Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Electronic Readers

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:52 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Electronic Readers

Kindle is one reader I'll avoid due to the proprietary format (AZW) used for books bought through Amazon's Kindle Book Store. Documents formatted in PDF, DOC and RTF have to be e-mailed to Kindle for conversion to AZW.

Amazon Kindle International: clunky proprietary formats, woefuel e-book store and US-centric design make for an unappealing device

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2010, 4:42 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Can you download e-books you have in your computer to the reader? I mean, with a cable and a USB connector (I guess you can, otherwise it would be a poor design, but it's just to be sure).
Depends on the format. Kindle uses PRC or AZW format. If you have books you have previously purchased in an unsupported format, you can e-mail the doc to Amazon and they will do the conversion and e-mail it back to your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Kindle is one reader I'll avoid due to the proprietary format (AZW) used for books bought through Amazon's Kindle Book Store. Documents formatted in PDF, DOC and RTF have to be e-mailed to Kindle for conversion to AZW.

Amazon Kindle International: clunky proprietary formats, woefuel e-book store and US-centric design make for an unappealing device
Not necessarily. Amazon provides free software through Mobipocket (an Amazon company) so you can do the conversion yourself. Takes no time at all.

The International design only became available a few months ago, and yes, it still has issues, just like any other electronic device, but not for U.S. customers. If I remember correctly, you are outside the U.S. Are any other e-readers available to you?

From your posts, I'm guessing you don't want one anyway and I really don't want to convince you. Just answering questions, here.

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Depends on the format. Kindle uses PRC or AZW format. If you have books you have previously purchased in an unsupported format, you can e-mail the doc to Amazon and they will do the conversion and e-mail it back to your Kindle.
Which is insane and the problem with all proprietary formats. Native support of common formats like PDF, DOC and RTF without mucking about with sending files to Amazon is common sense.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Amazon provides free software through Mobipocket (an Amazon company) so you can do the conversion yourself. Takes no time at all.

The International design only became available a few months ago, and yes, it still has issues, just like any other electronic device, but not for U.S. customers. If I remember correctly, you are outside the U.S. Are any other e-readers available to you?

From your posts, I'm guessing you don't want one anyway and I really don't want to convince you. Just answering questions, here.
The thing is something that has been available for years shouldn't require debugging.

When I get an e-reader (a decision which will be based on affordability) I'd more likely plump for a BeBook which has native support for PDF and JPG files.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old January 29th, 2010, 4:42 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I'm going to answer my own questions now.

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?
Yes, I have one! Just got it, actually. I ordered a Kindle for myself right after Christmas, and I love it. $259 is kinda pricey, but I never splurge on anything for myself so I decided to do this for myself. I am really glad I did.

What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?
Recenlty, holding my actual books has been uncomfortable for me. I have problems with my hands and wrists, and I have been having trouble holding my books open and reading for long periods of time. That's a main reason why I wanted to get an e-reader. But now that I have it, I have found tons of other things to love about it.

I love having so many books at my fingertips. It is so easy to switch between several books that you are reading. The other day I was at the doctor's office and didn't feel like reading Wuthering Heights--too many distractions. So I just selected a more mindless read from my list. It was great.

Des has already discussed many of the things that I enjoy about my Kindle, but one of the biggest draws for me was having the ability to link to other Kindles. So my mom and I could link our Kindles to the same account (if she had a Kindle) and we could then share all of our books. Whatever I bought, she would also get, and vice versa. And you can link as many as 6, I believe. I'm not linked to anyone yet, but if you found someone with the same reading taste, you would both be cutting your book costs by linking up and sharing books. Pretty cool.

Do you feel that e-readers change the nature of reading?
I definitely read much more now. And I also noticed that I read a lot faster on my Kindle than with an actual book. I'm a fast reader anyway, but I definitely read much faster on my Kindle. I'm not sure why--I never noticed that page-turning slowed me down before, but I guess it did.

Old February 10th, 2010, 4:05 pm
I want to believe

Earlier in the week I was looking at the Nook e-reader at Barnes and Noble. I like the look of it over the Kindle (especially the fact that there aren't as many buttons on the sides that you could accidentally press), but apparently there are still lots of bugs in the Nook software/system. Here's a review I found of the Nook vs. Kindle: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...h/10pogue.html

Given this review, it looks like if I were to get an e-reader, it would probably be the Kindle.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old March 14th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Qvack...

I waited two years for the Kindle to be made an international product. In the meantime, my mother purchased a Sony Reader, and there was all sorts of problems with it- the majority of them stemming from the fact that copyright and other IP laws mean that there is no competition for ebooks in Ireland. For the Sony Reader, you must, and I repeat must buy them in Waterstone's, because any other site will not let you buy them as a result of publisher's laws. This is cruel because the Waterstone's Ireland site is poorly laid out and it is impossible to find anything on it- and as well as that, the prices are too high.

So I waited for my Kindle, and I got it just before Christmas. Honestly, I am so glad I waited. It's simple to use, the battery lasts ages, all the books I've bought are right there in front of me, as well as a copy of my brother's thesis in pdf format, which is a neat thing to be able to do. The Kindle Store is so easy to navigate and I have no issue with the prices because no matter what book I buy, I save a few euro at the very least.

Honestly, it is a dream. Fine, I blew some decent wages on it. I don't care; it's the best investment I've made since my iPod....

I also notice that I seem to read faster with it!!

THE DUCK.

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Suteki da ne

I don't know about this. I mean I'm always getting caught when I go out and I finish a book and have nothing to read. But I like my books, and I'm not sure that an electronic device will be as good...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 17th, 2010, 6:17 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I don't know about this. I mean I'm always getting caught when I go out and I finish a book and have nothing to read. But I like my books, and I'm not sure that an electronic device will be as good...
My advice is to consider it, not as a replacement, but as an addition, to the overall reading experience. That sounds like a tv commercial, but honestly that's what I've found it to be.

THE DUCK.

Old March 17th, 2010, 4:36 pm
Suteki da ne

I have thought about it that way, but I don't really consider paying over 150 an addition to my reading experience when I can buy books for 50p each.
That sounds like I'm having a go at you, but I'm really not- it's just that it doesn't seem worth it to me

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 17th, 2010, 5:50 pm

And there's the big but that bugs me.

As anal as I am about my books (I get annoyed if I crease the spine of a paperback) bad things happen such as being dropped, being spilt on and teething puppies.

Books endure that. I'm not sure an e-reader would.

Old March 18th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Sixth Year

Apart of the price, one of the main objections I have about e-readers is that they're still so uncommon that they're quite an attractive thing for any crook (professional or amateur) to steal. I would never bring it to college, for instance.

Old April 15th, 2010, 2:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Honestly, it is a dream. Fine, I blew some decent wages on it. I don't care; it's the best investment I've made since my iPod....

I also notice that I seem to read faster with it!!
That has also been my experience with my new Kindle. Love it.

I also just discovered today that Ender's Game is now available on Kindle! It wasn't back in January when I first got mine. So excited.

Old December 12th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Seventh Year

I have to admit, I am a converted Kindle user. I was vehemently against buying one. For the same reasons most have mentioned above, preferring the feeling of the book.

However, my boyfriend went out and got me one for my birthday this year in October. Well it was a gift. I had to play with it! And I fell in love with it. Again for many of the already mentioned reasons by people who have them.

Oh and we love that whispersync feature. My boyrfriend figured it out, he downloads a lot of my books to his iphone, and pays for many himself which I snag from his iphone a lot of times.

Last edited by crookshanks1177; December 12th, 2010 at 11:18 pm.
Old December 13th, 2010, 2:14 am

Kindle will ultimately fail if it sticks to a proprietory format instead of migrating to an open format like ePub.

Old December 13th, 2010, 9:13 am
Fourth Year

1. Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?
Nope... I have several books on my iphone, but I don't like it. I know it's not the same as a Kindle, etc, but still. I like the feeling of holding a book, reading it so often the spine is torn, it has stains inside and it tempts me to buy a new copy. I don't think I will ever convert to e-books. Besides.. I like bookshops and libraries to much.

I can see the advantages. You don't have to carry an entire stack of books around on holiday. Everything is on one e-reader. It sounds wonderful. But it's not a book. It doesn't feel the same way, doesn't smell the same, it's not the same.

I hope not nor do I think it will. I hope there will always be enough people who love to snoop around in bookshops and libraries.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 4:15 am
Third Year

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?
Yes, I have a Kindle.

Advantages: You can get books instantly; you don't have to carry around a lot of books; it's easier to hold while reading; it can save you money over time; it can help if your house is being overtaken by the number of books you have.
Disadvantages: It feels a lot different than reading; it can cost you money over time if you're like me and you buy it and then still buy normal books; you don't get to see the pretty books sit on your shelf.

Yeah. It's very different. I can't read certain books on it -- I read a lot of mysteries, for example, and a page-turner just isn't the same if you aren't physically turning the pages. I like to read classics on it, though, which are available for free (score!).

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old December 23rd, 2010, 5:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoonyLovegood_ View Post
it can cost you money over time
I find that I will buy TONS more books when all I have to do is click a mouse. It's just way too easy, you know? Bad for my wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoonyLovegood_ View Post
I can't read certain books on it -- I read a lot of mysteries, for example, and a page-turner just isn't the same if you aren't physically turning the pages. I like to read classics on it, though, which are available for free (score!).
I agree that there are certain types of books that you just want a paper copy of (on Kindle Boards they call them "Dead Tree Books"--nice rhetoric, that--heh, heh). For example, I always want the novels I teach in paper form so I can more easily flip to the quote I want and have the same page numbers as the students. Also, books with lots of pictures or graphics I'd want in paper form. But for most reading, I adore my Kindle.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 6:31 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Nook and Kindle both have apps for cell phones and computers. This is great, because I have a tablet so I have both apps on my computer and can get free ebooks (mostly classics) and read them on my computer. My tablet is not that portable as it doesn't fit in my purse or pocket like a cell phone and is bigger than an iPad or e-reader (the screen is 12.1"), but I can take it on the road and in an airplane so traveling with it is great.

I don't think I will actually go out and buy a Kindle or a Nook (for one thing I can't decide which to get), but if someone bought one for me as a gift I would be happy and use it.

I still enjoy reading "paper" books more as I can hold them and for some reason feel more a part of the story, but being able to get something like Little Men and the rest of Louisa May Alcott's collection for free appeals to me.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 8:06 pm
Second Year

I've thought about getting an eReader a lot last year. I had some books and thought it would be great to read on. But now, while I read a whole lot more (and my collection has grown a lot), I'm not too fond of having an eReader anymore.

I like my books. Actually, I love them. I can sit on my bed and watch the pretty covers for a long time - I'm a dork like that. I like the feel of paper, the smell of it and the way the cover feels and looks. I've fallen in love with reading all over again and I have to say that I tried reading digitally - on both my computer and my iPhone - but it's not working for me. I know I can adjust the font and the lighting and everything, but it's just not the same. I want to feel the book in my hands when I'm reading. I don't care what people think if I'm reading a chicklit, classic or Harry Potter, because honestly, I'm reading for myself, not for other people!

No, I don't think I will be purchasing an eReader anytime soon. As said above, if it was a gift, I would be happy to play with it, but other than that, not so much. It's too expensive and the books I'd like to read are only € 2 or so cheaper on the eReader than they are in the paper version, so I'd have to buy a lot of eBooks before I could say I am saving money.

I do want to add that I like the fact that eReaders make people read more and more often! The more readers, the merrier

Old December 24th, 2010, 7:07 pm
Second Year

I'm not a fan. I just like the idea of curling up with a book in bed or somewhere, and not panicking when it starts to flash at you to plug it in to charge it! I don't think that I could ever give up on good old books and libraries. Also, who's going to steal your 6 book, but someone would quite happily steal a Kindle or whatever.

I have a huge crush on Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew mad could look so good?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction