Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

Old September 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

That reminds me I hate Beowulf and when I tell people they act very surprised! Of course, I read this epic tale when I was in the eighth grade and I may like it better now, but I don't know... I'm just not into that stuff.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
That reminds me I hate Beowulf and when I tell people they act very surprised! Of course, I read this epic tale when I was in the eighth grade and I may like it better now, but I don't know... I'm just not into that stuff.
It's just a big testosterone explosion! *Growl* Kill! *Growl* I killed aren't I amazing? Let's eat meat!

Old September 26th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Qvack...

Ah, Beowulf...

Personally, it never appealed to me. But kala_way was much more proficient in explaining why than I ever could me, to be honest ...

THE DUCK.

Old September 27th, 2008, 5:07 am
Fifth Year

Another question to add: Do you think it's possible to force yourself to like something, especially when you are virtually the only one on the planet who dislikes it?

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old September 27th, 2008, 5:41 am
Gwen's Auntie

I began reading A Confederacy of Dunces, which I'd heard only good things about...I barely made it three chapters into the book before I was so disgusted with it that I took it back to the library that same day.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old September 27th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Another question to add: Do you think it's possible to force yourself to like something, especially when you are virtually the only one on the planet who dislikes it?
No, no I don't. I think things can grow on you, or you can learn to accept things, but liking them when you always hated them so much is lying to yourself, which there is no point in doing, as far as I'm concerned.

THE DUCK.

Old September 27th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Defender of Dogs

Twilight. 'Nuff said.

Old September 27th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

^Yeah, I'm with DeathlyH on that one. Which leads me to this:
Quote:
I reread the first Twilight and half-convinced myself it wasn't as bad as I originally thought, partly because I couldn't get the story out of my head and that frustrated me, but mostly because I just couldn't believe that something that was so popular, and so well-loved elsewhere, could really be so atrocious. It helped to find out that most of the readers of Twilight disliked Bella as a character just as much, but it didn't change my opinion of the story, or the writing, or the flat characters one jot. But I did try, haha. So to answer your question: It didn't work. Your initial gut reaction is usually the right one, and it doesn't make much sense to try to change that.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old September 27th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Fourth Year

What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes?

Jane Eyre. Oh my god, everyone loves that book, but I hate it so much. I'll admit I usually hate books in that genre, but there something about that book that just makes me hate more than other books of its genre. I think people love Jane Eyre because they can relate to Jane and they feel bad for Rochester, but I really hate people like Jane and Rochester, so I just really hate the book.

Last edited by PerfectDystopia; September 27th, 2008 at 10:16 pm.
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Do you think it's possible to force yourself to like something, especially when you are virtually the only one on the planet who dislikes it?
Absolutely! I think people do it all the time with all sorts of different things--from smoking, to certain kinds of alcohol, to some music/TV/movies, all sorts of things--including books. I'm sure there were tons of people who read Harry Potter because it was a fad and convinced themselves they liked it. They usually end up being the fickle fans who move on as soon as their friends do. It probably just depends on personality and how strong your opinion is, but mostly the reason you dislike it. There are some books that I really hated the style of writing when I first read it, but I came to appreciate it more later and was able to get past it and enjoy the story. Just depends I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia View Post
Jane Eyre. Oh my god, everyone loves that book, but I hate it so much. I'll admit I usually hate books in that genre, but there something about that book that just makes me hate more than other books of its genre. I think people love Jane Eyre because they can relate to Jane and they feel bad for Rochester, but I really hate people like Jane and Rochester, so I just really hate the book.
Jane Eyre's one of my all time favorites. I wouldn't say that I can relate to her, because I think she's way too much of a mouse in some things and I would have screamed and kicked and forced my way in her place. But I think the story is really interesting, one unlikely coincidence after another, and I appreciate the way she holds tenaciously to her core beliefs and stays true to herself when people try to force her to do things.

Last edited by kala_way; September 27th, 2008 at 10:32 pm.
Old September 29th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Sixth Year

Sorry, friends, this is off topic, but as RemusLupinFan took the trouble of asking (something that most of people forgets before making a judgement), I wanted to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I don't know the first thing about that sort of history, but I'm curious as to why people say Da Vinci Code is poorly researched. On the DVD Dan Brown says he spent a year doing research and a year writing the book. Can anyone elaborate on why you think the book is poorly researched (I'm asking this as a personal curiosity, not as a challenge to anyone's statements)?
Let me look for it... Yes, an example: somewhere around page 130, the book says:

Working in concert with France's King Philippe IV, the Pope devised an ingeniously planned sting operation to quash the Templars and seize their treasure, thus taking control of the secrets held over the Vatican. In a ilitary maneuver worthy of the CIA, Pope Clement issued secret sealed orders to be opened simultaneously by his soldiers all across Europe on Friday, October 13 of 1307.

In any decent (and serious) History book devoted to the Templars you'll find that the massive Templar arrests were not ordered by the Pope, but by the King of France; that the order, coming from the King, extended all through France but, obviously, not beyond its borders (and certainly not all across Europe). It took months for the Pope to sanction King Philip's actions; actually, and if I'm not mistaken, he finally ordered the dissolution of the Order, but left every country more or less free to arrange things concerning the fate of the Knights and their properties. For instance, in Spain and Portugal, deeply inmersed in the Reconquest (in the 1300's half the Peninsula was under Muslim control), they were not imprisoned or killed; on the contrary, they were allowed to join other military orders and go on fighting the Moors. Had Pope Clement been, as they books says, asked by God to cleanse the earth by rounding up all the Knights and torturing them until they confessed their crimes against God, he would not allowed the Templars mix in other orders and pollute them.

Well, you see. If this is an accidental mistake, it's huge enough for the daughter of a History teacher who's read a couple of books noticing it. That's very big, because, when I'm reading a novel, I'm not usually looking for goofs or checking historical data; I'm not usually that geek! But this one shocked me very much. I must say that after that passage I was unable to take the book seriously, even if before it was not making a fan of me.

Old September 29th, 2008, 7:54 pm
I want to believe

Thanks for the info, MmeBergerac! Being someone who doesn't know much about history, I'd never pick up on the inaccuracies. But I can identify with thinking less of something if there is something inconsistent or inaccurate in the work (though in this particular case, the historical inaccuracies pointed out in Da Vinci Code don't make me like the books any less). I usually attack things from a scientific point of view rather than a historical one, being a science graduate.
Quote:
Do you think it's possible to force yourself to like something, especially when you are virtually the only one on the planet who dislikes it?
No, I don't think I could force myself to like anything, even if all my friends love it and rave about it. I'm somewhat picky when it comes to my reading material, so I am unable to make myself like something even if people I know like it.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:56 am
Fourth Year

Oh man, I hate the book Rainbow Fish. I remember crying because it made me so mad.

Old October 10th, 2008, 10:17 am
First Year

Pride and Prejudice. Seriously. I just don't get why everyone loves it. It is BORING!

Old October 12th, 2008, 10:00 am
Second Year

Eragorn.. i couldn't get into it.

Old October 12th, 2008, 11:05 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Dickens. Forced myself to read 2 or 3 of his novels, but I just found them turgid, dull, and the way he keeps smugly pointing out his own jokes, just in case you missed them the first time....aagh!

Old October 12th, 2008, 11:13 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucious View Post
I'm going to second this.It was too boring for me.Paolini's writing was good, but it meandered a lot..and The Eldest, to me, was pure torture.My friend made me read it and I hated it.I returned the book half way-something I never do.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 15th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Second Year

I don't know.... I enjoyed them.... *shrugs*.... The worst book was Emma by Jane Austen.... I can read through P&P most perfectly but I couldn't read over twenty pages of Emma.... And Gone With The Wind was also bad,imo... but everyone else say that it's a really good book.... I have no idea what they see in it,imo...

Old October 15th, 2008, 6:04 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucious View Post
I couldn't either, I read the first 80 pages or so and gave up. *snore*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Dickens. Forced myself to read 2 or 3 of his novels, but I just found them turgid, dull, and the way he keeps smugly pointing out his own jokes, just in case you missed them the first time....aagh!
Thank you!! Someone who agrees with me about Dickens
The only one that's bearable is Christmas Carol, mainly because it's so short and remembering the muppets as each character offsets the snottiness

Old October 15th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
That is a good question. I think it's possible to pretend you like it so you starting it some of the good aspects. You may never fully like the book, but you'll like it more than you previously did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
We had to read Great Expectations in 9th grade. I quote my English teacher. "This book is so boring I will not force you to watch the movie." Thank heavens! I might have died if we watched it.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction