Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Biweekly Book Thread #6

Old July 21st, 2010, 4:13 am
Fourth Year

Re: Biweekly Book Thread #6

1. Where do you get your books?
In book stores, mainly. Sometimes I order books online, but only if I know exactly what I'm looking for and I haven't found it in the local stores. I usually go into a book store not looking for anything, and then I come out a book or two or three or more richer, and no more money. I sometimes go to the library too, but I try not to, because I tend to end up borrowing at least three or four books, and I have a to-read shelf at home that contains at least 50-60 books, and is in danger of breaking under the weight.

2. How often do you buy books?
Too often. I am so stupid sometimes, just after I get money I could spare for some occasion or other, I can't resist going into a couple of book stores or three (I only have three somewhat good ones in my area, one is luckily a very good second- hand books store). As I mentioned earlier, I often come out with no money.
How do you decide if a book's worth buying?
If it's on my wish list, I buy it if I have money; if I've heard several people (or sometimes even just one person) recommend a book that I know are people I can trust when it comes to good books, I might buy it; sometimes I see an author or a title that sounds interesting, and I read on the back of the book, I might buy it if I think I'll like it; and if I find any edition of a book by J.R.R. Tolkien I haven't got yet, I buy it almost without thinking (I'm a collector, you see! ).

All the books I've read the last year (excluding 2-5, perhaps), are books I bought before reading them. The only books in the last few years I have read that I didn't like, are the Twilight books, which I only read because my sister had bought them, and I was curious about what this series was like, since so many discussed it. So, none of my buyings have been disappointments - so far.

3. Do you like reading books online?
I prefer books made of paper, but I read some books (really, mostly first chapters) and stories online. It's not the same, though.

4. Do you use Electronic readers? How do you like them?
I don't, but sometimes I wish I could. I like bringing books to school, but my school bag has, unfortunately, very limited space. An electronic reader would fit into it without any problems, as opposite to the books I often read (monstrously huge brick blocks, my mother calls them). I do not have the money to buy one, though.

5. Where is your favourite place to read?
In bed, or another quiet place where I can read peacefully without anyone or anything disturbing me. But I can also read books in noisy places with lots of people (such as Legoland at it's most crowdy, my family almost left me behind....). I just shut everything out.

6. How often do you read books?
Every day, as many chapters as I can, but at least one per day. Chapter, I mean, not book. (Though I am known to sometimes finish books the same day I started them. )

7. What genre of books do you read mostly?
Fantasy, mostly, and some Science Fiction. And although I am very easily frightened by scary stuff (my paranoia and imagination are well trained and work hard together), I've found that I like horror, too. But not too much of it. I prefer Fantasy and/or Science Fiction with a dash of horror to "just" horror books. But, as I said, I mostly read Fantasy.

8. How do you decide what book to read next?
I don't. It just happens.

No, I plan some, but usually I just feel like reading that book, it's not really a very conscious decision. Though usually I read all books I have on my to-read shelf by the same author before picking a new book more or less at random.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book?

Yes. Chocolate of course. And tea. But I'm careful not to spill any of either on my books.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2010, 7:09 am
Sixth Year

Here are a couple of questions to get started:
The local bookshop.

2. How often do you buy books? How do you decide if a book's worth buying?
Well, by reviews, and if it's an author whose previous books I'd liked, I would get the book.

Sure, yeah.

No, I don't.

Home.

Maybe once every day.

Fiction.

Reviews. I follow one author religiously, and she is Jodi Picoult. I'd check her site for new books.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book?
No, I don't like eating while reading. I'm an apt multi-tasker, but I don't like multi-tasking while doing the things I love.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old July 22nd, 2010, 9:07 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Bookstores: Barnes & Noble and Borders
Christian Bookstores: Family Christian, Crossway, Lifeway

Not very often actually. I usually ask for a lot for Christmas and my birthday. That holds me for a long time.
A book is worth buying if it is by a favorite author or in a series I'm reading. I don't usually branch too far out of that. If it's uncharted territories, aka an author I don't know, I go to the library. Hard part is I read a lot of Christian fiction and you can't really find that at the library.

It's all right. It's not the same as reading a book, but you can get great classics online for free.

Never used one.

My room.

Every day

Christian fiction, but I'll read anything

I have a list going of the books I own but haven't read. I'll randomly choose one of the list. I also have a list of books I want to read that I don't own. Once I get done with the first list I go to the second list and pick randomly.

I don't usually eat while reading.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; July 22nd, 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 1:19 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

1. Where do you get your books? Whether they're paper books or ebooks, pretty much all of my books come from Amazon.

2. How often do you buy books? How do you decide if a book's worth buying? I buy books every month probably. Some of the books are for school, so I have to buy those. Personal reading books I don't buy as often. I get a ton of free ebooks from Amazon; when they're listed for free, and they sound remotely iteresting, I snap them up before the price goes up--I can always delete them later if I don't like them. If I have to pay full price, the biggest factor in deciding to buy a book is whether I have the time to read it right then.

3. Do you like reading books online? No, not at all. The backlit screen hurts my eyes.

4. Do you use Electronic readers? How do you like them? Yes! I own a Kindle and it's the best thing I ever bought. I read so much more now and so much more quickly. And it is extremely easy to navigate, unlike the other ereader someone else posted about in this thread. Plus, Amazon has the biggest catalogue of ebooks. Like others who've posted in this thread, I was a bit dubious about ereaders at first, but I am now in love with my Kindle. If anyone has any questions about this particular ereader, owl me.

5. Where is your favourite place to read? I mostly read on my couch, but in the summer I also read in my back yard while my dogs run around.

6. How often do you read books? Every day.

7. What genre of books do you read mostly? Fiction. And from there, it just depends what's going on at that time of year. During school, I have to read the classics that I'm teaching at that time. (And the students' papers ). During summer, I read whatever happens to be on my reading list at that time. Like right now I'm reading The Dresden Files and Austen.

8. How do you decide what book to read next? If I'm in a series, then that's easy. If not, my next read could be influenced by many things. Talking to friends about what they're reading is a big influence. What's going on in the world or my life influences my list, too--like I read The Lovely Bones after my dad died. Of course, I only have this leeway during the summers. During school, my choices are dictated to me by what I have to read next.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book? Sometimes, but not often. I guess it would be some popcorn or hard candy.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:39 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post

Leah, do you have any good christian books to recommend? I've never read that before.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:52 am
Third Year

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post

Leah, do you have any good christian books to recommend? I've never read that before.
MC, my recommendations include and I'm mainly listing authors: The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson & it's prequel, Danger in the Shadows. Karen Kingsbury, I've read all of hers though my faves are Oceans Apart & When Joy Came to Stay. Robin Jones Gunn - Glenbrooke books. Lori Wick I love all of hers. Emerald WIndows by Terri Blackstock. Eyes of Elisha by BRandilynn Collins. Thr3e by Ted Decker. This list can go on and on. Owl me if you need more. Leah may have some different recomendations.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old July 23rd, 2010, 7:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
Karen Kingsbury is a popular author. I haven't read anything by her except Gideon's Gift, though. I read a lot of Beverly Lewis and Roxanne Henke (well, maybe not a lot since she only has 1 series and 3 stand-alone books). Beverly Lewis writes Amish stories in mostly 3 to 5 book series. Roxanne Henke writes about contemporary men and women finding their place in their family, life, and in Christianity. The stories are geared toward women. Her popular series is Coming Home to Brewster, which I absolutely love. I am currently reading the O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson. It's very predictable, but it's fun to read anyway. I also love the Sisterchicks series by Robin Jones Gunn. They're very quick reads, but they're fun. Each book is a trip to a new country. It's an adventure.

I'll have to check out the books you listed, baseballblondie!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 7:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
originally posted by leah Karen Kingsbury is a popular author. I haven't read anything by her except Gideon's Gift, though. I read a lot of Beverly Lewis and Roxanne Henke (well, maybe not a lot since she only has 1 series and 3 stand-alone books). Beverly Lewis writes Amish stories in mostly 3 to 5 book series. Roxanne Henke writes about contemporary men and women finding their place in their family, life, and in Christianity. The stories are geared toward women. Her popular series is Coming Home to Brewster, which I absolutely love. I am currently reading the O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson. It's very predictable, but it's fun to read anyway. I also love the Sisterchicks series by Robin Jones Gunn. They're very quick reads, but they're fun. Each book is a trip to a new country. It's an adventure.

I'll have to check out the books you listed, baseballblondie!
I've tried Beverly Lewis, and she didn't hold my attention. Roxanne Henke was awesome! And I love the Sisterchicks books. Not as much as Glenbrooke but they fuel my desire to travel.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old July 24th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I didn't like Beverly Lewis at first. It actually took three tries to get through the first book. It was a birthday gift and I wanted to read the whole thing. After reading the entire series I started to like her. I read another series and then fell in love.

Old July 26th, 2010, 1:00 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Used book stores, when I can get to one. I don't like buying from the large book stores, because the books will often be horribly overpriced.

I also get books from the library, but I tend to buy more often than check out.

I do it in bursts. When I get to a used bookstore or a book sale (which is, sadly, not too often), I just buy a bunch of them. I get books that have a good reputation or have been recommended to me by a bunch of people.

Hmm...Not very long. It hurts my eyes and gives me a headache if I read off a screen too long.

Don't have one, so I couldn't tell you.

Somewhere quiet. Either outside or on a nice, soft couch in an empty room.

I make a habit of reading a good chunk of my current book every day.

Hmmm...Mainly classics, but I'm starting to get back to sci-fi/fantasy after a looong break.

There's no logic to it. I see something that looks cool, and I go for it.

I tend not to eat while reading, but I do drink tea or coffee.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 27th, 2010, 3:46 am
Inconceivable!

I get most of my books from the library. When I want to purchase a book and donít have to have it immediately, Iíll order it from Amazon.com. Iíve also gotten books from Borders, Books-A-Million, and Barnes and Noble. And then there are the ďpass around booksĒ. Someone you know lends you one of their books. But the vast majority of them are library books.

I probably buy a few books a year. It is usually a new release, like the latest novel in a popular series, or a book I canít get at the library.

How do you decide if a book's worth buying? If I think Iíll read the book more than once, like the Harry Potter books, then they are worth buying.

It doesnít appeal to me. I look at a computer enough as it is, I donít want to add more screen time to my life.

4. Do you use Electronic readers?
No, I havenít tried one yet. Iíve seen people using them on the train, and they look pretty convenient. One of the things I hate about books is when the print disappears into the center seam on thick books. The electronic reader would eliminate that.

I love to read outdoors on a nice, shady spot if it is nice outside. But my bed is probably my favorite place to read.

I always read on my commute to and from work. I also read before I fall asleep at night. And if the book is really good, Iíll read on the weekends and sometimes the weeknights.

I mostly read fiction. I like historical fiction, the classics, contemporary books, and books that show me a different world, life, or era. Sometimes I want light-hearted, sometimes I want serious.

I get recommendations from the book threads here. Iíve asked my friends and co-workers if theyíve read any good books lately. And I usually check out the readerís recommendations on Amazon.com to see what the book might be like before I read it.

No, I donít usually have to have a snack. Although, come to think of it, something salty is always good.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old July 29th, 2010, 4:17 am
I want to believe

Either Barnes and Noble or Amazon usually, though occasionally I'll buy from Borders or the local dollar bookstore.

Way too often! If I really like a book or series and know I'll read it again in the future, then I buy it. Sometimes I buy books on a whim though if I think I might like it.

No, I never have read a book online.

Nope and I don't think I will anytime soon.

By the lake on which my vacation home is located.

I am always reading in my spare time. I try to read every day.

Sci-fi and fantasy is mostly what I read, though sometimes I'll pick up non-fiction on cosmology/astronomy.

Whichever one is next in my "to read" pile. Sometimes I read them in the order in which I buy/receive them, or sometimes I'll read all the books I have of one series before moving on. With new books, I often check out reviews on Amazon, or even recommendations on CoS threads.

Yes, I love eating while I read. At times I will even eat lunch outside on a weekend with my current read. For snacks, my favorites are usually chips, cookies, or a piece of fruit.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore

Last edited by RemusLupinFan; July 29th, 2010 at 4:20 am.
Old July 29th, 2010, 6:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
By the lake on which my vacation home is located.
I'm insanely jealous! That sounds like the perfect reading spot.

Old July 29th, 2010, 6:28 am
Fifth Year

The Library, Borders, Barnes and NobleLocal New Orleans shops

I don't buy that often. I try to get anything I need from the library but I am signed up for discounts at Borders so I most often buy from them. If it pains me to leave a store without buying a book or it's something I've been waiting for a long time (like the next book in a series), I buy it. And if it costs under 30 dollars.

No, I really hate that. My eyes start to hurt and i can't be comfortable.

I have used them. They're better than reading from a regular computer screen but I still prefer actual books. I like the feel of the pages and the smell, the rough edges and the particles flying away.

In my bed or on a really comfortable public bus.

All the time. I read a lot more now than I did when I was younger.

I don't go looking for any particular genre, but I tend toward fantasy.

I'm not sure. Usually if I like one book by an author, I want to read that person's other books. Sometimes it's because I'm reading a series. Other times, I just read about a book on a website and decide to check it out like I just did with Octavia Butler's Fledgling

I don't like snacks and I really don't like to have food around my books. Besides, I get so wrapped up in books that if I get a snack i could end up eating WAY too much food and feel sick later.

Old August 1st, 2010, 8:47 pm
Sixth Year

Mostly in the library. I can't afford buying all the books I read, and even if I could, I don't have enough room to place them. When I buy books, my favourite places are Gaztambide (a very well-stocked bookshop near home; they have even literature in other languages, which is unusual in a neighbourhood shop) or, if I go downtown, fnac or Casa del Libro, the biggest bookshops in Madrid: they let you wander and have a look as you please.

Not very often. As I've said, I get my books usually in the library, and, besides, I usually get a few for birthday or Christmas. I almost always buy a book or two on April 23, the Book Day (anniversary of Cervante's death), because that day it's cheaper.

The books I buy are mostly books that I've already read several times and that I want to have permanently at my disposal, books that I've read in Spanish and I want to read in English, or books by Mr Pťrez-Reverte, who is my favourite Spanish author. So, my criterion is either previous knowledge or blind confidence in the author's abilities.

There's nothing like a paper book, but online books are fine for books that are hard to find, if you are much in a hurry or if you're reading a bit just for curiosity. Anyway, it gives me a headache when I read too much online.

I've never used them. Till last Christmas they were almost unknown in Spain. They're still very expensive.

Curling on my sofa, usually with a blanket on my stomach and my feet on the table. Not that I can't read almost anywhere (I always carry a book whenever I get the metro), but there's nothing like home.

As often as I can; a few minutes in exam's time, several hours on holidays.

I read a bit of all, my library file must be quite chaotic. This late I've been reading quite a lot of mystery novels, because when I'm stressed I want amusement, not trascendental things.

I have a list in a notebook; whenever I hear of a book that could be interesting, I write it down. If I remember it, I bring the notebook to the library and see if any of the books in the list are available, and if I feel like reading it in that moment. If not, I just wander, opening books and reading bits till something catches my eye.

Sometimes cookies and a cup of tea. But I'm a bit clumsy and I can't usually have the book in one hand and the cookie in the other without dropping something

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Mostly in charity shops, I sometimes buy them new in bookshops if they're ones I want to read as soon as they're out, or ones I really want to read but haven't seen in any of the nearby charity shops. I sometimes swap with friends, too.

When I find one that grabs my attention, usually. Although I try to restrain myself not to go completely daft buying books. If I've read and enjoyed something by the same author, I'll usually give something a try, if not, I'll read the blurb, then the first few pages, to see if the book catches my attention.

No, for me, nothing beats the feeling of holding a real book in my hands.

Same as above.

In bed, or curled up in a comfy chair. Or a good book can really shorten a bus or train journey.

I usually have a book or two on the go, how quickly I finish them depends on how eager I am to see how it all ends, and what's happening in real life.

I like a little bit of everything, really. If the premise sounds good, I don't really mind what the genre is. I enjoy historical fiction a lot, crime thrillers, the occasional chick-lit, some fantasy or horror, some classics and some sad dramas.

I have a long to-read list that's keeping me occupied, I'll sometimes go back and read something I really enjoyed and let the to-read list wait.

Usually chocolate or crisps.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and sheís trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old August 12th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Barnes & Noble mostly I have a nice one a 5 minute walk from my home - but if I buy online I'll also look at Amazon.

Way too often - I'd say once a month. I buy most of my books and if I really like it I keep it, and if it wasn't one I plan to read again I'll pass it to a friend to read. My sister, mom and myself often trade books with each other, so it's nice to know that we have all read the same copy.

I haven't really read any books online.

I really want a Kindle just so that I could have several books with me at all times. But I haven't yet convinced myself it is worth the money. I have some books on my iPod Touch and I like reading them that way, esp. while waiting for a train, but I feel that you don't get a sense of the physical progress through the book that you get with a paper copy.

I don't really have a favorite place.

I am usually partway through 2-3 books at any time. But if it's a good one I generally just have to put everything on hold and read it through to the end. Some books, like the Hunger Games series, I will finish and flip back to the front to read it again.

I love books that include dystopian societies - or just different societies in general. I end up with a lot of teen books and fantasy, but it's all good so long as it's believable. I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to Owl me any!

I ask around a lot and get a to-read list going. I'll also look at the online book store lists of the 'if you liked _ you'll like _." Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But often, like my current read, I'll see a review and run out and buy the book.

I tend to get myself a snack but then eat it before I start reading so that the pages don't get all crummy.

Old August 13th, 2010, 2:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I really want a Kindle just so that I could have several books with me at all times. But I haven't yet convinced myself it is worth the money. I have some books on my iPod Touch and I like reading them that way, esp. while waiting for a train, but I feel that you don't get a sense of the physical progress through the book that you get with a paper copy.
Kindle does give you a visual of your progress though the book at the bottom of the screen. And it shows the percentage of the book you've read--that's why you'll often hear me say "I've read 17 percent of x book."

Old August 13th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Third Year

College library, uni library, bookshops, online, second-hand shops, book markets, gifts, borrowing from friends or my dad.. anywhere!

I bought one today but that is quite rare, I tend to err on the side of caution because I don't feel I should waste money on books. I'll buy if I think it's a classic that I'll read more than once (and my dad doesn't have it) or if I don't think I can get it anywhere else. I crumble sometimes and just impulse buy about ten books but normally I use the library.

Not really, I like the feeling of curling up with a physical book-shaped book and I find huge webpages of text less pleasing on the eye. The only e-books I read are non-fiction academic-ish ones, if I can't find them anywhere else.

No, same reason as above... I just like books. To be fair I've never tried electronic readers, I might like them.

In bed or in the garden on a sunny day.

Probably daily, I now find it almost physically impossible to sleep without at least reading a little.

I have no idea! I find it hard to name just one genre. I think my favourites would be histories, sci-fi and fantasy, non-fiction science, comedy and any of the classics.

My family share books a lot so I always have a few books advised to me by my sister or parents.

Tea!

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Second Year

I buy most of my books. I used to use my sisters library card (hehe) to get some from the library, but they are not that well stocked so I gave up on that. I usually buy my books, and ocassionally someone gives me a book. I'm mostly self-supplying though haha

Way too often. I have so many unread books because I tend to grab books that I like and reread that. I have read the complete HP series at least 6 or 7 times and I don't think I will stop there. There are not many books that fully absorb me and still tell me new things that I don't already know, but somehow JK Rowling manages to surprise me every time I read another book of the series again. It's amazing.

How do you decide if a book's worth buying?
I read the description on the book and then think about it. I usually think about the price, too. I'm really a cheapass when it comes to the price of my books. The HP related books (or the Twilight ones for that matter) cost me a little more than I usually spend (er, I have two complete HP sets in different languages, so I guess it's more than "a little") but I don't mind.

Sometimes I buy my books at the local library when they're having a sale. Books will cost Ä 0,50 or Ä 1,- so that's really worth trying and I don't really mind the cover then (although I'm one of the weirdos that prefers paperback over hardcover).

If I have a little spare money, like in my paypal account or something, I will most likely spend it on a couple of books.

No. I like to read my book on the couch, or in the back yard, even when it's cold - I'll grab myself a cup of steaming tea to go along with it. Reading is really a relaxing moment for me and I don't want to do that online, since I spend most of my time on my computer anyways.

No. I like flipping my pages, touching the paper, the smell of the books. I don't think I will change any time soon. I have an iPhone and I tried reading through iBooks, and even though I'm pleased that I can select the font and such, I'm still way more a fan of the paper version of a book.

Either in bed or in the backyard. I even read when it's only 10 C outside; I put on some warm clothes and grab some tea. It keeps me warm. As long as it's afternoon and no evening, I'll be fine I also love to read on the beach. The water sounds relaxing or something, I don't know.

I would say probably almost every day. At least, I try. Sometimes I don't read for three days and the next day I finish and entire book by reading 400 pages that day. I think my average is about 1 book per week, although some books don't stick to that rule haha.

Fantasy and Chicklits. I recently discovered I really like fantasy, so I'm trying to read more and more of that genre. Most of my bookshelf consists out of chicklits btw

I have no idea! I never paid attention to that. Sometimes a book is on my to-read shelf for so long, that I lay it on my desk for "easy grabbing" so I won't forget it. It doesn't always work though. Otherwise I'll probably just stare at my shelf to see what I want to read. Or if I have a series, I pick up the next part. There's no logical thing behind me picking my next read at all!

I usually don't snack while reading, because I get too preoccupied with the book itself and I'm scared to get food stuff on my pages. Sometimes I take a little break from reading to talk to my sister or something, that's usually the moment where I get a little snack haha. I do like to eat a cookie while I'm reading, that goes perfectly with my tea hehe!

I wonder one thing about my fellow readers (if I may say so). How many books do you own?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction