Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy

Old February 24th, 2012, 9:42 am
Second Year

Re: JK Rowling announces new book

Quote:
Given that I won't buy it without question I'd have preferred she published under another name (at least initially) so the book would be judged on its own merits.
This is an interesting point, by publishing under another name expectations would have been managed (as there would have been no tie to Harry Potter), and the book would have been judged as any other. However, in a hypothetical situation, if and when it was revealed that JK had written the book I think fans of both Potter and those of the new novel would have felt cheated...

My interest has been piqued, but I think excitement will only come with further announcements.

Last edited by T__Riddle; February 24th, 2012 at 9:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2012, 9:43 am
First Year

I'm both excited and dreading this new book. I hope JKR all the luck, and hope that HP wasn't a fluke in her writing ability.

Though I still in live in hope that in a few more years, she'll create a new fantasy series on the HP universe.

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:43 am
Malum Veneficus

Oh my God! That's the first bit of news I read in months that doesn't get me depressed! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
This is so weird though that it's for adults, funny actually since most of us grew up with Harry and now are adults.
It feels like she's our own author, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
I was hoping she would do a crime or mystery novel - it seems like it would fit her style.
I agree with this. Jo knows when to give and when to withhold information, so that she would give the readers a chance to guess and still not have things spoilt for them, .

Though, I must say I'm looking forward to something more deep than a crime/mystery novel, as much as I like this genre.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post

Given that I won't buy it without question I'd have preferred she published under another name (at least initially) so the book would be judged on its own merits.
I did actually think she'd do this for a long time, just to give the book a fair judgement. I mean it's not like she personally needs the book to sell a lot (which it will just with her name on it). I think it makes sense though that as a writer she'd want to break out from Potter a bit, and have something else to her name as well.

I'm so excited about this! I read quite a wide range of fiction anyway so I'm looking forward to seeing which genre she branches out into. I read this article this morning about it possibly being crime, based on the editor she's using. One of my favourite authors is detective fiction, with the same publisher and according to this article, the same editor as well so that would be really exciting for me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/book...-fiction-clues

I'd love to see something a big step away from Potter, possibly with a female lead character or something. Really pleased it's something for adults as well, having grown up with the series and being of an age where I read a lot of books aimed more towards adults now.

This is exactly what I've been waiting for for years! I've never longed for another Potter book because I think that era is done, but instead have hoped for something separate. I can't wait! I've signed up for email updates on her site as well, to keep up to date with everything

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
Thank you for this link! Admittedly, I'm rather overenthusiastic about everything to do with this new book and it might very well turn out to not be crime fiction. But just the words 'Poirot-esque detective story' made me so delighted, as I love Agatha Christie mysteries!

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Thank you for this link! Admittedly, I'm rather overenthusiastic about everything to do with this new book and it might very well turn out to not be crime fiction. But just the words 'Poirot-esque detective story' made me so delighted, as I love Agatha Christie mysteries!

I wouldn't mind Agatha Christie type mysteries as well, but if you look closely, Rowling did use a lot of mystery and Holmes-type thriller in the Harry Potter books itself, specifically in the Chamber of Secrets and the Goblet of Fire. So it is safe to say she is fairly adept at it, and any thriller/crime novel she publishes will no doubt be gobbled by every person with a pair of eyes. But what would definitely interest me would be a fantasy novel. Okay, maybe I'm biased towards that genre, but Rowling's use of an innumerable number of fantasy elements in Harry Potter suggest she is capable of creating another modern or epic/high fantasy with a gritty story line and gray characters instead of the traditional black and white. Something that absorbs the user with both fantastical elements and plenty of twists and thrills - quite similar too gold old GRRM, but a tad less gory and more appealing to a wider audience.

Old February 24th, 2012, 1:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacevenor View Post
I wouldn't mind Agatha Christie type mysteries as well, but if you look closely, Rowling did use a lot of mystery and Holmes-type thriller in the Harry Potter books itself, specifically in the Chamber of Secrets and the Goblet of Fire. So it is safe to say she is fairly adept at it, and any thriller/crime novel she publishes will no doubt be gobbled by every person with a pair of eyes. But what would definitely interest me would be a fantasy novel. Okay, maybe I'm biased towards that genre, but Rowling's use of an innumerable number of fantasy elements in Harry Potter suggest she is capable of creating another modern or epic/high fantasy with a gritty story line and gray characters instead of the traditional black and white. Something that absorbs the user with both fantastical elements and plenty of twists and thrills - quite similar too gold old GRRM, but a tad less gory and more appealing to a wider audience.
I think J.K. Rowling said that she probably wouldn't write another fantasy book than isn't part of the HP universe because it'd be too similar and draw too many parallels.

Old February 24th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

This is like the most anticipated stand-alone book ever or at least in a long time. I'm interested in it, but I don't know how much. I do want to see if Rowling can do it outside Potter. I feel bad that the book is not going to be judged on its own merits. It could be great, but if it doesn't stand up to Potter it's going to get trashed. I hope it can stand on its own.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:33 am
Zonko's Employee

I'm sure I remember a few years ago reading an interview where she said she would like to write crime but probably under another name. I can't seem to find the interview now (it was pre-DH I think, or maybe right after) so maybe I was just imagining it!

I'm unsure how I feel about it. On one hand I am intrigued to see what she writes but I don't really want to read it because it's written by J.K. I want to read it for its own merits too. I kind of hope it isn't crime as I rarely read crime and I don't think I could justify reading it just because it's J.K.

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog

Last edited by Lucybird; February 25th, 2012 at 1:49 am.
Old February 25th, 2012, 1:22 am
First Year

I wish her luck, I think she'll do well. She has written seven books which continue to captivate us five years after she finished the last.

Old February 25th, 2012, 4:26 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

The one big reservation I have about this is that, as this is a stand along book, it won't have that same long term captivation that the HP series did. HP worked so well because it was a series (amongst many other reasons of course), as the fandom as a whole was able to speculate what would happen in the next book, and realise the clues left in previous volumes to future plots. While this new book is sure to use similar writing methods to those she has already shown (especially if it is a crime or mystery novel), I am just a *little* worried that it won't live up to what is expected because it isn't a series.

That said, I'm happy she hasn't gone straight into another series. That will call for even more HP comparisons, and I know she is trying to minimise those.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 25th, 2012, 5:29 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I think she's a fantastic writer and I'm looking forward to reading this new book. I'm interested to see what she does in a totally different world and (perhaps) genre.

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:49 am
First Year

Guys, it hasn't been said that it's a stand alone book so it could be the start of a new series, perhaps a bit like Ian Rankin's 'Rebus' series.

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:11 am
Second Year

I'd read anything she writes. I would even read her shopping list.

Old February 27th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
I'd read anything she writes. I would even read her shopping list.
Interesting that you mention that, since I just happen to have a copy of it here.

"Eggs
Bacon
Owl
Yogurt
Bread (brown)
Cheddar
A new iron
Diet Coke (six pack)
Milk"

Old February 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Oh how funny, but no need for any other fake grocery lists. Let´s discuss our expectations about the new book.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old February 28th, 2012, 3:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I wouldn't mind a romance novel. This is different from HP.

Old February 29th, 2012, 7:35 am
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I wouldn't mind a romance novel. This is different from HP.
I don't know. The obsession of many in the various romance threads suggest that romance was the only thing the series was about

Anyway, I'm not sure a romance novel would be in her best interests given it would alienate half of her potential audience.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old February 29th, 2012, 7:42 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picko View Post
Anyway, I'm not sure a romance novel would be in her best interests given it would alienate half of her potential audience.
Men read romance novels, too. I translate romance novels for a publishing house specializing in them in my free time and they have plenty of male customers, including of the very enthusiastic variety who discuss on specialized boards.

Old February 29th, 2012, 7:47 am
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Men read romance novels, too. I translate romance novels for a publishing house specializing in them in my free time and they have plenty of male customers, including of the very enthusiastic variety who discuss on specialized boards.
And what would the share of male customers be? I doubt it comes close to a 50:50 split. Plus I'm not particularly convinced by anecdotal evidence.

I am sure some men read Twilight too but that doesn't make it a series that appealed to people of both genders. The readership of romantic novels is extremely biased towards women.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction