dead . They had reports that he was raiding, but I feel like someone might have just found him and stole his armor. On that note, I don't think the Mountain is dead yet, I found it curious how they were just giving a skull to Dorean, how is he suppose to identify it and it is also curious that the High Septian (Tyrion's creature) died right around the same time...

Not sure I am very happy with Jon's decision to take Gilly's babe from her. I also couldn't help but see the parallel that the two baby's had to him and Robb, one being of high birth the other born out of a less than ideal situation. Interesting to see which one he favored for safety and which one he thought more expendable.

Arya's stay at the temple has been slow going but a little interesting in the idea of mercy killing being brought into the books. We saw it first a little bit when a dying soldier asks for mercy, but the idea that people seek out the temple for that specific reason is surprising.

Sansa, I am afraid that she is going to become so wrapped up in the role she is playing that she won't recognize help if it is ever to come. Petyr still freaks me out. He is smooth as silk with his words, he is able to bend and shape people and they seem almost thankful for it. I also think he is just buying his time for little Robert to die of his seizures.

Oh and no Dany in this book? :shrugh:

Old November 21st, 2008, 10:33 am
MODLY CREW

A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were planned as one book but GRRM's publishers insisted on having them separated. Looking at the number of pages, this is kind of understandable. However, Martin had to separate plot lines and point of views as well, which is why the book is rather slow and several characters are missing.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 3:22 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were planned as one book but GRRM's publishers insisted on having them separated. Looking at the number of pages, this is kind of understandable. However, Martin had to separate plot lines and point of views as well, which is why the book is rather slow and several characters are missing.
I just read this today when I was look at the appendix and saw the page "Meanwhile back at the Wall". I don't know, I kind of feel like it would have been better pace wise to tell half of all the characters' story than whole of only half the character's storys . I am just finding some parts that are hard to get through.

I am excited for Dance with Dragons though. Especially since we will find out more about what Dany and Jon have been up to.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 1:50 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
I am just finding some parts that are hard to get through.
YOu are definitely not alone there, I think as a general consent among fans (for what I've seen) Feast is probably the least favourite.

Hmm and any thoughts on the Iron men?

Old November 22nd, 2008, 9:35 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
YOu are definitely not alone there, I think as a general consent among fans (for what I've seen) Feast is probably the least favourite.

Hmm and any thoughts on the Iron men?
I only like the Iron Women.

And I actually enjoyed Feast.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 2:25 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
And I actually enjoyed Feast.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I liked it too, I just thought that of the four books IMO it's the weakest. I didn't like much the new PoV chapter names (titles instead of names, but allthough according to GRRM it has a purpose) and I thought it rather lacked of actual plot furthering.

I liked though Cerseis chapters

the increasing paranoia is very funny

and the cliffhangers SPOILERS FOR THE END OF A FEAST FOR CROWS

Arya...will she stay blind? And is Brienne alive? And Davos? Where is Quentyn? Who will reach Dany first? What is it with Sam and Sarella=Alleras and how will this get important? Will we see undead Gregor again? Is Sandor the gravedigger?
And of course: Jaime: *burns letter* Mwahahahaha

Old December 4th, 2008, 2:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I only like the Iron Women.
Same here.

Iron Men
Other than that, I think the Iron Man are definitely something for the realm or at least Dany to fear. Their attack on the Oldtown was one of the last things we were left with, so it has me wondering what their role in the next book will be.

I have noticed often times people's journey's don't always end in the place they would have hoped so I am wondering if the Iron Men will even make it to Dany.

Out there theory (but what theory isn't )

Okay so after finishing FfC I have been really thinking more about Lyanna and her "Promise me, Promise me Ned" I thought we would have gotten the answer at some point and maybe we never will since both people are dead. But, is it possible at all that Wylla (I think that was the name of Ned's "shame") is even real? No one seems to know who she was, not even Robert. What if Jon was Lynna's son with Rhaegar and she made Ned promise to keep him safe and secret.

I think she died with blood on her, so she could have died in the bed birthing him. Coincidentally, Jon was one of the last thoughts that we got from Ned. He wanted to talk to him on last time to explain things. Could that be what he wanted to tell him?

I know time and time again we are brought back to how much Jon looks like Ned (almost like Harry and James), but my oldest looks a lot like my husbands sister when she was little, so I don't think it is that far fetched to think that Jon could take after his uncle...

I have no idea if they timing of Lyanna's death matches the age of Jon, but....

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:44 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Same here.

Iron Men
Other than that, I think the Iron Man are definitely something for the realm or at least Dany to fear. Their attack on the Oldtown was one of the last things we were left with, so it has me wondering what their role in the next book will be.

I have noticed often times people's journey's don't always end in the place they would have hoped so I am wondering if the Iron Men will even make it to Dany.

Out there theory (but what theory isn't )

Okay so after finishing FfC I have been really thinking more about Lyanna and her "Promise me, Promise me Ned" I thought we would have gotten the answer at some point and maybe we never will since both people are dead. But, is it possible at all that Wylla (I think that was the name of Ned's "shame") is even real? No one seems to know who she was, not even Robert. What if Jon was Lynna's son with Rhaegar and she made Ned promise to keep him safe and secret.

I think she died with blood on her, so she could have died in the bed birthing him. Coincidentally, Jon was one of the last thoughts that we got from Ned. He wanted to talk to him on last time to explain things. Could that be what he wanted to tell him?

I know time and time again we are brought back to how much Jon looks like Ned (almost like Harry and James), but my oldest looks a lot like my husbands sister when she was little, so I don't think it is that far fetched to think that Jon could take after his uncle...

I have no idea if they timing of Lyanna's death matches the age of Jon, but....
Your out-there theory is actually one of the most popular and well-known theories in fandom.

The catch is that GRRM is evil. It would be just like him to make Jon really nothing more than the son of a wet nurse.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy