Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Electronic Readers

Old December 27th, 2010, 4:33 am
Third Year

Re: Electronic Readers

I got one for Christmas. Love it. I find it very convenient and easy to read. If you don't have to spend your own money on it, the discount on books is really quite nice

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2011, 2:54 am
Third Year

Just wanted to add that after having my Kindle for almost a year, I feel like I'm finally growing more used to it. It took a while for me to adjust to the feeling of reading on an electronic device and to spending money on e-books (it just seems so much more worth the money when you're getting something solid), but I'm progressively beginning to love it more and more.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old January 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
First Year

As a Borders employee, I would recommend staying away from anything we sell. With Amazon and Barnes & Noble lowering their prices, the Nook and Kindle are much better buys for your money. Although, I'm totally against them, but that's another conversation.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 7:20 pm
Malum Veneficus

I wanted to ask, how long does the battery last? Because it must be so frustrating, if the battery emptied when you're reading something interesting. It has happened to me several times on the phone.

I think it would be really useful for me to get one, and I hope it wouldn't take me long to get used to it, as I already used my phone for that purpose for so long.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 7:44 pm
First Year

Depends on the device, but most can stay alive for ten days.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 9:53 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I wanted to ask, how long does the battery last?
It depends on the device. My Kindle battery will last for weeks (I only turn the wireless on when downloading something and this preserves the charge). You can still read it when it is charging, too.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I wanted to ask, how long does the battery last? Because it must be so frustrating, if the battery emptied when you're reading something interesting. It has happened to me several times on the phone.

I think it would be really useful for me to get one, and I hope it wouldn't take me long to get used to it, as I already used my phone for that purpose for so long.
As long as the wireless isn't on, Kindle can keep a charge for what I'm guessing is close to a month. I haven't plugged it in since Christmas Day, and have read it fairly often. My battery indicator just lost the first part of its bar today. I'm guessing that means it has either 75 or 80% charge remaining.

Old January 4th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Malum Veneficus

Wow, that's a long time! I thought it lasts for five days, maybe, a week maximum.

Old January 5th, 2011, 12:02 am
Third Year

There's no light to the screen...when you look at it, it really does look like you're looking at a page from a book. There's not much there to draw power, so it can last for quite a while.

Old January 5th, 2011, 12:33 am

Yeah, it only uses power when you turn a page. Doesn't take any power to keep the image on the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
There's no light to the screen...when you look at it, it really does look like you're looking at a page from a book.
This is what I love about it. I can read it for hours and hours without any eye strain.

Old January 5th, 2011, 10:41 am
Malum Veneficus

How large is its screen? Does it show a whole page at once? Also, I wonder if the page count on Kindle is the same as the normal books, (i.e page 70 in a normal book, is also page 70 on the Kindle version)?

Old January 5th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
How large is its screen? Does it show a whole page at once? Also, I wonder if the page count on Kindle is the same as the normal books, (i.e page 70 in a normal book, is also page 70 on the Kindle version)?
It doesn't really work like that. The screen sizes differ depending on which version of the Kindle (or Nook, or whichever device) you get. My version is the most recent. It has a small-ish screen, and is smaller than the page you'd get on most paperbacks. This doesn't affect the size of the print, though. You just get less lines per page.

The current book I'm reading has 23 lines per page, but the Kindle doesn't deal in page numbers, it deals in what it calls "Locations". It lists this book as having 6,717 locations, with about 11 locations per page. On Amazon, it lists the book as having 386 pages, which works out to 17 locations per real page. So you get roughly 2/3 of a book page on each Kindle page, on my device. It's really confusing at first, but once you read a few pages you forget all about the "locations".

So if you're trying to line up a location with a page number, for reference or what have you, then you're going to have trouble. However, you can add notes to your kindle on parts you may want to remember for later use.

I'll say this: Don't get a Kindle to re-buy what you already own, unless what you already own is falling apart. Use it to read new books, to keep space on your bookshelf free.

Old January 5th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
There's no light to the screen...when you look at it, it really does look like you're looking at a page from a book. There's not much there to draw power, so it can last for quite a while.
I'd say on average my Kindle battery lasts a week and a half to two weeks when I'm using it regularly.

Old January 6th, 2011, 5:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I was able to use my new Kindle for a couple weeks before I charged it. And the battery wasn't even dangerously low when I did. It could have gone for a little longer. During that time, I was able to read about 6000 "locations" worth of text, I believe. However, I didn't use the wifi at all during that time, either.

How long the battery last will probably depend a lot on how you use the device, but overall it's generally pretty good. Much, much better than a cell phone or laptop, for example.

Old January 10th, 2011, 12:45 am

Quote:
The screen on a standard kindle is 6 inches. The Kindle DX has a 9.7 inch screen. The page numbers don't equate with paper books because you can change the font size on your kindle. That's why they use "locations" instead of page numbers. Sometimes if I'm tired or in a dim area, I'll make the font bigger than I normally do. You just have to "turn the pages" more often if you use a bigger font.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 2:45 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
I've been really impressed with the Kindle I bought for my daughter. I've charged it, literally, 4 times since she started using it last October. Given, she doesn't use it daily, but still impressive.

I didn't think I'd like reading on it, but turns out I do. I find the Kindle interface a bit clunky, but once you get used to it it's ok. For example, I wish that it listed all your books in a better more user friendly way, but instead it's just alphabetical or by author (or one other sort category which I can't remember right now).

I have tried reading on an iPad, and the glare really was a problem, that and the brightness, which was reset every time the iPad went to sleep. Gave me a headache. Aside from the way you turn the pages, and the way the books are displayed, it's not a great device for reading at all.

I haven't tried the Nook yet, but I have friends who love that it is more than a book reader. I actually like the Kindle because it's just a library in a tiny package. Great for my young kids who I don't want roaming the internet when I'm not around.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:16 pm
First Year

I thought I'd never consider an ereader but I saw a Kindle the other day and I was surprised by how glare free the screen is. Problem is Kindle isn't compatible with the ebooks my library offers, but Sony and Nook are. When I read the reviews though, it seems like Kindle is the best. I'm not sure what to do: hope that Kindle agrees to play ball with other providers or just to forget it.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:44 pm
Third Year

Snapespet:

From what I've heard, everyone who's bought a Kindle loves it, and everyone who's bought a Nook loves it. The differences likely aren't big enough to really make one superior to another.

Old April 10th, 2011, 2:14 pm
First Year

I heard that JKR is 'actively considering' releasing HP in an ebook format. If she does, I will definitely get an ereader. Having all your HP books with you wherever you are would be heaven.

Old April 11th, 2011, 6:10 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapespet View Post
I heard that JKR is 'actively considering' releasing HP in an ebook format. If she does, I will definitely get an ereader. Having all your HP books with you wherever you are would be heaven.
Where did you hear this? I've been hearing she is adamently against putting her series into e-book format.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction