Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Hunger Games



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old July 16th, 2010, 4:58 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4564 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
Yes, that sounds right. At the end of the first book when Katniss and Peeta have to re-watch the games Katniss mentions that "some are triumphant, pumping their fists in the air, beating their chests." I think it's likely that the ones who do that are careers and shows their lack of morality as they're proud to have won and killed at least another child (because they are really - at 18 you don't have that much life experience).
I think this is one of the saddest aspects to it. It reminds me a bit of say certain teen actors/singers/athletes who are molded into wanting fame or the Gold from very young ages. Parents or mentors pushing them to be the best - they often have issues with it later on. The fame is too much, they think they can do anything... There is often a missing sense of morality.

Quote:
I thought it was interesting that the victors are haunted by their time in the arena. I hadn't really thought about the way the Games affected them once they got out and I guess that that could be one of the reasons why the other victors joined the rebellion in CF - because they know how horrible it is in the arena and how it haunts them afterwards.
Yes, I love that you made that connections. It wasn't only for their districts, it was for all the future tributes too.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:30 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
So here's a question for all of you: Both books have a fair amount of manipulation going on. The capitol manipulating the districts, the gamemakers manipulating the tributes, Peeta and Haymitch manipulating Katniss (albeit in very different ways).

What do you think of all this - is one type of manipulation better because of the outcome (for example: Peeta's public announcement of love for Katniss vs. Pres. Snow making Katniss live a charade even though he knows it is pointless) or are they the same?
I find Peeta's manipulation more understandable, he's trying to protect someone he loves in a truly horrific situation.

I find the actions of the Gamemakers and the Capitol far worse - part of their manipulation involves sending children to their deaths every year to "keep people in line". I think the u-turn with the rule change is a particularly nasty bit of manipulation in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
I know that I don't like the manipulation that the Capitol does. Peeta, I think that he's trying to do whatever it takes to keep Katniss alive and safe. Even manipulating her. But I think his manipulation is more that he is manipulating the public than he is her.
That's it, and he's manipulating a shallow Capitol public, to keep Katniss and himself alive, whereas the Capitol manipulates downtrodden citizens to maintain its own dictatorship. It manipulates kids into murdering each other for entertainment - that is genuinely disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
I wish this series had Twilight's fame instead. It's geared towards young adults (I presume) but has the same mass appeal that HP has. In addition, it has some political and moral undertones that make the reader actually think. Such an intelligent, gripping story deserves more recognition.
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I couldn't agree more. The Hunger Games has so much depth to it, with such an original concept. That the author was combining Roman history with reality shows like Survivor is pretty genius to me.
It's a great concept, yeah. And there's Greek mythology, too, for good measure. Wasn't the story of the young people of Athens selected by lot to be sent to the Minotaur every year was one of Collins' inspirations?

Quote:
How does the fact that the tributes are always on camera affect their behavior from the time they are chosen? Does it make it easier or harder for them to accept their fate? How are the "career tributes" different from the others?
I think they are going to be consciously aware of the cameras, as Katniss is, possibly wondering how their actions are going to seem to their families, to potential sponsors. I think it's a big worry for the tributes that their families will have to watch them die - Katniss was motivated by not wanting Prim to see her killed slowly by an angry Cato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
The careers. Well, it's like these kids were trained from birth to be tributes. Almost as if they are the "extra" kid and needs to be done away with and this way they can make their families proud. Also it seems like the districts with the careers are sorta like how the old Soviet Union would train potential Olympic athletes to be experts in one sport.
I think that's an interesting analogy. Kids who were seen as athletic or physically strong may have been chosen to be trained. It seems all of this is done unofficially though, as the rules don't allow training pre-Games, but everyone knows it happens in those districts.

It's also a perpetuating cycle - the Career districts are going to have a wider selection of mentors, sponsors are going to be more willing to back a Career, kids will have grown up seeing the wealth of the victors as motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
This is a really good point. I wonder if they are just raised in such a dysfunctional way that they don't see killing as doing anything wrong. Like it's ok to make friends and allies but when it comes down to it, go for the kill. I think they would actually be encouraged to make friends and allies so that they can get to know their prey better.
I think so - if people raise their kids to think volunteering as a tribute is an honour, their upbringing is seriously dysfunctional.

For victors who have children, I wonder if they have the same suspicion as Katniss, that it's rigged for dramatic value that sons and daughters of past victors are selected. That may be a factor for some of the families, but it seems there's stiff competition to be a tribute in those districts, so it's not all family tradition.

Quote:
It also reminds me about how Haymitch, Peeta and Katniss never really get over what the do and see in the arena. I have a suspicion that the Careers have a better time of adjusting to their role in the carnage.
A lot of the victors shown in CF seem to have had trouble adjusting -the morphlings, Johanna, Haymitch. That's the kind of experience that people would find incredibly hard to deal with afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I thought it was interesting that the victors are haunted by their time in the arena. I hadn't really thought about the way the Games affected them once they got out and I guess that that could be one of the reasons why the other victors joined the rebellion in CF - because they know how horrible it is in the arena and how it haunts them afterwards.
That may be a strong reason for the victors' participation. I think they felt the same anger Katniss and Peeta did at being used as pawns by the Capitol.
I think they had the opportunity to do so as the victors seem to be the only people in the districts (apart from the Mayor, it seems) who can communicate with people from other districts. It's interesting that one of the Districts involved in the rebellion was 4, one of the Career Districts - Finnick and Mags, I think.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; July 16th, 2010 at 10:39 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old July 17th, 2010, 5:14 am
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4419 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 40
Posts: 489
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
It's interesting that one of the Districts involved in the rebellion was 4, one of the Career Districts - Finnick and Mags, I think.
True. Another thought into why the victors were taking part of the rebellion is that they saw and understood Katniss's need to honor Rue like she did. And her "small" act of rebellion of covering her with flowers probably touched the humanity of some of the victors. Even the former Careers.


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old July 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm
gelowo93's Avatar
gelowo93  Female.gif gelowo93 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2892 days
Location: England
Age: 24
Posts: 660
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Even the former Careers.
I can't remember off the top of my head which Districts the victors who joined the rebellion were from, but Finnick and Mags came from 4 and I never imagined that district to be as "high up" as 1 and 2 because isn't their industry fishing? It doesn't really compare to District 1's jewel making (I think) IMO.

I've been re-reading the series trying to spot things that might play a larger part in Mockingjay, and I couldn't help noticing how Katniss describes Rue as being very similar to Prim - this is pure speculation but the way Rue's death is described and Katniss's reaction to it could be foreshadowing Prim's death That, and the fact that soon after Katniss goes looking for Peeta, made me think that maybe the first Games that Katniss was in could represent the last book in a way, because I think it's likely that Katniss will go looking for Peeta in Mockingjay


__________________
Slytherpuff

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old July 17th, 2010, 8:31 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
True. Another thought into why the victors were taking part of the rebellion is that they saw and understood Katniss's need to honor Rue like she did. And her "small" act of rebellion of covering her with flowers probably touched the humanity of some of the victors. Even the former Careers.
I think it possibly had an effect on some of them. However, it seems there were plans for a rebellion even before Katniss -Plutarch Heavensbee and his undercover group had been planning something for years. But I do think Katniss' acts of rebellion had an impact -it's odd that President Snow, and even Katniss herself, consider the poisoned berry stunt to be the spark that set things off. In a way, it was, and it was the major one. However, I agree, her farewell to Rue was a less obvious, but no less emotional act of rebellion. And although it was out of protective instinct, and not rebellion, volunteering in Prim's place was another act of rebellion that got people thinking, imo. As tribute more or less means corpse in District 12, volunteering in place of a loved one was very much saying that no, this isn't an honour, it's horrific, but volunteering is better than the alternative. I think it's a combination of these factors that make Katniss the symbol for the revolution. As well as the timing - considering a revolution was planned.

Is it possible that the Capitol knew some of the victors were up to something and that the Quarter Quell was as much about getting rid of them as it was about getting rid of the symbol of the rebellion?

As for Finnick, I think perhaps the effect of the Games on his love, Annie, may have been one of the factors in turning him against the Capitol. Though we never meet her, she's another example of a victor who was irreparably harmed by the Games.

I wonder what caused Cinna to become part of the rebellion? He's from the Capitol, it seems, so he may not have ever personally known the loss and hurt caused by the Games to the families involved, or the other hardships of the people in the Districts. What prompted him to risk everything with the Mockingjay dress?


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; July 17th, 2010 at 8:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old July 17th, 2010, 8:53 pm
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4419 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 40
Posts: 489
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
I wonder what caused Cinna to become part of the rebellion? He's from the Capitol, it seems, so he may not have ever personally known the loss and hurt caused by the Games to the families involved, or the other hardships of the people in the Districts. What prompted him to risk everything with the Mockingjay dress?
Another thought is what prompted him, with his talents, to request District 12?


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old July 17th, 2010, 9:20 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Another thought is what prompted him, with his talents, to request District 12?
I wonder if we'll find out, especially when he made it clear that he had requested that District. It's possible he was either involved with the rebellion, or more likely, disillusioned with the Captiol - maybe the red-haired Avox girl was somebody he knew? Didn't she seem to have a "Capitol appearance" about her when she was captured in the woods? Or any Avox from the Capitol, really.

That gets me to thinking what would someone from the privileged Capitol have done to merit that punishment? They're considered traitors, which was why Darius met that fate. Is it possible she and her companion in the woods discovered something they shouldn't have known?

But back to Cinna: if he requested 12 before the Reaping, perhaps it was something to do with wanting to make the "Cannon Fodder" district more noticeable, more sympathetic. If it was after the Reaping, perhaps Katniss' act of rebellion stirred something in him -reminded him of something he believes he could or should have done. But then, he would have had no way of knowing if he would be assigned to the male or female tribute. If he was involved in the plans against the Capitol, it may have been suggested to him that this was something they could work with.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; July 17th, 2010 at 9:23 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old July 18th, 2010, 7:49 pm
gelowo93's Avatar
gelowo93  Female.gif gelowo93 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2892 days
Location: England
Age: 24
Posts: 660
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Another thought is what prompted him, with his talents, to request District 12?
It's possible that Cinna was involved with the same underground rebellion as Plutarch Heavensbee. When we first see Cinna, Katniss describes him as not being what she expected as someone who was from the Capitol, so it is possible that, as FurryDice said, he was disillusioned with it and joined the rebellion. That could also be why he requested District 12 - we see how the other Districts have stricter security so the rebellion might have targeted District 12 as being the most likely to have someone who was willing to stand up to the Capitol i.e. Katniss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
That gets me to thinking what would someone from the privileged Capitol have done to merit that punishment? They're considered traitors, which was why Darius met that fate. Is it possible she and her companion in the woods discovered something they shouldn't have known?
I assumed that they had been part of the underground rebellion and had been discovered, although if that was right they probably would have just been killed. So I quite like your idea that they'd found out something that the Capitol was hiding - maybe they discovered that District 13 still existed, they were part of the rebellion and were on the run trying to get to it? I'm guessing that it's somewhere near District 12 as Bonnie and Twill were heading there as well


__________________
Slytherpuff

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old July 19th, 2010, 3:23 am
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I can't remember off the top of my head which Districts the victors who joined the rebellion were from, but Finnick and Mags came from 4 and I never imagined that district to be as "high up" as 1 and 2 because isn't their industry fishing? It doesn't really compare to District 1's jewel making (I think) IMO.
District 4 is considered one of the Career Districts- they're in the Career Pack, and it's commented on a few times that they're a Career District. I suppose it's odd, as fishing isn't one of the more glamorous industries -but it does lend itself to athletic competitors -people who can swim from a young age, and also who can use nets, weapons, etc. I suppose 1 and 2, referred to as the Capitol's "lapdogs", are Careers because they're treated better than other districts (they're more well fed, so will be better able to build up their strength) and District 4 have plenty of opportunity to train.

Quote:
I've been re-reading the series trying to spot things that might play a larger part in Mockingjay, and I couldn't help noticing how Katniss describes Rue as being very similar to Prim - this is pure speculation but the way Rue's death is described and Katniss's reaction to it could be foreshadowing Prim's death That, and the fact that soon after Katniss goes looking for Peeta, made me think that maybe the first Games that Katniss was in could represent the last book in a way, because I think it's likely that Katniss will go looking for Peeta in Mockingjay
I don't know if Prim will die - I think it might be a bit repetitive, story-wise for two younger girls to die -especially two girls Katniss sees as very similar. However, Prim seems to grow a lot stronger in CF, with her experiences helping the casualties of the new Peacekeepers.

I think Katniss will want to get away, to find Peeta. She will have a lot of difficulty getting away though - nobody is going to want to let the symbol of hope for the revolution put herself in that kind of danger -rescuing Peeta would mean going to the Capitol itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
It's possible that Cinna was involved with the same underground rebellion as Plutarch Heavensbee. When we first see Cinna, Katniss describes him as not being what she expected as someone who was from the Capitol, so it is possible that, as FurryDice said, he was disillusioned with it and joined the rebellion.
If Cinna was a part of the revolutionary group, do you believe his stunt with the dress was under their orders, or something off his own bat? Or is he disillusioned and acting against the Capitol, unaware of the rebellion that's being planned?

Quote:
That could also be why he requested District 12 - we see how the other Districts have stricter security so the rebellion might have targeted District 12 as being the most likely to have someone who was willing to stand up to the Capitol i.e. Katniss.
Maybe, yet District 12 haven't got a good track record in the Games, either. Someone who's willing to defy the Capitol won't be of much use if they're killed at the Cornucopia. Unless he wants to create a memorable martyr.

Quote:
I assumed that they had been part of the underground rebellion and had been discovered, although if that was right they probably would have just been killed. So I quite like your idea that they'd found out something that the Capitol was hiding - maybe they discovered that District 13 still existed, they were part of the rebellion and were on the run trying to get to it? I'm guessing that it's somewhere near District 12 as Bonnie and Twill were heading there as well
I had that idea as well - seeing as Bonnie and Twill were in that area. But, if District 13 is near District 12, why was 12 the least stringently controlled district until CF? District 12 is on the fringes of Panem, it seems, and would likely be the nearest to 13, so it doesn't make sense not to better secure the border.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; July 19th, 2010 at 3:39 am.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old July 19th, 2010, 4:51 pm
gelowo93's Avatar
gelowo93  Female.gif gelowo93 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2892 days
Location: England
Age: 24
Posts: 660
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
If Cinna was a part of the revolutionary group, do you believe his stunt with the dress was under their orders, or something off his own bat? Or is he disillusioned and acting against the Capitol, unaware of the rebellion that's being planned?
I think all of the options you've mentioned are possible, we won't find out until we find out more about the rebellion, though. But if he was part of the rebellion I think it's more likely that his stunt with the dress was under orders - or at least known about - because it wouldn't be very good to have Cinna doing whatever he wanted as it could risk them being discovered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I had that idea as well - seeing as Bonnie and Twill were in that area. But, if District 13 is near District 12, why was 12 the least stringently controlled district until CF? District 12 is on the fringes of Panem, it seems, and would likely be the nearest to 13, so it doesn't make sense not to better secure the border.
I don't know, maybe because it's cold up there they don't expect anyone to survive long? I don't know squat about where places are in North America so I looked up where the rockies are (I think Katniss mentions that District 12 is near them) and the only thing past them seems to be Alaska, and I'm pretty sure it's cold there But you're right - if District 13 is near 12 then it doesn't make sense why the Capitol don't make sure that 12 is secure


__________________
Slytherpuff

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:27 am
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I think all of the options you've mentioned are possible, we won't find out until we find out more about the rebellion, though. But if he was part of the rebellion I think it's more likely that his stunt with the dress was under orders - or at least known about - because it wouldn't be very good to have Cinna doing whatever he wanted as it could risk them being discovered.
Yeah, we'll have to wait for Mockingjay to find out. I don't see why the rebellion would order him to do that though -they would risk information being tortured out of him after that display of defiance. I think it's more likely he was disillusioned with the Capitol for some reason, but not involved in the revolutionary group. I find it interesting that even though he's a stylist, he doesn't have the same over-the-top body decoration as his team, or Capitol citizens in general.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe because it's cold up there they don't expect anyone to survive long? I don't know squat about where places are in North America so I looked up where the rockies are (I think Katniss mentions that District 12 is near them) and the only thing past them seems to be Alaska, and I'm pretty sure it's cold there But you're right - if District 13 is near 12 then it doesn't make sense why the Capitol don't make sure that 12 is secure

I think the Capitol was in the Rockies, and District 12 in the Appalachians. There are no mountains mentioned as part of Twelve, though, so perhaps they're in the foothills, or a distance away from the mountains. Thirteen could be on the other side of the mountains, so not easy to access on foot.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old July 20th, 2010, 3:06 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4564 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice
If Cinna was a part of the revolutionary group, do you believe his stunt with the dress was under their orders, or something off his own bat? Or is he disillusioned and acting against the Capitol, unaware of the rebellion that's being planned?
Cinna, Cinna, Cinna I hope we get to see more of him.
I think that he's rebelling on his own. I say this because 1. his dress/style. He doesn't do all the outlandish things that the others do like dying his hair and skin. He rebells in that way already saying my own natural look is style enough. I get the sense that he is from another district initially and perhaps the Capitol recruited him when he was young because they saw his talent. Or he's just plain old sick of the Games and wanted to do his part to 'change it up' by taking the weakest competitors and making them shine.

I also find his character as a commentary on wealth in general. There are the McMansion types to the Donald Trump types where people try to display their wealth for all to envy. Then there are those who have a lot of money, keep quiet about it and actually do good things by it - like set up charities and funds. I think it wan't an accident that Octavia and Flavius are so overly gaudy while Cinna is elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice
District 4 is considered one of the Career Districts- they're in the Career Pack, and it's commented on a few times that they're a Career District. I suppose it's odd, as fishing isn't one of the more glamorous industries -but it does lend itself to athletic competitors -people who can swim from a young age, and also who can use nets, weapons, etc.
I think they are careers because they can be. They can 'train' without it seeming like training. It might be more that they are skilled competitors and not so much the volunteering to jump in type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I don't know, maybe because it's cold up there they don't expect anyone to survive long? I don't know squat about where places are in North America so I looked up where the rockies are (I think Katniss mentions that District 12 is near them) and the only thing past them seems to be Alaska, and I'm pretty sure it's cold there But you're right - if District 13 is near 12 then it doesn't make sense why the Capitol don't make sure that 12 is secure
I think it has been implied that District 13 is past 12, or at least you have to get through 12 to get to 13. I say this because of Bonnie and Twill and because of the Red haired Avox and the person she was running away with. I feel that they may have been headed for 13 also. District 12 is more in the South Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky area, as that is where there are coal mines in the US.

This map of Appalachia shows the eastern coast of the us:
appalachia map:    


    



Suzanne Collins has said that the districts aren't in numerical order, but I get the sense that they are numbered in order of value (1 being the precious metals and jewels).

Also since most of the coasts of the US were supposed to have been taken out by flooding and other forms of destructions, I think that New England and Florida may not exist in Panem. I think the upper part of New York State would be a candidate for district 13. I think that she may have the textiles coming from the South where we historically had cotton plantations in Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama area. That would have Bonnie and Twill moving from the South through Appalachia heading towards the North to District 12.

I get the sense that District 11 (agriculture) is in the Mid-West - the Ohio and west area (on the map, the states to the left of Ohio) because all the way to Iowa is where a lot of farm land is currently.

I don't think geography is really going to play any part in Mockingjay, but I like to try to figure out how she mapped it out.


__________________
is totally awesome!

Last edited by HMN; July 20th, 2010 at 3:26 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old July 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm
gelowo93's Avatar
gelowo93  Female.gif gelowo93 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2892 days
Location: England
Age: 24
Posts: 660
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Yeah, we'll have to wait for Mockingjay to find out. I don't see why the rebellion would order him to do that though -they would risk information being tortured out of him after that display of defiance.
Good point, it's probably more likely that he would have been acting on his own then. I thought he might have been involved because he always seems to be in on Haymitch's plans eg. having Katniss wear the more "girly" dress at the end of HG, and wasn't Haymitch part of the rebellion from the start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think it's more likely he was disillusioned with the Capitol for some reason, but not involved in the revolutionary group. I find it interesting that even though he's a stylist, he doesn't have the same over-the-top body decoration as his team, or Capitol citizens in general.
His lack of over-the-top make up, plastic surgery etc. is what made me think he was disillusioned with the Capitol because that seems to be a defining characteristic of all of the Capitol citizens. Plus, he doesn't put up with the prep team being all emotional in CF, so, as HMN says, he could be from another district - but it would have to be one of the higher up districts, like 1 or 2 for him to have been noticed by the Capitol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I don't think geography is really going to play any part in Mockingjay, but I like to try to figure out how she mapped it out.
I don't either, but I think it would be interesting to find out where she planned all of the districts to be.


__________________
Slytherpuff

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old July 25th, 2010, 6:53 am
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 3894 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 25
Posts: 2,183
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Another thought is what prompted him, with his talents, to request District 12?
Suzanne Collins answered this, actually

Burning Question for Suzanne CollinsQuestion: Is there a reason Cinna picked District 12?

Answer: Many of the other stylists have had claim to other districts for years, and Cinna, being relatively new and unknown, looked to 12 as both a challenge and an opportunity, a district that has been essentially ignored and poorly represented from a fashion and design point of view. He knew he could make the greatest mark there—and with Katniss he finds a willing collaborator.

Source.

If Cinna wasn't interested in the rebellion earlier, then I think he was when he found out about the Quarter Quell, along with majority of others. The Capitol thought it was their last chance at preventing a revolution, but it was the one push that the rebels needed because it convinced the people normally sympathetic to the Capitol to realize that something needed to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I had that idea as well - seeing as Bonnie and Twill were in that area. But, if District 13 is near District 12, why was 12 the least stringently controlled district until CF? District 12 is on the fringes of Panem, it seems, and would likely be the nearest to 13, so it doesn't make sense not to better secure the border.
I think they had been once strict about the borders but once they realized they had successfully made it clear that District 12 would stand no chance by escaping, they loosened the security measures. The Capitol and Peacemakers probably successfully brainwashed District 12 into thinking there was no escape.

Or another possibility is that the security only loosened up when Cray became Head Peacemaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
District 12 is more in the South Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky area, as that is where there are coal mines in the US.
In a reading, Suzanne Collins changed her accent while reading The Hunger Games to a Southern accent. District 12 must be a bit South. This would explain why Katniss was confused by the different accents when she went to the Capitol.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old July 28th, 2010, 5:29 am
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4564 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
If Cinna wasn't interested in the rebellion earlier, then I think he was when he found out about the Quarter Quell, along with majority of others. The Capitol thought it was their last chance at preventing a revolution, but it was the one push that the rebels needed because it convinced the people normally sympathetic to the Capitol to realize that something needed to be changed.
thanks for the answer to that. It seems that he became a bit attached to Katniss and Peeta too. I think that could have caused him to become reckless as well.

Quote:
Or another possibility is that the security only loosened up when Cray became Head Peacemaker.
I recall Katniss explaining that the Peacekeepers were hungry along with everyone else. They wanted the fresh game and berries just as much as the sellers in the market. It seemed to me that D12 was the forgotten district.

Quote:
In a reading, Suzanne Collins changed her accent while reading The Hunger Games to a Southern accent. District 12 must be a bit South. This would explain why Katniss was confused by the different accents when she went to the Capitol.
Yeah, I think it's not quite Mississippi or Alabama southern, but more West Virginia southern.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:30 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4564 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: The Hunger Games

Less than a month until Mockingjay! I thought I'd add another discussion question to the thread.

Why are all citizens of Panem required to watch The Hunger Games on television? How does this affect the people? Why haven't they rebelled earlier against the brutality of the Games? Discuss the effect of television and reality TV in your own life.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:35 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3671 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,591
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
If Cinna wasn't interested in the rebellion earlier, then I think he was when he found out about the Quarter Quell, along with majority of others. The Capitol thought it was their last chance at preventing a revolution, but it was the one push that the rebels needed because it convinced the people normally sympathetic to the Capitol to realize that something needed to be changed.
I think that's a possibility - there were comments to that effect in CF, that the people in the Capitol got attached to their victors. They could watch the deaths of unknown children as a form of entertainment, but seeing people they think they know murdered is a different experience, and probably pushed people in the Capitol to see things differently, at least somewhat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Why are all citizens of Panem required to watch The Hunger Games on television? How does this affect the people? Why haven't they rebelled earlier against the brutality of the Games? Discuss the effect of television and reality TV in your own life.
I think it's likely to be largely for the reason Katniss speculated - to remind people in the Districts how powerless they are against the Capitol. I think the horror of watching loved ones die in that way is a way of keeping the people of the Districts too downtrodden and miserable to oppose them. I think that for a family to be forced to watch their child die in those circumstances, and be helpless to intervene is just terrifying. I think it probably creates a lot of emotional and mental health problems - such as is implied with Madge's mother.

It seems that people are regularly reminded of the official version of what happened to District 13 on television. People may fear the same thing happening to their district if they rebel against the Games. Within a district, many people would need to rise up, if it were to have any effect.
Also, communication between the districts is practically non-existent -there would be little benefit in a district putting themselves in that kind of danger if they were certain to be the only target for destruction. I wonder why more people haven't chosen the path Katniss wants to take - not have children, so they won't be in danger of being sent to the Games.

As for tv, I'll think on that one.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old July 30th, 2010, 5:06 am
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4419 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 40
Posts: 489
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
posted by HMN Why are all citizens of Panem required to watch The Hunger Games on television? How does this affect the people? Why haven't they rebelled earlier against the brutality of the Games? Discuss the effect of television and reality TV in your own life.
I also think it's the Capitol's way of showing the citizens that they (the people) are really not important. And that it is a vivid reminder of how controlling the Capitol is. Almost like the Third Reich.

I think that they've not rebelled sooner because they were afraid. THey didn't see the point. Until Katniss accidently breathed hope into their hearts.

Reality TV and me - well I am a Survivor fan. But I really don't like the backstabbing in it. Give me the Amazing Race any day. Travel and fun challenges without the obvious pitting one against another like Survivor.


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:28 am
Bella_Crucio_U's Avatar
Bella_Crucio_U  Female.gif Bella_Crucio_U is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3566 days
Location: District 12 with Peeta Mellark
Age: 23
Posts: 521
Re: The Hunger Games

Okay remember when I said I though Gale would die saving Katniss in a social group post? Well I have another option. Maybe Gale will end up with Madge? Anyone think of that? So I think he'll either die or end up with Madge. I really hope he doesn't end up with Katniss because they are too good of friends and that's all they are meant to be in my eyes. Sorry for the randomness. Mockingjay in 19 days!!


__________________

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old August 11th, 2010, 3:07 am
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4564 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Crucio_U View Post
Well I have another option. Maybe Gale will end up with Madge?
I have heard people speculate that, and I wouldn't be surprised. One would think that the Mayor's daughter got out ok. I can even see the Mayor and his family helping out with the rebellion.

(ps. I love the new avi! AVPM is totally awesome. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Reality TV and me - well I am a Survivor fan. But I really don't like the backstabbing in it. Give me the Amazing Race any day. Travel and fun challenges without the obvious pitting one against another like Survivor.
I love the Amazing Race. I only like reality shows that are productive - like Project Runway or Top Chef or Amazing Race. I feel like it's more about achieving than just being a personality.

As for the discussion question - I think it's pretty horrifying to have to watch members of your family or your friends try to fight for their lives. And not being able to communicate with them or help in anyway. I mean, I guess the 'sponsoring' of a tribute through the community is one way to help, but some of the districts are so poor that they can't even do that.

I think the capitol was playing with fire by forcing the games to happen every year. I read on a thread on another board someone mentioning that if the games only happened every few years the citizens would become complacent between Games. That they then wouldn't be as hateful of the Capitol. The constant reminder to the district citizens seems a sure fire way of causing rebellion. Which the capitol seems to know because they try to use the result of D13's rebellion as the antidote to the people rising up.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.