Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it okay to still read books meant for younger audiences as an adult?

Old June 17th, 2009, 1:05 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Is it okay to still read books meant for younger audiences as an adult?

I think that reading books for younger audiences, aka children's books or young adult books, should not be the only thing you read, but yes, it is absolutely fine to read them. If we didn't we would be ignoring some great literature out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madwoman View Post
Well, reading books aimed for younger people is WAY better than being a tween and reading PWP stuff just to be 'adult'. 'Nuff said.
I totally agree with this! In middle school a bunch of girls would read some boring adult romance junk just because it was a higher reading level. They thought it made them look cool. No matter what the reading level stuff like that is going to rot your brain.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2009, 1:26 am
First Year

Yea, why not its a book someone has to read it, and you can do whatever that makes you happy . (Does that even make sense?)

Gryffindor
Old June 29th, 2009, 4:10 am
Second Year

Absolutely.

I love going back to "kids" books like The Giver.

And I do read some teen lit from time-to-time- recently I've been reading Maureen Johnson's books, though mainly because I love her blog.....and figured I should probably read her books. I find reading teen/kid lit is a great way to unwind from the stress of school, and I usually have three or four books going at once, usually one of which is aimed at kids or teens.

Another GREAT teen book that came out recently was Little Brother by Cory Docotrow. Amazing book that adults should read too!

Old June 29th, 2009, 4:17 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperboard View Post
Yea, why not its a book someone has to read it, and you can do whatever that makes you happy . (Does that even make sense?)
Makes sense to me

I have read my fair share of childrens books, they take me back to when I was young So I like to re-read books like "The Hungry Caterpillar" and "Possum Magic".

Old July 3rd, 2009, 6:41 am
First Year

On the very top of my book shelf is Dr. Seuss' "Oh the Places You'll Go." It is my favourite book even though it was written with a child in mind. But that's why it's special, because this book brings me back to when I thought anything was possible, and nothing could convince me otherwise. And as you grow older you need reminding of that. So every now and again I take it down and read it and it brings about a simpler time. This is true of "teen" novels, they bring back that feeling of a first love, not a heart that might be jaded by hurt. Or remind you of the friendships that can withstand anything cause a magical pair of pants that reminds them of their common link. And we all need reminding of that every now and again. So I say I don't care if you're 99, you should have the right to read the book that makes you happy.

"I never really gave up on you. Not really. I always hoped ... Hermione told me to get on with life, maybe go out with some other people, relax a bit around you, because I never used to be able to talk if you were in the room, remember? And she thought you might take a bit more notice if I was a bit more - myself."
- Ginny Weasley
Old July 3rd, 2009, 3:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I think that reading books for younger audiences, aka children's books or young adult books, should not be the only thing you read, but yes, it is absolutely fine to read them. If we didn't we would be ignoring some great literature out there.
I wholeheartedly agree. I love going back to Peter Pan and all those books I read when I was younger. But they are not the only books I read. I read fact and fiction, adult style also But sometimes books aimed at younger people are much more fun and *** writing style is also much richer.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old July 3rd, 2009, 7:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

I see no problems with it, there are some great books out there aimed at younger readers, and to dismiss them just because you're an adult would mean you missed out. I do mainly read adult books but I have some favourites which are aimed at younger readers. I must admit I don't tend to look at the young readers section (except maybe the top 10 which they put on the ground floor in Waterstones) unless I've had a recommendation or am looking for a specific book or author, so maybe I miss out too.

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:54 pm
Second Year

I don't see any problem with it. Especially if it's a favorite from when you were young. It's sort of a way to bring back those childhood memories. Plus it is better than reading nothing at all right?

Oh, know the perils, read the signs,The warning history shows, For our Hogwarts is in danger From external, deadly foes. And we must unite inside her Or we'll crumble from within I have told you, I have warned you. . . (Sorting Hat)
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:01 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Yep .

I used to read 'Miss Nelson is Missing' quite a bit as a teen... because it made me laugh... and it was one of my favorite books as a kid- - not to mention that one of my old teachers dressed up as Miss Viola Swamp and scared the baloney out of all of us . So I guess that book was a good one overall.

Also, I used to love to read the 'Wayside School' series by Louis Sachar. Man that series had me laughing my butt off. It's just so random . And I love randomness...

So... to answer the question... I find nothing wrong with reading books that I loved as a kid .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 18th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Fourth Year

Of course it's okay! How could I say anything else, my highest wish for Christmas 2008 was a fairytale book! I read Artemis Fowl, Roald Dahl's books, fairytales, etc, and I love them all! When I am tired of all these heavy (in more than one sense) books I like to read, or am too exhausted to read much, I pick up a Roald Dahl book I loved when I was 8, or read a fairytale I remember from when I was little. Though I'm often considered too old for Harry Potter, or fantasy/science fiction at all (mostly by people about my own age who think they are very grown-up and therefore do not read things like this, and look down at everyone who do), I still persuaded my parents to read Harry Potter, I still recommend Artemis Fowl and the like to everyone who like fantasy/science fiction, I still read fairytales with my brother (he's five years old) because I want to enjoy them with someone who loves them as much as I do.

If I ever stop reading books meant for younger audiences, please tell me I'm being childish, and show me this thread.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old August 5th, 2009, 2:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
If I ever stop reading books meant for younger audiences, please tell me I'm being childish, and show me this thread.
Morning_star-If you think you are childish I think there are many childs here.Because last week I took my brother's 3 class English book and started reading it.
I still love reading Enid Blyton.

"I like a quiet life, you know me."
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:19 am
Second Year

Yes, absolutely! Isn't that part of the allure of fantasy fiction, that it taps into our more imaginative, "childish" side? My sister in law is all about the new series my niece is into, the Fairy Godmother Academy, and I love Michael Scott's Alchemyst series, so I say, YA or not, read away!

Old August 7th, 2009, 7:31 am
Sixth Year

I don't understand the question. You read what you like and what you want to read. If someone doesn't like, the worst for him. I see nothing wrong in keeping reading the books that made you happy as a child. On the contrary,I think it is a way of not forgetting your background.

Old August 7th, 2009, 8:00 am
First Year

Is it okay to still read books meant for younger audiences as an adult?

NO! Now we should all vacate..... kidding of course.

As an adult, I must admit that I could not read some / most children's books (perhaps when I have children of my own), because they are just too banal. However, those with rich worlds and flowing action to them (like the HP series) are a fantastic escape from the mind numbing case law and mire of human failings I normally have to read. In fact, I prefer the audiobooks.................... then its not like work at all....lol! For me, the only problem with quality young adult fiction is there is not enough! I NEED A FIX!

Oh, and "Morning_Star" I second your "Fowl" recommendations! I really enjoyed Colfer's series.

P
r O x Y

Last edited by PrOxY; August 7th, 2009 at 8:04 am.
Old August 7th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Goodness, I hope so (glances at age), otherwise I am seriously in the wrong place.

Old August 7th, 2009, 9:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
Goodness, I hope so (glances at age), otherwise I am seriously in the wrong place.
Yea. It's generally pretty narrow minded of people to say that someone would be too old to read something. If you like it -- then I say, go right on ahead and read it -- if it makes you laugh and smile... so be it as to what other people think about it .

#1 Rocky and Bullwinkle fan!!
Old August 10th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Second Year

Of course it's ok x-D i still read Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton & Jacqueline Wilson. I was thinking of re-reading The Story of Tracy Beaker because it was on tv earlier today and i thought "i have to read that book again"!

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Second Year

Defiantly. I still re-read the Point Horror series and I must admit that some of them are fabulous!
And James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is my all time favourite!

I could say 'I love you' - and I do. You're the only one I want - now and forever. The only future I want lies with you...
Take my heart with you. It follows you ... Always
I love a good romance, me

"...and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Old August 13th, 2009, 7:10 am
Sixth Year

The funny thing about Dahl is that even his children books have a tasty touch of irony (sometimes even cruelty) that make you appreciate them even more when you're older. Compare the fate of the four looser children in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Matilda's refined revenges with, for instance, the hiper-hormoned but insipid writing of Twilight.

Old August 14th, 2009, 1:25 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
The funny thing about Dahl is that even his children books have a tasty touch of irony (sometimes even cruelty) that make you appreciate them even more when you're older. Compare the fate of the four looser children in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Matilda's refined revenges with, for instance, the hiper-hormoned but insipid writing of Twilight.
Seconded there on that. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one twisted book and movie. By comparison to Twilight... that book doesn't even make me think very much and I don't even get into it nearly as much. It just doesn't capture me in the same way.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction