Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it okay to still read books meant for younger audiences as an adult?

Old February 5th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Is it okay to still read books meant for younger audiences as an adult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMash View Post
Well, what about the Disney movies? They're supposed to be for young kids but they have lots of subtle jokes or double entendres and things in them that are amusing for adults but would go right over a kid's head
Agreed there. I don't mind watching some of them every now and then myself.

Also, any of the books by Disney either. Just as long as a person enjoys reading them themselves, it shouldn't matter how old they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
Well, if adults read books that were clearly prompted to adults, what would they be reading; Some psychological 'thiller' in first person that is too confusing and annoying to understand, some pathetic romance, some dry-cut mystery? Maybe, if they're lucky, they'll come across a story from a different culture or country and have a ball.

The thing is, children and YA books are just more open to anything. They take the standard cloth and rip it up, and do their own thing. That's why some of them standout so much.
So true. I've read my share of books -- 'adult' ones (like ones by John Grisham), that just don't make any real sense to me. And a lot of their language sails right over my head. I don't mind reading them (more adult ones) every so often, but my brain can only take so much . So in the end, reading a YA book every so often helps to lighten the load some what.

Like you said, they seem to be more open to anything... and in the end that's why they standout as much as they do. I've been looking for some good ones as of late, and found a few, but I haven't settled on one lately though, due to real life getting in the way in part...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; February 5th, 2010 at 7:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:20 pm
First Year

It's absolutely nothing compared to my mother who steals my teenage magazines and read them.

Honesty. Kindness. Tolerance. Respect. Determination. Ambitious.

WHO DON'T LIKE A HUFFLEPUFF?
Old May 13th, 2010, 4:40 pm
First Year

im 28 and i still read books meant for a much younger set.

i still read the princess diaries series, i just read the Mrs. piggle wiggle books to my neice. i think i enjoyed it almost more than she did. i like going to the library and finding books that i read when i was in school and rereading them. i can still remember a lot of the stuff that happened. even thought the last time i read them was 18 years ago.

i found a book called the pushcart war at the library a few years ago. i fell in love with it in 5th grade. its still just as cute now. and the sweet valley twins book series. of course theres like 8 different series of books about those characters. ive read something from just about all of them i think. even the newer ones. i found a series that my ex-boyfriend read all the time when he was a kid. i got them for him as a surprise gift. his face lit up when he saw them and the memories came flooding back.

it can be good for the soul to read the things you used to read when you were a kid. it was an innocent time. it reminds you of how much simpler things were back then. i know it makes me feel better when ive had a hard day.

Old May 13th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I think it's great to read books meant for younger kids as an adult - especially if you have kids. It reminds you a bit of what it's like to be a kid, and what kind of problems kids face and how much of their world is affected by them. I love reading my kids stories because sometimes it's just nice to get away from the drama that tends to come with age.
I can't wait until my kids are just a little older and I can start sharing some of my favorite stories with them.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old May 13th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

If you're going to write for a certain audience then I think you should read books for that audience. If you have kids then it's a good idea for you to read books for their age/reading level. I've said it before and I'll say it again I think children's books are imaginative than those meant for older audiences.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old May 13th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Third Year

Some of my favorite books are pictures books, actually. I have an excuse, as I teach first grade and so read many. many books as part of my job. I'm continually in awe of how a talented writer can introduce so many complex themes with so few words. Of course illustrators play a big role in this as well. But as others have said, a good story is a good story, no matter who the potential audience is.

And there's magic in reading a great story aloud. I regularly ask my grown children to let me read them one of my favorite picture books. I think my kids genuinely enjoy it.

Occasionally, though I am just not able to make it through a YA book. Either it doesn't hold my interest or it seems to be written very poorly. I tried the Twilight series, for example, which my daughter and daughter-in-law love, but couldn't get past the first few chapters. But then, I've given up on a fair number of adult books, too. Life's too short to read crappy literature, not when there's tons of great stuff out there.

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
Occasionally, though I am just not able to make it through a YA book. Either it doesn't hold my interest or it seems to be written very poorly. I tried the Twilight series, for example, which my daughter and daughter-in-law love, but couldn't get past the first few chapters. But then, I've given up on a fair number of adult books, too. Life's too short to read crappy literature, not when there's tons of great stuff out there.
That's me as well. I'm up to around page 100 or so in Twilight and I haven't sat back down to read more of it for quite awhile. It just doesn't grab me in -- like other YA stories do.

Seconded .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old May 14th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Fourth Year

I hope so or else my book collection would be a hell of a lot smaller than it is! I have both sets of HP books, Artemis Fowl series (as well as other Eoin Colfer books), The Inheritence Cycle, Narnia, Darren Shan books etc. All of which IMO, can be enjoyed by adults and children equally .

Old May 15th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheknife View Post
I hope so or else my book collection would be a hell of a lot smaller than it is! I have both sets of HP books, Artemis Fowl series (as well as other Eoin Colfer books), The Inheritence Cycle, Narnia, Darren Shan books etc. All of which IMO, can be enjoyed by adults and children equally .
Same here ! A lot of my favorite books are ones from my own childhood. They're part of what makes me who I am today.

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Sixth Year

Definately I reread several books from my childhood and still enjoy them. Like the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine, Holes by Louis Sachar, The Chronicles of Narnis by C.S. Lewis, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, and many more.

As for His Dark Materials, I would definately say the books are not aimed at a younger audience.

Old May 25th, 2010, 4:54 am
Sixth Year

Sure. Some old people read Twilight.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old May 27th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Second Year

OF COURSE! I read all the Potter series and now am branching into many other series like Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series, (psyched the new book just came out). As long as it entertains you, do what you like, (as long as you like like an Adult in the real world hehehe)

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzardree View Post
OF COURSE! I read all the Potter series and now am branching into many other series like Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series, (psyched the new book just came out). As long as it entertains you, do what you like, (as long as you like like an Adult in the real world hehehe)
Yep, I'm in the middle of rereading the HP series right now, since I had such fun reading it the first time around .

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yep, I'm in the middle of rereading the HP series right now, since I had such fun reading it the first time around .
Nice, I may have to do that when I am finished with The Necromancer.

Hey, when you're done with Harry, I would take a look at the first Nicholas Flamel book, the Alchemyst....you might remember Flamel from the Sorcerer's Stone.

Last edited by Wizzzardree; May 28th, 2010 at 11:33 pm.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Nice, I may have to do that when I am finished with The Necromancer.

Hey, when you're done with Harry, I would take a look at the first Nicholas Flamel book, the Alchemyst....you might remember Flamel from the Sorcerer's Stone.
Cool, and thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to do that sometime. After I'm done reading the Odd Thomas series . It's really good.

Old June 7th, 2010, 11:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Cool, and thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to do that sometime. After I'm done reading the Odd Thomas series . It's really good.
Very cool, and if you are looking to possibly score a free copy, I was searching for reviews (which have been good) http://mindingspot.blogspot.com/2010...-immortal.html and this blog seems to be giving out a free copy of the newest book, I wish I would have seen this before I bought it (although, I would have had to wait for the book, arg)

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Very cool, and if you are looking to possibly score a free copy, I was searching for reviews (which have been good) http://mindingspot.blogspot.com/2010...-immortal.html and this blog seems to be giving out a free copy of the newest book, I wish I would have seen this before I bought it (although, I would have had to wait for the book, arg)
Awesome Wizzardree, thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out sometime .

Yep... and it's (The Odd Thomas series) another good series that I'd recommend people to check out. Pretty good writing and pacing along with a main character who has a good sense of humor .

Old June 10th, 2010, 7:05 am
Curse Breaker

Koontz does have a knack. The Odd Thomas books are very good, but they're also very sad. Additionally, tough to figure out what sort of plot Odd could foil next. They don't get much bigger than the plot from that fourth book. Plus, he's now ostracized from Pico Mundo, the chief, Little Ozzie and those residents other than Brownen who kept him anchored in this world. Soon, he'll just up and shove off for Service.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old June 11th, 2010, 1:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Awesome Wizzardree, thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out sometime .

Yep... and it's (The Odd Thomas series) another good series that I'd recommend people to check out. Pretty good writing and pacing along with a main character who has a good sense of humor .
Thanks for the tip, back I will have to check out this series for sure! What do you like about the series?

Old June 11th, 2010, 3:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Why wouldn´t it be ok?
it depends wether you like it or not.
I myself read them all the time. As a teacher of emerging readers it enables me to provide insight into books my students might be intersted.
As a mother it gives me topics to discuss with my little girls and we share special moments and bond every time we read a good book together.
As myself , I love stories for kids. I am still a kid at heart.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction