Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old May 11th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Stephen King

I finally finished Roadwork of the Bachman books yesterday. It took forever to finish considering it's not even that long. I wasn't too impressed with this one. I've a question to ask: after I finish The Running Man, should I continue to pursue the rest of the Bachman books like Thinner and The Regulators? Or should I start the Dark Tower series, or perhaps look for Cujo. I also have Desperation, but would also like to read Different Seasons. Any suggestions??

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2012, 1:53 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Different Seasons is a good change of pace as it consists of four shorter novels all of which are largely free of supernatural elements. It also includes the basis of probably the two best SK films.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 12th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I finally finished Roadwork of the Bachman books yesterday. It took forever to finish considering it's not even that long. I wasn't too impressed with this one. I've a question to ask: after I finish The Running Man, should I continue to pursue the rest of the Bachman books like Thinner and The Regulators? Or should I start the Dark Tower series, or perhaps look for Cujo. I also have Desperation, but would also like to read Different Seasons. Any suggestions??
Have you read The Regulators by 'Richard Bachman'? It is a parallel novel to Desperation [the people's names are all the same], but they all play different roles in a different location.

It is a strange experience to read such a duo.

The Dark Tower Series is always good and now that Stephen has published The Wind Through The Keyhole you can read the whole set and put the aforementioned book in between Wizards and Glass and Wolves Of The Calla. The newest book only gives more of Roland's previous adventures/learning/background but it worth reading (in order) if you plan to read the series. [It used to be my favorite series - until Jo published Harry - now it's a tie.] [We 'oldies' also waited longer for each Dark Tower Book than for Harry Potter.]

Last edited by BublGumPnkHar; May 12th, 2012 at 2:58 pm.
Old May 12th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
Have you read The Regulators by 'Richard Bachman'? It is a parallel novel to Desperation [the people's names are all the same], but they all play different roles in a different location.

It is a strange experience to read such a duo.

The Dark Tower Series is always good and now that Stephen has published The Wind Through The Keyhole you can read the whole set and put the aforementioned book in between Wizards and Glass and Wolves Of The Calla. The newest book only gives more of Roland's previous adventures/learning/background but it worth reading (in order) if you plan to read the series. [It used to be my favorite series - until Jo published Harry - now it's a tie.] [We 'oldies' also waited longer for each Dark Tower Book than for Harry Potter.]
I had forgotten about The Regulators, but no I have yet to read that one too. I didn't know that it was parallel to Desperation, that's good information to know. Why weren't the Dark Tower books released in the order in which they should be read??

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 12th, 2012, 6:08 pm

The original 7 were released in sequence.

A revised and expanded version of The Gunslinger (DT1) was released in 2003. It's the only version currently available (unless you haunt 2nd hand bookshops).

WikiIn his introduction to the new edition, King stated that he felt that the original version was 'dry' and difficult for new readers to access. He also made the storytelling more linear as well as making the plot of the book more consistent with the series' ending. Other changes were made in order to resolve continuity errors introduced by later volumes. The added material was over 9000 words (35 pages) in length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...The_Gunslinger

The new novel (DT4.5) was released out of sequence simply because it was a story which came to SK after the others were published.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old May 12th, 2012, 6:50 pm
Sixth Year

Thanks, Wab - Good explanation.

Old September 21st, 2012, 1:57 am

Release dates for the next two novels have been announced. Joyland on June 4, 2013 and Dr Sleep September 24, 2013.

http://www.stephenking.com

Old September 23rd, 2012, 5:27 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I finished reading Night Shift today, and it was simply horrifying, but I loved every bit of it.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 2:13 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I finished reading Night Shift today, and it was simply horrifying, but I loved every bit of it.
I love his short story collections - there are a lot of hidden gems in them.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 5:39 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
I love his short story collections - there are a lot of hidden gems in them.
Those are some of my favorite books by him.

Liked Everything's Eventual, will have to read it again someday. It's been too long since the last time I've read it. And Full Dark, No Stars (or as my mom calls it, 'So Dark It Won't Start' ) is another good one.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 24th, 2013, 2:30 am

A TV adaption of Under the Dome will start in the US on CBS on June 24th.

Old January 24th, 2013, 5:50 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I actually like reading his short stories a lot better than reading his full novels, he does so much better with them. I heard about the tv series, not sure how I feel about it though since none of the books made into TV movies or tv series never turn out good...

Old January 24th, 2013, 8:26 am

Although the ending of the book turned out to be a steaming pile of turds, the TV series may be better than usual as it started life as a Showtime project, not network.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy