Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Biweekly Book Thread #7

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:28 am
Sixth Year

Re: Biweekly Book Thread #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Well, if they actually read it because of the cover, then I'm not totally upset with those covers. .
But to read classics just because of Twilight? As a literature buff, it makes me really sad to see how our generation is all about pop culture. The only reason why they're reading classics is not because they want to read it. They read it because Twilight popularised it. It's pretty sad, really.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2010, 9:58 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post

Well, if they actually read it because of the cover, then I'm not totally upset with those covers. .
It seems to me the kind of people who will read it because of those covers are the ones who won't understand it. Maybe I'm judging, but that is what I think.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Gwen's Auntie

I own two or three copies of To Kill a Mockingbird (and all are this cover), and my books are in good condition, but I would trade all my copies in for one with this cover. I love it so much. I have to stop myself from buying it everytime I see it, because I know I don't need it. But it's so lovely!

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:21 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
1. What do you think a cover illustration should demonstrate?
I think the cover should demonstrate the feeling or one of the major themes of the book.

Quote:
2. Has a bad illustration ever averted you from reading a certain book?
Yes. Sometimes I've read about a book online but seen a bad cover in the bookstore, so I didn't get it.

Quote:
3. Do you like covers with the characters on them or would you rather picture the characters on your own?
I'd rather picture the characters on my own. I don't mind an abstract picture because I can still pretty much imagine the characters the way I see them, but I usually don't like when there is an actual photograph of a person on a book. The one case I don't mind is with the book Kindred by Octavia Butler because the whole atmosphere of the cover is just like the book (although. admittedly, I only read the first half).

kindred:    

4. Do you have a favourite and least favourite cover illustration?
I love the covers for the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. The first one is still my favorite:
The Alchemyst:    

I also like these:
The Pluto Files:    

This is actually a back cover, but it should have been the front
Tipping the Velvet:    

I don't know if I have a least favorite, but after viewing those Twilightified book covers, I think those might qualify.

Quote:
5. Have you ever felt that a certain illustration was inconsistent with the book's content?
Not any books I've read. But I did read once about the book Liar by Justine Larbalestier, which had a picture of a white girl on the cover even though the book is about a black girl.

6. Have you ever bought another copy of a book you already have, just because it has a better cover?
Yes. I have two copies of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

This is the first one I had (which I really loved btw)
cover:    

But when I saw this one I just had to buy it. Not only do I love the colors, but this cover is also textured and has cut pages. It's like holding a tree, which makes me think of the actual story
cover:    

Old August 21st, 2010, 4:32 am
Third Year

One of the books I bought totally based on the cover is this one, A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman. After getting it, I read it and loved it!

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old August 21st, 2010, 2:50 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
but I would trade all my copies in for one with this cover. I love it so much. I have to stop myself from buying it everytime I see it, because I know I don't need it. But it's so lovely!
That's the one I have!

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:45 pm
Third Year

Cover Illustrations
And the impression they give us about books

1. What do you think a cover illustration should demonstrate?

It should give you an idea of the mood of a book (happy, sad, etc.) and a major idea/theme.

2. Has a bad illustration ever averted you from reading a certain book?

Lots of times. When I'm browsing for books in the library, I usually pick up an interesting looking book and read the cover/synopsis. But if the cover seems lame than I don't bother to read the summary. I guess I'm probably missing out on good books by doing that but it helps me eliminate options.

3. Do you like covers with the characters on them or would you rather picture the characters on your own?
I mentioned this in another thread and I personally prefer not to have characters on the covers. I really like to picture them myself.

4. Do you have a favourite and least favourite cover illustration?
Well, these books I haven't read so I really am only judging by the cover illustration. I don't like the cover of Future of Us. But I really like the cover to the books Slice of Cherry and Shiver.

5. Have you ever felt that a certain illustration was inconsistent with the book's content?

Yeah I've seen this a lot of times.

6. Have you ever bought another copy of a book you already have, just because it has a better cover?
Nah.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction