Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

Old June 23rd, 2014, 4:29 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

Well I changed my mind and I have started it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2014, 7:20 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Read it and enjoyed it - the denouement was very clever - I shall have to read it again to pick up on the clues that I missed.

Old September 1st, 2014, 7:48 am
Sixth Year

For some reason, I liked the second book, The Silkworm, better than The Cuckoo's Calling. I don't know if it's just because it's such a refreshing switch from reading textbooks to reading a book for fun, but either way, I thought it was really good.

I did see the killer coming though, because I know JK Rowling. Years of pouring over the Harry Potter books for clues has taught me well. If I didn't know JK Rowling, I'd have never saw it coming. If you want to know how I knew, look at the spoiler below.

Spoiler: show
I knew the killer was Elizabeth Tassel for a couple reasons. One was that she had breathing problems, so that makes you automatically categorize her as an unlikely suspect, which is exactly what JK Rowling wanted us to do. (It's tied up nicely at the end that the reason she's having issues breathing is because she inhaled the acid she used on the victim.) I didn't fall for it, JKR.

Second, we know JK Rowling likes to use name meanings when creating characters. "Robert Galbraith" even loosely translates to "famous stranger." The victim (Quine) was tied up shortly before he was murdered. "Tassel" translates to "cords, strings."

I also now ship Strike and Robin so bad it's not even funny, though it seems others who have read the first two books don't like the idea. I thought it was pretty heavily hinted at from start to finish, even from Robin's side a couple times, but I guess we're only on the second, and JK Rowling is shooting for seven or eight books again. Lots of time, lots of pages.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old September 13th, 2014, 1:23 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Here's my review of The Silkworm. I found it to be a tighter mystery with more action and suspense but with even fewer clues, which is rather annoying, IMO.

Old January 13th, 2015, 3:19 am
Master of the Magical Arts

I just finished it. I enjoyed it a lot and I've already put The Silkworm on my birthday wish list so I can read it too. I can't say that I would have realized immediately this was written by J.K. Rowling before the big reveal, but I think it would have felt very familiar because of the style and the mentions of places like Charring Cross Road and Tottenheim Court Road would have made me think of Harry Potter. There are little nods like that throughout the book - Strike even mentions the record shop on Charring Cross Road, which we all know is right next to The Leaky Cauldron. Now I find myself wondering how Strike would react to meeting someone like Mad-Eye Moody.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old December 13th, 2016, 5:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I've read all 3 and they are amazing. I think there is a plan for a BBC series

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction