Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Electronic Readers

Old October 24th, 2011, 3:45 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Electronic Readers

It has less to do with the quality of the product than a desire to make Pottermore the exclusive distributor.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Fourth Year

I was against getting an E-reader at first because I liked being able to hold a book and read it, flipping the pages etc. but I'm slowly coming round to the idea of them, it's easier to carry them around than a pile of books, and if I had one I'd probably read on the bus and train more than I do now. Plus, after forking out for the E-reader, the books are really cheap and some you can get for free - and I'd probably get the E-reader as a present anyway

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Third Year

I have a Kindle on hold, but I'm putting it back...I like the idea of carrying your books around on a simple device, but they cost the same as an actual tangible copy of the book - some of them are even a little bit more!

If I'm still going to be paying 8$ for Vampire Mountain, I'm getting an actual copy

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:30 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
I have a Kindle on hold, but I'm putting it back...I like the idea of carrying your books around on a simple device, but they cost the same as an actual tangible copy of the book - some of them are even a little bit more!

If I'm still going to be paying 8$ for Vampire Mountain, I'm getting an actual copy
Yeah, that didn't used to be the case. When iBooks came into being, the major publishers Upped their ebook prices. I would never pay more for an ebook than a hard copy. But I still enjoy my Kindle for every other book.

Old November 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post

Some books are still less, but they've become more equal.

I've seen some interesting stuff with ebook loaning thorough public libraries - I hope this takes off. It would be great to be able to borrow a book from home on your ereader.

My 10 year old has a Kindle, it has come in handy a couple of times - she forgot her school book and needed it for homework and I was able to buy a copy for $5 and it was on her device instantly. If I were to take the subway to and from school to get that book it would have cost the same $5. This way we saved time and then she always had a copy at home.

I'm getting one for myself for those books I don't want to own, but I want to read. Like Freakonomics type books - books you read once quickly but it doesn't need to sit on your shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I was against getting an E-reader at first because I liked being able to hold a book and read it, flipping the pages etc. but I'm slowly coming round to the idea of them, it's easier to carry them around than a pile of books, and if I had one I'd probably read on the bus and train more than I do now.
Same here, I love the idea of being able to carry around several books in my pocketbook without the weight.

And yes, many books are free. I have all the Oz books for my daughter and I didn't pay anything for them. It's pretty brilliant!

Old November 13th, 2011, 4:14 pm
Sixth Year

Orignally, I was against getting a Kindle or Nook because, like so many of you, I like holding books in my hands. However, one of my mom's former co-workers showed me her Kindle and how it works, and I think they're pretty neat. I've considered getting one because of the many books I can get for free and because I don't have space in my room for more books. I would only get books I don't already have though.

An advantage would be that you have all the books you want in an easy to use and easy to carry device. The disadvantage would be that it would be easier for someone to steal the device. However, I would say to use common sense if you take your device anywhere. My mom's former co-worker has a case she keeps hers in and keeps it in her purse.

I think it'll change the nature of reading, but as long as the authors still get money for the e-book, I don't see a problem with it.

Old November 14th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Second Year

I love my kindle, but I don't use it to replace reading physical copies of books. I tend to grab physical copies quicker, because they are in sight. I don't have that with my Kindle. In order to see the books, I need to switch it on and look through my folders.

And honestly, I agree with what is said above about the prices of eBooks. I refuse to buy an eBook when it costs more than a hardcopy of a book. Publishers can say what they want about 'you're paying for the story, not for the format' and 'you pay the author', but I simply do not believe that distributing them via internet costs just as much as producing a paper copy of a book and shipping it. I just can't.

I love my Kindle, but I have so far only bought one book for it (three, actually, as they had The Hunger Games Trilogy on sale for like € 5) and the rest I have is free. Either books from before 1923 or books that I get from Netgalley. Works fine like that for me

Unless the prices for eBooks drop, I don't think I'll be changing this any time soon

Old November 15th, 2011, 1:22 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
And honestly, I agree with what is said above about the prices of eBooks. I refuse to buy an eBook when it costs more than a hardcopy of a book. Publishers can say what they want about 'you're paying for the story, not for the format' and 'you pay the author', but I simply do not believe that distributing them via internet costs just as much as producing a paper copy of a book and shipping it. I just can't.
E-books are basically free for a publisher to produce, other than the original cost to have it put in that format, and if they pay someone like Amazon or B&N to sell it (and it probably works the other way around...Amazon probably pays the publisher for the rights to sell the book). Other than that, I really don't think it costs anything. So if the books are selling on Kindle for the same price they're selling in the hardcover/paperback format, then they're making quite a bit of extra profit on that. I think eventually some company will end up selling for a few dollars under the paper price, and other companies will follow suit. We'll see though. It's still a fairly new technology, and nobody's really quite sure how to price things yet, it seems.

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:48 pm
Sixth Year

There are some books that are cheaper on the Kindle than they are in regular book format. I saw that the Steve Jobs book costs more in book format than on the Kindle. I can't remember the price though.

Anyway, I'm also going to look into getting a Nook, but I don't know much about it. Is there anyone who can tell me about it?

Also, say you buy a book, but you find out you don't like it. Can you delete that book from your list?

Old November 16th, 2011, 2:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Also, say you buy a book, but you find out you don't like it. Can you delete that book from your list?
I have a Kindle, so I don't know how it works on a Nook. But on a Kindle, you do not need to keep all your books on your device. Amazon archives all books you purchase in the Kindle Store and you can keep them in the archives there until you are ready to read them. Then you just download them to your device. You can move books between your device and your archive as often as you want. And when you first purchase a book, you have a certain numbers of days to "return" it and get your money back if you purchased it by accident or you don't like it. You can also permanently delete any book from your archive if you do not want it anymore. If you decided to read it again in the future, I believe you'd have to repurchase it.

Old November 16th, 2011, 2:43 am
Sixth Year

Ah, thanks for tellng me.

Old November 16th, 2011, 2:46 am

Oh, I also forgot to mention that you can download a free sample of books. That way you can read a bit of it before deciding if you want to buy it. I've had my Kindle for about three years and have only needed to return one book.

Old November 21st, 2011, 2:39 pm
First Year

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?

No, I don't. And... I absolutely don't consider buying one lol.

What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?

I see at least one advantage: you can take tons of books with you on vacation.

It saves paper, but at what cost? More electronic stuff that will be thrown away eventually.
People (when it's not children) working for peanuts somewhere on this planet. All the pollution to make those e-readers- come to your country...

I'm not really into technology in case you didn't notice
Just what I need in my everyday life is enough for me

Do you feel that e-readers change the nature of reading?

I'm a ink and paper lover. I need to feel a book between my hands. The smell of old books, of new books is really unique to me. I wouldn't trade that for a... tablet or something.

I don't judge the ones who do though

Chamber of Secrets and Pottermore
Sig by NikkyNik. Nice n' Spicy since 1991.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons -
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Old December 11th, 2011, 3:33 pm
Sixth Year

Well, I looked into getting the Nook, and it really looks cool. I think I might get that rather than the Kindle because with the Nook, you can use Barnes & Noble gift cards to buy your books, which is pretty cool if you don't want to use a credit or debit card. And the good thing is that even though you have to use Wi-Fi, you only need it for downloading and not for reading.

Old December 11th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Well, I looked into getting the Nook, and it really looks cool. I think I might get that rather than the Kindle because with the Nook, you can use Barnes & Noble gift cards to buy your books, which is pretty cool if you don't want to use a credit or debit card. And the good thing is that even though you have to use Wi-Fi, you only need it for downloading and not for reading.
Just want to point out that you can also use Amazon gift cards to make purchases for Kindle. And you do not need wifi for reading on kindle either, just for downloading. I keep my wifi off all the time except when I'm downloading something.

Old December 14th, 2011, 11:58 am
Fourth Year

So the other week I made an off-hand comment to my mum about how I thought Kindles were kind of cool and a good idea, and now it turns out she's got me one for Christmas, which I wasn't expecting her to do. Now I want to know whether they are any good, I know about some books being cheaper to buy as books but I'll probably try to get some of the free ones to start with anyway. What does everyone else think of them? Are there any problems I need to look it for or anything like that?

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old December 14th, 2011, 2:58 pm
First Year

I love my Kindle. It's amazing. Got it about a year ago, and now when I have to read a stupid regular book it makes me mad. Ugh. My kindle has free 3g on it, so I can surf the web (although it certainly isn't the best device to do so, it still woks in a pinch) and browse the shop anywhere, not just where there is a wifi connection. I'm not sure about people saying that ebooks are costing the same or more than a regular book, I've yet to see that anywhere. Even brand new books I've gotten have been at least 5 bucks cheaper than it would be to get a book book, and even then it's usually been more. And there are often great deals, they were bundling the first four A Song of Fire and Ice books for how much two of the book books would have cost. Seriously, my Kindle is my favorite thing I own. I love progress and avancement in technology and to me books to ebooks is like horses to cars, it's just leaps and bounds better. It feels better, it's awesome to be able to highlight a word and get a definition, easily mark passages, see passages anyone else who has read the book has marked (seriously, if there's a certain part people love it highlights it and tells you how many people love it. If you keep the 3g or wifi on, it continuously updates, otherwise it will just be at the time you downloaded it.) When I finish a book I can easily rate it and it posts to my facebook automatically, there are a ton of fun games on it. For those interested I have the one with a keyboard on the bottom, I know they just put some out without a keyboard. the screen is amazing, e-ink has got to be the coolest invention ever lol. It looks fantastic. Now my local library has ebook offerings, and you can share books between kindles. It really is the bestest!

Old December 14th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Sixth Year

Thanks for the info, Freelantzer, but I think I'll stick with a Nook. It just seems easier for me to get that anyway.

Old December 15th, 2011, 4:26 am

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Freelantzer, but I think I'll stick with a Nook. It just seems easier for me to get that anyway.
Sure! enjoy your nook!

Old December 15th, 2011, 3:26 pm
Sixth Year

I will if I get it. I hope I can.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction