Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Hunger Games

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:16 pm
First Year

The Hunger Games

Hello, I just finished reading a book called "The Hunger Games" I noticed that no one on here had it mentioned yet and so I had to make a topic because I think it's a really interssting read, I actually read it twice back to back. If you're a Twilight fan you may have noticed Stephanie Meyers' recomendation of the book on hers site. It's worth the read.

Here's a quick synopisis, It's doesn't give much away in case you do want to read the book sometime:

"COULD YOU SURVIVE ON YOUR OWN, IN THE WILD, WITH EVERYONE FIGHTING AGAINST YOU?
Twenty- four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love

Last edited by Vera; October 2nd, 2008 at 6:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 7:17 pm
First Year

Re: The Hunger Games

I read this book because I saw that Stephenie Meyer had recommended it on her website. And I have to say that I really liked it. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first because it was so unlike anything that I had ever read before, but as I went along with it, I just couldn't put it down. I thought that it was an amazing story.

Spoiler: show
I really liked the love story between Katniss and Peeta. But at the end, when she tells him that she was only pretending so they could survive was heartbreaking because I felt like she was seriously falling for him. It did say End of Book 1, so maybe in the next one, she will realize that her feelings were real. I hope anyway.

I really enjoyed this story. It was very powerful.

Old December 31st, 2008, 6:04 am
Third Year

I just finished it tonight after getting my hands on it this morning! It was absolutely amazing, and I could not put it down!!! We need to get more viewers for the thread! I would recommend it to anyone!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:23 am
First Year

Yeah, I read it cause Steph Meyer said it would be good. and i have to admit, when i started i was like uh this wont be very good, but i got totally hooked! it was awesome. such a thrill ride. I am now eagerly waiting for the next.
I love recommendations by authors you love. They are always good. Here's a heads-up, JK Rowling recommended 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith, and it was sick man. I loved it.

Old July 12th, 2009, 12:56 am
Third Year

I just finished reading it, and it was amazing! The storyline was so unique, I could not put it down! I can't wait for the second one!

I'm hoping that Katniss and Peeta get together in the second one. I felt horrible for him when Katniss told him it was all pretend and he was so crushed.

Old October 1st, 2009, 2:40 am
Sixth Year

I dislike Stephenie Meyer so the fact she recommended it was a deterrent to me, but then someone explained the merit of the novel I thought perhaps it was worth a read. I wasn't disappointed, it was brilliant. It had what so many commercial releases of this nature lack, some actual literary substance and a message as well as compelling characters and an airtight plot. Once the games started I didn't put it down. It was brilliant, so vividly written that it came alive in my head.

I will admit that at first when the announcer told them that two tributes from the same district could win, I was a little annoyed. I felt it cheapened the story, because I imagined the massive inner conflict Katniss would be having about killing Peeta, and it sort of destroyed that idea. But the way it was played out was perfect, it couldn't have been any better.

I love that in the end and the games are won we believe Katniss to finally be safe, then we find that the Capitol are furious with her and that it may in fact be here where her true struggle for survival begins.

Like you, I was devastated when she told Peeta that it had been an act for the cameras. At the beginning of the book I was unsure of his attentions, but then it becomes clear that Peeta is protecting her and genuinely loves Katniss. Her rejection of him was miserable for me, I actually cried because I was so upset for him, he was such a sweet character.

I will definitely be buying Catching Fire as soon as I can lay my hands on it. Also, I read that the rights have been bought by Lionsgate films. I'm not sure how to feel about this, but on the plus side the author will be adapting the novel for film herself, so I think the true essence of the novel will be captured and it may be a decent adaptation.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; October 1st, 2009 at 2:45 am.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 2:15 pm
Sixth Year

Omygosh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hunger Games. Seriously, it's my new Harry Potter. I still love HP, of course. I always will! But since HP's over I'm really happy to have something new to obsess over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
I will admit that at first when the announcer told them that two tributes from the same district could win, I was a little annoyed. I felt it cheapened the story, because I imagined the massive inner conflict Katniss would be having about killing Peeta, and it sort of destroyed that idea. But the way it was played out was perfect, it couldn't have been any better.
I wasn't annoyed at all! I was so glad that she didn't have to kill him. I didn't see them changing the rules back at the end, though. That was a surprise. But I agree, it was perfect the way it played out. Their defiance of the Capitol was the perfect conflict to lead into the next book.

Quote:
I love that in the end and the games are won we believe Katniss to finally be safe, then we find that the Capitol are furious with her and that it may in fact be here where her true struggle for survival begins.
I love that, too. It brings so much suspense; you just have to find out what happens next!
Quote:
Like you, I was devastated when she told Peeta that it had been an act for the cameras. At the beginning of the book I was unsure of his attentions, but then it becomes clear that Peeta is protecting her and genuinely loves Katniss. Her rejection of him was miserable for me, I actually cried because I was so upset for him, he was such a sweet character.
Me too. Peeta all the way!
It was the same way for me. When Peeta told everyone during his interview that he loved Katniss I was like "awwwwwwww!" because I'm a hopless romantic. But I kept having doubts that he was just pretending it all for the games. But he was so sweet, especially in the cave, so I starting figuring out that he wasn't pretending.
I thought it was really sad, too, when he was so heartbroken at the end. It broke my heart too. But I don't think it was all pretend for Katniss. I think she was starting to fall for him during the Games, maybe even before. Before the Games start she realizes, "I have kept track of the boy with the bread," and later during the games she realizes, "I do not want to lose the boy with the bread." I think at the end she's just confused about everything because not all of her feelings for Peeta were pretend.

Quote:
Also, I read that the rights have been bought by Lionsgate films. I'm not sure how to feel about this, but on the plus side the author will be adapting the novel for film herself, so I think the true essence of the novel will be captured and it may be a decent adaptation.
Yep, I am SO excited about this. I think it'll make a great movie, especially since Suzanne herself is writing it. I've been trying to figure out who'd be good for the cast; it's so hard!

I read Catching Fire too and I LOVE IT! It doesn't solve anything, though, it just presents new problems and adds soooooooo much suspense that it's driving me out of my mind! I can't wait for the third book.
Team Peeta all the way.

Old October 26th, 2009, 9:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post

I wasn't annoyed at all! I was so glad that she didn't have to kill him. I didn't see them changing the rules back at the end, though. That was a surprise. But I agree, it was perfect the way it played out. Their defiance of the Capitol was the perfect conflict to lead into the next book.
Don't get me wrong, I was happy she didn't have to kill him, but I thought that it was such a great source of suspense that I was disappointed the announcement ended it. But then it returns again in the best way possible, so I didn't mind in the end, I thought it was a brilliant literary tool.

Quote:
Me too. Peeta all the way!
It was the same way for me. When Peeta told everyone during his interview that he loved Katniss I was like "awwwwwwww!" because I'm a hopless romantic. But I kept having doubts that he was just pretending it all for the games. But he was so sweet, especially in the cave, so I starting figuring out that he wasn't pretending.
I thought it was really sad, too, when he was so heartbroken at the end. It broke my heart too. But I don't think it was all pretend for Katniss. I think she was starting to fall for him during the Games, maybe even before. Before the Games start she realizes, "I have kept track of the boy with the bread," and later during the games she realizes, "I do not want to lose the boy with the bread." I think at the end she's just confused about everything because not all of her feelings for Peeta were pretend.
I reacted in exactly the same way, I wasn't quite sure at first whether it was all an act, but as soon as he told the story about the first time he saw her I knew it was real As for Katniss, I think she she genuinely cares about Peeta, but doesn't love him... the way I interpreted it, by telling Peeta at the end that it was an act, she effectively chose Gale before even knowing if Gale wanted her or not. If he hadn't wanted her then it would have been simple, but since he does in Catching Fire (CF) it makes her even more conflicted. But I'm definitely on Team Peeta I want to know what happened to him at the end of CF so badly.

Quote:
Yep, I am SO excited about this. I think it'll make a great movie, especially since Suzanne herself is writing it. I've been trying to figure out who'd be good for the cast; it's so hard!
Definitely, I'm usually hesitant at the idea of my favourite books being adapted into movies, because my main concern is that it won't capture the essence of the original. But the author herself writing it was a good enough guarantee for me. As for castings, for some reason I keep on finding an actor that I think is perfect for the role, then find out he's English not American. For example, I keep picturing Alex Pettyfer as Peeta. To me, he's perfect. And if he were a bit younger, Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian in Narnia) for Gale. But they're both English. As for Katniss, I saw someone suggest Kristin Stewart somewhere... I sincerely hope the casting directors don't think the same way, to me she doesn't capture Katniss at all. I can't seem to think of a person I'd like to see cast as her.

Quote:
I read Catching Fire too and I LOVE IT! It doesn't solve anything, though, it just presents new problems and adds soooooooo much suspense that it's driving me out of my mind! I can't wait for the third book.
Team Peeta all the way.
I ended up buying CF too. The whole District 13 conspiracy theory of an underground society and the rebellions were my favourite parts, along with Haymitch's time in the arena. The concept of them being thrown back into the arena for the new Quarter Quell was such a cruel twist. But I was so enthused in the rebellion plot, that to me, the arena was a distraction from the part of the story I wanted to know. But it was still a great read, I can't believe we have to wait until next year to find out what happens. I particularly want to know the fate of Peeta, poor guy

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
Old November 29th, 2009, 3:15 am
Third Year

I read Catching Fire forever ago, but I think I can still post about it if I want....

WORST CLIFF HANGER EVER!!!! I am going to die if the third doesn't come out soon! I want to read so bad about the whole District 13 thing and how District 12 was destroyed...it's going to make for a great read! I'm also hoping an epilogue is included, because I'm hoping that Peeta and Katniss will finally officially get together!

Old January 10th, 2010, 2:56 am
First Year

Oh. My. Gosh. I seriously LOOOOVEEEEEEE The Hunger Games!!!!

Okay, I'm one of the people that was annoyed that Stephanie Meyer recommended it because really, really don't like her. But two of my teachers recommended it and I HAD to read it. I couldn't put it down AT ALL. When I finished it on a weekend I was so angry at myself for finishing it before I could get the second one.
Then the second one was AMAZING!!!!! The end... GAH! I can't wait until August! Especially with how THAT ended. I don't think I've ever been more mad at an author for writing something AMAZING (well actually, I've been mad at Scott Westerfeld for making me feel too connected to his characters...)

anyway, when I heard it was a movie, I nearly fell out of my bed (my friend texted it to me and I was napping at the time). But I didn't know that Suzanne Collins herself is going to be writing it! THAT'LL MAKE IT THE BEST MOVIE ADAPTION EVER!!!!! I seriously can't wait!!

Old January 10th, 2010, 5:38 pm
Third Year

I had read the first book before seeing that SMeyer had recommended it on the back of Catching Fire. I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise.

I loved the first one--and I can hardly stand to read first person stories, except for the actual Games. I thought they would be different, not this typical survival thing.

The second one was mostly 2/3rds psychobabble, but enjoyable after page 205 in the US hardback version.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old February 26th, 2010, 2:38 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I just finished The Hunger Games, and while it was pretty reminiscent of The Running Man, I thought it was really well done, and I really liked how it was a set up for a much larger story. I really enjoy books about dystopian societies, so this was pretty much right up my alley.

I particularly liked:
The contrast between the colorful, modern, squeaky clean Capitol and the grubbiness of District 12. I thought it was really good political commentary to play up the idea that some wealthier districts train specific children for the games, while others are too busy working and starving and just trying to survive daily life. I recall near the end of the story Katniss wonders what she would possibly do with all of her time if she didn't have to hunt daily to provide food for her family.

I felt that Peeta's love was genuine from the start and that Katniss was put in a really unfair position. She probably does love him to some extent, but when you're in an extreme situation it is hard to know what is real. It's sort of like those silly reality TV shows like "The Bachelor" as soon as the show is over the love fades because it didn't happen in a natural way to begin.

I loved that Katniss remembered throughout that they were playing a game. Knew what the gamemasters would do, what would satiate the crowd. I thought that was a really good way of showing that she didn't lose herself in the game.

Personally I was more touched by Katniss and Rue than the love story of her and Peeta. But it was Peeta who planted the seed in her mind to stay true to herself, which is what made Rue's death so sad and beautiful.

Ick, I didn't know S Meyer recommends The Hunger Games. I don't like her work at all, but I guess she has good taste. I was listening to the Hogs Head podcast and Travis Prinze recommended it. I agree with most of what he has to say and he was very excited about the first two books, so I ran out to the bookstore and picked them up.

Anyway, going to start the next one tomorrow then will have to patiently wait until the 3rd one comes out.

Last edited by HMN; February 26th, 2010 at 2:40 am.
Old February 27th, 2010, 9:26 pm

OK, I finished Catching Fire since the last time I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
I want to know what happened to him at the end of CF so badly.

I ended up buying CF too. The whole District 13 conspiracy theory of an underground society and the rebellions were my favourite parts, along with Haymitch's time in the arena. The concept of them being thrown back into the arena for the new Quarter Quell was such a cruel twist. But I was so enthused in the rebellion plot, that to me, the arena was a distraction from the part of the story I wanted to know. But it was still a great read, I can't believe we have to wait until next year to find out what happens. I particularly want to know the fate of Peeta, poor guy
Me too. I can't believe they left us hanging like that at the end of CF! I was judging by how many pages were left in the book when the Quarter Quell started that the games would be VERY short or they would somehow be interrupted. As soon as they separated Peeta and Katniss I knew something bad was going to happen.

When Cinna transformed the wedding dress into the mockingjay I was floored. I knew it was certain death for him, but it also showed how many people are really on the side of a rebellion.

I am also very interested to see what District 13 has to offer, who else they have with them to lead the rebellion and how it will all end.

Quote:
Definitely, I'm usually hesitant at the idea of my favourite books being adapted into movies, because my main concern is that it won't capture the essence of the original. But the author herself writing it was a good enough guarantee for me. As for castings, for some reason I keep on finding an actor that I think is perfect for the role, then find out he's English not American. For example, I keep picturing Alex Pettyfer as Peeta. To me, he's perfect. And if he were a bit younger, Ben Barnes (Prince Caspian in Narnia) for Gale. But they're both English. As for Katniss, I saw someone suggest Kristin Stewart somewhere... I sincerely hope the casting directors don't think the same way, to me she doesn't capture Katniss at all. I can't seem to think of a person I'd like to see cast as her.
No, no, no we can't have kristen stewart as Katniss. Katniss doesn't play with her hair constantly and pout. Please no. We need a fighter, someone who is fierce. Not that I have anyone in mind but after Adventureland and Twilight I know that I do not want Kristen Stewart. Actually I'd probably skip the movie if she was the lead.

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:23 pm
Fourth Year

I finished the first one this week but I've asked for the second for my birthday so I have to wait a month until I can read it

I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, it threw me off being written in present tense but once I got used to that I got sucked in

I could tell from the beginning that Peeta was in love with Katniss - I think I was up to chapter 6 and then I decided to skip to the last page to see if my suspicions were right I'm a sucker for spoilers. So for the beginning part of the games I was wondering how both of them would survive, and then there was the announcement saying that both tributes from a district could win and I thought that was it. I was not expecting them to change the rules again. Am I the only one who thinks that they changed the rules in the first place just because of the Peeta/Katniss thing going on?

Can't wait to read Catching Fire, and the last book comes out in August (I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN
No, no, no we can't have kristen stewart as Katniss. Katniss doesn't play with her hair constantly and pout. Please no. We need a fighter, someone who is fierce. Not that I have anyone in mind but after Adventureland and Twilight I know that I do not want Kristen Stewart. Actually I'd probably skip the movie if she was the lead.
I agree, she doesn't seem much of a fighter, although I did watch her in The Messengers and she was quite good. I don't think she's strong enough to play Katniss, and maybe a bit too old - isn't she 20 this year and Katniss is supposed to be 16? I think it's likely that it'll be an unknown who gets the part, but then again I don't know many young actresses.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:35 pm
Sixth Year

I love these books! I wish there was more info on the movie coming about. And I agree that KStew would not make a good Katniss. I just hope that Summit doesn't end up with this movie, or you'll have 1/2 the Twilight cast in it.

Anyway. I thought Catching Fire dragged a bit then picked up about halfway through. The ending killed me though!
From District 12 being gone and District 13 coming back(?) or found, to Peeta missing/with the Capitol, and Gale with Katniss killed me. I'm a Peeta fan, so to have Gale show up didn't thrill me I'm thinking Gale will be making more of an appearance in Mockingjay

I enjoyed Finnick in the second book and I think Finnick is one of my new favorite characters!

ETA: found this little bit on mockingjay.net about the movie. Comingsoon talked to someone from Lionsgate about the movie. They said that Suzanne Collins is working on the script right now, and they hope to start filming this fall with a fall or winter 2011 release.

Last edited by katana; March 13th, 2010 at 4:09 am.
Old March 14th, 2010, 4:13 pm
First Year

'The Hunger Games'-books are one of my favorites. I had won the first book with a writing contest and from the first time I read it, I was stuck. I think it has an original storyline, a surprising plot and interesting characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
I enjoyed Finnick in the second book and I think Finnick is one of my new favorite characters!
Finnick was one of the best new characters in Catching Fire!

And Kirsten Stewart as Katniss is a big no no.

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."

Old March 24th, 2010, 3:36 am

Finnick! And Johanna! I loved all the victors actually - well except for the careers but I'm not supposed to like them am I?

I loved how THG really lead into CF, and can't wait to see where Mockingjay takes us.

I loved the whole Quarter Quell, all the victors working together, the design of the arena and the break out.

After reading both books twice though I am so amazed at how well Haymitch's character is written. We are so convinced that he's a drunk that we don't see what a mastermind he is. In THG during the reaping he makes a drunken slur about rebellion, and then he makes another comment after Cinna has Katniss and Peeta hold hands, "Nice and rebellious" he says.

I also found the whole idea that the games give all the victors nightmares, drives them crazy, makes them turn to drink or drugs to get through their normal everyday lives so frightening. That they never escape the arena. The capitol remakes their bodies, but can't fix their memories.

Also, how long should we keep spoiler tags going in this thread. The first two books have been out for some time - should we just post openly?

Old March 25th, 2010, 7:57 pm

I've started a social group to chat about why The Hunger Games books are so awesome! Come on over!

http://www.cosforums.com/group.php?groupid=437

Old March 27th, 2010, 5:01 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
Anyway. I thought Catching Fire dragged a bit then picked up about halfway through. The ending killed me though!
From District 12 being gone and District 13 coming back(?) or found, to Peeta missing/with the Capitol, and Gale with Katniss killed me. I'm a Peeta fan, so to have Gale show up didn't thrill me I'm thinking Gale will be making more of an appearance in Mockingjay
I agree! That cliffhanger is driving me nuts!!! NOT PEETA!! O.O And yeah I think we'll see more Gale in Mockingjay I love him and all but seriously, he's getting in the way! I'm just hoping that being away from Peeta will make Katniss finally be able to sort out her muddled feelings and realize that Peeta is her true love, and she only loves Gale as a friend.

Quote:
I liked Finnick, too, but I didn't really feel as connected to him as a lot of other people did. Him and Johanna are my favorite new characters. Johanna's so fiesty. I love her "Whole country in rebellion? Wouldn't want that!" comment. And I have a feeling that she has a whole other side to her. She says in CF that there's no one left she loves, so that's probably why she's so rude and defiant. In THG it says she won her Games by pretending to be weak and then coming out fighting. But what if she wasn't pretending? What if she actually was softer, but then she became hard and angry because she lost everything?
I think that if Peeta and her escape from the Capitol and go on the run together, Peeta, being the sweetie that he is, will try to get to know her and then she might open up and we'll get to know more about her.

I hope we find out more about Finnick and Annie's story, too. That puts a lot of depth in Finnick's character.

Quote:
ETA: found this little bit on mockingjay.net about the movie. Comingsoon talked to someone from Lionsgate about the movie. They said that Suzanne Collins is working on the script right now, and they hope to start filming this fall with a fall or winter 2011 release.
Yes, I heard about that to! So excited. I just hope that since Suzanne is finished with Mockingjay (isn't she?) she'll get writing on the script so we can have more movie news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Also, how long should we keep spoiler tags going in this thread. The first two books have been out for some time - should we just post openly?
Hmmm, idk, some people might read THG and come straight here because they liked it so much before they read CF. So I think if we decide to post openly, we should at least edit the first post and put a spoiler warning, if there isn't one there already. I do want to start posting openly, though; putting spoiler tags in is getting annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I've started a social group to chat about why The Hunger Games books are so awesome! Come on over!

http://www.cosforums.com/group.php?groupid=437
Yes yes COME!

Oh yeah, I thought I might as well post a link to my livejournal...I made it in honor of Peeta and and have a few Hunger Games fanfics and icons over there, if anyone would be interested. My current avi is actually one of them, from Rue's lullaby.

Old March 29th, 2010, 7:03 am
Fourth Year

I love The Hunger Games and Catching Fire!!! I cannot wait until Mockingjay comes out! I'm Team peeta all the way! I think I like Catching Fire better and this book is my second favorite series only behind HP. The cliffy at the end of CF really killed me, though. I have have a mockingjay pin from Boarders and it's really cool looking.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction