Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

Old December 8th, 2008, 2:02 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes?
Twilight. Everyone might hate them on this site, but at school everyone's somehow managed to fall in love with them....

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book?
Well everyone's obsessed with romance, well the girls are anyways, and they've all fallen in love with Edward and they somehow manage to connect with Bella, which just really really disgusts me because I see Bella as shallow, unobservant and superficial. And Edward just annoys me a little. He's not as awful as Bella but it's so annoying how Bella goes on and on about him.

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?
It's the opposite for me. I used to love Twilight, but after giving it another read and thinking about it, I realized how awful it was.

5. Do you feel it is worthwhile to give disliked books a second chance?
I've done it before. I used to hate Harry Potter because it just bored me at first but after giving it a second chance, it's become my absolute favorite book series The same happened with The Little Princess and The Secret Garden. Maybe I would've liked Anne of Green Gables if I hadn't lost it but you get my point

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?
I usually reread if I don't like it so not really. I can keep at a book for a long time because a lot have slow beginnings but if i'm 200 pages in and still nothing interesting has happened, i'm definitely not giving it a second chance.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2008, 5:10 pm
Sixth Year

I don't see how The Hunt for Red October can be terrific, unless one is afraid of submarines... I think it a good book to read on holidays, though not a masterpiece of Literature. I suppose that yes, it just isn't your cup of tea.

Old December 9th, 2008, 6:22 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuccalo View Post
I think Twilight is best read as just a fun story. Its a good book to read if you are just sort of between books and not looking for anything really complicated or in depth. As long as you keep in mind that the writing does not live up to the hype, and just try to enjoy the plot and the romance it is a good read.

I think the problem comes when people read it expecting it to be some great literary work, because it is definitely not that. That doesn't mean it isn't fun though. I liked it alot, but you have to just take it for what it is and not expect too much of the actual writing
yeah, well I personally liked the romance, and I kind of related to it, on some levels
personally, there are a couple of books I almost read, but didn't these days...but I can't think of any now
Lord Of the Flies, it was depressing, we had to read it last year for english, it bored me to tears

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Last edited by Insomniatic; December 9th, 2008 at 6:27 am.
Old December 15th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Second Year

I thought Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier was very dull. I gave up within the first 10 pages.

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Sixth Year

That's a book to be read with a catalogue of Vermeer on the other hand.

Old December 16th, 2008, 4:09 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Middlemarch by George Eliot. I know it's supposed to be the apotheosis of the Victorian novel, but I just found it dull.

This is odd, because I love a lot of Eliot's other novels (including Romola, which is often described as unreadable)

Old December 18th, 2008, 12:07 am
Second Year

The Stranger by Camus. Its not that I disagree with the philosophy, but i just found it weird and almost dull. He's always taking naps and just going along with what his friends say, which i know is sort of the point, but i just find it boring.

I think you're cool, and I'd like to be your friend
Old December 18th, 2008, 1:22 am
Second Year

Twilight is the worst book that I ever thought I liked!!!

The characters that ennoy me the most is,

1. Bella

2. Billy

3. The Cullens (exept two)

4. James

Now the others is okay Jacob, Edward, Alice.

But Bella is the worst and I didn't read all of the . . .books.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old December 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm
Second Year

Yeah... my friends are all into Twilight, buti don't really get it
I mean, it's okay that they like it, but.... it's just not my thing. (coming from a person who gets annoyed just hearing about it) So, no... i've never actually read it but just by hearing what it's about i don't like it

Old December 22nd, 2008, 5:13 pm
Seventh Year

Hmm... I don't think there is a book I don't like that my friends/family have read also. I've very selective on books I read, and only slowly branch out to other authors/genres.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:31 am
Second Year

God, a lot of my friends are obsessed with the Clique books and the Twilight books, but I think that they're both pretty stupid. A ton of people really like those books!! I just don't understand it...I guess I just have different taste in books than most people. Although I guess I am sort of a freak, so it makes sense. =D

Old December 24th, 2008, 4:35 am
Seventh Year

I've never read the "Clique", and "Twilight" books. So I don't really know what they are about.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old December 25th, 2008, 2:23 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
That's a book to be read with a catalogue of Vermeer on the other hand.
Touché. I did it that way! it worked!

THE DUCK.

Old December 25th, 2008, 12:19 pm
Inconceivable!

I stopped reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwen about 1/3 of the way through it. I really disliked most of the characters and found the plot to be totally predictable. Everyone else I know loved that book.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; December 26th, 2008 at 2:52 am.
Old December 25th, 2008, 1:30 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

I didn't like "Atonement" Susan. It was very boring and just went on and on. Cecilia annoyed me, as did Robbie. I had to push myself to finish it. I did like how McEwan had written Briony, though. Some parts were good, but I'd rather watch the movie.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old December 26th, 2008, 3:08 am
Qvack...

I do like Atonement, actually. It was a very touching story- but I think it requires a certain train of thought and relaxation mode to be able to enjoy it. There were many occasions when I had to put it down because it wasn't going fast enough for me at the time, and I just picked it back up again later, which overall worked well, but to that extent I agree that it wasn't the greatest book ever.

I have a new one to add to the list and perhaps this will make some good discussion. I recently read "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne- the idea being that the book discloses to you a secret that will help you to achieve self actualisation and to determine the way your life will go.

To be honest, I got nothing from it other than the unhappy sense that in following its advice, I would turn into something I'm not; or try to. It would, I felt, be quite detrimental to my mode of operating day to day.

THE DUCK.

Old December 26th, 2008, 3:59 am
Fifth Year

1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes?
-Twilight, The Chronicles of Narnia, Romeo and Juliet, and anything by Dickens.

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book?
-Twilight: purple prose, Mary Sues, epic plot failure, extreme lack of character development, and many, many more reasons.
-Narnia: I read all the books when i was kid....and forgot them all, except the one the first movie was about. and I only remember what that one was about because i watched the movie.
-Romeo and Juliet: Their romance was a sham. I hate sham-like romances. In fact I generally hate romance novels (and romance plays, in this case).
-Dickens: Okay, I've read a fair amount of classics, and I usually like them. But Dickens is just unreadable to me.

3. Can a hyped-up book/series actually nurture that rare breed that you are in not liking it?
-Definitely.

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?
-Yeah. I tried A Tale of Two Cities twice and still hated it.

5. Do you feel it is worthwhile to give disliked books a second chance?
-Yeah.

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?
-I've resolved to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia one of these days. I feel like since i read it as a kid I didn't really understand it and that's why I forgot it all so effeciently.

Old December 27th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I have a new one to add to the list and perhaps this will make some good discussion. I recently read "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne- the idea being that the book discloses to you a secret that will help you to achieve self actualisation and to determine the way your life will go.

To be honest, I got nothing from it other than the unhappy sense that in following its advice, I would turn into something I'm not; or try to. It would, I felt, be quite detrimental to my mode of operating day to day.
'The Secret' is both inspiring and infuriating. It's nothing special, aside from it's lucrative success. Just your basic pop-philosophy dressed up in a shiny new package to make it seem new.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old December 27th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
'The Secret' is both inspiring and infuriating. It's nothing special, aside from it's lucrative success. Just your basic pop-philosophy dressed up in a shiny new package to make it seem new.
Thank you. I thought that was just me. People walking around ranting and raving about how awesome the entire thing is- and it amounts to nothing that will benefit me. I already live mostly by the philosophy involved in it. Reading about what I do was rather uninspiring, I felt.

Packaging is, admittedly, awesome.

THE DUCK.

Old December 29th, 2008, 7:43 pm
Sixth Year

I read a review of 'The Secret' in which it described it as sometihing like "prefabricated phylosophy": beautiful words, completely hollow behind. No wonder there are so many politicians absolutely charmed by it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction